Infinity Countdown: WhoBob reviews every single MCU movies before Infinity War

It seems like the perfect time to rewatch every single MCU movies before Infinity War comes out and I know it's going to be an awesome time. Just a reminder that MCU is far away from an amazing estabilished universe. Many choices they have made over 10 years were so jarring or really annoying. Not the mention a lot of MCU movies follow a noticable formula and tone, so that criticism will get more noticable as I keep reviewing these movies but so far I appreciated what they have done and so many characters they have introduced turned out to be bad*sses. If there's one thing that it does better than any other movie/tv universes, they set up something but that barely distracts the overall quality of their works and they end up being really good stand alone stories. Well there are exceptions but still.

I'm really excited for this project of mine because It's been a while since I have watched any of these movies and I wanna discover what made them special (good or not so good) again. It starts this sunday. Why sunday? Because that's when my midterms end. Yeah...

be hyped.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
uhh no. It's this month. :P
gonna be amazeballs to rewatch that movie.
Oh O_O

I thought I remembered there being something where they moved it forward one week or something so it was coming out end of March rather than early April. Am I one month ahead or something? :P

Wintermelon43 said:
Oh O_O

I thought I remembered there being something where they moved it forward one week or something so it was coming out end of March rather than early April. Am I one month ahead or something? :P
It was supposed to release in May, but they moved it to this month so it would release worldwide.

President Squidward said:
captain america on the poster T H O
I ALSO HAVE TO SHOW BUCKY'S POSTER AS WELL.

DZ9e5-TVwAYpiBT.jpg

Now Both Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes showing their goods. ;)

they are meant to be soulmates just because of that.

and comments on cap's poster FEEL THE SAME WAY

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/89rgrx/cap_iw_character_poster/

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Honestly the only ones I like are Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy 1+2, Homecoming, and Thor Ragnarok but I'm still interested in this.

Spongebob Griffbob

Moby Dollar
Look man, excited for you to do this since Infinity War will be the best movie in human history, but what is wrong with the text colour on your first post? Why do I have highlight it to read it?

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Look man, excited for you to do this since Infinity War will be the best movie in human history, but what is wrong with the text colour on your first post? Why do I have highlight it to read it?
It's a norl black font, there's nothing strange about it

Before I start this review, lemme just say that every single review contains spoilers from the movies. So If you haven't seen at least one of them, I suggest you to skip the reviews of the movies you haven't seen this.

Alright, lets begin this amazing cinematic universe with the first movie that planted the seeds. Without this movie's success, we would have nothing. NOTHING!!!

51eDErsnV0L.jpg

Airdate: May 2, 2008

Directed by Jon Favreau

Not gonna lie, this wasn't the first MCU movie I saw but this movie feels so different from what we are getting now. Everything started with this and oh boy, this was such a blast. When I watched this movie first, I remember liking it but didn't find it as great as everyone says. Probably because of the fact that I saw Avengers before this and Avengers felt very big and action-packed that this felt a bit flat in comprasion. But after seeing it the second time, I realized the whole slow build up to Tony becoming Iron Man felt so satisfying to watch.

This movie started off with Tony Stark being Middle East to show his new weapons and then getting hit by one of his weapons, which caused him such a big injury. From the opening scene, this movie had a great start. It showed us exactly how Tony is kind of a sarcastic snobby dude but during the scene with the guy making a peace sign, he commented that what would us do without peace. And after he was blown up, we went back to 36 hours earlier and there's an awards ceromony and they showed a clip of Tony's backstory and some of his personality. He's a genius scientist who makes weapons for the military, his dad helped building weapons during World War 2 and because of that, some of his work influced the guy to make weapons as well and he worked with Obadiah Stane to do that. He's patriotic and of course, that convinced him that making weapons provide peace for his country. However, he didn't show up to get his award. He was gambling during the ceremony and this gave away Tony's flaws as a person. It's not like he doesn't care about the peace in the wrodl but he is kind of a reckless person that wants to glorify himself and have fun without a caree. And he is such a playboy. After he interviews with one of the reporters, they had sex. I love that he's your typical rich guy. The one that gets the ladies, be sarcastic and egotistical. But that's not all of his traits. He has a heart but he can be kind of a screw up and a pain in the butt. We later get introduced to Pepper Potts who is Stark's secretary and has been helping Tony whenever he needs. Pepper is such a fresh character for many reasons. One thing is that she's not some damsel in distress or a naive girl in this story. She's the one that keeps Tony in check. Without her, Tony wouldn't survive as much in this world. She doesn't take crap from Tony but she does have feelings for him and thinks he has a good heart. There's also Rhodey, who is played by a different actor for some reason. He's Stark's friend who keeps him in check as well but later we learn that he works for military. We got solid introdictions to Tony's supporting characters and we cut back to Tony being healed by a guy named Yinsen. Sadly both of them were captured by the terrorists and the terrorists wanted Stark to build new weapons he built for the military. Tony realized that his weapons actually caused more harm than good. This played a big role in the movie and that made the movie unique on its own. It's not just some superhero acton movie. It's a commentary on how weapons can be destructive to human kind and when weapons gets into the wrong hands, people die. Tony was a character that did care about the world but he didn't care how saving the world works. He just built weapons and didn't care about what happens to them. Due to being held hostage by the terrorists, Tony thought that he wasn't going to survive even after he builds weapons to them. So he built his own suit with Yinsen to escape but Yinsen sacrificed himself to do it. We did learn a bit more about Yinsen before he died. He had a family but his family was killed by the terrorists and he had nothing left o lose. Sarificing himself was the only way to see them again and help Tony escape. Tony attacked the terrorists and he managed to escape and went back to USA.

What movies does it so well is that it makes the origin story for Stark interesting. We already have enough origin stories of the heroes' loved ones getting killed and yeah, Tony's parents were murdered as well but his parent's murder isn't really important to the story. Even after his parent's murder, Tony didn't turn into a hero quickly. I liked that he was a big screw up that made his weapons taken away by the terrotists and wasn't aware of it until he was blasted by them. It's true that Yinsen became someone Tony cared about and he died but before that, what drove Tony to be a superhero was to fix his wrongs. Stopping dangerous people from accessing any other dangerous weapons. When he decided to shut down his industries and pissed off Stane, he started to make a more upgraded version of his original suit. We knew that Tony was a genius person but it was compelling and fun to see him having misteps with working the suit. He might be smart but even the smartest people had some backfire from their creation. After he finished his suit, he started to fly and that was when I started to smile. The whole build up to this was so impressive that the moment I saw him becoming Iron Man and flying away with joy and happiness, it entertained me as heck. I cared about him and I was happy for him that he managed to be successful with his suit. As usual Tony had some missteps and crashed his place. Classic destructive Tony.

Tony later went to a charity and Pepper showed up there and this was when Tony and Pepper's chemistry was developed. They were kind of awkward with each other but it was obvious that they had romantic feelings with each other and the dance scene was just so adorable and kind of humorous. We were introduced to Phil Coulson, WHO IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MCU CHARACTER EVER AND IF YOU TELL ME OTHERWISE, I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN, who works for S.H.I.E.L.D and talked to Pepper about his work. Phil doesn't play a big part in the movie but he is an important character of this universe and he's the one that set up the whole universe, along with Nick Fury in the ending credits. After some awkward dance, he learnt that his weapons were recently shipped to Middle East and those caused so much harm to many families. This pissed off him and he went straight there to stop the terrorists. The whole scene in Middle East was pure action and I was on edge of my seat throughtout. I loved that there were terrorists but the whole musics weren't painted as them. There were many innocent muslims who were attacked by the terrorists in the movie and it made me appreciate that Tony isn't just fighting for Americans. He fights for anyone who is in danger. I live in a country with muslims and the terrorists attack them just as much as they attack Americans, If not more. So I was glad to see not all muslims weren't painted as terrorists. Tony managed to save the innocent muslims from terrorists and he attacked their basement. This was exposed by the military and tried to hunt down Tony. Tony later informed Rhodey that the guy it the suit was him and he made it stop. fter that, the terrorists got Tony's first suit. Later Stane went to take the suit and killed the terrorists. We went back to Tony trying to take his suit off and Pepper caught him. Pepper didn't like Tony doing it because it could lead to Tony's death but Tony told her that Iron Man is his purpose in life. That was when Robert Downey Jr. shines as Tony Stark. He was already a great choice for Tony but that part was acted very well by him that I realized that nobody can play Tony like him. This was the scene that showed how heroic Tony wants to be. Not because of some pride, because he wants to bring peace to the world and fix his problems. It is true that this was still Tony making weapons for peace but this time, he was fully in control to stop people from getting anymore of his weapons. He is the weapon this time and he's aware.

Pepper was told by Tony to hack into his company's files to see who shipped the weapons to the terrorists. Pepper found out that it was Stane who sold the weapons and ordered the terrorists to kill Tony. Pepper came across to Stane and luckily managed to get away from him. Then we went to Stane hiring the best engineers to make his own suit and this was when I found Stane to be such an intimidating villain. One down side of Stane was that he wasn't as interesting villain to make me care for his character but thanks to Jeff Bridge's acting, I found him to be threatening and scary. And getting in Tony's home and taking away Tony's arc reactor from his chest was cherry on top. Tony managed to get his original arc reactor that made Pepper removed and he took Iron Man suit to fight Stane, who became Iron Monger and tried to attack Pepper and hurt S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. At the very least Coulson was alive YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.............. We entered Tony and Stane fighting, which some people said was the weakest aspect of the movie but I thought the whole climax was built up nicely and the action was pretty solid. Compared to Iron Man, Iron Monger suit is much stronger but how Tony managed to put a fight with him was his brian and his experiences with the suit. But the real reason why Iron Monger was defeated was thanks to Pepper overiding the arc reactor below them. This proved that even normal people like her can be heroes. Stane died and Tony told the press he was Iron Man, what an iconic way to end a movie. The end credits was Tony meeting Nick Fury and Nick Fury telling him about Avengers project.

This movie was nothing but a joyful start to this wonderful universe and it didn't try that hard to set up the other movies. S.H.I.E.L.D and Coulson fit the whole movie and Nick Fury's introduction didn't feel forced. And the best of all, this movie managed to stand on its own. It was a great story of a man who had ideas to bring peace and justice to the world but didn't get the consequences from trying that. This was a cool superhero origin for Iron Man, who was kind of an A list superhero in Marvel comics but didn't get the full recognition to the whole world. This movie turned him into one of the most popular superheroes and none of this would happened without Robery Downey Jr playing Tony and a good script, budget and direction. This movie didn't impress me that much during the first time but after watching it again, I can totally say this movie aged much better.

MCU movie ranking:

Iron Man - A

The Incredible Hulk review is coming tomorrow!

this movie felt sooo strange, man.

MV5BMTUyNzk3MjA1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTE1Njg2MQ@@._V1_QL50_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

Airdate: June 13, 2008

Directed by Louis Leterrier

After seeing this movie again, it makes me wonder how much this was a big impact on the stories of MCU movies. This was mostly an origin story for Bruce Banner becoming Hulk and that's about it. No implications of this movie was ever brought up in the future movies, I believe and other than Ross appearing in Civil War, nothing. I gotta admit that this feels way more different than any other MCU movies and yeah, I did say the same thing to Iron Man but this movie is something else. This is probably the most depressing and moody MCU movie to date and other than a few funny scenes, this movie is really serious, dark and sad. Kind of your monster horror movie and to me, that's how a Hulk movie should be like and I don't know if this overall moody tone would be included If they made this movie couple of years later. Nevertheless, It's interesting that this is the only Hulk movie that got somewhat a positive reaction from the fans and it's the most forgotten MCU movie. I gotta say that this movie was also better on the second viewing but I can totally see why this is kind of forgotten. Mark Ruffalo has been such a terrific actor to play Bruce and Edward Norton didn't have much chance to shine much in this weird CGI fest. Nevertheless, he was a decent Bruce Banner.

This movie started with a pretty cool title sequence that quickly explains what happened to Bruce Banner. Ross was experimenting on Bruce. It failed badly and he got turned into Hulk. He accidentally injured his girlfriend Betty Ross who never got mentioned in other MCU films and we sadly got Bruce paired up with Natasha and it was a huge mistake. Then Ross kicks him out from Betty's hospital room without even trying to capture him before he attacks some houses and then moves into another country? That was odd. We later saw him living in Brazil and trying to control his temper. He started to work in a bottling factory, he accidentally got his blood hit one of the bottles, Stan Lee drank that bottle, Ross noticed that, he sent his military people to hunt down Bruce and I think that was the only time Stan Lee actually moved a movie plot forward lmao. Bruce got noticed by the military, lost control and managed to escape from them. Man, the chase sequence was so thrilling and exciting. Gotta love that they used a classic monster trope of not showing the monster in the full form, instead they made us see people getting attacked. The music was amazing, okay, the music was INCREDIBLE (obvious pun) in the movie. Ross explained what happened to Bruce to a sokldier named Blonsky and he quickly turned him into a super soldier without considering how damange he could create and oh boy, he did. Bruce woke up and couple of minutes later in the movie, he saw that Betty got a new boyfriend ot just a male friend? At least that didn't piss him off. Bruce went to a pizza shop and later on, he disguised as a pizza delivery to to enter military files to see datas of the experiment, so he can show it to Mr. Blue who can help him healed. Bruce found out the files were gone but then he came across to Betty and he escaped from her. Walking in the raining scene started and then THE FEELS, you know what I'm taking about. God, I felt so bad for him in the scene. He was turned into a monster, people wanted to hunt him down and he didn't want to hurt Betty.

I'm not too crazy about Bruce as a character but he's one of the most tragic comic book chracters ever and the movie played that part so well. If you are a big Hulk fan, you'll definitely love how themes of Hulk were portrayed here. Of course that didn't stop Betty, she found Bruce and she told Bruce that she took the files. Suddenly they found Bruce's location and they attacked him a second and we saw Hulk in the full form. And yeah, the CGI on Hulk was okay but honestly, it was a bit let down compared to how Iron Man looked amazing in CGI. This was a pure fun action scene though. I kept rooting for Hulk to smash these military losers but then Blonsky got cocky and got too close to Hulk, that led to him getting hurt but he made it out alive. Idiot boy. Betty got in the middle of the fight and Hulk managed to protect Betty and escaped with her. We later found out that Betty's (ex?)boyfriend or friend was the one that called Ross about Hulk but here was what I liked. Usually third wheel boyfriends of our hero's crush gets jealous of the hero but It was good to see him actually seeing what kind of a hero Hulk is and what kind of a monster Ross is. Betty knew it and she felt disappointed him him over the years. And couple of hours later, we wouldn't have a nice moment with Hulk and Betty without rain. Seriously, rain is the overall thing with Hulk but that was also kewllll. sorry If this is not a professional review. Bruce was back to being him and later we saw Bruce and Betty trying to have sex. Umm, Betty, what about that boi that you were seeing him? Is he still your boyfriend or are you just friends with him?
tongue.png
Sadly Bruce can't have sex because that made him too excited to become Hulk. Oh come on, Hulk, sex is all about excitement, Hulk would be very kinky. Okay, that got too immature, thanks MCU.

Bruce and Betty met Mr. Blue and Mr. Blue temporarily healed Bruce. Bruce found out that Mr. Blue has been using his bloods to cexpreiment on them. Looks like we have another curious dude that will cause more harm. Humanity will never learn from its mistakes. And knowing Ross, he just couldn't give Bruce a break. He managed to capture him, Blonskey showed up an he threatened Mr. Blue to turn him into another Hulk. Okay, Blonskey just calm down, you are addicted with power. Yeah, after this, the movie lost its momentum for me. I really liked how they went with making Hulk alienated from his normal life and I wish Ross would be the end game for Bruce like he was Red Hulk in the comics. It would have been much more compelling If Ross turned himself into Red Hulk to stop Hulk from being to dangerous but later him losing control of Red Hulk in him. Instead it was Abomination and he sucked. I didn't care much for what the heck was his deal? What I got from him is that he was 39 and he looked older, he took super soldier serum to feel more powerful, that was about it? Not the mention his design was bad. Hulk didn't look half-bad but Abomination was kind of laughable. Bruce saw Abomination attacking people to fight with Hulk. So he jumped and hit the ground and that totally wasn't used as a comedy in Thor: Ragnarok. Don't worry lads, he was fine, he was turned into Hulk and he fought wth him in a quality CGI festival. Can't compalin too much because the climax was fun but still, CGI was weak. Hulk stopped Abomination and almost killed him before Betty told him not to. He escaped and Tony arrived that he's collecting powerful people. The movie ended and why the heck Ross wasn't arrested for his crimes? Explain it to me, movie.

Well, that was The Incredible Hulk for ya. Rewatching it again, I surprisingly found more positives to be found here than negatives, even though the story and the special effects could have been improved. I loved that this was a serious horror/thriller wanna be movie with gorgeous music and engaging character origin. It does make me sad that this movie wasn't that impactful in other MCU movies because some seriousness could been a benefit for couple of movies that suffered from too much humor and this movie didn't feel matter much like no mention of Betty or what happened to Abomination afterwards or why did Ross get away from his crimes? I don't know why Edward Norton walked away from this universe forever because of this movie but honestly I still prefer Mark Ruffalo and you don't really this movie to understand Hulk in the later movies. If you still insist to watch this, fine by me. This was a decent serious Hulk movie but I wish it could have been so much more than being forgotten by people.

MCU movie ranking:

Iron Man - A

The Incredible Hulk - B

get ready for Iron Man 2 tomorrow to see If that movie is still the worst MCU movie to date or was I wrong?

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I honestly don't think Iron Man 2 is the worst. I think Hulk, Thor, Cap 1, Iron Man 3, Thor 2, and Age of Ultron are worse tbh.

oh boy, this movie. The movie was some people considers this to be their least favorite MCU work and very inferior to the first movie and I gotta say, they are still right.
MV5BMTM0MDgwNjMyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTg3NzAzMw@@._V1_QL50_.jpg

Airdate: May 7, 2010

Directed by Jon Favreau

One great thing about this episode was that at the very least how it set up future movies was quite well done. I really enjoyed Scarlett Johanson's introduction as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow, Nick Fury was involved more in this movie and S.H.I.E.L.D.'s backstory was kind of explained here. Not enough Daddy Coulson here tho.
sad.png
If it weren't for those aspects, this movie wouldn't have been meant much.
Interesting to see that this movie started off with the main bad guy of this movie, Whiplash and man, he could have been so much more and I'll get to that soon. His introduction was solid enough. Unlike Stane in the first movie, he was fleshed out a bit as the villain of the story and I got interested in him from the beginning. His father died and he's gonna make Tony pay for this because of what Tony's father did to him. That's actually a good set up for a compelling villain but sadly, it all went downhill after his good introduction. We jumped into 6 months and Tony became more famous than ever with him revealing he's Iron Man. He went to Stark Expo to introduce himself to the whole work and be narcisistic like Natasha thought of him. After Tony gave his presentation, he looked at his blood and it semed he's being poisoned from his power source. Meanwhile he was dealing with the goverment because Tony refused to work with them or share his technology. That is actually an interesting idea to tackle for this movie Tony's slowly dying and he gotta make sure the future is in the right hands. After Iron Man 1, it was hard for him to trust the goverment again. Sadly they didn't raise the stakes for Tony's actual fallout enough and the movie didn't end up being impactful. Don't get me wrong, there were some good character development for Tony and Robert Downey Jr. still rocks as Tony. Unfortunately, I couldn't care less about the whole exceution of the plot.

Tony quickly promoted Pepper as the head of Stark Industries and Pepper had no clue Tony was dying, Natasha was hired, despite Tony not knowing much about him, he kind of pissed off his rival Justin Hammer and so on. He joined a race and Whiplashed showed up in the race to beat Tony's butt. When I first saw Whiplash in action, I saw that he looked really bad*ss and he did so much damage. He was kind of menacing during that scene and that was probably the only time he looked like that in the whole bloody movie. Luckily Tony stopped him and Whiplash got arrested. Of course Justin Hammer noticed that and he made an escape plan for Whiplash to make him more suits to compete with Tony. Anddddddddddd that's when this movie lost any interest for me. That worst part was I shouldn't have. It's always interesting to see the movies exploring the bad guys and this movie had enough screentime to show us both Justin Hammer and Whiplash. That should have been enough to flesh both of them out. Unfortunately, all of their scenes were so boring to watch. It was all Whiplash desperately wanting his bird and Justin Hammer being pissed off to Whiplashing toring his work apart. A movie is as great as its villain and this movie failed to develop both of the vilains. This is upsetting because despite his character being kind of one note, Stane was a scary villain and he had less screentime than Hammer and Whiplash. Why we couldn't get a sympathetic reason for Whiplash's dad's story or Justin Hammer's competition with Tony? Instead we dealt with one bird obsessed man and a hothead business man. The actors were pretty good but the characters were bland. Onto what Tony was up to.

Without a care in the world, Tony started his birthday party and got too drunk to endanger people. And there's another idea was tossed away. This movie has great ideas to actually surpass the first movie but it chosed to ignore them. I dont even know why. Tony being alcoholic is an important part of his character and this was a great opputunity to build that up. He had a father who was distant from him due to his other work, he suffered in the hands of the teorrirsts, he lost the man that saved his life, his friend Stane backstabbed him and in this movie, he was dealing witht he fact that he was gonna die from poisoning. It could have been interesting to see Tony hitting rock bottom with alcohol and the movie exploring that, along with his upcoming death. But nope, they ignored that with some unfunny piss jokes. Rhodey (with an all new all different actor) came to stop him. Okay, I liked Rhodey here. He's a soldier and a good friend of Tony but he knew that Tony was hurting himself and others, he didn't believe that Tony was worthy of Iron Man suit. So he took one of his to fight with him and that was actually a good fighting scene, there was actual tension between them. Tony let down Rhodey and that argument as good. He even managed to alienate Pepper from him because of his recklessness. At the very least, the movie didn't completely forget Tony hurted both of them, even though it could have been nicer to see Tony feeling like a huge crap before he apologized to them. Tony was noticed by the bloody Nick Fury and man, I loved Nick Fury in this movie. He was pretty entertaining and sarcastic. Tony also found out Natasha was actually a spy on him. They all went to Tony's house and Tony found out his father was one of the founding members of S.H.I.E.L.D. and he actually deported Whiplash's father because of him wanting to make profit from this. That part was actually a let down. So even though what Tony's father did wasn't right, Whiplash's father didn't turn out to be a misguided person or something sympathetic like that. And there was an actual possibility that he gave his son hiplash a hard time. I wish we could have actually seen more of Tony's father not turning out to be a great visionary like people thought he was. Even when he wasn't right for deporting Whiplash's father, it was understandable why he had to do it. So that was it for the holy big bad of this movie. Talk about bummer. And it was even more bummer that Tony's dying problem was solved so anticlimactically. Not gonna lie, Tony's father's message to Tony was sweet but that was the only praise I can give it to Tony's arc. Tony discovered a new element to generate his arc corter thanks to his dead father's hidden puzzle and that was it? It would have been a bigger deal to see him slowly dying from fighting Whiplash and then seeing Tony recover from poisoning after defeating him. But the movie didn't care much about raising the stakes.

Justin Hammer got to see one of Iron Man's suits thanks to Rhodey and he offered Rhodey to add weapons to the suit. Then we saw Hammer showing his new autopilot suit machines with Rhodey as War Machine controling them. But Whiplash managed to take control of the suits without dealing with Hammer's bodyguards and he tried to attack people and Tony after he showed up. The whole climax scene was fun, especially with the whole fighting scene with Natasha, Happy and the bodyguards but at the same time, the climax felt weak and not satisfying since the movie didn't build up anty personal stakes to the climax. Natasha managed to give Rhodey the control of ar machine back, Tony and Rhodey fought with Whiplash and won. Whiplash planed bombs to all of the suits, Whiplash died I think and Tony arrived just in time to save Pepper before one of them blew up. They argued about Tony not telling her his death but nevertheless, they kissed. Hammer got arrested and I believe nobody in the audience cared for it. Tony showed up to S.H.I.E.L.D. H.Q. Natasha reviewed Tony poorly but nevertheless Tony won't stop fighting. Tony and Rhodey got medals. Post credit scene had Thor's hammer. That's it with Iron Man 2 folks.

Man, this movie was a big let down. All the ingridients were there to make this movie even better than the first movie and the movie chosed to ignore all of it for what exactly? Some immature jokes, bird talk and Tony being a bigger jerk than usual with barely any karma for it? The movie did have some enjoyable action and cute moments and I did laugh a few times but the storyline felt empty and unsatisfying. I don't exactly know what went wrong with Favreau after directing such a terrific origin story for Iron Man. A sequel should have surpassed the first movie but this movie did the exact opposite, despite all the potential it had. Luckily, this movie didn't stop MCU. It just ended up being kind of a mediocre MCU movie.

MCU movie ranking:

Iron Man - A
The Incredible Hulk - B
Iron Man 2 - C+

Tomorrow: God of Unworthy

sorry for the delay of this review, I was too tired yesterday that I didn't have energy to write the review. Now I can finally write the review of

MV5BOGE4NzU1YTAtNzA3Mi00ZTA2LTg2YmYtMDJmMThiMjlkYjg2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTgzMDMzMTg@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

Airdate: May 6, 2011

Directed by Kenneth Branagh

Aside from Iron Man 2, the MCU movies that are considered weakest are the first two Thor movies and honestly, I found some enjoyment in those two movies when I saw then at first. Perhaps Thor: The Dark World was too generic of a superhero movie, so I can understand criticism of that movie but for the first Thor movie even after rewatch, I remembered why I really liked this movie.

this movie starts off with Odin telling kid Thor and Loki the story of Asgardians battling against Frost Giants and taking away their power supply The Casket, so they could never rule The Nine Realms. Kid Thor wanted to be king of Asgard, so he can fight with them and he was excited to be the king, Loki joined the hype train because Thor did too and that sort of sets up the whole relationship between Thor and Loki. Going back to present, Thor was almost ready to be the king but it seemed someone in Asgard allowed couple of Frost Giants to get The Casket. Too bad for them, The Destroyer showed up and destroyed their sad existence. Thor was pissed off that they tried to get back The Casket, his father told him to let go of this because that'd create a bigger danger for Asgardians but Thor didn't listen him and he took his greatest warriors and Loki to battle against Forst Giants. This set up Thor's character perfectly well. His whole ideology was that he could defeat any simple threat with a war and he was too impatient and stubborn to see the consequences of his actions. Honestly, despite the fact that Odin was right that battling against them would create a bigger danger, I can see Thor's point of view that they did attack their kingdom, so they started the whole mess. Thor and his friends went to Frost Giants' planet Jotunhiem to talk to them but they insulted Thor, so Thor kicked their butt. The action scenes in Jotunhiem looked incredible. I was on edge of my seat and it kept me invested that Thor was caausing so much problem. During the battle, one of Frost Giants tried to freeze Loki's arm but it didn't effect him and he was shocled that he didn't get injured from that. After couple of exciting action scenes, Thor did not make the situation better and Odin arrived just in time to put a stop to this whole mess. Frost Giants refused to accept the peace offering because Odin was a murderer, strangely enough this was never explored in the movie, only in Thor: Ragnarok. Idk if I should consider this as a flaw because this did benefit Thor: Ragnarok but it's just a minor flaw, so I suppose I can let it slide. Odin was disappointed in Thor and Thor managed to piss off Odin with him being disrespectful to him. Odin exiled Thor, took away his powers and he threw his hammer on Earth, so anyone worthy enough can take the hammer.

Thor crushed in Earth and came across to Jane Foster who is astrophycisist, Darcy who is her best friend and Erik Selvig who took care of Jane after her father died. A lot of people said this movie lost its touch after Thor was stuck on Earth and honestly I wasn't that bothered by it. Sure it would be more cool to see more of Marvel's cosmic side but Thor needed to go to Earth, how else you can make an Avengers movie without him arriving to Earth first? Also this is his development in the entire movie, so it's important for him to visit Earth. I can see some comic book fans having a problem with how Thor is portrayed in the movie because comic Thor isnt some reckless idiot from what I've heard. He's more of a God trying to understand what it means to be one and his exploration of humanity. While him being God isn't the focus of the movie him discovering humanity is included in the movie and I gotta get praise for the movie to tackle that. I liked that the humor came from Thor not understanding how Earth works, so him throwing the mug on the floor and him arriving to the pet store to get a horse was really hilarious. We also got some glimpse of Thor and Jane Foster having a romance all because Jane saw Thor's abs and honestly who wouldn't be fascinated by his gorgeous abs, yes homo. Loki discovered that he was actually part Frost Giant, part Asgardian and he was picked up by Odin, so Odin can use Loki to offer a peace between Asgardians and Frost Giants. Loki was angry about all of this, all of a sudden Odin went to his Odin sleep, oh okay... Loki easily became the king of Asgard and his friends didn't like how it happened all of a sudden. Thoe's hammer crashed into Earth as well, it was noticed by S.H.I.E.L.D. and Thor wanted to get it back from them. He threw a fight with them (this was also the introduction of Hawkeye but he didn't get to do much in the movie, so his appearence was all for nothing and that sucked) but he noticed he couldn't lift the hammer and he got upset by that, S.H.I.E.L.D. arrested him, Loki secretly arrived to tell him his father was dead and later on Erik took away Thor from S.H.I.E.L.D. Thor felt broken that he was no wrothy anymore and you could actually see his pain here. He was believed he was destined to be a great warrior and a king and after all of that was taken from him, he had no idea what to do anymore. I like seeing superheroes having identity crisises and this movie did a good job portaying that. It's also note worthy that Chris Hemsworth plays a great Thor. Maybe a different Thor from the comics but he acted like a god and a stubborn prince throughout the movie and I don't see anyone else playing Thor as amazing as him.

We went back to Thor and Erik sharing drinks, as a result Erik got drunk and he and Jane left him in the van and talked to each other. This was actually my favorite part in the whole movie and perhaps one of the strongest scenes in MCU movies, I'm not even joking. The scene explored not only Thor and Jane Foster's dynamic, this gave us more depth into Thor and Jane's characters, as well as cosmic side of Marvel. The whole scene felt sweet and genuine and it made Thor care more about humanity. Thor's friends went to Earth to find Thor and they luckily found them. We also got a reveal of Loki being the one that allowed secret gateaways to Frost Giants because he did not trust Thor as a king, he always felt jealous of Thor being noticed more and after the reveal of him being a hybrid, he couldn't take any secrets anymore. Ironic coming from a guy who lies to people but this was a great depth in Loki becoming the villain of the story and it was weird that he was the first MCU villain to get an actual depth and that came in one of the most forgotten and underrated MCU movies. It also helped that Tom Hidderson played a cunning and manipulative Loki well. Loki noticed that Thor's friends betrayed him as well as Heimdall taking them to Earth, so he sent The Destroyer to destroy Thor and his friends. Thor's friends found Thor but the danger arrived and Thor's friends were unable to stop him. Thor got a good character development by sacrifising himself to Loki, so he can't hamr any more lives again. Loki almost killed him and then Thor got worthy again. He got his hammer back and he stopped The Destroyer and arrived to Asgard to stop Loki. The whole climax was build up well and the stakes actually felt personal. Loki and Thor not only fight, they talk about their relationship and how Loki felt no longer brother to Thor but he once wanted to be equal to him. You could see Loki and Thor's pain from fighting but Loki was still the bad guy, so Thor knew what to do to stop Loki. He broke the bridge between Asgard and the other realms. Odin woke up to save Thor and Loki from the destruction of the bridge but Loki threw himself into the worm hole. Thor and Odin talked a while and Odin said he was finally proud of Thor but Thor was upset that he could never see Jane again but we all knew that he'd go back to Earth again for Avengers, so... This movie ended with a post credit scene of Erik meeting Nick Fury and Fury showed Tesseract to him, thus setting up the bigger picture of MCU but then Loki showed up and gained control of Erik.

I really like this movie more than most seemed to do. I can understand why many had troubles with caring for a God named Thor and some scenes being on Earth but I found myself invested in Fish out of Water (or as I would like to call it, God out of Clouds) story and Thor finding humanity in himself. I loved Jane, Erik, Loki and Odin so much, the action scenes felt fun, the visuals were stunning and I liked how this movie felt like an epic tale at times. I noticed that camera angles were turned a few degrees down and I don't exactly know If this was intentional to the story or it was the director's style and perhaps I gave this movie a bit more credit but that could mean that living among Gods and aliens is such a bizzare and unbelieveable thing, so the whole world kind of turned upside down. Erik even talked about how childish and unbelieveable the situation is but as the movie progesses he believes more in these weird situations. I actually don't have much complaint to this whole movie. Darcy wasn't even annoying and Eaerth scenes didn't feel out of place. I could see the complaint of Frost Giants being kind of generic villains but Loki as the big bad, so I wasn't bothered by it. I can't find myself giving this movie a high score however because while it was an interesting movie, It didn't exactly blow me away or it wasn't that compelling. But I still find myself caring for what happened in the movie.

MCU movie ranking:

Iron Man - A
Thor - B+
The Incredible Hulk - B
Iron Man 2 - C+

Back