161a. Mooncation

SquiddlyPie

random gal
LOL I have commented again here, I was really brief back in 2014!
I watched this episode some days ago that it was on the TV and what I really liked was the unique plot, the birthday cake and the ending, also some funny and good quotes, I am not changing my rating, it's still a 10 :yes:

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
So this episode has taken over WtP in terms of my favourite Runaway Roadtrip episode. I will admit the beginning was kinda frustrating and did lack jokes but it was all made up when they went moon-boarding onwards. Really cool visuals, epic soundtracks my favourite being the rock song that was in Jellyfishing and there was some funny gags like when Patrick was watching like a soap-opera that did make me laugh as well as the guy looking up at the sky. While the plot was quite basic, it was executed very well and the writers had a lot of fun with it, definitely one of my favourite episodes of the season so far.

8.5/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
My favorite vacation episode. It didn't wow me, but it was solid throughout. For me the beginning wasn't anything special but once they go to space it's a pretty fun episode. I love at lot of the visuals and the adventure to and away from the moon was well-executed and fast-paced. I wouldn't call it the funniest episode but there are just enough jokes for the episode to not become dull.

7.5/10

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: Mooncation (S8-E161-A)

This is the best Runaway Roadtrip episode ever. I like it how Sandy Cheeks is.

Final Score = 10/10 :whoo:

It's good. I liked the idea of Sandy going to the moon, even if it's already been done in Sandy's Rocket. But this time they actually go on the moon. I also like the ending, where it turns out SpongeBob didn't actually ruin Sandy's vacation. That was nice.

Ranking so far:
1. The Hot Shot (A+)
2. Frozen Face-Off (A+)
3. Drive Thru (A)
4. Mooncation (A)
5. Walking the Plankton (B)
6. A Friendly Game (B)
7. Sentimental Sponge (C)
8. A SquarePants Family Vacation (C)
9. Accidents Will Happen (C)
10. Sweet and Sour Squid (C)
11. Squidward's School for Grown-Ups (C)
12. The Googly Artiste (D)
13. The Other Patty (D)
14. Patrick's Staycation (D)
15. Oral Report (E)

Birds858

Floating Shopping List
My favorite Runaway Roadtrip episode, it’s was funny and the plot was great.

9/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This episode is just a good rank in my opinion. It was funny and clever Sandy was really nice of letting SpongeBob on her trip so this one is just a good rank.

Rating: Good Episode

Rankings:
The Hot Shot (Perfect)
Oral Report (Great)
A Friendly Game (Great)
Accidents Will Happen (Great)
Sentimental Sponge (Good)
Frozen Face Off (Good)
Sweet and Sour Squid (Good)
Mooncation (Good)
The Googly Artiste (Okay)
Patrick's Staycation (Okay)
Drive Thru (Alright)
The Other Patty (Meh)
Squidward's School for Grown-ups (Mediocre)
Walking the Plankton (Bad)
A SquarePants Family Vacation (Inferior)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
For our first episode of the day, we've got another anthology installment in "Mooncation". This is an epsidoe that I admittedly did not remember very well, like at all, before rewatching it. Which is actually surprising, because you'd think I'd remember an episode like this.

Finally, another Sandy episode. I always await these with bated breath because I anticipate them so heavily. Despite being one of the core 5, Sandy is easily the main character of that specific grouping with the least appearances, so I’m really glad that she got focus in this anthology, and not Squidward, who conspicuously didn’t have an episode devoted to his vacation. I really love how the beginning scene of this episode makes Sandy appear to be an international criminal…that’s a girlboss. The title card music for this episode is also very cool, interesting, eerie, and atmospheric. I like it!

This episode is a spiritual successor to “Sandy’s Rocket”, and I’m fine with that. Again, I do not throw around the term rip-off…basically ever. And the reason this episode definitely isn’t a rip-off is because the only real similarity is that Sandy makes a rocket to go to the moon. That’s it. The rest is different considering our characters actually go to the moon.

Now getting into the actual content of the episode, it’s a pretty mixed bag. This beginning of the episode, like once SpongeBob gets to the bakery is…alright. At least it uses that same worker from “Party Pooper Pants”. But other than that it’s not very funny and drags on quite a bit. And the scene of the rocket blasting off is also kind of long for no reason. The episode plays out quite predictably with SpongeBob totally messing up Sandy’s rocket and vacation, but of course he does so with no malicious intent. At this point it’s like everything is made to be messed up by him, like the Reverse Spatial Linearity Drive. And at least Sandy is able to girlboss her way out of the situations too. Sorry I keep using that term I’d like everyone to know that I do mostly ironically.

As for the actual vacation, I do like that the episode abandons the “SpongeBob messing everything up” plotline (well, it only kind of does, more on that in a bit), as that would get old quickly, and shows SpongeBob and Sandy having some real fun on the moon. The moon background also looked really cool, I love when this show mixes artstyles. I also love when they ignore physics, like this episode does. The moonboarding scene is really entertaining for me, it feels a lot like “Prehibernation Week”. I’m also a lover of any and all action sequences no matter how weird or even boring to be honest. The cutaway gag to Patrick was great too.

Of course, the SpongeBob messing everything up plotline wasn’t fully abandoned, as at the end of this scene SpongeBob punctures the fuel tank. But the reason why I said the episode abandoned the plotline is because it’s not like other episodes (usually it’s Patrick who occupies this role) where SpongeBob might mess up many things in succession, but rather just a few things at certain moments, so it’s much better to watch this way. And this last scene of SpongeBob and Sandy trying to get back home with basically no fuel is a pretty fun watch. It’s just under a chaos ending, since I wouldn’t call it chaotic, but it is very action-packed and tense, and I love that. Sandy literally wranging the rocket is actually amazing. And the bit with Nickelodeon studios was a great touch too.

And then I love the ending of this episode, because where a lesser episode might have Sandy actually mad at SpongeBob, which would be unpleasant, this episode actually has her thrilled with the results of SpongeBob’s interference, which is a great, positive note to end this episode on, and it makes me feel pretty happy inside. Now I wanna see SpongeBob and Sandy head to Mars.

"Mooncation" is a great, action-packed episode that I feel like I've been needing for a long time. The only reason I'm putting this episode in my Great tier is because of the couple of dull parts at the beginning. Other than that, I loved every part of this episode.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.9/10

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
not the best vacation episode but still very good one of the best post movie episodes
yeah but not top 10 for season 8 I think
  1. Frozen Face Off (10/10)
  2. A Squarepants Family Vacation (10/10)
  3. Mooncation (10/10)
  4. The Hot Shot (10/10)
  5. Oral Report (9.5/10)
  6. Drive Thru (9.5/10)
  7. A Friendly Game (8.5/10)
  8. Walking The Plankton (8/10)
  9. Squidward's School For Grown Ups (8/10)
  10. Sweet And Sour Squid (7.5/10)
  11. Sentimental Sponge (7/10)
  12. Accidents Will Happen (6.5/10)
  13. The Other Patty (6/10)
  14. The Googly Artiste (1.5/10)
  15. Patrick's Staycation (1.5/10)

Back