Blue's Clues is getting rebooted.

mythix super saiyan 4

the only good parts of sbm are the skins and tradi
And the show will have 30 seconds to 60 seconds shorter to accommodate advertising and network promos
seriously nick why are you cutting it back for like what an extra commercial

this show better not be cgi

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
I mean, I don't approve of Nick's seemingly addictive desire to rehash things at this point, although for them to be rebooting Blue's Clues gives me faith that they at least remember that their legacy isn't limited to just SpongeBob and 90's cartoons.

I've never seen Blue's Clues, truth be told, but frankly, I still think this reboot could help bring Blue to kids of the 2010's.

Also, I know CGI is taking over and I'm not 100% on board, but that image of Blue in the article is kinda adorable. I'm guessing the show is CGI and that's the kinda style they're going with? I've nary any problems with that; looks fine to me.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Nickelodeon, please stop with the reboots. Come up with something new, original, and GOOD. We don't need you recycling your really old projects just to appeal and pander to nostalgia. That goes for all of your shows, even the ones for younger audiences. And no, bringing back old shows does not mean that the channel is entering a renaissance.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
If it's CGI, wouldn't it be cool to have Burns return to reprise Steve (He wouldn't have to physically host the show, which would take a huge weight off his shoulders).

MrColeslaw

Balloon Traveler
Someone call a conductor, because I'm an emotional trainwreck. Between this, and High School Musical 4, this year should be a ton of "fun" for me.

I... don't know how to feel about this. In my eyes, Steve was what made the show so memorabable and fun to begin with. I could go on for ages why I wasn't a fan of Joe. Without Steve, I really don't know if there's even a show. I absolutely adore Blue's Clues, even today - Steve was a childhood idol of mine - and I'm not sure if I'm ready to see it tinkered with. As a dedicated Blue's Clues fan, I'll give it a go, but I don't expect anything for me.

I don't mind the cg, Blue actually looks faithful to the original and cute

Amphitrite said:
Nickelodeon, please stop with the reboots. Come up with something new and original. We don't need you recycling your really old projects just to appeal and pander to nostalgia. That goes for all of your shows, even the ones for younger audiences. And no, bringing back old shows does not mean that the channel is entering a renaissance.
I've yet to enjoy a single "original" project that Nick has offered in quite a few years - truth be told, I'd rather have fun reboots than boring original projects. It almost seems as though they're incapable of "new and original".. SpongeBob being on for 19 years is just as bad, honestly. We really have no reason to be complaining, yet - Nick has proven they can make reboots that are faithful to the source, while making it accessible to new viewers.

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
MrColeslaw said:
Someone call a conductor, because I'm an emotional trainwreck. Between this, and High School Musical 4, this year should be a ton of "fun" for me.

I... don't know how to feel about this. In my eyes, Steve was what made the show so memorabable and fun to begin with. I could go on for ages why I wasn't a fan of Joe. Without Steve, I really don't know if there's even a show. I absolutely adore Blue's Clues, even today - Steve was a childhood idol of mine - and I'm not sure if I'm ready to see it tinkered with. As a dedicated Blue's Clues fan, I'll give it a go, but I don't expect anything for me.

I don't mind the cg, Blue actually looks faithful to the original and cute

I've yet to enjoy a single "original" project that Nick has offered in quite a few years - truth be told, I'd rather have fun reboots than boring original projects. It almost seems as though they're incapable of "new and original".. SpongeBob being on for 19 years is just as bad, honestly. We really have no reason to be complaining, yet - Nick has proven they can make reboots that are faithful to the source, while making it accessible to new viewers.
I disagree. I feel there's a lot of people who have potential talents but are forced to have a job working on revivals. Nick just chooses the most generic and typical-buddy comedy shows (Breadwinners, Sanjay & Craig, the new one coming next year called Pony, which is another buddy-comedy), hence why I don't enjoy much original Nick content. I feel a lot of companies cash in on nostalgia way too constantly, with mediocre results (I feel The Jungle Movie was mediocre and CN's Samurai Jack was awful with the forced Jack/Ashi crap and felt very rushed on it's last episode). I think a lot of problems with original shows (like CN shows) is that the ones that get greenlit seem to copy the exact same artstyle from the show the person worked on. Does anyone have their own artstyle anymore??

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Okay, now that this information has really soaked in, it's time for some honest thoughts on this show. Growing up, I absolutely loved Blue's Clues. It was a staple of my early childhood. The part of the original Blues Clues special wasn't just the atmosphere, the animation, or even the game of Blue's Clues itself. It was the host that really connected me with this show. What Blue's Clues had that other Nick Jr. shows didn't have when it comes to that core audience connection was a human host. With a real human interacting with the audience, the interaction felt more sincere and genuine, than say an animated character like Dora talking to the screen a good chunk of the time. Whether it was Steve or Joe, I always felt the hosts were the highlight of the program for me. We all know what made Steve special, he just had a special click with the audience, and his overall child-like curiosity kind of resonates with the demographics the show was aimed for. He wasn't a character, he felt like someone who was your best friend, you know? Now, I like Joe. In fact, growing up, I honestly preferred the Joe episodes over the Steve ones surprisingly. Probably because I have a more energetic personality, the over calm and mostly laid-back atmosphere of the Steve episodes, while yes charming, weren't as fun to watch as the Joe episodes. Joe isn't really much like Steve. He feels more like a television personality, an actual host, will you. His personality his chipper, he's got a "Go-to" attitude, he feels like a much more lively character than Steve, whereas Steve was down-to-earth and felt more genuine than Joe (Which is where the connection between the host and the audience really differentiates).

The problem with the Blue's Clues franchise, particularly in it's later years around the mid 2000's, was that it shed less light on the host, who was actually the most important part of the show, and focused almost entirely on Blue and the other side characters in media outside of the show. Books, games, that atrocious spin-off I'll get to in a second, I noticed that the host always seemed to play second banana to the other characters. And it kind of makes sense why, the host really exists to connect the audience to the universe of Blue's Clues, therefore his main purpose is to generally talk to the audience, while spin-off material (Books, games, etc.) don't have a need for the host, and centers more on the other characters. Then came in that awful Elmo's World ripoff, Blue's Room, which essentially ditched everything that made Blue's Clues special in the first place, now being your run-of-the-mill little kid puppet show, rather than that unique click that Blue's Clues originally had.

I'm not really concerned about this reboot, in fact Nick Jr seems to be out of that dark age from the mid-late 2000's, where it struggled to find a new hit. With shows like Paw Patrol, and so forth forming a new generation of content on the network/block, Nick Jr. has found itself a whole new audience with completely different shows from that over 20 years ago.

People are mostly concerned about the animation, and yes I too am fairly concerned about how it'll work in this universe, given how flat the environment was in the original series. What I'm MORE concerned about is who the host will be. The host is arguably the most important part of Blue's Clues. If they can't get it right, or chose to have an entirely CG show with an animated host, then they're definitely going to be in trouble, the show won't be anything near as special as the original series, and will fall in with other generic, modern little kid shows.

MrColeslaw

Balloon Traveler
very long, logical post

You, sir, have absolutely nailed it.

As a kid, I personally didn't enjoy Joe - as an adult, I feel a similar way. I didn't even know why then, but it clicked this morning, when revisiting some of Steve's adventures.

I don't wanna repost the same as McSponge, but Steve truly was like a friend; sure, a friend from inside the TV, but there was a level of sincerity to his words that was simply lost in transition to a new host. As a child with few friends, those attributes were what dragged me back to the show. He played the role of a host perfectly; he was simple, but effective.

When thinking of Steve, I'm always reminded of the TV film (Blue's Big Musical Movie) - Steve spends large portions of the film trying to find a clue on his own, and when he's down on his luck, all his friends give him that small push to continue onward. And, you know what? He found that darn clue. Which, on it's own, proved two things.

- If you push for your aspirations, you can reach them. It may not be easy, but it's possible.
"If you don't give up, you know it's true, you can do anything that you wanna do" - from the final song in the film
- Steve had flaws, just like we did.
- He also felt discouragement, again, just like us.

He was a part of most kids, and that's why I loved him so much. Joe simply felt like some sort of celebrity host - all sincerity and three dimensionality being stripped from him. I can't say he fares any better in re-viewing the show at an adult age.

The people behind "Blue's Clues" wanted to make a difference in the world.. a model to live by, in my eyes. And, for me, they did. When interacting with kids, I often find myself channeling my inner Steve. The show was largely about educating and empowering children, and it did both wonderfully.

I still stand by the idea of there being no show without Steve (who needs hair, anyway), or at the very least, someone like him. I sincerely hope they find someone to give that vibe once more; a vibe that Joe completely missed.

One thing I will say, is that the host will not be animated.. on the casting call for a host, juggling is listed as a preferred skill - there'd be no reason for that, were animation involved.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDBPeuXpZps

A little input from Steve Burns himself on John Cena's recent (Most likely joke) audition as the role of the host of the reboot.

john-cena-blues-clues-content-2018.jpg

While it's obvious Steve is joking about calling Cena out, I do spy a bit of possible interest Steve may have with returning to the show. If Steve actually is interested in returning, that could honestly save the reboot. And yes this is from TMZ, a terrible organization, but the video itself is of just Burns talking, with no one else in it. Could this be a clue? :sbfunny:

DJ Sagara

Bomb-Selling Pirate
As per the audition video on YouTube, the co creators of the original show (Angela Santomero, Traci Paige Johnson) are returning for the reboot, which gives me a LOT more hope for this than I had for The Powerpuff Girls.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Well, I'm...apprehensive at this point. I mean I haven't seen any/many good reboots right now. Also, I really hope this isn't cgi, it just wouldn't be right.

Back