147b. Shellback Shenanigans

Mr. Sea Shell

Floating Shopping List

Review: A SpongeBob classic I tell you! Plankton is an awful Gary imitation! LOL :p

Rating: 9.5/10

I loved this episode so much. It was an improvement over a boring episode called "Hide And Then What Happens?". It's just another episode that Plankton pretends to be a character but it was very funny. Many parts made me laugh like Mr. Krabs' "I don't need a special for that. Squidward is here every day", SpongeBob saying " Gary! You're turning green! And talking!" to Gary (who is actually Plankton) and then Plankton saying "No, I'm not", the bath part, the nurse screaming when Plankton said "Meow", Plankton swallowing a giant pill, Gary as bouncer, SpongeBob saying "Wow, Mr. Krabs, Gary's doing a great job as bouncer. He's really earning his pay!" and then Mr. Krabs saying "Well, he takes after you, lad. PAY?!?". It was a funny season 7 episode and I recommend it. 10/10

Insomnia

Flying Dutchman's Sock
Pretty good for a modern episode, it had some decent laughs and a good plot. Also just the idea of spongebob thinking Gary is dying pretty sad to think about, they did a good job with this episode.

7.5/10

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
Really love this episode. Yet again, Plankton disguises as another character just like Grammas Secret Recipe, but I like to call this the better version of that episode. There's a lot of jokes here and is interesting. 9/10

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 7

Episode: Shellback Shenanigans

This episode was decent. The plot was nice. There were some funny jokes. 6/10

Squiddit

existence is pain
Really? The third episode that has the same plot (Plankton dressing up as someone else to get the secret formula), IN THE SAME SEASON?!

SquiddlyPie

random gal
Quite nice episode actually!!! I love it when it comes to Plankton and Gary episode...there were some scenes that were funny for me and some emotional moments that actually made me happy that SpongeBob still has them in season 7....the ending was quite good as well..10/10 :)

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Really forgettable episode, the fact that this has only 10 replies says it all.

That said this isn't that bad. While it recycles a premise it actually has some decent humor and fun moments, however the fact that this is the fourth time this plot has happened and it is kinda bland drags it down a lot.

6/10

Baloo

I GAVE YOU A JOB!
Really forgettable episode, the fact that this has only 10 replies says it all.

That said this isn't that bad. While it recycles a premise it actually has some decent humor and fun moments, however the fact that this is the fourth time this plot has happened and it is kinda bland drags it down a lot.

6/10

You read my mind. It's pretty much my thoughts on the episode. It has its good moments, and it's the best of the three season 7 "Plankton disguises himself to get the formula" episodes (Nowhere as good as "Imitation Krabs" though) but it is forgettable and it's stupid why this is the fourth time this has happened.

6/10

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
This was one of the funniest episodes ever. SpongeBob was being SpongeBob. Plankton ALMOST got the formula but Gary saved the day.
Rating: 9/10

Kinda bland. It's definitely the best "Plankton disguises himself" episode this season, but it's still pretty weak. Could have used a few more jokes. But overall, pretty harmless episode.

Ranking so far:
1. That Sinking Feeling (A+)
2. Earworm (A+)
3. The Inside Job (A+)
4. The Great Patty Caper (A)
5. The Abrasive Side (A)
6. The Bad Guy Club for Villains (A)
7. Buried in Time (A)
8. Squidward in Clarinetland (A)
9. Enchanted Tiki Dreams (A)
10. Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle (B)
11. Growth Spout (B)
12. The Curse of Bikini Bottom (B)
13. Greasy Buffoons (B)
14. A Day Without Tears (B)
15. I Heart Dancing (B)
16. SpongeBob's Last Stand (B)
17. Karate Star (B)
18. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (B)
19. The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom (B)
20. Kracked Krabs (C)
21. Gary in Love (C)
22. Shellback Shenanigans (C)
23. The Cent of Money (C)
24. Model Sponge (C)
25. The Curse of the Hex (C)
26. Sponge-Cano! (D)
27. Back to the Past (D)
28. The Play's the Thing (D)
29. Tentacle-Vision (D)
30. Hide and Then What Happens? (D)
31. The Main Drain (D)
32. Gramma's Secret Recipe (D)
33. Summer Job (E)
34. Rodeo Daze (E)
35. Trenchbillies (E)
36. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (F)
37. Stuck in the Wringer (F)
38. Yours, Mine and Mine (F-)
39. A Pal for Gary (F-)
40. One Coarse Meal (F-)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Best Imitation Krabs ripoff and the only good one. I think its funny.

Rating: Good Episode

Rankings:
Enchanted Tiki Dreams (Perfect)
Earworm (Amazing)
Squidward in ClarinetLand (Amazing)
Back to the Past (Superior)
The Curse of Bikini Bottom (Superior)
That Sinking Feeling (Great)
The Inside Job (Great)
The Main Drain (Good)
Buried in Time (Great)
The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom (Good)
I ❤️ Dancing (Good)
A Day Without Tears (Good)
Kracked Krabs (Good)
Karate Star (Good)
The Bad Guy Club for Villains (Good)
Shellback Shenanigans (Good)
Greasy Buffoons (Good)
The Cent of Money (Okay)
Growth Spout (Okay)
Tentacle-Vision (Okay)
Gary in Love (Okay)
Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (Alright)
Gramma's Secret Recipe (Alright)
The Play's the Thing (Meh)
Model Sponge (Meh)
SpongeBob's Last Stand (Meh)
One Coarse Meal (Meh)
The Great Patty Caper (Meh)
Summer Job (Mediocre)
Sponge-Cano! (Mediocre)
Stuck in the Wringer (Mediocre)
The Abrasive Side (Bad)
Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle (Bad)
Hide and Then What Happens? (Bad)
Rodeo Daze (Awful)
The Curse of the Hex (Awful)
Trenchbillies (Terrible)
Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (Despicable)
Yours, Mine and Mine (Despicable)
A Pal for Gary (Despicable)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Whenever I think of this episode, I mix it up with “Shell Shocked”, without fail. Thankfully, this is not a bad omen for "Shellback Shenanigans", as this episode is really good. Gary episodes like this always begin with an advantage in my eyes, being the CEO of Gary that I am, and for once we have an episode in these middle-age seasons that actually pounces on the advantage.

Why is it that 80% of the time an episode begins with a gorgeous background shot, it’s of the Krusty Krab? This episode continues that trend with this great shot of the Krusty Krab at dusk, and I love it. These background artists continue to understand the assignment, at all times. Anyway, this beginning bit of the episode is nice enough. I love that SpongeBob wants to get Gary a little treat, and that apparently there’s a Bring Your Pet To Work Day happening. And the joke about Squidward is hilarious.

The bit with Plankton and Karen (which yay Karen, love seeing her after so long) and the lip reading is entertaining enough. The whole “he said what” joke had the disadvantage of being a joke type that I don’t like, but it at least ended with Plankton realizing what Karen was saying, and not never realizing like those jokes usually do.

So main problem #1 with this episode is a direct result of this lipreading bit with Plankton and Karen, and it’s this: WHY DIDN’T PLANKTON USE HIS CLEARLY X-RAY TELESCOPE TO LOOK INTO THE KRUSTY KRAB WHILE THEY MADE A BATCH OF KRABBY PATTIES. Why would he do this whole convoluted plan when this one was clearly much easier and much less risky? And this is such a glaring question to me throughout this episode that kind of renders the entire plot after this point to be pointless. But whatever, I suppose this means we do get to see more of Gary in this episode. And hey, at least we get a “Gary Takes A Bath” reference (kinda, I know it’s just a reference to the fact that cats hate water) out of this!

Plankton then tricks Gary into leaving in a pretty entertaining scene. So I suppose my critique of the sensibleness of the plot can be set aside for now, as this scheme is pretty entertaining. Even though this is the third time this season Plankton has pretended to be someone else for his scheme. Though I don’t really have a problem with that, since each episode (”Someone’s in the Kitchen With Sandy” and “Gramma’s Secret Recipe” being the other two) did this in a different way, and so far this is the best of the three episodes lol. And this segment has some more gorgeous background paintings for me to admire, so that’s a win. Plankton’s disguise as Gary is so delightfully stupid and silly, so I’m a fan of that too.

The episode continues this upward swing as Plankton’s plan is continually foiled. The bit at the hospital is hilarious. The fact that no one can tell that Plankton is pretending to be a snail is beyond me, but I’ll suspend my disbelief. This part is so hilariously dark too. And then when we cut to Gary, who unfortunately has to cut his vacation short, I get really excited, because looks like Gary is about to take care of business. And he does! Oh yes he does. I’m laughing my butt off in this part because it’s deserved and it’s hilarious. And I love how Mr. Krabs ends up getting a business idea out of it, making Gary the bouncer. The ending stinger was great, and an excellent way to end this episode.

“Shellback Shenanigans” feels like a joint apology for “A Pal For Gary” and “Someone’s in the Kitchen With Sandy”, and I accept this apology, because this episode was really good. Much better than expected, first off. Probably because Plankton’s plan worked at no stage in this process, so we just got to watch it fail in such hilarious ways. And seeing Gary be the hero will always be a win. Now, I don’t know why we have this trend of Gary being forced to work at the Krusty Krab one way or another in this season, as this has happened for 3 episodes now, but I don’t hate that trend at all, so I’m cool with it.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.2/10

Back