Are we entering a dark age of cartoon shows?

Are we?

• Total voters

EntertainmentFanatic

Part Computer or Something
I mean yeah those channels aren't doing as good because not as many people are watching TV. It's all about YT/the internet nowadays. And personally I think we're heading into a better era because we got shows like Infinity Train coming up, some new animated stuff from Alex Hirsch, Amphibia, The Owl House, and we got shows like Milo's Murphy Law going on right now, as well as The Loud House. So personally no I don't think we're going into/in a dark stage for cartoons.

CannedBread

Moby Dollar
If you think about the quality of carttons from now and back then, the quality hasn't really gone down. I think we are headed into a dark age of cartoons because of the contents. Think about it like this. You get a burrito from chipoltle. You want certain things in it like beans and lettuce and chicken. But if they give you something other than you want, like all veggies and quac, then you wont like it. The quality is still pretty good, but the contents are not what you personally like. In my opinion, spongebob has gotten a lot more baby-ish, which i personally don't like, but that doesn't mean other people don't like it. Also, like what Fanatic said, Internet is taking over, and also programs that you can watch shows on like Netflix, as well as youtube. In my opinion, If disney and Nick made more cartoons, their stations would be doing betteer, because more people would enjoy them. Also, The death of Hillenburg i a big deal. Spongebob will go down in quality for sure, but even greater than that, It might mean the fall of Nickelodeon, because if spongebob(the highest grossing cartoon on nick) goes down in quality, then less and less people will watch, and the channel will go down. Sad to say, but I think that t.v. will go down in at least a decade. So yeah I agree with this statement.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
There are still some really excellent pieces of animation out there (Ducktales 2017, O.K KO, Craig of the Creek, etc.) Sure, it may not be as innovating of a time as the early-mid 2010's were (Say on CN and Disney specifically), but I'd say we're far better off with animation than a decade ago (With Nick as the exception of course).

Lettuce Have Fun

Floating Shopping List
I'm going with yes, personally, because I can't stand the meaningless wholesomeness of cartoons within the past 5 or so years. it's 100% a branding thing now, executives discovered that adults like kids shows, so now they are trying to appeal to the self-care/performative ally persona that so many adults in my generation are aligning with.

it started with adventure time branching out and touching on serious subjects, which was great and groundbreaking stuff. but then executives saw where the viewers (adults) were enjoying the forward-thinking and emotionally mature writing of adventure time and basically tried to make a whole genre out of it.

now we have stuff like that Hilda show, which looks exactly like Steven universe, in terms of character design. and I'm sure its yet another wholesome show that covers vaguely sociopolitical subjects that kids will understand exactly 0% of in order to emptily satiate the many adult person's desire for some sense of justice and peace in the world (but of course it will do no good because that same satiating gives the viewer a false sense of comfort, but let's be real: they're not looking for *real* results) and has scenes of vaguely anime-influenced battles with some Bad Guy(tm) with the protagonist succeeding and then going home and putting on a 2-sizes-too-large-sweater for the soft ~*aesthetic*~, heating up some milk to drink at 11pm while staring out the window at the moon because *exec voice* that's WINSOME AND CUTE, AND THATS WHAT THE VIEWERS WANT NOW, GREG! they do performative existential crisises and self-care bullet lists now for the retweets.
now how can we market this for maximum profit?

*ahem*

i just cannot stand the dishonesty of it all.

crushingmayhem

Krabby Patty Burglar
Cartoons will always have new opportunities of success when new artists arrive and new ideas flourish. Things might not look that good now but they can always improve later on.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
JCM said:
Regular Show ended. Adventure Time ended. SpongeBob better end now that Hillenburg is gone. Three stalwarts of animation are gone and the medium's gonna suffer for it.
I never watched Regular Show and I tried to get into Adventure Time but I just couldn't...however my point I'm trying to get to is that there will always be new cartoons that come around that will give us hope and laughter like before. We just have to have patience. :)

I'm sure its yet another wholesome show that covers vaguely sociopolitical subjects that kids will understand exactly 0% of in order to emptily satiate the many adult person's desire for some sense of justice and peace in the world (but of course it will do no good because that same satiating gives the viewer a false sense of comfort, but let's be real: they're not looking for *real* results) and has scenes of vaguely anime-influenced battles with some Bad Guy(tm) with the protagonist succeeding and then going home and putting on a 2-sizes-too-large-sweater for the soft ~*aesthetic*~, heating up some milk to drink at 11pm while staring out the window at the moon
They wear giant sweaters sometimes and there was one episode that dealt with homelessness, but apart from that your guess is completely off.

Lettuce Have Fun

Floating Shopping List
Vuvuzela Smasher said:
They wear giant sweaters sometimes and there was one episode that dealt with homelessness, but apart from that your guess is completely off.
sorry, but i just watched every single episode on super fast forward in 5 minutes and the show did everything i assumed it did, including the oddly specific and virtually impossible to actually be an accurate prediction of warm milk at 11pm

i'm magic

Back