Nickelodeon confirmed that Spongebob is part of the LGBTQ+ community

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
SpongeBob is asexual, Stephen Hillenburg himself said so (as you can see in this article right here). He could be panromantic based on his characterization, but that's a different conversation.

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
:imagination:
SpongeBob is canonically “somewhat asexual”, as Stephen Hillenburg put it, and if anything is proved by Nickelodeon’s post, it’s that SpongeBob is not straight. Right? Because heterosexual is not a part of the LGBTQ+ community. Also, he can be asexual and still have romantic feelings for people. How about homoromantic, biromantic, panromantic...?
I’ve been in my room literally squealing for the past 20 minutes over Nickelodeon announcing SpongeBob as somewhere in the LGBTQ and for some reason it makes me so gay happy!! 🏳️‍🌈 I would be lying if I said I wasn’t shedding a few tears over my love for my little baby. 🥺 I call him my little gay baby; I’m not too far off.
:sbyes:

Also, these exist:
C23E8AFF-2FA7-4477-AF6E-B9A42AC41AAF.jpeg
28655893-50EB-4491-8700-56EDC2C00CC4.jpeg

OH MY NEPTUNE - I LOVE SPONGEBOB SO MUCH 😩

Edit: I think Nickelodeon was doing this for attention, by leaving SpongeBob’s sexuality almost ambiguous. If he’s “somewhat asexual”, at least give him the asexual flag. Also, why do we need sexuality representation everywhere? This is a children’s show, and I personally think SpongeBob works better as a coded gay character.
We should save sexuality for shipping if it’s not a big part of the show, and it isn’t. The whole reason Stephen Hillenburg didn’t go along with the original idea of Sandy being a future girlfriend for SpongeBob is because he apparently wanted to keep romance out of SpongeBob’s life; there are other things SpongeBob is interested in. As much as I love the idea of a gay SpongeBob, let’s put away our own desires in order to respect the creator’s word on the subject.

Last edited:

EM.

Moby Dollar
SpongeBob is canonically “somewhat asexual”, as Stephen Hillenburg put it, and if anything is proved by Nickelodeon’s post, it’s that SpongeBob is not straight. Right? Because heterosexual is not a part of the LGBTQ+ community. Also, he can be asexual and still have romantic feelings for people. How about homoromantic, biromantic, panromantic...?
I’ve been in my room literally squealing for the past 20 minutes over Nickelodeon announcing SpongeBob as somewhere in the LGBTQ and for some reason it makes me so gay happy!! 🏳️‍🌈 I would be lying if I said I wasn’t shedding a few tears over my love for my little baby. 🥺 I call him my little gay baby; I’m not too far off.
:sbyes:

Also, these exist:
View attachment 12222
View attachment 12223

OH MY NEPTUNE - I LOVE SPONGEBOB SO MUCH 😩
but Spongebob don't have romantic feelings toward people, he's only in love with his job to the point where he dated the food.

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
but Spongebob don't have romantic feelings toward people, he's only in love with his job to the point where he dated the food.
I disagree. Even though this example I’m about to use is totally not supporting my “spongebob is gay” plight, consider the episode Truth or Square, when he practically drooled over the memory of attempting to kiss Sandy at the fake wedding. Sure, he’s in love with his job, but even when he fell in love with that patty he showed he has a heart for romance and I don’t doubt that he could show it. I... I dunno, man.

Yoh Manta

Moby Dollar
I'm pro-LGBT, but I'm sorry to say that I find this to be incredibly corporate and against HIllenburg's wishes. All the people who were claiming Spongebob and Patrick were gay while I was just laughing...they now have a reason to go, "Nya ha ha ha ha!". 😔

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
I'm with Stephen Hillenburg on the whole matter - SpongeBob is asexual (c'mon, he's a cartoon!) even though he's been infatuated with girls and boys on the show (often with comedic undertones).

That said, I have no problem with SpongeBob being an LGBTQ icon (although it's not as if Nickelodeon needed to sign off on this to be so). Anything that breaks down barriers and symbolizes love is okay in my book.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer

They could have easily given him the asexual flag, but that would require slight effort and knowledge of the subject.

Yeah I was confused by the post, because the rainbow flag is wrong for Korra as well (she's bisexual). So I guess they're using the rainbow in an umbrella sort of way, instead of specifically identifying it with the gay community.

Waterbubble

Part Computer or Something
This, my friends, is what happened when the fame and fortune of a marine biologist's cartoon about a talking sponge went to Nickelodeon's head.
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
Is Nickelodeon TRYING to make people hate this show?
Nah, they’re trying to make people love it by representing sexuality where sexuality doesn’t need to be represented. Smh... 😐 Like as much as a love a gay SpongeBob, Nickelodeon is just trying to get a hype out of people unnecessarily. It’s kinda bad now that I think about it more...

EditorWiki

Floating Shopping List
Asexual is on the LGBT+ category. So Nick is right on this one, I don't think Nick is going against Steve (since he himself confirmed this back in 2004 when this whole thing was making the rounds among churches) on this one. Vincent Waller has said however that any relationships/romance is on Steve's "NO" list for Spongebob himself. Lots of folks are gonna be finding out what "Asexual" is today.

EditorWiki

Floating Shopping List
Isn't being heterosexual a sexual preference? I never see people complaining about that.
Also Asexual is legit not having a sexual preference. I never saw Steve nor any of the crew members, shoving Spongebob's asexuality in the show back when he confirmed it 15+ years ago, this has been known for years and years.

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
Also Asexual is legit not having a sexual preference. I never saw Steve nor any of the crew members, shoving Spongebob's asexuality in the show back when he confirmed it 15+ years ago, this has been known for years and years.
Technically the sexual preference is not partaking in sex. Like abstinence. Except there’s just an overall disinterest in sex that drives this. So that does count as a preference, does it not? The preference is that there is none.

Back