Photo

My thought about every Spongebob Episode (REVISED)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 EmployeeAMillion

Soon

• Members
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:21 PM

Hey, for once Honest Slug was honest.

I just hope this is all considered healthy discussion instead of needless flaming.

#52 Depressed Luigi

Luigi got fired from Atlantis by dpongebob, and is now unable to afford any food except Eggplants

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:25 PM

I strongly disagree with both sentiments here.

Pre-movie deserves all the praise it gets. And honestly I find the people who downplay it about as obnoxious as the people who say there's no good episodes after the first movie. The first 3 seasons are near-perfect comedic television with a healthy balance of wit, humor, fun characters and silly plots in nearly every episode. A good chunk of the pre-movie episodes that are hated are only really hated because of connections with post-movie. The Great Snail Race gets compared to A Pal for Gary. I'm With Stpud gets compared to later Patrick episodes like The Card and Yours, Mine and Mine. And Jellyfishing and Club SpongeBob get compared to the bad Squid torture episodes of later seasons like Choir Boys and Boating Buddies, despite the fact that ALL of these episodes are miles above their post-movie successors and do many of the things they did wrong right. Maybe some people never liked these episodes, but I really get the impression that people are giving these episodes a bad rap simply for having superficial connections to later episodes. Seasons 1-3 are consistently hilarious, and even the weaker links like Party Pooper Pants and Dumped are far more watchable than the junk they spewed out in seasons 6-9a. Seasons 4 and 5 might have god-tier episodes like Dunces and Dragons, Fear of a Krabby Patty, The Pink Purloiner, Roller Cowards, Krabs a la Mode, Sing a Song of Patrick, Blackened Sponge and Battle of Bikini Bottom, but they produced trashy episodes like Squid Wood, All That Glitters, Banned in Bikini Bottom, Atlantis, Fungus Among Us, To Love a Patty and SpongeHenge.

As for 9b, as great as it is, it really doesn't hold a candle to seasons 1-3. The only episodes in 9b that I think stack-up to season 3's humor are Patrick! The Game, Sold! and Bulletin Board. The rest of the season is pretty funny but really would still rank on the lower end of seasons 2 and 3. Plus there's Mutiny on the Krusty and The Fishbowl which are worse than anything in seasons 1-3 by a lot. There's other episodes that are great for reasons other than humor, even if they have humor, like Mall Girl Pearl and Pull Up a Barrel, but humor is much more important to the show than story as you can't do much in 11 minutes and what little that happens will be reset in 11 minutes. Really the only episodes that I think have super compelling stories are Dunces and Dragons and Friend or Foe. Dunces and Dragons is one of the funniest episodes of the entire series to boot. Seasons 10 and 11 aren't even close and I don't feel like bothering to compare them.

Minus the mention of Atlantis and Battle of Bikini Bottom, I strongly agree with all of this. This is what I was thinking.

#53 hippythehippo

Part Computer Or Something

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:49 PM

Pre-movie deserves all the praise it gets. And honestly I find the people who downplay it about as obnoxious as the people who say there's no good episodes after the first movie. The first 3 seasons are near-perfect comedic television with a healthy balance of wit, humor, fun characters and silly plots in nearly every episode. A good chunk of the pre-movie episodes that are hated are only really hated because of connections with post-movie. The Great Snail Race gets compared to A Pal for Gary. I'm With Stpud gets compared to later Patrick episodes like The Card and Yours, Mine and Mine. And Jellyfishing and Club SpongeBob get compared to the bad Squid torture episodes of later seasons like Choir Boys and Boating Buddies, despite the fact that ALL of these episodes are miles above their post-movie successors and do many of the things they did wrong right. Maybe some people never liked these episodes, but I really get the impression that people are giving these episodes a bad rap simply for having superficial connections to later episodes. Seasons 1-3 are consistently hilarious, and even the weaker links like Party Pooper Pants and Dumped are far more watchable than the junk they spewed out in seasons 6-9a. Seasons 4 and 5 might have god-tier episodes like Dunces and Dragons, Fear of a Krabby Patty, The Pink Purloiner, Roller Cowards, Krabs a la Mode, Sing a Song of Patrick, Blackened Sponge and Battle of Bikini Bottom, but they produced trashy episodes like Squid Wood, All That Glitters, Banned in Bikini Bottom, Atlantis, Fungus Among Us, To Love a Patty and SpongeHenge.

As for 9b, as great as it is, it really doesn't hold a candle to seasons 1-3. The only episodes in 9b that I think stack-up to season 3's humor are Patrick! The Game, Sold! and Bulletin Board. The rest of the season is pretty funny but really would still rank on the lower end of seasons 2 and 3. Plus there's Mutiny on the Krusty and The Fishbowl which are worse than anything in seasons 1-3 by a lot. There's other episodes that are great for reasons other than humor, even if they have humor, like Mall Girl Pearl and Pull Up a Barrel, but humor is much more important to the show than story as you can't do much in 11 minutes and what little that happens will be reset. Really the only episodes that I think have super compelling stories are Dunces and Dragons and Friend or Foe. Dunces and Dragons is one of the funniest episodes of the entire series to boot. Seasons 10 and 11 aren't even close and I don't feel like bothering to compare them.

Besides your high opionion on season 4 and 5, and low opinion on 11, I pretty much agree with this statement (though I feel you are underrating the best episodes of 10 and 11. Feral Friends, Mermaid Pants, Mimic Madness, Teachers Pests, and Squid Noir are pretty much better than every 9b episode, and can fit in with 2-3 episodes. But, that comes down to taste). 

#54 Klu

Bomb-Selling Pirate

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:09 AM

As for 9b, as great as it is, it really doesn't hold a candle to seasons 1-3. The only episodes in 9b that I think stack-up to season 3's humor are Patrick! The Game, Sold! and Bulletin Board. The rest of the season is pretty funny but really would still rank on the lower end of seasons 2 and 3. Plus there's Mutiny on the Krusty and The Fishbowl which are worse than anything in seasons 1-3 by a lot. There's other episodes that are great for reasons other than humor, even if they have humor, like Mall Girl Pearl and Pull Up a Barrel, but humor is much more important to the show than story as you can't do much in 11 minutes and what little that happens will be reset. Really the only episodes that I think have super compelling stories are Dunces and Dragons and Friend or Foe. Dunces and Dragons is one of the funniest episodes of the entire series to boot. Seasons 10 and 11 aren't even close and I don't feel like bothering to compare them.

Well, you downplaying many great episodes in season 11, in my eyes. Probably it's your true honest unbiased opinion, but even if it's, that simply means that mine opinion on pre-movie is honest and unbiased too.

I think SpongeBob fanbase is kinda divisive, because it's mainly a comedy show and comedy is really subjective matter, for the most part. That's why some don't like episodes like The Great Snail Race and I'm with stupid, while others really like them. This is the reason, why haters and lovers of post-sequel so common from the both sides, and that's why even season 6-9b has some defenders (not that I agree with them anyway).

But overall your position is understandable. well-argued and well-written, it was enjoyable to read, and I respect your opinion. If only every person could make a good, civilized discussion out of disagreement, rather than creating unhealthy unreasonable one.

#55 Random Guy

Imitation Krab

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:18 AM

Even though S11 hasn't met its end yet, let's uncover season 10, the shortest so far:

205a) Whirly Brains GOOD (it's nothing like Pranks a Lot and Slide Whistle Stooges)
205b) Mermaid Pants GOOD (neither Spongebob or Patrick is annoying, and Squidward actually deserves his comeuppance)
206a) Unreal Estate GOOD (I like the alternate intros with different houses and Squidward does something which deserves to be punished, again)
206b) Code Yellow MEH (nonetheless, not here. It's not entirely bad, since some gags are solid, but did we really need Mrs. Puff to be here, too?)
207a) Mimic Madness GREAT (say what you want, but this is on the exact same levels as pre-movie gems. Every character is extremely likeable, and Spongebob's imitations are so entertaining. I also like how his voice actor nails their different voices, including the narrator. The song is great and Honolulu March playing during Spongebob's recover is just perfect) 
207b) House Worming BAD (I'm not a fan of this kind of plots. Be it SpongeHenge, Jellyfish Jam or Sanctuary, I don't care. They're so unoriginal and repetitive)
208a) Snooze You Lose MEH (the ending is a bit unfair, but once again, Spongebob and Patrick are far from their Giant Squidward selves)
208b) Krusty Katering GOOD (the kid is annoying, but there's plenty of gags and the overall wackiness is a nice touch. Patrick acts like a jerk for a good reason)
209a) Spongebob's Place MEH (not bad, but it's not a unique plot)
209b) Plankton Gets the Boot GOOD (not bad, either, even though Karen 2.0 ending was better)
210a) Life Insurance MEH (greedy Krabs is back. I didn't definitely miss him. Squidward is considerably naive here)
210b) Burst Your Bubble GREAT (clever concept for a great episode)
211a) Plankton Retires GOOD (to be fair, I don't get why this gets so much hate. Krabs outsmarting Plankton at the beginning is a nice sequence and the ending is all but predictable)
211b) Trident Trouble MEH (are we ever going to get a good episode with Neptune? I guess not, because he's a dull character. At the very least, this is no The Clash of Triton)
212a) The Incredible Shrinking Sponge BAD (this is so all over the place. The ending is far too simplistic)
212b) Sportz? HORRIBLE (if Squidward and Sandy are the least likeable characters here, you realize something is off)
213a) The Getaway GREAT (wackiness and exaggeration aren't necessarily a bad thing. This is really entertaining)
213b) Lost and Found MEH (the idea isn't bad, but the execution could be better. That whining kid is so annoying to hear all the time)
214a) Patrick's Coupon MEH (Patrick is himself, but the direction doesn't know where to go)
214b) Out of the Picture BAD (Krabs wants to kill Squidward so that his works gain value. This plot could've been perfect for season 8)
215a) Feral Friends GREAT (one of the best episodes. The concept is ingenious, by having characters act like in real life, which is not only super entertaining, but also quite informative, since we learn something about sea creatures)
215b) Don't Wake Patrick MEH (the cliched sleepwalking episode from any single animated show. I don't care for it)

So, season 10 has 4 GREAT, 6 GOOD, 8 MEH, 3 BAD and 1 HORRIBLE episode. While we're thankfully far away from S6-7, I still believe S9B is better than S10. It has two fantastic episodes, but also plenty of meh entries. Sportz is definitely the worst episode of the season, and I can't conceive how both Squidward and Sandy manage to be so unlikeable. Squidward's punishment is deserved, but Sandy acts way too brutally.

SEASON 1: 24/14/3

SEASON 2: 23/11/5

SEASON 3: 20/14/3

SEASON 4: 15/14/9

SEASON 5: 17/9/15

SEASON 6: 16/9/22

SEASON 7: 17/9/23

SEASON 8: 17/13/17

SEASON 9: 25/11/13

SEASON 10: 10/8/4

#56 Coffee_lover

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:41 AM

Sandy acts way too brutally.

I'm dnot wanna defending Sportz? at all.But Sandy acts way too brutally?I really disagree,all that she did is put Squidward down on the ground and protect SpongeBob and Patrick,and she was not even angry on Squidward,just showed him that he should not go too far.Sandy probably highlight of this bad episode

Edited by Coffee_lover, 04 May 2018 - 10:11 AM.

#57 Depressed Luigi

Luigi got fired from Atlantis by dpongebob, and is now unable to afford any food except Eggplants

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:54 AM

Sandy was the character that annoyed me the least

#58 TheGreatServer

NOT a Bunny now!

• Members
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:13 PM

I really like your reviewing style.

#59 spongebranch