58b. Plankton's Army

WhoBob said:
This episode is underappreciated and It needs more love. Seriously, I love this episode so much. It's classic just like It's partner. It's even on my top 15 SpongeBob episodes. This episode is not just one of the best episodes, It's also my favorite Plankton-themed episode EVER!!! I have many reasons why this episode is amazing. The idea of Plankton and his relatives working together to steal the formula is very creative. The plot was very enjoyable and I didn't get bored when I watched this episode. I liked that SpongeBob only appeared in two parts in this episode. Even though he is the main character in this show and he is my favorite character, he doesn't need to appear in many scnees in every episode. It was great seeing Plankton's relatives in this episode and we learned more about them. The twist with Plankton's relatives being rednecks was great and very funny. This episode is also hilarious. I laughed at many parts in this episode. Almost every character in this episode was very funny, especially Karen. I couldn't stop laughing at Karen showing Plankton's first name "SHELDON" on the screen and I laughed how Plankton reacted when he saw his first name on the screen. Plankton asking Mr. Krabs nicely to get the formula and Mr. Krabs saying "No!" was funny. The parts with Plankton getting squashed was hilarious. Clem, one of Plankton's cousins, introducing the other family members to Plankton was funny. Plankton saying "I have the restaurant surrounded. Give me the secret formula or I'll destroy the Krusty Krab!", then Mr. Krabs saying "Ah, you and what army, bug?", then Plankton saying "What army? What army?! Look around you, Krabs!", then Mr. Krabs saying "You planted grass?" and then Plankton and his relatives laughing at him was very funny. The most important ingredient of the fake formula being Plankton and hen Plankton running back to Chum Bucket cracked me yup. Squdward's final line in this episode was funny too. I gave this episode 10/10.
cringe post

whatever cuz it's underrated and it's my favorite episode of all-time. Every gag is pretty much priceless.

This episode I love, a real highlight of my childhood. It is funny and I felt that the addition of Plankton's relatives brought in most of the humor. Yet this episode feels pretty minimal with setting, but either way is really funny! Also, I like SpongeBob as a character and all, but it feels so refreshing to have him not in an episode for most of it for once! 9/10

TheGreatServer

NOT a Bunny now!
The closest to perfect out of all the ones that weren't in my opinion, If the ending was tweaked, i would of given this perfect, I love everything here.

9.5/10

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
This episode is just awesome. I really like this one. This episode and The Algae's Always Greener are great ways for Season 3 to close out the plankton episodes. This one features a lot of really nice gags and I love how Plankton's family. It's a very great watch, and it could be the end because in Plankton's eyes he found the formula, they didn't leave it ambiguous, there's an actual ending, and that's very nice.

A classic Krabs vs. Plankton episode (no, not THE episode, we'll get to that later). This is pretty much everything you'd expect. Plankton gets an army of other midgets to help him steal the formula, and the twist ending was great.

Ranking so far:
1. Chocolate With Nuts (A+)
2. Snowball Effect (A+)
3. Wet Painters (A+)
4. Krusty Krab Training Video (A+)
5. Can You Spare A Dime? (A+)
6. The Camping Episode (A+)
7. Idiot Box (A+)
8. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V (A)
9. Just One Bite (A)
10. No Weenies Allowed (A)
11. Nasty Patty (A)
12. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV (A)
13. I Had An Accident (A)
14. Rock-A-Bye Bivalve (B)
15. The Bully (B)
16. Doing Time (B)
17. Ugh (B)
18. Squilliam Returns (B)
19. The Algae's Always Greener (B)
20. Plankton's Army (B)
21. Born Again Krabs (B)
22. Krab Borg (B)
23. Missing Identity (B)
24. One Krab's Trash (B)
25. Clams (B)
26. My Pretty Seahorse (C)
27. Club SpongeBob (C)
28. SpongeGuard on Duty (C)
29. New Student Starfish (C)
30. As Seen On TV (D)
31. The Great Snail Race (D)
32. Party Pooper Pants (D)
33. Krabby Land (D)
34. Mid-Life Crustacean (E)

Birds858

Floating Shopping List
A great episode, it’s was very funny and it’s one of my favorite episode featuring Plankton.

9/10

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
I will say I do agree with PGR that it was hyped a little much, but that shouldn't really affect the episode's quality, same goes for Missing Identity.

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
Really liked this one. Plankton's cousins are quite entertaining and the stereotype doesn't really bother me. The ending was handled in quite a clever way and it was also really funny. Also, let's not forget SHELDON. While not as good a Plankton episode as The Algae's Always Greener, it's still pretty dang good, and proof that the writers are incredibly good at making Plankton the best character on the tv show.

Great episode (9/10)

1. Chocolate With Nuts (10)
2. Krusty Krab Training Video (10)
3. Idiot Box (10)
4. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy V (10)
5. Wet Painters (9)
6. The Algae's Always Greener (9)
7. The Camping Episode (9)
8. Snowball Effect (9)
9. Can You Spare A Dime? (9)
10. Rock-A-Bye Bivalve (9)
11. Just One Bite (9)
12. Krab Borg (9)
13. Plankton's Army (9)
14. As Seen On Tv (8)
15. One Krabs Trash (8)
16. I Had An Accident (8)
17. Nasty Patty (8)
18. Mid-Life Crustacean (8)
19. New Student Starfish (8)
20. No Weenies Allowed (8)
21. My Pretty Seahorse (7)
22. Squilliam Returns (7)
23. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy IV (7)
24. Missing Identity (7)
25. The Great Snail Race (7)
26. Clams (7)
27. The Bully (7)
28. Doing Time (7)
29. Ugh (6)
30. Spongeguard on Duty (6)
31. Club Spongebob (6)
32. Born Again Krabs (5)
33. Party Pooper Pants (4)
34. Krabby Land (4)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
A very easy to enjoy episode thats very fun to watch (not alot to explain) its just normal episode i really like!

Rating: Amazing Episode

Rankings:
No Weenies Allowed (Golden)
Idiot Box (Perfect)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V (Perfect)
Krab Borg (Amazing!)
The Camping Episode (Amazing!)
Wet Painters (Amazing!)
The Algaes Always Greener (Amazing!)
Just One Bite (Amazing!)
Plankton's Army (Amazing!)
Squlliam Returns (Amazing!)
My Pretty Seahorse (Delightful)
Krusty Krab Training Video (Astonishing)
The Great Snail Race (Great)
Ugh (Great)
Doing Time (Great)
Snowball Effect (Great)
Mid-Life Crustacean (Great)
One Krabs Trash (Good)
Can you Spare a Dime? (Good)
SpongeGuard on Duty (Okay)
Rock-a-Bye Bivalve (Okay)
Born Again Krabs (Meh)
Club SpongeBob (Meh)
New Student Starfish (Meh)
MMABBIV (Meh)
Missing Identity (Bad)
Clams (Bad)
Nasty Patty (Bad)
The Bully (Bad)
As Seen on TV (Bad)
Party Pooper Pants (Sucky)
Krabby Land (Sucky)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we've got "Plankton's Army". And it is here that I realize how little Plankton actually appeared in this season. He was in what, 3 episodes in this season, not counting this one? It's so funny, that Plankton is such an integral part of the show and always has been, but in these first 3 seasons he did not make very many appearances at all, since he'd yet to be upgraded to main character. Soon we'll be in the era with him being a proper main character (though it would be nice if other "main characters" actually acted like them...Sandy, Mrs. Puff, and Pearl I'm looking at you guys. Yeah, this show lowkey has a misogyny problem, doesn't it? That's a discussion for another day though, because today we're going to talk about this season 3 episode).

Even though Plankton has attempted in previous episodes, this episode really feels like the beginning of the archetypal "Plankton Plot" (as I like to call them) that we're all familiar with. And let me break down what I consider to be a "Plankton Plot", because why not. Firstly, Plankton Plots typically (not always, though these locations must be featured in some capacity) take place almost entirely in the Krusty Krab and/or the Chum Bucket. Secondly, the major plot of the episode is Plankton trying to steal the Krabby Patty Secret Formula. Thirdly, Plankton actually gets close (in order to have some actual tension in the episode), but then fails in some humorous way. So, those are the 3 core elements of a Plankton Plot. And at this point in SpongeBob SquarePants, I feel like only "Plankton!" had completely fulfilled these 3 elements. So I guess really, "Plankton!" started the trend, but "Plankton's Army" made it a pattern.

None of this has any real bearing on the review though, so let me actually get started properly. I like the beginning of this episode, with the montage of Plankton's failures over the years. I think my favorite has to be when he literally just asks for the formula politely, probably because of the subverted expectation of Plankton having a whole scheme. Which by the way, did you know there's a whole page on the SpongeBob wiki for Plankton's schemes? Fun stuff.

Also, speaking of subverted expectations, I love the whole bit with the robot and how it turns out Plankton was in the dollar bill. The whole part where he doesn't know where to go from here is hilarious, and I like that Mr. Krabs is able to counter with a pretty funny joke of his own (followed by a nasty one). Makes for a very enjoyable exchange between the two enemies.

I like how Karen basically roasts Plankton for the entirety of this episode, and that it somehow leads to there being an entire running gag of a montage of Plankton's failures. I prefer when Karen is helpful to Plankton like this, actually giving him ideas for how to successfully steal the Formula. I even more prefer when Plankton actually listens to her. Plankton's failed attempt at getting some club-goers to help him is pretty funny, and I like how it leads him to think of contacting his family. The montage of him doing just that is entertaining enough as well, nothing special there.

"Plankton's Army" delights in subverting expectations, as we, just like Plankton, are stunned when the door opens to reveal the most stereotypically redneck plankton imaginable. For some reason, when typing that, I got reminded of Mel Medarda and her mother in Arcane, if any of you have watched that. Not that either of those characters are rednecks, but the whole being really different from your family thing. But anyway, Plankton is pretty funny in this scene, I love how he gets so tired so fast and just snaps, but manages to regain his composure. I also find it wholesome that Plankton's family is so willing to help him out. I mean, you'd think all of these people would have lives of their own, but they all rushed over to Plankton's aid. It's sweet. And yes, Plankton does promise them rewards, but I mean the fact that they came over in the first place.

And then of course we get one of the more memorable moments in this episode with the whole "Sheldon" gag, which is admittedly pretty funny lol. I always think I'll get tired of it but nope! It's funny every time. Unfortunately from there, though, the episode starts to drag a little. The grass joke is not as funny as I wish it was, although Plankton's laugh has some good visuals. Even Mr. Krabs and Squidward being stuck in the toilet is like...meh. But I will say I do like the part where all the plankton join together to form a hand and an ear, if only because of Mr. Krabs being like "Curse you, Plankton, and your ability to join together to form a working human ear!" You know, now that leaves me with questions. So do the people of Bikini Bottom know what humans are? Or maybe it's just because Mr. Krabs is old and well-traveled. Well, it's actually because the writers were simply making a joke and I'm overthinking it, but hey, that's what I do here.

The episode picks back up again once Plankton has his hands on the Formula and starts reading it. The tension is wonderfully crafted here with every turn of the page, building and building all for that perfect moment, that final reveal that the most important ingredient is...plankton. I like how the toilet magically appears by Plankton's side too, it just makes the joke funnier. We get excellent voice acting from Mr. Lawrence in this scene, as per usual. And I love how Clem just stands there because he can't read. It's those small little touches of humor that make this show so special. Like that definitely did not need to be in there, it wouldn't have felt like a missed joke opportunity if it wasn't, but they put it there anyway.

The ending of this episode is also great. I wonder where SpongeBob was the whole time anyway. And I like how Squidward hardly plays a role in this episode, just to provide audiences with the ending stinger of Mr. Krabs running home just like Plankton did, cursing Squidward's name. It's a good way to close out the episode.

"Plankton's Army" is a pretty good episode. It's also another one of these later season 3 episodes that fly under the radar. Now, I mean, I'm not going to say that it should be a super popular episode, because I don't think that at all. No, "Plankton's Army" is good, but it's nothing special. Just the ending is delightfully morbid. And even though my first instinct is to rate this episode higher than what my final rating is, upon real reflection I think this episode fits best in my "Good" tier. It has some great jokes, but they're spread throughout the episode, the rest either being middling or not landing at all. And the slow part in the middle really seals the deal for me.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score: 7.8/10

Back