Pinned thread Unpopular Opinions you Have on SpongeBob

Tuba95

Dead Inspector
Late Season 2 has the best art style in the whole show.
Season 5 has the best music, except for some of the songs from Atlantis Squarepantis. :patgross:
KKTV is so overrated and the POOP line is stupid.
Professor Squidward, The Play's the Thing and Bumper to Bumper are good episodes.
I'm with Stupid isn't terrible, but it isn't super either.

Squidina

Tintenfisch
E.V.I.L said:
^YES.

I wouldn't go as far as saying they're all worth watching (I'm pretty anal about tv/movies and it being worth my time) but to say that an episode is nothing but awful+awful is unrealistic.

This is probably the only one wehre I almost agree with everything...
Mrs. Puff I'm very neutral on. I do think she looks like Pizza.
Pearl has grown on me over the months... I think she can actually be really funny and quirky in her own way xP
I think post-movie is worse but it's certainly not godawful
people need to stfu about the toenail scene and Squid Abuse....... OMG
She does, doesn't she? LOL! I have no problem with anyone liking her, I'm sure she has her points, but she just bugs me so bad... I don't even know why. She just really grates on my nerves.

YES! About the Toenail episode.

katnisslovestacos said:
I don't mind Sandy being a scientist and I'm glad there's another side to her other than "yeehaw Texas karate girl" even though I like that side of her too. It opens up the show to different kinds of plots as well.
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

Change isn't a bad thing... it;s just the fact that they ignore her karrate side these days.. but seeing 15 years of her as just a karate star is just as bad as nothing but science

Katniss

totally coral
E.V.I.L said:
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

Change isn't a bad thing... it;s just the fact that they ignore her karrate side these days.. but seeing 15 years of her as just a karate star is just as bad as nothing but science
Yeah, it would be nice to see her doing karate sometimes. I'm just sick of people saying her character sucks now.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season 10 can start a new era with fresh episodes (it doesn't have to be pre-movie).

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
Toenail scene's hilarious.
Science Sandy is garbage and her character never should've made such a drastic shift.
Boating Buddies and Choir Boys are actually really kinda hilarious, if you look past all the Aaron Springer-isms.
Season 9 is uneven af and depending on how that second half plays out it could easily end up as the worst season or perhaps the best Post-Movie season. Depends.
This opinion seems to be becoming unpopular: Pre-Movie's still good, and having seen an episode 100 times to the point where it isn't funny anymore doesn't mean it's not funny. Seasons 2 & 3 still crap all over anything from Seasons 5-7, with minor exceptions, and it's not really a contest, imo.
Season 4 makes a strong case for the best season, any era.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
- Post-movie isn't as bad as people say it is
- Pet Sitter Pat, Face Freeze, Oral Report, Bubble Troubles, SpongeBob, You're Fired, aren't that bad
- Sandy's Rocket and Nature Pants are bad episodes
- SpongeBob was going downhill even before the movie
- Season 2 is greater than season 3
- Demolition Doofus is worse than One Coarse Meal
- Season 4 is a great season
- Chocolate with Nuts and Band Geeks are overrated
- Sandy is still a good character
- The term "Squidward-abuse" is overused

Jibbix said:
Science Sandy is garbage and her character never should've made such a drastic shift.
Boating Buddies and Choir Boys are actually really kinda hilarious, if you look past all the Aaron Springer-isms.
Season 9 is uneven af and depending on how that second half plays out it could easily end up as the worst season or perhaps the best Post-Movie season. Depends.
This opinion seems to be becoming unpopular: Pre-Movie's still good, and having seen an episode 100 times to the point where it isn't funny anymore doesn't mean it's not funny. Seasons 2 & 3 still crap all over anything from Seasons 5-7, with minor exceptions, and it's not really a contest, imo.
Season 4 makes a strong case for the best season, any era.
1) But hasn't Sandy always been kind of smart? I don't think she changed, she just had another side of her get overexaggerated.
2) Agreed. When you ignore the obviously annoying abuse, both episodes are hilariois.
3) Agreed. Season 9 smashed.... then died.
4) But...... if you watch something 100 times and you don't think it's funny anymore, you don't think it's funny anymore, period. There's episodes out there which are still funnier after the 100th time so why praise the ones that aren't more than the ones that are? And of course pre-movie is still good and still better than Season 5-7... I rarely ever see someone say that post-movie is better so idk where you thought this became a popular opinion
5) Krusty Towers in itself just completely justifies this XP

SBManiac!!!!!!

welp bye lol
- I Was A Teenage Gary is an appropriately scary episode for the context it's in (being part of a Halloween special).
- I don't find Squirrel Jokes funny at all, though I do appreciate the ending and its moral.
- SpongeBob's behavior in As Seen On TV, while it makes sense given the plot, just irritates me.
- I don't love or hate Squilliam.
- MM&BB IV, despite having wumbo, has a ridiculous story and is just not funny otherwise.
- Not 100% sure if this is unpopular, but Plankton's Army was when the massively overhyped ratings-trap specials began for this show.
- Patrick in New Student Starfish is more annoying than funny.
- Most of post-movie is surprisingly decent, though nowhere near as funny as what came before. The only exception is a majority of Season 7 (and of course several episodes scattered across these seasons), which I have a hard time finding anything likable about.
- There are very few episodes in this show that I would consider truly awful.
- Patrick's awareness of his stupidity in The Card was a clever meta-joke and not a sign of him being a jerk.
- I don't count The Cent of Money as a "Gary abuse" episode because SpongeBob wisened up and Mr. Krabs got what he deserved in the end.
- Greasy Buffoons was an entertaining episode.
- Glove World R.I.P. was a funny and good episode. I don't understand where the hate for this episode comes from.
- The ending of Gone upsets me much more than any pal for Gary or splinter ever could.

katnisslovestacos said:
I don't mind Sandy being a scientist and I'm glad there's another side to her other than "yeehaw Texas karate girl" even though I like that side of her too. It opens up the show to different kinds of plots as well.
^ This, this, a million times this. There does need to be more balance between the two sides, though.

Katniss

totally coral
- Post-movie isn't as bad as people say it is
- Pet Sitter Pat, Face Freeze, Oral Report, Bubble Troubles, SpongeBob, You're Fired, aren't that bad
- Sandy's Rocket and Nature Pants are bad episodes
- SpongeBob was going downhill even before the movie
- Season 2 is greater than season 3
- Demolition Doofus is worse than One Coarse Meal
- Season 4 is a great season
- Chocolate with Nuts and Band Geeks are overrated
- Sandy is still a good character
- The term "Squidward-abuse" is overused
Definitely have to agree with you about Nature Pants. There isn't that much I like about it other than the "take patty" joke, which isn't THAT funny.
More of my favorite episodes are in 2 than in 3. It's probably my favorite SB season.
OCM is bad but at least Mr. Krabs' intention wasn't to kill Plankton. Mrs. Puff was at her worst in Demolition Doofus IMO.
I don't get why some people consider SpongeBob, You're Fired one of the worst episodes of the show. If anything, it's just a giant "meh".

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
E.V.I.L said:
1) But hasn't Sandy always been kind of smart? I don't think she changed, she just had another side of her get overexaggerated.
Hardly. She was always smart, but aside from Sandy's Rocket (which in itself is really weird in the context of the first 3 seasons), Sandy was never really a scientist, just an edgy squirrel from Texas. If they had added science as another element to her character whilst keeping what made Sandy Sandy, I wouldn't have cared.

But they didn't.

Minus the exception of Karate Island for karate, and To Save A Squirrel/Rodeo Daze for her edgy side, from Season 4 to Season, the Sandy portrayed was a bland girl who's main focus was science, and they occasionally remember that she's from Texas. That's a far cry from the extreme, feminist we saw in episodes like Pressure and Pre-Hibernation Week. A bit of it is writer incompetency, because even though science absolutely killed Sandy's character, it gave us great episodes like Squidtastic Voyage and SquidBob TentaclePants. It opened the show up to new plots... But then the writers basically forgot Sandy existed until Season 8. They killed a character, but at the same time gave themselves a whole new type of show to explore, and then waited 6 years to do those plots.

The kicker is that they STILL had to bring back the extreme side to Sandy in the latest Seasons with episodes like Squirrel Record (one of few episodes that manages to effortlessly blend Pre and Post-Movie Sandy, and I hope is indicative of future eps with her), because Science Sandy a lot of the times just isn't a substantial character.

tl;dr: the smart side of her that was barely touched upon in S1-3 was over-exaggerated and in turn that turned Sandy into a stale cracker for 4 seasons, and that's why I think Science Sandy is garbage and the shift never should've happened.

E.V.I.L said:
4) But...... if you watch something 100 times and you don't think it's funny anymore, you don't think it's funny anymore, period. There's episodes out there which are still funnier after the 100th time so why praise the ones that aren't more than the ones that are? And of course pre-movie is still good and still better than Season 5-7... I rarely ever see someone say that post-movie is better so idk where you thought this became a popular opinion
This is where audience intent, overplay, and subjectivity come in. Overplay of anything will lessen it's quality, because much of humor itself comes from being unexpected - Even humor that isn't like that, like wordplay, still isn't funny after watching something a hundred times. I marathonned S1-3 the other day, and I don't think I laughed out loud once - and that's the response I give to Seasons 5-7. However, that doesn't mean these episodes aren't funny - I was rolling for 10 minutes the first time I saw KKTV. That's classic TV, and even though I don't laugh at it anymore, I still recognize the jokes and still see their merit, because they're still as fresh and funny as they were the day they aired, but they elicit no reaction from me because I KNOW what's going to happen, which takes away a lot. And that's not the episode's fault, so I hardly think it's fair to say that an episode isn't "funny anymore" when you simply just don't laugh at it. Of course you're not going to after the hundredth time. That doesn't mean the episode on a fair scale isn't good anymore.

The only joke I can still laugh at after years of rewatch is in The Simpsons when Satan is threatening to send Homer to h ell and Bart walks in and Satan just casually says "Hey Bart.". That's it.

And it just seems that lately people seem to take pleasure in finding the flaws in Pre-Movie and pointing them out in some desperate attempt to say "SEE?! IT WASN'T THAT GREAT! IT HAD FLAWS TOO! POST-MOVIE DOESN'T DESERVE THE CRITICISM! SEE?!! HAHAHAAH-". I don't think people realize how good those first seasons were, because aside from a clunker or two, it's literally flawless children's television. Funny, sweet, heartwarming, and well-written- We might never get anything that level from this show again, although we've gotten glimpses recently, and to see people trying to deface a goldmine in favor of what we've gotten in the past ten years is just kinda sad. Nobody's said it's better or anything but it feels like to make a point about Post-Movie not being bad, people have to bash parts of Pre to get the point across. It felt like that was becoming a popular opinion around here so if not my bad I guess

Jibbix said:
Hardly. She was always smart, but aside from Sandy's Rocket (which in itself is really weird in the context of the first 3 seasons), Sandy was never really a scientist, just an edgy squirrel from Texas. If they had added science as another element to her character whilst keeping what made Sandy Sandy, I wouldn't have cared.

But they didn't.

Minus the exception of Karate Island for karate, and To Save A Squirrel/Rodeo Daze for her edgy side, from Season 4 to Season, the Sandy portrayed was a bland girl who's main focus was science, and they occasionally remember that she's from Texas. That's a far cry from the extreme, feminist we saw in episodes like Pressure and Pre-Hibernation Week. A bit of it is writer incompetency, because even though science absolutely killed Sandy's character, it gave us great episodes like Squidtastic Voyage and SquidBob TentaclePants. It opened the show up to new plots... But then the writers basically forgot Sandy existed until Season 8. They killed a character, but at the same time gave themselves a whole new type of show to explore, and then waited 6 years to do those plots.

The kicker is that they STILL had to bring back the extreme side to Sandy in the latest Seasons with episodes like Squirrel Record (one of few episodes that manages to effortlessly blend Pre and Post-Movie Sandy, and I hope is indicative of future eps with her), because Science Sandy a lot of the times just isn't a substantial character.

tl;dr: the smart side of her that was barely touched upon in S1-3 was over-exaggerated and in turn that turned Sandy into a stale cracker for 4 seasons, and that's why I think Science Sandy is garbage and the shift never should've happened.

This is where audience intent, overplay, and subjectivity come in. Overplay of anything will lessen it's quality, because much of humor itself comes from being unexpected - Even humor that isn't like that, like wordplay, still isn't funny after watching something a hundred times. I marathonned S1-3 the other day, and I don't think I laughed out loud once - and that's the response I give to Seasons 5-7. However, that doesn't mean these episodes aren't funny - I was rolling for 10 minutes the first time I saw KKTV. That's classic TV, and even though I don't laugh at it anymore, I still recognize the jokes and still see their merit, because they're still as fresh and funny as they were the day they aired, but they elicit no reaction from me because I KNOW what's going to happen, which takes away a lot. And that's not the episode's fault, so I hardly think it's fair to say that an episode isn't "funny anymore" when you simply just don't laugh at it. Of course you're not going to after the hundredth time. That doesn't mean the episode on a fair scale isn't good anymore.

The only joke I can still laugh at after years of rewatch is in The Simpsons when Satan is threatening to send Homer to h ell and Bart walks in and Satan just casually says "Hey Bart.". That's it.

And it just seems that lately people seem to take pleasure in finding the flaws in Pre-Movie and pointing them out in some desperate attempt to say "SEE?! IT WASN'T THAT GREAT! IT HAD FLAWS TOO! POST-MOVIE DOESN'T DESERVE THE CRITICISM! SEE?!! HAHAHAAH-". I don't think people realize how good those first seasons were, because aside from a clunker or two, it's literally flawless children's television. Funny, sweet, heartwarming, and well-written- We might never get anything that level from this show again, although we've gotten glimpses recently, and to see people trying to deface a goldmine in favor of what we've gotten in the past ten years is just kinda sad. Nobody's said it's better or anything but it feels like to make a point about Post-Movie not being bad, people have to bash parts of Pre to get the point across. It felt like that was becoming a popular opinion around here so if not my bad I guess
I forgot you wrote essays so please excuse me if my response is awful. :P

I ain't disagreeing with you on Sandy, bucko. We need more Karate Sandy and that's the truth. :O At least it didn't come out of nowhere though.

I guess it's true that the episode "stays the same", but over time, my opinions just change becuase my humor tastes change and what not. Personally, if I think an episode is boring after the 100th time, I'm not going to still say it's my favorite becuase replayability is extremely important to me and anything that has a low replay value will probably become less liked by me as time goes on.

The Drifter

Some person.
I think Mrs. Puff's action in Demolition Doofus is totally justified. I mean, she's been terribly stressed out and mentally abused from SpongeBob's failure in driving. It's not her fault that she finally snapped and tries to kill SpongeBob in Demolition Doofus.

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
E.V.I.L said:
I guess it's true that the episode "stays the same", but over time, my opinions just change becuase my humor tastes change and what not. Personally, if I think an episode is boring after the 100th time, I'm not going to still say it's my favorite becuase replayability is extremely important to me and anything that has a low replay value will probably become less liked by me as time goes on.
And that's perfectly within reason. To say that an episode isn't good or isn't funny anymore as a result of that pushes that into objective territory, and that's not okay.

Back