39b. The Fry Cook Games

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
This episode is awesome, the visuals, gags, and characters make this a solid episode. 9.5/10

SquiddlyPie

random gal
I love this episode , it is so unique , so funny...seeing Patrick working for the Chum Bucket was also funny....the activities SB and Patrick did were enjoyable too, 10/10

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
A really good action-packed and funny episode, it's a bit slow but I liked all the events, the fight at the end of the episode, the fanfare at the beginning and my favourite part where that huge muscular fish screams Ahhhhh in a really funny voice.

10/10

I'll be honest, I was never that big a fan of this episode. It took so long for the plot to get started, and there's not a whole lot of jokes. But everything else in this episode is just fine.

Ranking so far:
1. Sailor Mouth (A+)
2. Graveyard Shift (A+)
3. Patty Hype (A+)
4. Band Geeks (A+)
5. Survival of the Idiots (A+)
6. Pressure (A+)
7. Big Pink Loser (A+)
8. Shanghaied (A)
9. Life of Crime (A)
10. Dying For Pie (A)
11. Christmas Who? (A)
12. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III (A)
13. Squidville (A)
14. Gary Takes a Bath (A)
15. Squid's Day Off (A)
16. Welcome to the Chum Bucket (B)
17. Imitation Krabs (B)
18. Krusty Love (B)
19. Frankendoodle (B)
20. No Free Rides (B)
21. Squirrel Jokes (B)
22. Procrastination (B)
23. Your Shoe's Untied (B)
24. I'm Your Biggest Fanatic (B)
25. Prehibernation Week (B)
26. Something Smells (B)
27. Jellyfish Hunter (B)
28. Wormy (C)
29. The Fry Cook Games (C)
30. The Smoking Peanut (C)
31. Bossy Boots (C)
32. The Secret Box (C)
33. Bubble Buddy (C)
34. I'm With Stupid (D)
35. Artist Unknown (D)
36. Dumped (E)
37. Grandma's Kisses (F)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This is a really cool episode. There's lots of fun visual gags, and the humor is spot on in this one. Sure, it does take too long for the plot to get started, but it's just so funny and Spongebob and Patrick's rivalry is just so entertaining. This episode also contains my favorite quote from the series, "MY NAME'S...NOT...RIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!". Great stuff.

Great episode (9/10)

1. Graveyard Shift (10)
2. Procrastination (10)
3. Band Geeks (10)
4. Shanghaied (9)
5. Dying For Pie (9)
6. Something Smells (9)
7. Patty Hype (9)
8. Squidville (9)
9. Artist Unknown (9)
10. Welcome to the Chum Bucket (9)
11. Survival of the Idiots (9)
12. The Fry Cook Games (9)
13. Christmas Who? (9)
14. Big Pink Loser (9)
15. Frankendoodle (8)
16. Squid's Day Off (8)
17. Wormy (8)
18. Sailor Mouth (8)
19. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy III (8)
20. The Secret Box (8)
21. Imitation Krabs (8)
22. Life of Crime (8)
23. Krusty Love (7)
24. Prehibernation Week (7)
25. Pressure (7)
26. Jellyfish Hunter (7)
27. Gary Takes A Bath (7)
28. No Free Rides (7)
29. I'm Your Biggest Fanatic (7)
30. The Smoking Peanut (7)
31. Your Shoe's Untied (6)
32. Bossy Boots (6)
33. Dumped (6)
34. I'm With Stupid (6)
35. Bubble Buddy (5)
36. Squirrel Jokes (5)
37. Grandma's Kisses (5)

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
9.5/10

Super good parody of the Olympics. I love the humor, the plot, and overall just is a good episode. My favorite part has to be the fighting scene, as it is home to, "MY NAMES, NOT RICK!!".

Big Pink Loser: (10/10)
Something Smells: (10/10)
Squidville: (10/10)
Imitation Krabs: (10/10)
Patty Hype: (10/10)
Sailor Mouth: (9.5/10)
The Fry Cook Games: (9.5/10)
Christmas Who?: (9.5/10)
Procrastination: (9.5/10)
FrankenDoodle: (9.5/10)
Shanghaied: (9.5/10)
Jellyfish Hunter: (9.5/10)
Squids Day Off: (9.5/10)
Dying for Pie: (9/10)
Graveyard Shift: (9/10)
Welcome to the Chum Bucket: (9/10)
Band Geeks: (9/10)
MM&BB III: (9/10)
No Free Rides: (9/10)
Wormy: (9/10)
Your Shoes Untied: (9/10)
Survival of the Idiots: (8.5/10)
I'm Your Biggest Fanatic: (8.5/10)
Bossy Boots: (8.5/10)
The Smoking Peanut: (8/10)
The Secret Box: (8/10)
Artist Unknown: (7/10)
Pre-Hibernation Week: (6.5/10)
Grandma's Kisses: (6.5/10)
Life of Crime: (5.5/10)
Gary Takes A Bath: (5/10)
Krusty Love: (4.5/10)
Bubble Buddy: (4/10)
Squirrel Jokes: (3.5/10)
Dumped: (1.5/10)
I'm With Stupid: (1.5/10)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
A very funny episode! That big guy was funny! It also spawned "MY NAMES NOT RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!"!

Rating: Perfect Episode

Rankings:
Graveyard Shift (Golden)
Dying For Pie (Golden)
Band Geeks (Golden)
Survival of the Idiots (Golden)
Krusty Love (Perfect)
Frankendoodle (Perfect)
Shanghaied (Perfect)
Pressure (Perfect)
The Fry Cook Games (Perfect)
Big Pink Loser (Perfect)
Artist Unknown (Amazing!)
No Free Rides (Amazing!)
MMABBIII (Delightful)
Christmas Who? (Sublime)
Imitation Krabs (Superb)
Sailor Mouth (Awesome)
The Smoking Peanut (Awesome)
Squidville (Tolerant)
Squid's Day Off (Tolerant)
I'm With Stupid (Great)
Jellyfish Hunter (Great)
The Secret Box (Great)
Life of Crime (Great)
Dumped (Great)
Procrastination (Polite)
Something Smells (Polite)
Bubble Buddy (Polite)
Bossy Boots (Polite)
Gary Takes a Bath (Okay)
Your Shoe's Untied (Dull)
PreHibernation Week (Bad)
Welcome to the Chum Bucket (Bad)
Patty Hype (Sucky)
Wormy (Pathetic)
I'm Your Biggest Fanatic (Stupid)
Grandma's Kisses (Garbage)
Squirrel Jokes (Trash)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up in my unashamedly speedrunning reviews, we have "The Fry Cook Games"! This is a fun spoof on the Olympic Games, and all-around just a very enjoyable episode. I love the environment in this episode, and the whole idea of the fry cook games. I like how even though nobody eats at the Chum Bucket, they're usually a top contender at these games. Love when Plankton gets small wins.

I like the banter between SpongeBob and Patrick in this episode. See, this is how you make Patrick act mean without making him a complete jerkwad! If only the writers would stay consistent on this, because as we go on through the show we're going to be seeing a lot more of this, you already know. But I digress. Fun fact, did you know that M'Wanna plays in this episode? I would say listen carefully when SpongeBob is talking about the honor of bringing home the gold (linked here), but even then I'm not sure if I can hear it haha. But it's there, people have shown that. I wonder why they even put it in if they decided to overlay Heavenly Voices (b) on top of it. Maybe they went with M'Wanna first but then changed their minds and just never got rid of the underlying track? Who knows, I know nothing about sound design.

Anyway, I love that this episode has rivalries on two levels. We've got the ever-present Krabs and Plankton, but then we've got them egging on SpongeBob and Patrick too. It makes for a lot of entertainment as the two best friends try to one up each other. Speaking of Plankton, I really enjoy his entrance in this episode, and his whole "I love messing things up" line, I think that was pretty funny.

The montage of SpongeBob and Patrick competing is pretty entertaining as well, as is the longer scenes of them competing before the montage. The fishsticks thing is hilariously morbid. And I love how SpongeBob and Patrick growl at each other while the huge guy in the background just makes the funniest noise.

And then of course, we have the final fight between SpongeBob and Patrick. I love the bit of Patrick ripping off his clothes to show a suit before his suddenly muscular body, I thought that was a nice touch. The fight itself is alright, but of course it gets much better after "My name's not Rick!". The licking thing was weird and uncomfortable though haha, I feel the same as SpongeBob in that one, just nasty. But then I love what causes the two to realize that the other cares is the color of their underwear, that's just so SpongeBob and Patrick. It makes me think of the scene years later in "Don't Look Now", where the two swap pairs of underwear so they don't have to die in their own underwear. Both of these scenes are very funny to me. I also love that they just decide to walk off to the wonderful sounds of Hooka (or Puka B, if you will), much to everyone's chagrin, and of course Patrick gets one last great line in with "these were white when I bought them". It makes me wonder where Patrick gets his money from anyway...

I like "The Fry Cook Games". I have no problems with it, other than it isn't incredibly funny. But this is less because there are jokes that were tried and failed, and more because there wasn't an abundance of jokes in the first place. But I think this works fine for this episode. I'm bumping it up a tier, to my "Amazing" tier, because there really is nothing wrong with this episode, and I enjoy watching it.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9/10

Back