SLAM!

Tacomaster

Moby Dollar
SLAM!, short for Super Large Action Madness, was a short-lived action block on Nickelodeon from August 25, 2002 to March 2003. RebelTaxi described it as the "Edgy Teen Angst Hour", but it was actually two hours. Shows included Speed Racer, Men in Black, Robot Wars, Super Duper Sumos... um, B-Butt Ugly Martians...

Shows that mattered included Invader Zim and nothing else.

The mascot was this black and white graffiti dude that played guitar and rode on a skateboard, so you know he's EDGY! Promos include:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZcYVErNUo8

And the intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=909m8jbWRIU

An action block on Nickelodeon could have had potential, but the terrible, supposedly actiony programming(Butt Ugly Martians), 3edgy5me branding, lack of publicity, and overall hostility towards action cartoons after 9/11- especially at Nickelodeon("Action shows turn children into terrorists" - Cyma Zarghami), SLAM! was quietly cancelled and quickly forgot about, and with a few exceptions(Avatar), action cartoons on Nickelodeon vanished. Like it or not, SLAM was an interesting experiment, and it's unlikely that we'll ever see anything like it again...

OR IS IT?

Turn on NickToons. Like, right now. Look through the schedule. Look at some promos. Edgy branding? Check. Supposedly actiony, terrible shows? Check. Little publicity? The channel is barely advertised outside of itself- not even it's sister networks advertise it. NickToons may have started out like NickSplat, but now it's become SLAM! in all but name.

How would you make an actiony Nickelodeon block? What programs would have aired there(dropped pilots picked up as well as actual shows)? What years would it air? What would it's timeslot be? What would it be called? Leave your answers in the replies below!

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Tacomaster said:
How would you make an actiony Nickelodeon block?
I wouldn't, Nick needs creativity right now, and this right is a path straight to what I call "2007 Failure" which is how Nick ended up like this in the first place. They may need other things, more artwork, more fourth-wall shows, less sitcoms, but I definatly don't think they need this. If they can pull through with creativity FIRST, then do something like this, would probably be the best business decision.

Tacomaster

Moby Dollar
FinnDinner said:
I wouldn't, Nick needs creativity right now, and this right is a path straight to what I call "2007 Failure" which is how Nick ended up like this in the first place. They may need other things, more artwork, more fourth-wall shows, less sitcoms, but I definatly don't think they need this. If they can pull through with creativity FIRST, then do something like this, would probably be the best business decision.
I meant, if you had a block for action programs. 99% of Nick shows right now are comedy.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Tacomaster said:
I meant, if you had a block for action programs. 99% of Nick shows right now are comedy.
Oh, well then it would definitely be minimal, the last thing Nick needs is an emphasis on action, cause it never works out.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Tacomaster said:
What ever do you mean?
Wow really sorry, I think we are confusing each other here. I'm just saying that if I was the guy in charge of Nick, and I am considering the action block. If I were to follow through with it, it would be more lackluster UNTIL Nickelodeon kinda rebounds in creativity, then I would make the block more awesome and focus more energy on it.

Tacomaster

Moby Dollar
FinnDinner said:
Wow really sorry, I think we are confusing each other here. I'm just saying that if I was the guy in charge of Nick, and I am considering the action block. If I were to follow through with it, it would be more lackluster UNTIL Nickelodeon kinda rebounds in creativity, then I would make the block more awesome and focus more energy on it.
I mean, what time period and shows would you put on it?

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Tacomaster said:
I mean, what time period and shows would you put on it?
Oh well my shows don't exist yet, this is going to me hopefully as soon as Nick is more creative so I'm guessing the time period will be the late 2020's.

Tacomaster

Moby Dollar
FinnDinner said:
Oh well my shows don't exist yet, this is going to me hopefully as soon as Nick is more creative so I'm guessing the time period will be the late 2020's.
You can put existing shows from the past, too, and your block can be in the past.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Well no it's in the future because Nick isn't that creative in the present, and the past has already happened, so I'll slide it with new, original shows in the future with a more creative Nick network. :sbhands:

Tacomaster

Moby Dollar
FinnDinner said:
Well no it's in the future because Nick isn't that creative in the present, and the past has already happened, so I'll slide it with new, original shows in the future with a more creative Nick network. :sbhands:
I mean, just because the past already happened doesn't mean you can't think of alternate universes.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Tacomaster said:
I mean, just because the past already happened doesn't mean you can't think of alternate universes.
We're talking about Nick here though, I don't really want to alter Nick history just for an action block that I don't even think would fit, to be honest.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
("Action shows turn children into terrorists" - Cyma Zarghami)
I really hate that mindset. The shows you watch don’t 100% influence your behaviour, it’s the impact of all media that does so. For instance, I watched stuff like Ben 10 and The Secret Saturdays (the latter of which I remember next-to-nothing about), and those didn’t make me violent. That’s just one example of a person growing up fine with action shows, there are many others.

Tacomaster

Moby Dollar
EmployeeAMillion said:
I really hate that mindset. The shows you watch don’t 100% influence your behaviour, it’s the impact of all media that does so. For instance, I watched stuff like Ben 10 and The Secret Saturdays (the latter of which I remember next-to-nothing about), and those didn’t make me violent. That’s just one example of a person growing up fine with action shows, there are many others.
Perfection.

Mikurotoro92 said:
Since Cyma got fired from Nickelodeon, she can always become a board member of the Parents Television Council

The PTC would be perfect for her!
What is that?

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
I'd rather put the network's focus on simply just cartoons, given how terrible they're treated (Seriously, they need some kind of animation block, the suffering of Welcome to the Wayne is majorly disappointing). Anyway, if I had to design an action block, its content would really all depend on what action pilots are presented to me. But, if it were to air, say this fall, here's my ideal lineup. It'd air Friday nights from 8-10 (Ooh, I'm cutting into Nick@Nite's time, like we totally need a thousand more Full House/Friends reruns).

8:00- Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
8:30- Glitch Techs
9:00- Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel
9:30- [Rerun] Rotation of Avatar, TMNT 2012, Korra, or Danny Phantom
10:00- Another Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Tacomaster

Moby Dollar
I'd rather put the network's focus on simply just cartoons, given how terrible they're treated (Seriously, they need some kind of animation block, the suffering of Welcome to the Wayne is majorly disappointing). Anyway, if I had to design an action block, its content would really all depend on what action pilots are presented to me. But, if it were to air, say this fall, here's my ideal lineup. It'd air Friday nights from 8-10 (Ooh, I'm cutting into Nick@Nite's time, like we totally need a thousand more Full House/Friends reruns).

8:00- Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
8:30- Glitch Techs
9:00- Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel
9:30- [Rerun] Rotation of Avatar, TMNT 2012, Korra, or Danny Phantom
10:00- Another Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Name?

Back