56b. I Had An Accident

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, here at the beginning of my end-of-the month time crunch, we've got "I Had An Accident"! I think the only word that can properly describe this episode is "bizarre". It's just a very interesting, very odd episode. And I kind of love it for that. So let's discuss!

I like how this episode begins, with SpongeBob, Patrick, and Sandy all sandboarding at Sand Mountain. Fun fact, Sand Mountain has my favorite theme (along with Bikini Bottom since they use the same theme) in all of "Battle For Bikini Bottom"! Some of you guys may know that, given I made an arrangement of it on YouTube a couple years back, but I just wanted to share. Speaking of that game, I feel like all the sliding animations of SpongeBob, Patrick, and Sandy were based on this episode lol. Anyway, I like that they are all just hanging out and having fun doing this sport. The dynamic between these 3 had only been utilized a handful of times by this point, so it still feels relatively new in this episode. I also think this episode is a great example of the dynamic between these 3, especially because we get a lot of Sandy and Patrick interactions, something far less common than the other two combinations.

Anyway, back to the actual events of this episode, "I Had An Accident" comes out the gate swinging with the Patrick joke within the first few seconds. I love how the first minute kind of implies that Sandy is teaching SpongeBob and Patrick how to sandboard, which I think is cute. Sure, that may not be what's happening, but it could be. This first part of the episode really is just full of great jokes. I love SpongeBob's impression of Squidward (it's always a fun treat to see SpongeBob making fun of Squidward), and the fact that Squidward is even on the mountain in the first place to complain about it is hilarious. The jokes get even better once SpongeBob starts falling, and the exchange between Sandy and Patrick is iconic and some of the best material this episode has to offer.

This is where the episode starts to show elements of being...weird, considering the whole plot is that SpongeBob broke his [redacted for censorship], sorry, I mean broke his butt. The Iron Butt thing is so absurdly hilarious, poor Tom. Like I really just have to know whose idea it was to have SpongeBob break his butt and not like...his arm or something. Because it really just enhances this episode, especially once SpongeBob starts walking home, mulling over the dangers of the outside world. It's here that we see the episode start reveling in its absurdity with the 7-mile spanking machine. I...have so many questions. And as I've gotten older, this joke has started to feel increasingly more adult to me, which I don't know if it even was an adult joke or if we're all just dirty-minded heathens. Squidward's second cameo of the episode is also hilarious and really seals the scene.

Moving on, when SpongeBob locks himself inside his house, this is where the comedic gold between Sandy and Patrick really amps up. Even from their second introduction of the episode, with Patrick having that awkward timing still piggybacking off of Sandy, this duo just keeps me cracking up throughout. Sandy is just so very done with Patrick in this episode, and I love it. She also becomes very done with SpongeBob too, which yeah, warranted. Tom Kenny does a great job, as always, voicing SpongeBob this episode. His paranoia-filled insanity is just made so clear by the false calm in his voice. The animators and artists in this episode also did a similarly great job making SpongeBob's house seem almost eerie with the single light on, and SpongeBob sitting in such an odd position.

From here the episode spends the rest of its time on Sandy and Patrick's attempts to get SpongeBob out of his pineapple. The humor in this segment really just comes from one joke, with the old man, but it's a joke that keeps on giving and keeps this segment of the episode from becoming boring.

And then of course, we have the final attempt, which is where this episode goes from "odd" to "weird" and then lastly to "downright bizarre". I love how this part is written too. First, when Patrick in the gorilla costume starts "attacking" Sandy, we're like SpongeBob, knowing this plan absolutely won't work and being unconvinced. But then the second Patrick comes onto the scene making everyone go like "what?". From here, we move into "weird" territory, where it turns out that the second Patrick is a real (live-action) gorilla. Live-action in SpongeBob SquarePants is always done well, and this part is no exception. The fact that they kept to their low production values with the badly photoshopped person in a gorilla costume just makes the whole thing, and this entire scene is so hilarious and absurd. Seeing Sandy and Patrick's situation just get worse and worse is so funny, because literally why is the gorilla doing this lmao.

It's nice to see SpongeBob gather up the courage to save his friends, even if it does end up with him being ripped in half. I love that he just has a conversation with himself while being so completely maimed. And from here, the episode dials up the weird knob moving to being outright bizarre as SpongeBob questions why a gorilla is in the ocean in the first place. All you can do is laugh and stare in confusion as the gorilla claims to George, another badly photoshopped live-action animal, that "they" are onto them, and they ride off into the sunset. I love that the episode then ends with yet another live-action gag, this time with an entire family looking on in confusion as the parents turn the TV off. All I'm saying is that I want whatever drugs the writers were on when they made this episode.

"I Had An Accident" is such a beautifully bizarre episode. It reminds me of one of the other strangest episodes of this show, "Cuddle E. Hugs". Except that episode gets weird a lot faster than this one does, and I think both approaches (slow-build and immediate) work just fine for me. Anyway, I think "I Had An Accident" is a pretty funny episode with just a very...interesting plot. I really have no problems with this episode whatsoever, though obviously I find myself questioning...many of the elements in it. It has well-earned its spot on my "Amazing" tier, and I think it should be talked about more. I really just want to know the story behind this episode.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Next up, here at the beginning of my end-of-the month time crunch, we've got "I Had An Accident"! I think the only word that can properly describe this episode is "bizarre". It's just a very interesting, very odd episode. And I kind of love it for that. So let's discuss!

I like how this episode begins, with SpongeBob, Patrick, and Sandy all sandboarding at Sand Mountain. Fun fact, Sand Mountain has my favorite theme (along with Bikini Bottom since they use the same theme) in all of "Battle For Bikini Bottom"! Some of you guys may know that, given I made an arrangement of it on YouTube a couple years back, but I just wanted to share. Speaking of that game, I feel like all the sliding animations of SpongeBob, Patrick, and Sandy were based on this episode lol. Anyway, I like that they are all just hanging out and having fun doing this sport. The dynamic between these 3 had only been utilized a handful of times by this point, so it still feels relatively new in this episode. I also think this episode is a great example of the dynamic between these 3, especially because we get a lot of Sandy and Patrick interactions, something far less common than the other two combinations.

Anyway, back to the actual events of this episode, "I Had An Accident" comes out the gate swinging with the Patrick joke within the first few seconds. I love how the first minute kind of implies that Sandy is teaching SpongeBob and Patrick how to sandboard, which I think is cute. Sure, that may not be what's happening, but it could be. This first part of the episode really is just full of great jokes. I love SpongeBob's impression of Squidward (it's always a fun treat to see SpongeBob making fun of Squidward), and the fact that Squidward is even on the mountain in the first place to complain about it is hilarious. The jokes get even better once SpongeBob starts falling, and the exchange between Sandy and Patrick is iconic and some of the best material this episode has to offer.

This is where the episode starts to show elements of being...weird, considering the whole plot is that SpongeBob broke his [redacted for censorship], sorry, I mean broke his butt. The Iron Butt thing is so absurdly hilarious, poor Tom. Like I really just have to know whose idea it was to have SpongeBob break his butt and not like...his arm or something. Because it really just enhances this episode, especially once SpongeBob starts walking home, mulling over the dangers of the outside world. It's here that we see the episode start reveling in its absurdity with the 7-mile spanking machine. I...have so many questions. And as I've gotten older, this joke has started to feel increasingly more adult to me, which I don't know if it even was an adult joke or if we're all just dirty-minded heathens. Squidward's second cameo of the episode is also hilarious and really seals the scene.

Moving on, when SpongeBob locks himself inside his house, this is where the comedic gold between Sandy and Patrick really amps up. Even from their second introduction of the episode, with Patrick having that awkward timing still piggybacking off of Sandy, this duo just keeps me cracking up throughout. Sandy is just so very done with Patrick in this episode, and I love it. She also becomes very done with SpongeBob too, which yeah, warranted. Tom Kenny does a great job, as always, voicing SpongeBob this episode. His paranoia-filled insanity is just made so clear by the false calm in his voice. The animators and artists in this episode also did a similarly great job making SpongeBob's house seem almost eerie with the single light on, and SpongeBob sitting in such an odd position.

From here the episode spends the rest of its time on Sandy and Patrick's attempts to get SpongeBob out of his pineapple. The humor in this segment really just comes from one joke, with the old man, but it's a joke that keeps on giving and keeps this segment of the episode from becoming boring.

And then of course, we have the final attempt, which is where this episode goes from "odd" to "weird" and then lastly to "downright bizarre". I love how this part is written too. First, when Patrick in the gorilla costume starts "attacking" Sandy, we're like SpongeBob, knowing this plan absolutely won't work and being unconvinced. But then the second Patrick comes onto the scene making everyone go like "what?". From here, we move into "weird" territory, where it turns out that the second Patrick is a real (live-action) gorilla. Live-action in SpongeBob SquarePants is always done well, and this part is no exception. The fact that they kept to their low production values with the badly photoshopped person in a gorilla costume just makes the whole thing, and this entire scene is so hilarious and absurd. Seeing Sandy and Patrick's situation just get worse and worse is so funny, because literally why is the gorilla doing this lmao.

It's nice to see SpongeBob gather up the courage to save his friends, even if it does end up with him being ripped in half. I love that he just has a conversation with himself while being so completely maimed. And from here, the episode dials up the weird knob moving to being outright bizarre as SpongeBob questions why a gorilla is in the ocean in the first place. All you can do is laugh and stare in confusion as the gorilla claims to George, another badly photoshopped live-action animal, that "they" are onto them, and they ride off into the sunset. I love that the episode then ends with yet another live-action gag, this time with an entire family looking on in confusion as the parents turn the TV off. All I'm saying is that I want whatever drugs the writers were on when they made this episode.

"I Had An Accident" is such a beautifully bizarre episode. It reminds me of one of the other strangest episodes of this show, "Cuddle E. Hugs". Except that episode gets weird a lot faster than this one does, and I think both approaches (slow-build and immediate) work just fine for me. Anyway, I think "I Had An Accident" is a pretty funny episode with just a very...interesting plot. I really have no problems with this episode whatsoever, though obviously I find myself questioning...many of the elements in it. It has well-earned its spot on my "Amazing" tier, and I think it should be talked about more. I really just want to know the story behind this episode.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9/10
the ending to this episode is the most spongebob ending ever

Back