Episodes that Would Make Better 22 Minute Specials

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Do you guys think any episodes that were 11 minutes should have been more developed as 22 minute specials? I personally think Welcome to the Chumbucket should've been a 22 minute special, so what do you guys think?

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Gone. Could of been such a great episode if they did something cool right before the horrible ending, and made something great, rather than something great ending horribly due to lack of time to do anything good.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Atlantis SquarePantis. Shorten it down to a 22 minute special, and it'd lack a bunch of filler.

LARRY22

Giant Clam
SB-129. Seriously, That plot is very unique from the rest of Season 1, even the rest of the show for that matter. If the episode was twenty-two minutes instead of eleven, that ending where Squidward sees SpongeBob and Patrick again will be even more worth it. Also, that episode was the last one to air in 1999. It even aired on the very last day of December, 12/31/99, and that makes it even more special.

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
EmployeeAMillion said:
Waiting. No joke, there should’ve been more to it, at least enough to justify its existence.
...whoa. I literally had the same episode in mind when I first got notified of this topic. I was thinking that the plot would've been fun to explore if there was perhaps a nice little montage scene that comedically shows the passage of time as well as SpongeBob's dedication to waiting for the product; the way in which the episode does it is kinda meh, from what I can remember. I believe this episode was inspired by the Special Delivery story which is where I got the idea from. (but, hey, the toy in the episode is better than the one in the book...)

Other episodes in mind are Squilliam Returns and Best Day Ever; the latter in particular could have been a fun little musical where each of the characters sings their own little songs of happiness once SpongeBob helps them when they're in distress. Of course, though, the episode would have to start and end with BDE and the BDE reprise respectively because duh. :P

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
LARRY22 said:
SB-129. Seriously, That plot is very unique from the rest of Season 1, even the rest of the show for that matter. If the episode was twenty-two minutes instead of eleven, that ending where Squidward sees SpongeBob and Patrick again will be even more worth it. Also, that episode was the last one to air in 1999. It even aired on the very last day of December, 12/31/99, and that makes it even more specialMost
Most shows don't have special episodes in their first season

spongebranch

Banished
Feral Friends and Back to the Past. Feral Friends could have shown more characters getting transformed into primal state like Bubble Bass, Plankton (it WAS in the rough storyboard though), pretty much all of the show's other incidental fish (we could actually learn what sea creatures they are based off of as well) rather than a select few, Gary the Snail, maybe even the scallops. Back to the Past could show the show's other main characters in the altered present controlled by Man Ray.

Truth or Square too. So it can get less of Patchy's BS and feel more interesting.

On another note, SpongeBob, You're Fired is better off as a 15 minute episode with all of that filler, especially the ones where almost nothing is going on that could've easily got shortened.

Growlie

Best Boy
SB-129. Seriously, That plot is very unique from the rest of Season 1, even the rest of the show for that matter. If the episode was twenty-two minutes instead of eleven, that ending where Squidward sees SpongeBob and Patrick again will be even more worth it. Also, that episode was the last one to air in 1999. It even aired on the very last day of December, 12/31/99, and that makes it even more special.
What about if it were a Tv movie?
Feral Friends and Back to the Past. Feral Friends could have shown more characters getting transformed into primal state like Bubble Bass, Plankton (it WAS in the rough storyboard though), pretty much all of the show's other incidental fish (we could actually learn what sea creatures they are based off of as well) rather than a select few
Also Squilliam being either primal, or chased around by a primal Squidward to being saved by Sandy then working with her would've made it fun too.

LARRY22

Giant Clam
What about if it were a Tv movie?

Also Squilliam being either primal, or chased around by a primal Squidward to being saved by Sandy then working with her would've made it fun too.

That would be even cooler! Squidward would go on many adventures, there would be more events (It would be really cool to see SpongeBob and Patrick's younger and older selves, not just the past and future incarnations of themselves).
Most shows don't have special episodes in their first season
Oh yeah, I forgot :P I feel like they didn't make any 22+ minute episodes in Season 1 because it would take too long to paint everything and animate due to the cel-animation.

Growlie

Best Boy
That would be even cooler! Squidward would go on many adventures, there would be more events (It would be really cool to see SpongeBob and Patrick's younger and older selves, not just the past and future incarnations of themselves).
He could also run into Squilliam the...what ever number his descendant would be,
it certainly couldn't be 4th or 5th.

While it's still my favorite season 9 episode, I think Pull Up a Barrel would've been even better as a 22 minute episode. First of all, it means we get more screen time for Mr. Krabs's navy adventures, especially since the episode sometimes cuts back to SpongeBob, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs at the table. Second of all, the episode takes place in a different time period, and most episodes that do that are 22 minutes (Ugh, Dunces and Dragons, Pest of the West, etc.)

Growlie

Best Boy
Now for an opinion of my own. I'll pick Giant Squidward, if you added Squilliam and just made Him the one teasing Squidward instead of the Bottomites being unfair to Squidward. Or the Bottomites were just the first half and the rest was Squilliam teasing and laughing at Squidward...then maybe that would work...

Also SpongeBob and Patrick would Still cause Squidward to grow, but they'd do it in a less stupid way and would actually be helpful to Squidward.

Then closer to the end Squidward gets fed up with Squilliam and, perhaps Intimidated him to crease his tauntings...

Giant Squidward could've been better I think, that's what I'm trying to get.

Back