153b. The Other Patty

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I personally mildly dislike this one. The story is pretty sloppy, and the concept of Mr. Krabs and Plankton working together has been done before, but it's not awful or anything. It mainly suffers from just being dull, with a couple jokes to soften a blow that otherwise could've been pretty moderate.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I personally thought this mediocre. That plot was done before with Best Frenemies and the theme is flat. There were some jokes at least.

Rating: Meh Episode

Rankings:
Accidents Will Happen (Great)
The Other Patty (Meh)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
We were overdue for a Krabs and Plankton working together episode, weren’t we? Well, “The Main Drain” wasn’t too long ago, I suppose. Whatever the case is, I enjoy these kinds of plots quite a bit, so this episode already begins at an advantage. And I say it capitalizes on this advantage decently.

The beginning of this episode is pretty good. I like how we are just as confused as Plankton when Mr. Krabs acts…suspiciously chill about Plankton stealing a patty. Obviously we know that Krabs has gotta have something up his sleeve for him to be acting this way, and so even though the end result is predictable in this way, I still really enjoy this little sequence. And y’all know I love random explosions, even though you could see this one coming from a mile away. I just can’t believe Plankton fell for it. Shows that even though he’s smart, he’s very short-sighted, I suppose. Mr. Krabs’ new security measure here is probably the most unexpected part of the scene, because what kind of diabolical stuff is that? Poor Sandals got blown up.

From here, the episode transitions to some fun shenanigans with Mr. Krabs and Plankton trying to steal the Flabby Patty’s recipe. Last time we saw something like this, with this intense competition between the two, was “Greasy Buffoons”. And despite his best efforts, poor SpongeBob only gets laughed at when he suggests working together to the two of them. His blank stare in that segment is hilarious (and perhaps telling, because he’s put more effort than we know into making these two work together at this point). This part of the episode (which is of course the majority of it) also has some really good jokes as well. I loved the one where Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob were hiding behind a guy and Mr. Krabs was all like “do you mind?”. Great stuff, there. I also loved how when the crowd ran off after what I’m choosing to see as a reference to “Hooky”, Mr. Krabs was all like “How come you’re not trampled” to SpongeBob. That’s what happened when laser-guided justice is at play.

I really like SpongeBob in this episode, because he’s being his ray of sunshine self, wanting for Mr. Krabs and Plankton to make up and be friends. It would be interesting to see an episode where this happens legitimately, kinda like “New Leaf”. And related to how much I like SpongeBob in this episode is how much I like the writing. I mean the fact that the Flabby Patty is named what it is, and tastes delicious, is kind of a dead giveaway to what will be revealed at the end of the episode. I always enjoy some good foreshadowing, and this episode is no exception. SpongeBob’s actions after Plankton announces he’s gonna try to steal the Flabby Patty’s recipe is also pretty telling in retrospect. SpongeBob is honestly a genius for coming up with this little scheme. I’m counting this as TrollBob, btw.

“The Other Patty” was a really enjoyable episode. It does have a few dull moments here and there, but overall I quite liked it. And it’s fun to watch Plankton and Mr. Krabs work together, even if under false pretenses. Not to mention, this episode features TrollBob, which is always something that I like to see.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.5/10

Back