259b. My Two Krabses

CannedBread

Moby Dollar
4/10 for me, not terrible, but not really memorable, at all. Low on comedy, and it was pretty gross as well. The only thing note worthy was that Mr. Krabs actually feels emotion in this episode, unlike many other episodes.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Well whaddya know, another episode I don’t remember very much! The title is familiar to me, though, so I’m sure as the episode begins, I’ll start remembering more of it. Love a good retrieval cue moment (can you tell I’m taking a class about memory?)

We begin with Squidward complaining about his job, as per usual. This time, he’s complaining about the food and the customers, which again is not very different. As he’s about to enjoy his tastefully packed treats, Mr. Krabs yoinks that straight out of his tentacles, citing a rule about outside food. Well if that’s the case, then rookie move Squidward. The random gag with Patrick saying hello amused me more than I expected. Mr. Krabs tells Squidward not to let anyone bother him, as he’s going to be in the tanning bed getting ready for a hot date…okay let me put my hands together in prayer right now. Do not let this episode be another “Sun Bleached”. Do not let this episode be another “Sun Bleached”. Do. Not. Let. This. Episode. Be. Another. “Sun. Bleached.”

Clearly, I am a manifesting master, because what we get is more like “Squidward The Unfriendly Ghost” instead. Or maybe more like “Krab-Borg”? I don’t know. What I do know is that SpongeBob and Patrick walk into Mr. Krabs’ office because they think something’s wrong, and they see Mr. Krabs shell, surrounded by red, melted ice cream, and so they assume that he literally melted away. Yeah, so when I said those other episodes, I was really avoiding saying the episode I think that this one is going to turn out rather similarly to…”Someone’s in the Kitchen With Sandy”…I know, it hurt my heart to say that. I will not be trading one bad episode for another.

Squidward decides to use this opportunity to F with SpongeBob. I can’t tell if he actually thinks Mr. Krabs is dead and doesn’t care, or if he remembers what Mr. Krabs said about the tanning bed and decides he wants to lead SpongeBob on. I feel like the second option is better for his character. Let him get some trolling on once in a while. i mean, he does do that often, but in a more mean-spirited way. Though convincing SpongeBob that Mr. Krabs is dead and rubbing it in his face is kinda mean-spirited. So maybe ignore those comments. Anyway, Squidward tells SpongeBob about Mr. Krabs’ date, and so SpongeBob comes up with the idea of “filling Mr. Krabs’ shell up with organs”. I’m not even making that up LMAO. So SpongeBob goes straight to the Chum Bucket, which I guess sells guts? Well, chum looks like that half the time so why not. Also I like how they all laugh about Plankton’s whole “secret chum formula thing”. Also the way SpongeBob says “love you” when leaving is cute.

SpongeBob and Patrick put the chum inside Mr. Krabs, and this is utterly dark and hilarious. It’s just like “Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost”! I’m really, really hoping that since this episode seems to be so dedicated to this dark humor with Mr. Krabs’ shell, it won’t stoop to any of the lows of “Someone’s in the Kitchen With Sandy”. Which…now that I’m thinking about it…this episode might actually be taking one of my suggestions for that episode by sticking with the dark humor! Because that’s one of the things I said might’ve improved that episode. Oh, this is exciting! It’s like a test of my argument! Kinda funny that two episodes this season have a Frankenstein schtick. SpongeBob and Patrick bring the chummified Mr. Krabs to life. Hm…I’ll call him, Mr. Chabs.

Meanwhile, Mr. Krabs has finished his tan, and he finds that his shell is missing. Okay, so we’ve successfully avoided “Sun Bleached”, and it seems like we might be going the right direction with a “Someone’s in the Kitchen With Sandy” type of plot. But I’m still nervous. This next half of the episode is going to be crucial. Mr. Krabs decides to get his spare suit from home. And just like the aforementioned episode, Mr. Krabs being without his shell is treated as if he’s naked. Fascinating. But unlike a certain episode, Mr. Krabs skillfully evades being seen, and we don’t have to see him getting continually ridiculed. It seems like perhaps we’ve learned. (though it seems like maybe we haven’t learned from “Hooky”…care to explain that slumber party joke?????)

As for Mr. Chabs. SpongeBob and Patrick are trying to teach him everything he needs to know for his date with Mrs. Puff (which I like that we got the confirmation). SpongeBob and Patrick bring him over to Mrs. Puff’s house, meaning Mr. Chabs gets there before Mr. Krabs does. And this is where the episode begins to lose me. Not because it’s explicitly bad, but because this kind of plot was never going to work for me. It just makes me feel bad for Mr. Krabs too much??? But at least Mrs. Puff is charmed by Mr. Chabs, so that’s more helpful. The episode doesn’t lose me much though, because it regains me quite quickly when Mr. Krabs finds Mrs. Puff with Mr. Chabs. And, thankfully, we don’t have to sit through misogynistic nonsense of Mr. Krabs blaming Mrs. Puff. Thank god. Nah, we just get Mr. Krabs hilariously breaking into the restaurant.

Well…we do until SpongeBob and Patrick decide to fight Mr. Krabs, not recognizing him. Yeah…no. I understand why this happens, because the episode needed more time, but this is frankly frustrating. Luckily for Mr. Krabs, Squidward walks by just in time to see the “Imitation Krabs” remake, and he sets the record straight, since he sees the opportunity to roast all parties involved. Good for him. I’m sure he’ll get his. Finally, Mr. Krabs and Mr. Chabs duke it out, and that’s pretty fun. I love a good action scene. And then, finally, Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff get to have a real conversation. And it’s cute. I really love that we’ve brought them back. The ending is also cute, with SpongeBob proclaiming Mr. Chabs his friend.

“My Two Krabses” was a good episode. It did definitely lose me a couple times, but it got me right back. It wasn’t the best episode, and this type of plot was a hard sell for me in the first place, but I think it did a good job with what it had. And the inclusion of Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff is always a win. I was about to put this episode in Great tier, but then I remembered the slumber party joke…yeah, actions have consequences. This is it.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score:
7.6/10

Back