158a. Sweet and Sour Squid

Growlie

Best Boy
Quick question, how come I can't find this topic in Episode discussions?
Because I just found this through Google. Was It hidden? Or just
hard to find?

Growlie said:
Quick question, how come I can't find this topic in Episode discussions?
Because I just found this through Google. Was It hidden? Or just
hard to find?
I think they forgot to add it in Episode Discussions. I found this episode in Season 8 page.

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
ElectricPikachu said:
This episode was decent for me. I agree with anyone who said there should be more episodes focusing with Plankton and Squidward together. The song was also decent. 9/10.
Why I said this episode was decent? This episode was awesome and the song is one of the best songs in the show. It is on my Top 5 Season 8 episodes. 10/10

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
This one is definitely one of this season's standout episodes. I liked the song and the idea for the episode too and there were several parts that I found pretty funny. Gonna go with a solid 8/10 for this one.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 8

Episode: Sweet and Sour Squidward

This episode was very good. I always wanted a plot involving Squidward and Plankton, the plot was pretty amazing. There were many funny jokes. 8.5/10

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
WHAT THE!? A 9.3 RATING ON SBMANIA

I must be the only person who doesn't love this episode. I'm currently watching every season 8 episode and you'll find my opinion on this episode whenever I post the season 8 review topic.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 8

Episode: Sweet and Sour Squidward

This episode was pretty good. The plot was nice. I liked the interactions between Squidward and Plankton. There were some funny jokes. 7.5/10

TignoBaiser

Part Computer or Something
I was actually suprised what Squidward wasn't arrested in the end of the episode. Overall, pretty fun enjoyable one. 7/10
Also, WHY THIS IS THE ONLY SPRINGER-LAWRENCE EPISODE???????????????????????????????

Flabby Patty

Flabby Patty > Krusty Krab
Awesome Season 8 episode, one of my favorites for sure. I'm a fan of the plot, gags, quotes, and most of the other stuff. As the OP DirtyDan said, this episode was a nice fresh breath for episodes and a thoroughly enjoyable one. Also a great episode if you're new/reluctant to see Season 8 of SpongeBob. 8.5/10

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
I absolutely adored this episode. Not quite 10/10 material, but really close. The Pinball Wizard parody was hilarious, and there were so many other great jokes I enjoyed. Probably my second favorite Season 8 episode, next to Planet of the Jellyfish, and definitely some Top 20 material.

FINAL SCORE: 9.5/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
This episode was really great and one of the stand-out season 8 episodes. It had a lot of funny jokes and a great plot.

9/10

EpicMario50

Part Computer or Something
I saw this episode last night and I thought it was really funny and clever. The "Watch your head" joke was the hardest I laughed at SpongeBob in a while.

An episode I'm very neutral towards. It's funny in some ways, but in others it just doesn't do the whole "cringe comedy" thing correctly. This episode could have been great, but as it stands, it's just okay.

Ranking so far:
1. The Hot Shot (A+)
2. Frozen Face-Off (A+)
3. Drive Thru (A)
4. A Friendly Game (B)
5. Sentimental Sponge (C)
6. Accidents Will Happen (C)
7. Sweet and Sour Squid (C)
8. Squidward's School for Grown-Ups (C)
9. The Other Patty (D)
10. Oral Report (E)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I like this one but its not the best not much to explain!

Rating: Good Episode

Rankings:
The Hot Shot (Perfect)
Oral Report (Great)
A Friendly Game (Great)
Accidents Will Happen (Great)
Sentimental Sponge (Good)
Frozen Face Off (Good)
Sweet and Sour Squid (Good)
Drive Thru (Alright)
The Other Patty (Meh)
Squidward's School for Grown-ups (Mediocre)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Oh boy, another forgettable episode? So soon? This one actually isn’t too forgettable, being the second time we see Squidward and Plankton interact in any substantial manner, but I’m calling it forgettable because I always mix it up with “Breath of Fresh Squidward” or “The Two Faces of Squidward”.

The beginning of this episode immediately starts to scare me once SpongeBob pulls out that pitch pipe and starts whistling. As much as I wish it wasn’t so, the damage done by “Choir Boys” and its ilk has lasted even until season 8. Luckily, we don’t get very much of that, and Squidward starts going on his elitist schtick like he normally does. He even says a line that’s the base of a very good Sparta Remix (yeah, I’m still on those). Anyway, I’m glad this episode involves Squidward’s awful clarinet-ing, because it feels like it’s been a bit since we’ve seen that (it hasn’t, according to the list of Squidward’s clarinet appearances maintained by the SpongeBob Wiki, but it feels that way to me). Squidward’s ranting and raving in front of the Krusty Krab is pretty funny, especially with Plankton’s narration of it. It kind of highlights some similarities between these two characters, which the episode does pick up on.

The dynamic between Squidward and Plankton in this episode is great, and I love that this is the first time we really dive deep into it (other than the first movie, which I think did a pretty good job showing how Squidward simply cannot fall for Plankton’s schemes (in the usual way at least). And this episode shows that exact same thing as Squidward assumes Plankton is trying to get him to eat at the Chum Bucket. This also leads to a few humorous sequences where Squidward foils Plankton’s attempts at talking to him. That is until Plankton wisens up with SpongeBob’s help, and uses a strategy that works: aiming for Squidward’s ego.

I also like that we even get some SpongeBob and Plankton dynamics going here. I really, really love when they have a friendly relationship (or, more accurately, when SpongeBob is being friendly and Plankton is being scheming). It’s something that’s been there ever since “F.U.N.” and I adore how it has been carried into the modern day (well, this is middle-aged SpongeBob, but y’all know what I mean!).

In terms of the episode’s actual plot, it’s alright. Plankton trying to get to the Krabby Patty formula through Squidward is both smart and stupid. Smart that he would think of perhaps going to the other Krusty Krab employee who shows actual disdain for the restaurant, but dumb because why in the world would Squidward know the formula? Anyway, there are moments of the episode that are really good, and there are some that are somewhat dull (and then there’s the song, which I think is very fun, but wholly unnecessary and detracts from actually telling the story), but the good for sure outweighs the bad, even if it isn’t especially great.

And then of course, Plankton’s plan is just about completely foiled as we see the inevitable conclusion that Squidward doesn’t know the formula. Because like I said, why would he? For all the reconnaissance Plankton does of that restaurant, I can’t believe he doesn’t know this obvious fact. Though, I suppose Squidward has manned the grill a few times throughout the show, so maybe it’s not too absurd to think he might know the recipe. And once this reveal happens, the episode does get a bit weak, because I just kinda start cringing at Plankton’s attempts to get information out of Squidward that he clearly doesn’t have. The episode picks back up again once Plankton steals Squidward’s clarinet, and we get a little bit of signature chaotic flair to end the episode on. And of course, Plankton gets his comeuppance, taking the fall for Squidward’s awful playing.

“Sweet and Sour Squid” was a mostly enjoyable episode, though there were some snags. I think it was a great idea to have an episode with Squidward and Plankton, although this one didn’t do the dynamic the exact justice I wanted. I suppose I’ll have to wait until “Chum Fricassee” for that.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score:
7.5/10

Back