213a. The Getaway

More

VIP
Synopsis: When SpongeBob mistakes an escaped convict for his driving instructor, it’s the new teacher who learns a lesson.

Finally some more new episodes after a good, two month break. This is really the best scheduling for the show in over a decade. :) The Episode Guest Stars Joe Patoliano and Steve Buschemi, giving it real star power.

Discuss the new episode when it airs.

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
The humor was definitely strong on this one, and that's something I can always appreciate in an episode. Like its sister, I'm gonna need a rewatch before properly rating this episode, mostly because the story didn't feel fantastic upon first watch. An episode about SpongeBob being a getaway driver is definitely interesting, but occasionally it could feel repetitive, and SpongeBob felt a little more annoying than usual. There was plenty of good humor in here, and I love how out-of-place that last quote was. This is definitely one I'll have to rewatch, but I do think I enjoyed it.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I liked this episode. Not sure if I'd call it great but it felt like one big fast-paced and funny chase scenes. I'd say I prefer Unreal Estate and Lost and Found. But this was a solid episode with some enjoyable humor.

7.5/10 or 8/10. Depending on my mood really

Sorry people, I was not fan of this. Infact this might be my least favorite post-second movie episode ever. The entire episode felt too hyperactive for my taste and I didn't think any of this episode was boring but it was rather tiresome. I like fast-pacing but the problem for me was that the entire jokes in this episode felt way too random and loud. At least slow down for a second to let us breathe but the episode keeps going so fast, it felt like 5 minute episode. SpongeBob was way too oblivious. Yeah, that was a thing in SB Meets the Strangler but that one knew how to be so silly and how to breathe for a bit. And it had jokes. I couldn't smile at the entire thing in this one, except for Kaz joke because all jokes were random situations that happened so quick. I suppose the driver Mrs. Puff had crush on being the getaway driver for the prison was a cool twist that I actually didn't see it coming. That's kind of one positive thing I can say about this episode. Overall, it was just uhh bad. Worst episode in a long time.

Grade: D+

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
President Squidward said:
go robot is MY JAM

I just wish they sang more state songs :sbface:
Really, Go Robot? I appreciated the disco feel at first but it's soooo much better hearing a live soundboard, I prefer when they sound more rock and less polished Danger Mouse production, not because those songs are bad, but because they feel lacking which is weird, Josh, Flea, and Chad still kill it, and Anthony's good enough to still be a frontman albumwise...even if he's....iffy, to say the least, in the live concerts.

But yeah for the episode itself I really liked it, the only thing in queztion is the level of SB's naivety but it's played off well enough to drive the criminal completely insane, and I could even chuckle at the Puff/Other driver relationship a few times. I guess the fast paced humor is something I'm more tolerable on the past 2 episode pairs. :dunno:

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Trophy said:
Really, Go Robot? I appreciated the disco feel at first but it's soooo much better hearing a live soundboard, I prefer when they sound more rock and less polished Danger Mouse production, not because those songs are bad, but because they feel lacking which is weird, Josh, Flea, and Chad still kill it, and Anthony's good enough to still be a frontman albumwise...even if he's....iffy, to say the least, in the live concerts.

But yeah for the episode itself I really liked it, the only thing in queztion is the level of SB's naivety but it's played off well enough to drive the criminal completely insane, and I could even chuckle at the Puff/Other driver relationship a few times. I guess the fast paced humor is something I'm more tolerable on the past 2 episode pairs. :dunno:
When it comes to fast-paced episodes I think the main distnction is how focused they are.

To me this episode kept its focus on one plotline. So I was fine with the fast-pace. Unlike Krusty Katering.

But that's just me.

Nickelodeon Stuff

Floating Shopping List
It's a regular boating frenzy episode but with a little twist, Has some good little gags like the part when the prisoner was holding the drivers license
with the picture of spongebob and then he put it down to see spongebob having that exact same stupid little face. Was kinda funny.
Ending was a little boring and its kinda stupid how spongebob drove him insane.
7.5/10

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
Honest Slug said:
When it comes to fast-paced episodes I think the main distnction is how focused they are.

To me this episode kept its focus on one plotline. So I was fine with the fast-pace. Unlike Krusty Katering.

But that's just me.
Yeah, that explains it. The fast pace was used to fit everything into the episode, which is still a little unusual compared to the big joke, tons of small jokes, big joke thing I've noted with my favorite eps such as Imitation Krabs. This one seemed to go all in on the crazy driving/bizarrely entertaining romance chasers. :p

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
This was good. The ending quote was funny and out of place, but there isn't much humor. And this is all topped off with Mrs. Puff and the getaway driver pretty much dating.... It was great to see the #1 grave in the cemetery background...... RIP Smitty Werben Jagger Man Jensen. The ending reminds me of Doing Time, the boating school car crashes off a freeway bridge and flies down the mountain, while being chased by cops, and landing at the prison. Actually, that reminds me, in Season 10, Mrs. Puff hasn't gone to jail at the end (technically). Guess the formula has gotten old. The plot was good though, so I say it's an 8/10. It wasn't as funny as SpongeBob Meets The Strangler, which this is basically a boating school version of. So yeah, 8/10.

Honest Slug said:

But that's just me.
I mean, they definitely had a plot but my biggest issue is that it just didn't know when to stop and characters were all loud and annoying.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Dr. WhoBob said:
I mean, they definitely had a plot but my biggest issue is that it just didn't know when to stop and characters were all loud and annoying.
I respect your opinion but I didn't notice anything that loud. At least to the degree I've seen shows like Breadwinners and modern Fairly OddParents go. SpongeBob did lean a bit towards the juvenile side but he was actually a better driver than usual in this episode so I guess that balances things a bit.

It's a morning and I was in bed so maybe I was a bit lenient but this episode didn't annoy me much.

Nickelodeon Stuff

Floating Shopping List
I also noticed when the prisoner gets hit by the corals the first coral spells "K" the second "A" the third "Z" and the fourth "!"
Kaz!
He's the storyboard writer of this episode i think.

TheGreatServer

NOT a Bunny now!
Am i the only one who loves this episode?

9/10, This episode left me at the edge of my seat the whole time, there were neat scenarios, really funny jokes, and yeah, overall i love this episode and it's my new favorite of the season so far.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
2 other Easter Eggs I found that haven't been mentioned so far:

The Snail Po Truck from Have You Seen This Snail? appeared on the road at some point.

The "Con Man" from Chocolate with Nuts appeared as the guy in the store that the escaped convict robbed.

Back