Q1

• The Incredibles (2004)

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Incredibles 2 (2018)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
So today I went to see Incredibles 2 in a epilepsy warning-laden cinema, and here are my fresh thoughts on it.
- The epilepsy warnings were necessary! I don’t have epilepsy myself, but it was awful seeing the blue strobe lights blasting off the cinema screen. They’re for story purposes, I get that, but did the staff at Pixar not take off their soda-drinking shades when viewing this in their famous auditorium?
- I’m happy the story keeps the seriousness of the first movie, while also getting edgier with a more sinister villain.
- At the same time, it’s balanced out with some comedy, mostly involving Jak-Jak. It’s funnier than the first movie, and more action-packed, though whether I’d say is better is still up for my nostalgia to dictate.
- If there are two things I’ll take away from the serious side of the film, I love how it plays with a cliché that Disney and Pixar movies have been abusing recently. You see it set up with certain lines and behaviours, then it pulls a 180 that makes sense.
- The other thing is the political message. There’s both the rather preachy “doing the right thing should be legal” thing, which at least fits well for the supers and their history, and then there’s the “don’t let the media control you” message, which is worked well into the plot. Supers are being forced to go underground because of the media. Screenslaver’s able to hypnotise so many people because of TVs. This series is set in the 60s (somewhat), but this is a very powerful message that needs to be used more in the Information Age.
- The Tony Ridenger subplot was pretty good, but there shoud’ve been more Tony in it. However, I like how the beginning references Jak-Jak Attack, for those diehard Incredimaniacs to notice.
- Void is cute!
- Dash is more annoying than I remember, but he’s still funny. Him playing with the Incredi-Bile makes for some of the movie’s best jokes.
- Jak-Jak’s new powers are funny and creative. My favourite has to be the lavender safety foam.
- The sequel just seems more colourful than its predecessor. Brighter reds and blues, more superpowers, a new house for the characters (and your eyes) to explore.
- Most importantly, unlike Finding Dory, I don’t feel like too much of the movie’s owed to the first one. Sure it picks up right where the first left off, but you can watch the two consecutively and feel like they’re flowing.
What are your thoughts on the movie?

Klu

Moby Dollar
This is the best Pixar sequel since Toy Story 3. (I have nothing against Finding Dory, but I2 just stronger movie).
It's continues story from previous installment, instead of rehashing the same grounds, I like how this movie introduced more superheroes with unique powers and names (seriously, Disney now owns Marvel, Incredibles comic book, when??).
This movie pretty much on par with the original, but animation, action and comedy was a tad better. Animation in general is more colorful, but I think it's intentional. In the first movie colors were faded because they faded from Bob's life, and now, when supers get a chance to return, obviously world is more colorful.
Villain was a real downside in this movie, Disney, seriously, STOP this "surprise" villain shtick. I think the last time it's actually worked, was in Wreck-it-Ralph. While motivation is good, I don't like how this villain doesn't have any charisma. Movie chose to focus on "plot-twist" more, than actually fleshing out villain, it's motivation and it's character. Syndrome is much stronger in that regard.

Baloo

I GAVE YOU A JOB!
^ I haven't seen Incredibles 2 yet, but somehow I'm not surprised in the slightest that they have a hidden villain in it. Disney, I love you, but please quit your obsession with hidden villains; it's predictable because you won't stop doing it and the villains aren't given as much (if any) time to be evil/entertaining.

Anyway, I haven't seen the sequel yet, but as for the first film, I think it's pretty good. It's one that I wasn't really able to get into as a kid, but as I've grown older, I understand more of the plot and little touches in it. The action is great, Mr. Incredible's mid-life crisis is interesting, Syndrome is a great villain who has a good backstory and is a perfect mix of being sinister and entertaining, and it's an all-around enjoyable experience. I don't like it as much as say the Toy Story films or Monsters Inc, but it's still pretty good and one of the better Pixar films.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
I don't think it's too fair for me to say, but I still feel like Pixar keeps making a lot of sequels, which doesn't really suit that well for original movies. We had Finding Dory, Cars 3, and this. I think ever since Disney bought Pixar it's kind of gone downhill a tad bit. I haven't seen the movie though, so I don't know if it's any good. I am not looking at the reviews for spoiler sake, but what I do know is that the original Incredibles is just that; incredible. I may see it, but I don't know.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
FinnDinner said:
I don't think it's too fair for me to say, but I still feel like Pixar keeps making a lot of sequels, which doesn't really suit that well for original movies. We had Finding Dory, Cars 3, and this. I think ever since Disney bought Pixar it's kind of gone downhill a tad bit. I haven't seen the movie though, so I don't know if it's any good. I am not looking at the reviews for spoiler sake, but what I do know is that the original Incredibles is just that; incredible. I may see it, but I don't know.
Well, Pixar was bought out in 2006, and their record wasn't really tainted until the infamous Cars 2 release. Still, we did get Inside Out and Coco in recent time, so there's still hope that Pixar still has it, if they escape this never ending cycle of sequels.

Anyway, I don't really know how to put this into perspective, because there's so much the Incredibles 2 does right, and so much it does wrong. I really had fun watching it, I think putting the idea into my mind that it wouldn't be as amazing as the first prior to viewing it certainly helped out. Because it wasn't, it was still a good movie, but the first Incredibles is truly a flawless masterpiece, arguably the best Pixar film in my book.

The highlight of Incredibles 2 was definitely Jack-Jack. He's such an adorable character, and it was a lot of fun seeing him mess around with his powers. His interactions with Bob are great, and I especially really like the raccoon battle, that was really fun to watch. I think this movie perfectly developed Jack-Jack's character since the amazing twist from the end of the first movie, I'd say he's easily the highlight of this film.

The worst part of the movie was definitely the villain. Screen slayer as a villain was very creative and interesting, I think that mystery element truly made "him" such an interesting character. Unfortunately, the stale "villain revealed plot twist" completely botched the character in my book. I kind of expected both the brother and the sister to be a tag team villain, and I think it's kind of funny how I was more surprised that the brother wasn't a villain at all. That's how run in the ground this trope is!

Arguably, the best part of the film was the second act. When Helen is out fighting as Elastigirl (Prior to finding out who the villain truly is), and Bob deals with the hassle of being a parent, along with Jack-Jack's powers being first discovered, this is easily the best part of the film. The film kind of has a slow start, I didn't really care for the Underminer battle (Personally, I found it underwhelming given the attention put on "watching Jack-Jack"), and I especially can't stand Bob's jealousy arc. I understand that he's been earning to go out and fight crime once again, but his jealousy towards his wife (Which thank goodness is cut off thanks to Jack-Jack's arc) totally defeats the character growth of the first film! I don't expect this sequel to be a masterpiece, but it should at least have more character consistency with the first film. Bob's jealousy isn't entirely out of character, I just think it should've been a lot more subtle, show that underneath he still feels a jealousy and really does still love fighting crime, but he tries to oppress it, realizing it's for the good of the family, his family, which he loves.

To sum up my problems with this subject, the first film developed Bob from being a character who desires to relive the glory days as a super, but in the end, after painstakingly coming to a belief that his family is dead, he realizes not what he appreciates, but who he appreciates, his family.

The third act was decent, I liked the kids' involvement, and I thought the battle at the house was pretty cool to watch. I personally didn't really care for all the other supers, I thought they were kind of mediocre. Some powers are really cool like Void's and that crushing guy. They really lacked any personality, aside from Void obviously. The hypnosis I wasn't really a fan of, but I guess it was a pretty difficult enough challenge to face, so seeing the antagonist's plan fall through, is all the more satisfying, I guess? The climax with the boat wasn't that good too be honest. Sure, the same can be said for the "big showdown" between Frozone/The Incredibles and the Robot in the first movie, but I think what made that special was the fact that this was only the second time they were fighting together as a family, plus it was really cool to see Frozone in action for the first time.

By the way, the animation in this movie is GORGEOUS! The backgrounds, the little details on the characters from Violet's bags under her eyes to Bob's five o'clock shadow that progressively gets worse and worse, the longer he deals with Jack-Jack, but I think the best scene in the movie (Save for the best character) was definitely the train scene. I think what made the boat scene not so climactic, was how incredible (No pun intended) Elastigirl's different battles with the screen slayer were. That train scene is beautiful, and is one of the many highlights of the movie. Yeah, I know I keep talking down about the movie in depth, but on the surface, if you just want to watch something really entertaining, I'd go for this film. It's still lots of fun to watch, it just has some relatively dull moments. The Incredibles is obviously better than this film, 100%, but it's still a good film overall. I'd give it around an 8.5/10

And yes, it is one of the better Pixar sequels out there, so much better than the underwhelming B-Movie Monster's University, the unnecessary Cars sequels, and the rehash that is Finding Dory. Oh yeah, THERE'S NO NEED FOR A TOY STORY 4!!!

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Wintermelon43 said:
Pixar hasn't gone downhill lmao

Why do people keep saying that
Because they keep chugging out subpar/unnecessary sequels. Compare the movies of this decade to the 2000's. Their level of movie making was superb, with the likes of Monster's Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Wall-E, Up, etc.

This decade, yes has seen some amazing films like Toy Story 3, Inside Out, and Coco. But a good chunk of the movie studio's productions are subpar to their former work, Monsters University, Finding Dory, Cars 2/3, they're all on the level of say Dreamworks' finer works (Not Dreamworks' best works, arguably Shrek 1/2, The How To Train Your Dragon Trilogy, and the Kung Fu Panda movies are superior to the likes of these, in terms of writing). These movies aren't bad, but the company that used to be above and beyond is now producing films they would've rejected a decade ago.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
Oh yeah, THERE'S NO NEED FOR A TOY STORY 4!!!
Even as someone who loves the Toy Story trilogy, I have no hope for this movie. The way the third one wrapped things up so nicely, the TV movies continuing the story anyway, people stepping down from production for “spiritual reasons”, Don Rickles dying, director John Lasseter leaving Disney due to his crude history, it’s all adding up to a Sonic 06-scale cancer to the franchise.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
Pixar and Nickelodeon have something in common

They used to be renouned for original ideas and concepts but have been afraid to take chances which forces them to fall back on tried-and-true franchises

For Pixar it's The Incredibles, Cars, Finding Nemo, etc

For Nick it's Double Dare, Rocko's Modern Life, Invader Zim, etc

The success of Cars ruined Pixar

The success of SpongeBob ruined Nickelodeon

I think both companies can fix themselves but only if they are willing

As for Incredibles 2, I haven't seen it & have no desire to

I watched the original before though

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Mikurotoro92 said:
Pixar and Nickelodeon have something in common
They used to be renouned for original ideas and concepts but have been afraid to take chances which forces them to fall back on tried-and-true franchises
For Pixar it's The Incredibles, Cars, Finding Nemo, etc
For Nick it's Double Dare, Rocko's Modern Life, Invader Zim, etc
The success of Cars ruined Pixar
The success of SpongeBob ruined Nickelodeon
I think both companies can fix themselves but only if they are willing
I disagree. Cars itself didn't ruin Pixar, it just gave Disney more of a want to squeeze money out of successful franchises. Cars' success as a merchandise powerhouse lead to Cars 2, Disney influenced the company to carry on with a sequel (One they obviously didn't put as much ambition or passion into compared to the first film). Unlike SpongeBob's success, which Nickelodeon turned into a hypocritical precedent (SpongeBob wasn't even an instant success, it took at least two years to become one), Pixar hasn't turned to making creations off of profit, they still make stories out of a legitimate passion and want to tell stories. Disney pushed the company more for more sequels, and I do agree with your stance that they can fix themselves if they truly wanted to (Heck, Pixar almost left Disney in 2005 because the company had the same issue with pressing for unnecessary sequels). Right now they're just about done their lineup of sequels (Heck, the only thing left is Toy Story 4, which sounds like a horrendous film), and I really hope the studio will come out with an announced lineup of original content for the next several years to come. Cars' success has not ruined Pixar, look at such films as Toy Story 3, Inside Out, Coco, etc.

No, their willingness to cave into marketing demands for more products has affected the overall quality of their film making.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Pixar still did make decent movies after be bought out (Up, Wal-E, Ratatouille, Inside Out and Toy Story 3). When they flop, they tend to flop in a bad Pixar way, not a bad way. Their worst movie is bad Pixar film, but to be honest, just a mediocre film for me in general. I feel like their constant on sequels seemed like a great idea to them. All you have to do is make up a continuation story, old fans will see their favorite movie's title, and you make a good profit over something easier than just coming up with something new. It's a real shame it appears that they are going down that route, but it at least makes sense from a marketing stand point.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Their recent movies aren't any worse though. I honestly really like the Cars movies.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
McSponge said:
I disagree. Cars itself didn't ruin Pixar, it just gave Disney more of a want to squeeze money out of successful franchises. Cars' success as a merchandise powerhouse lead to Cars 2, Disney influenced the company to carry on with a sequel (One they obviously didn't put as much ambition or passion into compared to the first film). Unlike SpongeBob's success, which Nickelodeon turned into a hypocritical precedent (SpongeBob wasn't even an instant success, it took at least two years to become one), Pixar hasn't turned to making creations off of profit, they still make stories out of a legitimate passion and want to tell stories. Disney pushed the company more for more sequels, and I do agree with your stance that they can fix themselves if they truly wanted to (Heck, Pixar almost left Disney in 2005 because the company had the same issue with pressing for unnecessary sequels). Right now they're just about done their lineup of sequels (Heck, the only thing left is Toy Story 4, which sounds like a horrendous film), and I really hope the studio will come out with an announced lineup of original content for the next several years to come. Cars' success has not ruined Pixar, look at such films as Toy Story 3, Inside Out, Coco, etc.

No, their willingness to cave into marketing demands for more products has affected the overall quality of their film making.
Are you saying the situation with SpongeBob is worse?

Didn't expect that on a SBSP fansite lol

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!

It’s still comparing a top-of-the-line animation studio to a dying network in a dying format, obviously the former has straighter priorities and better ways of making money.

Anyway, Who wants to talk about The Incredibles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R44MvXeEQw

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
EmployeeAMillion said:
It’s still comparing a top-of-the-line animation studio to a dying network in a dying format, obviously the former has straighter priorities and better ways of making money.

Anyway, Who wants to talk about The Incredibles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R44MvXeEQw
Wow, I had absolutely no idea lol.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Mikurotoro92 said:

Oh definitely yes. Nickelodeon directly set their ambitions too high after SpongeBob reached it's peak (Not necessarily in quality, but in popularity) in the mid-late 2000's. Essentially, the company set the show's success as a ridiculous precedent that if a show isn't an instant hit, it ought to be cancelled. It's not directly SpongeBob's fault, but the company mismanaged the rest of their properties after having a cashcow as big as SpongeBob.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
I think what happened is Nick was so taken aback by SpongeBob's popularity surge they didn't know how to handle it

They've never had a hit of this caliber before

At least Pixar doesn't get in the way of Disney's animated movies

Back