142b. Sponge-Cano!

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: The Legends of Bikini Bottom: Sponge-cano (S7-E142-B)

I ::dolphin noise::ING HATE THIS EPISODE!!! I hate it when the writers flanderize Squidward into the most miserable character ever. I also hate it when the Ancient Dolphin Warrior said this:

Ancient Dolphin Warrior: A sacrifice must be made of the most miserable person.

After the volcano eruption stopped,

Ancient Dolphin Warrior: Oh, now the volcano is appeased!
Squidward: But I thought you said a sacrifice had to be made of the most miserable person.
Ancient Dolphin Warrior:(chuckles) No, you didn't let me finish. I was trying to say a sacrifice of the most miserable person's house. No one ever listens to me. (laughs and flies away)

SERIOUSLY Mr. Dolphin Warrior?!?! You said the most miserable person like Squidward should be thrown in the volcano, not his house. I also hate Squidward lying to SpongeBob after his apology to him, even the ending.

Final Score = 0/10 :patboo:

I like that gratitude song in the beginning, but this is the most forgettable out of all the LoBB episodes. Barely anything happens at all. I do kind of like the jokes in the beginning, but after that this episode was just boring.

I'm not a fan of this one. It's very boring, the tension is pretty lame, and there's lacking in the comedy department. Not to mention that Squidward is a bit more of a jerk here than usual. I don't have much of a additute of gratitude towards this episode.

Ranking so far:
1. The Inside Job (A+)
2. The Bad Guy Club for Villains (A)
3. Squidward in Clarinetland (A)
4. Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle (B)
5. Growth Spout (B)
6. The Curse of Bikini Bottom (B)
7. Greasy Buffoons (B)
8. A Day Without Tears (B)
9. I Heart Dancing (B)
10. SpongeBob's Last Stand (B)
11. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (B)
12. The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom (B)
13. Kracked Krabs (C)
14. Gary in Love (C)
15. The Cent of Money (C)
16. Model Sponge (C)
17. The Curse of the Hex (C)
18. Sponge-Cano! (D)
19. Back to the Past (D)
20. The Play's the Thing (D)
21. Tentacle-Vision (D)
22. The Main Drain (D)
23. Gramma's Secret Recipe (D)
24. Summer Job (E)
25. Rodeo Daze (E)
26. Trenchbillies (E)
27. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (F)
28. Stuck in the Wringer (F)
29. Yours, Mine and Mine (F-)
30. A Pal for Gary (F-)
31. One Coarse Meal (F-)

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I think it's meh. I didn't like they made Squidward miserable. 6/10.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
With “Sponge-Cano!”, we reach the last of this little Legends of Bikini Bottom anthology. How sad, I liked these! Some may call it a “ratings trap” (that’s an early 2010s term if I’ve ever heard one), but I don’t care, it was fun! Everyone needs to start having fun again, because it’s getting rather depressing.

This episode begins with Squidward clearly waking up on the wrong side of the bed. It was cool to see his portrait painting process, though. And thankfully, SpongeBob’s song here is not super annoying to listen to, especially once it gets going with a backing track and everything. I love when SpongeBob’s just a little ball of sunshine like this, so this is about 10 wins for me. And honestly SpongeBob’s song is very inspirational haha (even if in parts of the episode he espouses some toxic positivity talking points...I mean in this episode it’s totally justified since Squidward brings his misery upon himself, but y’all know what I mean). And at the end of the song we get Chekov’s plumbing, as we will be returning to that later.

Once Squidward storms into the Krusty Krab, we get more proof of him being a miserable grump. And we get SpongeBob being a little weirdo which is hilarious to me so that’s a win. Squidward here is really what it’s like to work service when you’re in a bad mood…every single thing gets to you and you want to take the place you work at and shoot it into outer space. At least…that’s been my experience throughout the years. That doesn’t make Squidward any less of a jerkwad. He’s gotta work on his customer service mask. At least his ranting is pretty entertaining, although the only legitimate complaint he makes is the trash on the table, and maybe the fingers thing since the Krusty Krab has a part of the door that isn’t glass.

And then Mount Bikini Bottom starts erupting, causing a bunch of lava to get into the Krusty Krab. If this was real life, they’d all be dead for sure. Luckily, it’s a cartoon so I just get a bunch of funny moments instead. And I love how Mr. Krabs pulls what we’ll later be seeing in Sponge Out of Water with his fearmongering and doomsaying. It’s hilarious. He always seems ready for some anarchy. The part with the volcano shelter/town hall is great. Firstly, it reminds me of the SpongeBob Musical, and secondly, I love how this incidental is getting all up in the mayor’s face. You go man!

Suddenly, Ancient Warrior comes onto the scene (yeah, that’s what they’re called). This guy is simply fun. And now that I think about it, I feel like the second movie (and the musical) borrowed a lot from this episode. I mean the collapse of civilization, random dolphin guy that helps them out with advanced knowledge…I mean I’m just saying. Anyway, I love how he comes in and just starts talking sacrifices. And of course Harold is out for blood, and doesn’t even let the warrior finish LMAO. Honestly Harold is so funny to me, he’s always starting stuff. Gold medal in instigating fr (if y’all know what I’m referencing with that, congrats you have taste). Anyway, I really like how Squidward clearly brought this on himself in this episode (in a hilarious fashion). So no one better be saying anything about Squid torture or nothing. And I also like that this episode used miserable in a “you’re annoying and complain about everything way”, not a “depressed” way, or that would’ve made this episode turn sour very quickly.

I love that SpongeBob tries to sacrifice himself in Squidward’s stead. The townspeople are idiots for accepting that sacrifice, by the way. And then Squidward’s words bite him in the butt one more time as SpongeBob honors his request for him not to help Squidward. It’s just like “The Paper”! Or “Boating Buddies” lol. And then we get a pretty wholesome moment where Squidward says that he is grateful for the life he’s living. Now is this real, or just an act? I choose to say it’s real. I mean, episodes like “Graveyard Shift” show that Squidward does care for SpongeBob deep down, so it can’t be a stretch to say he’s grateful for his life.

Chekov’s piping does its stuff as Squidward’s house gets launched straight into the volcano. And it turns out, that’s just what the volcano needed all along…the most miserable person’s house. If y’all just let the warrior finish, smh. Additionally, I love this moment because it uses one of my favorite tracks in the whole show, Traveling Along. It’s only been used like 4 times, which is a shame. But god is it good. And it’s such a great ending song, I mean come on man. I need this track used more, is what I’m saying. And speaking of endings, the ending of this episode is great as well, with Squidward staying at SpongeBob’s place, back to being a miserable grump.

To the surprise of no one, I really liked “Sponge-Cano!”. Maybe it’s just recency bias, but this might be the best episode in the whole group, because of its humorous moments, lovable a-hole townspeople (for once), hilarious Mr. Krabs, and good track usage. There’s a lot for me to love here.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.3/10

Note: Final ranking of these legends episodes: Sponge-Cano! > Curse of the Hex > The Main Drain > The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom > Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle > Trenchbillies

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Remove the song here it would have been bad. Keep the song its meh. I like the song but the execution is boring. Very weak episode. Not that entertaining. But the song made it meh.

Rating: Mediocre Episode

Rankings:
Squidward in ClarinetLand (Amazing)
Back to the Past (Superior)
The Curse of Bikini Bottom (Superior)
The Inside Job (Great)
The Main Drain (Good)
The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom (Good)
I ❤️ Dancing (Good)
A Day Without Tears (Good)
Kracked Krabs (Good)
The Bad Guy Club for Villains (Good)
Greasy Buffoons (Good)
The Cent of Money (Okay)
Growth Spout (Okay)
Tentacle-Vision (Okay)
Gary in Love (Okay)
Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (Alright)
Gramma's Secret Recipe (Alright)
The Play's the Thing (Meh)
Model Sponge (Meh)
SpongeBob's Last Stand (Meh)
One Coarse Meal (Meh)
Summer Job (Mediocre)
Sponge-Cano! (Mediocre)
Stuck in the Wringer (Mediocre)
Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle (Bad)
Rodeo Daze (Awful)
The Curse of the Hex (Awful)
Trenchbillies (Terrible)
Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (Despicable)
Yours, Mine and Mine (Despicable)
A Pal for Gary (Despicable)

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
I like the song one of the better legends of bikini bottom episodes
  1. Growth Spout (10/10)
  2. Squidward In Clarinetland (9.5/10)
  3. Gary In love (9.5/10)
  4. The Inside Job (9/10)
  5. I ❤️ Dancing (9/10)
  6. The Curse Of Bikini Bottom (9/10)
  7. Tentacle Vision (8.5/10)
  8. Greasy Buffoons (8/10)
  9. Back To The Past (8/10)
  10. The Bad Guys Club For Villains (8/10)
  11. Welcome To The Bikini Bottom Triangle (8/10)
  12. Spongebob's Last Stand (7.5/10)
  13. Kracked Krabs (7/10)
  14. Model Sponge (6.5/10)
  15. Sponge-Cano! (6.5/10)
  16. A Day Without Tears (2.5/10)
  17. The Plays The Thing (2.5/10)
  18. Yours Mine And Mine (2/10)
  19. The Monster Who Came To Bikini bottom (1.5/10)
  20. Grammas Secret Recipe (1.5/10)
  21. The Curse Of The Hex (1.5/10)
  22. Summer Job (1/10)
  23. Rodeo Daze (1/10)
  24. The Main Drain (1/10)
  25. The Cent Of Money (0.5/10)
  26. Trenchbilles (0.5/10)
  27. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (0.5/10)
  28. Stuck In The Wringer (0/10)
  29. Someones In The Kitchen With Sandy (0/10)
  30. A pal for Gary (0/10)
  31. One Coarse Meal (-99999999/10)

Back