DMAN attempts to talk about every single CN original in existence

dmandaboi

I love SBM
I've made quite a few topics on CN originals before, but this one will probably be the most extensive of all of them. I was originally going to use the word "review" in the title, but I really suck at reviewing, so we're just gonna say that I'm going to "talk about" every single one of these cartoons. And boy, a LOT of them have aired over the years (fifty-four as of 2017!).

EDIT: I didn't mention this earlier, but I'm going to revie- I mean talk about each of the programs based entirely on their first episode (and some personal experience if I have some). If I'm interested in the show, I might go more in-depth. But if not, that's an indicator that I don't think it has a chance to get better from where it is. I'll also put a show list at the end of this post, and as I get talk-abouts done for each one I'll make a link to the date of the corresponding talk-about.

However, I'm not gonna review these cartoons in any specific order. It'll be completely random thanks to SBM's resident decision maker, WHEEL DECIDE!

1z4furm.jpg

...help me.

Stay tuned for kite man's first review talk-about.

Show List:
  1. The Moxy Show
  2. Space Ghost Coast to Coast
  3. What a Cartoon!
  4. Dexter's Laboratory
  5. Johnny Bravo [covered on 1/24/18]
  6. Cow and Chicken [covered on 2/7/18]
  7. I Am Weasel
  8. The Powerpuff Girls (1998)
  9. Ed, Edd n Eddy
  10. Mike, Lu & Og
  11. Courage the Cowardly Dog
  12. Sheep in the Big City
  13. Time Squad
  14. Samurai Jack
  15. Grim & Evil
  16. Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones? [covered on 2/22/18]
  17. Codename: Kids Next Door
  18. The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
  19. Evil Con Carne
  20. Star Wars: Clone Wars
  21. Megas XLR
  22. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
  23. Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi
  24. The Life and Times of Juniper Lee [covered on 2/5/18]
  25. Camp Lazlo
  26. Sunday Pants
  27. My Gym Partner's a Monkey
  28. Ben 10 (2005) [covered on 1/31/18]
  29. Squirrel Boy
  30. Class of 3000
  31. Chowder
  32. Transformers: Animated
  33. Ben 10: Alien Force [covered on 2/3/18]
  34. The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack
  35. The Secret Saturdays
  36. Adventure Time
  37. Ben 10: Ultimate Alien
  38. Generator Rex
  39. Regular Show
  40. Sym-Bionic Titan
  41. Robotomy
  42. The Problem Solverz
  43. The Amazing World of Gumball [covered on 1/23/18]
  44. Secret Mountain Fort Awesome
  45. Ben 10: Omniverse
  46. Uncle Grandpa
  47. Steven Universe
  48. Mixels
  49. Clarence [covered on 1/29/18]
  50. We Bare Bears [covered on 1/25/18]
  51. The Powerpuff Girls (2016)
  52. Mighty Magiswords [covered on 2/20/18]
  53. Ben 10 (2016) [covered on 1/22/18]
  54. OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Oh, this is going to be great

https://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=wSka9%2BnGdK68Ek4vJZgtr%2BI5jiIzw9EbP%2FeYoAtTV64%3D

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
I liked Ben 10 as a kid, and I think the first two seasons of alien force were okay, but I never got invested in anything after that, and I should probably be thankful.

Tais

Banished
Wintermelon43 said:
It's amazing how you can describe every CN show in one word:

Garbage
My Namo Winter The Melones and I say CN GARBADGGG BECAUSE CN TOUCHED ME AS A CHILDREN

dmandaboi

I love SBM
Last time on "KM attempts to talk about every CN original in existence", Dman thought it would be a good idea to use Wheel Decide to pick out his first cartoon to talk about. Unfortunately, the first picked choice might possibly be his last...

lol jk

*sigh* It's time. Let's get started on this lengthy journey.

#53: Ben 10 (2016) "The Filth"
[April 10, 2017] <---in the USA

29eckh.png

As you can probably tell, going into this show my expectations weren't very high. After witnessing PPG 2016's premiere live (that's for another day), I was afraid of what was going to appear on my television screen. To make a long story short, my fears were moderately justified.

I mean, the episode wasn't TERRIBLE, but it wasn't too great either. Here's the basic plot: After Ben fails to do his chores, he must get them done to get his wifi usage back. He starts with cleaning their local vehicle, which sets off the entire episode. You see, Ben is such a lazy asshole that his room is cluttered with junk and smells like toxic waste. And the toxic waste is exactly what Maurice, the half-human half-cockroach thing needs to power a magnet that attracts maggots into a giant monster, made to destroy Las Vegas for its money.

...yeah. That's pretty far-fetched; so much so in fact the episode even makes a joke about it later on. Anyways, Ben does pretty much all he can to stop the RV from getting into his (and his bulky henchan's) hands in a Road Runner-esque scene, but it doesn't really work well (they use the same "pause right before the ________ would've hit them" joke TWICE). And after that, nothing interesting happens, spare a fight scene that only takes a few punches to be over with.

Overall, I wasn't really all that impressed with the episode. It seemed more focused on comedy than anything, but I can somewhat respect it for being its own thing (in a TTG kind of way, as I never really watched the source material for either).

THE BOTTOM LINE: This show is mediocre, and definitely nothing all that special.
Final rating: 5/10

Well, that's over with. Wheel Decide, can you give me a better show to talk about now?

2uyno5y.png

That'll do for now.

Stay tuned for kite man's next talk-about.

dmandaboi

I love SBM
Last time on "KM attempts to talk about every CN original in existence", Dman talked about a lackluster episode of the 2016 Ben 10 reboot. Will today's random cartoon episode be any better?

#43: The Amazing World of Gumball "The DVD"
[May 3, 2011]

qq30wj.png

Now, TAWoG is definitely something different than Ben 10 2016 to me, mostly because it was one of the many CN shows I was very invested in. I'll mention more of those shows as we proceed along in this thread, but for now it's just this one on the chopping block.

Let me say first off that watching a season 1 episode of Gumball feels weird once you've seen a bunch of the recent ones. The animation style is noticeably different (the characters' mouths move a lot faster for one), the episodes are a lot more basic than the later ones, etc. and so on and so forth. There's just a lot of initial differences to point out. Let's see if the first episode still holds up with all of this.

In this episode, Gumball has to return a DVD to his local Blockbu- I mean Laser Video or face the consequences of their mother's wrath. Right at the start however, his adopted brother Darwin uses the disc to cut a pizza, which Gumball scratches with the green side of the sponge, which causes him to scream and accidentally throw the disc into the waste disposal. Then, a bunch of stuff happens. They try to return a fake cardboard disc, they go on the street to get money for the fine, they make their own version of the movie, etc. and so on and so forth. In the end, their mother forgives them, pays for the DVD, and runs because there's a $700 lateness fee.

Time to say it now: the jokes in this episode hit all their marks. I especially enjoyed the beat-box sequence with the residential hobo, the entirety of the makeup scene (especially the well-timed cut at the end), Darwin's overly long foreign speech that translates to "no", and the movie Gumball and Darwin made. It's just really great.

So does the episode still hold up 7 years later? In my opinion, yeah, it does. The jokes are great, the story is decently paced, and there's a lot to enjoy here.

THE BOTTOM LINE: I suggest you give this a watch. If you like it, keep going. The show gets better from there.
Final Rating: 8.5/10

Alright, what's our next lucky CN original to be tackled?

29c0413.png

Come on down, you're the next contestant on "KM attempts to talk about every CN original in existence"!

dmandaboi

I love SBM
Last time on "KM attempts to talk about every CN original in existence", Dman talked about an episode of TAWoG that was pretty good for its first. Will the next cartoon's episode be just as much so?

#05: Johnny Bravo "Super Duped"
[July 14, 1997]

9pv0xz.png

Well, it's time to talk about one of the 11 CN originals: Johnny Bravo. I vaguely remember this show as a child, if at all. The only time I've ever remembered watching episodes on TV was on Boomerang from 2013 to 2014. Nevertheless, let's get to talking about the episode.

The episode begins with Johnny B. on the way to the store to get some stuff for his mother he still lives with, until he is interrupted by Susie, a schoolgirl who wants to bring him in for show-and-tell. Johnny isn't interested at first, but he IS "interested" in the girl's teacher (that's pretty much a major character trait BTW). So when Susie goes too far and tells the entire class that he's a superhero named "Bravo-Man" and the local bank immediately gets robbed by a candy-powered supervillain (named Sweet Cheeks), Johnny must stop the crime to impress (and woo) the teacher.

He goes through a lot of trouble to get the job done, but many times result in failure, ranging from getting stuck in a sewer, to plunging into the Earth at high speed. Eventually he uses a fire hose to melt the villain Wicked Witch style, and gains the respect of the teacher.

...except she already has a boyfriend that's also a superhero and they fly away. The end.

This episode had some pretty good stuff in it. While the jokes weren't as good as TAWoG's in my opinion, they were still really good, i. e. Johnny confusing the shopping list items, the ending with Pretty Boy, and the "with a caramel center" joke.

THE BOTTOM LINE: This show is really clever and pretty much deserves all the praise it gets.
Final Rating: 8/10

Oh boy, what's next?

ou1pcj.png

Ice Bear is the best bear.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Here's a drinking game. Take a drink whenever Cartoon Network is mentioned and Wintermelon doesn't say Cartoon Network is garbage.

I like this drinking game because you can stay sober.

dmandaboi

I love SBM
Last time on "KM attempts to talk about every CN original in existence", Dman talked about an episode of an old CN original that turned out to be pretty good. Will the next show's be just as, or will it fail to please?

#50: We Bare Bears "Our Stuff"
[July 27, 2015]

2uzsbj9.png

We Bare Bears is an interesting show to say the least. Despite it being about three anthropomorphic bears, the show is pretty down-to-earth. Sure, it can be crazy when it wants to, but other than that it's oddly realistic. Let's see what this episode has to offer on that scale.

The episode starts off with the bears playing basketball and getting over-excited after scoring one point, to the point of wandering a distance away from the court. At this moment they realize they left their bag at the stands, but they return to find it missing and come to the conclusion that it's been stolen! DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN!

Anyways, they first try to contact a policeman, but it doesn't go too well. Then, they try to get a taxi driver to take them to criminal locations, but it doesn't go too well. Then, they try to plan out their possible locations and suspects in a diner, but it doesn't go too well. Every time it doesn't go too well is because the bears are awkward, loud, or annoying in a way they are unaware of. That's not too great of a start for the episode...

Their first success comes from a group of pigeons Ice Bear communicates with, and one points out a suspect from one of Panda's table-mat drawings. They follow the pigeon to the library, wrecking havoc while doing so. When they get there, they use a phone finder to track down Panda's phone (which is in the bag) and it takes them to an apartment. The steal an unrelated, similar looking bag, and end up surrounded by the police. When they are told to jump down from the apartment banister one at a time, they unintentionally disobey, shooting them through a window into a room filled with pigeons and stolen stuff.

...have you connected the dots yet? The pigeons were the criminals the whole time. So the police lets them go, gives them their things, but warns them not to try anything crazy like that again. The end.

In all honesty, this is a very clunky first episode. The characters aren't as accurate to their later portrayals, the plot has events that seem somewhat forced, and not much made me laugh (save the "FBI" paper with "PARKING VIOLATION" written above and everything Ice Bear did in general). But, I'll give it the pass this time, because most of the later episodes are pretty good and introduce more characters and ongoing plot lines with them (Nom Nom, Chloe, Charlie, etc.)

THE BOTTOM LINE: I wouldn't recommend watching this as a first episode; you should probably watch one of the later ones instead to get a better feeling for the characters and plots.
Final Rating: 8/10 (the episode itself gets a 6.5/10)

That was a lot more boring of a talk-about then I thought it would be. Wheel Decide, could you give me something completely different?

2qa36ns.png

Wheel Decide, I think you might be overdosing on running shows...

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
thoughts so far:

Ben 10 (2016): It's pretty harmless, but I don't care for it and prefer the original show from 2006. What's cool is that apparently Man of Action (the creators of the Ben 10 franchise) still work on this new one.

Gumball: Great show. I feel it's been going downhill since about Season 4, with Season 5 being the worst season of the show... everyone on the internet loves it at the moment. Too bad no one talked about it during Season 2 and 3...

Johnny Bravo: Haven't watched it much but it seems like a decent show from what I've seen.

We Bare Bears: I loved this show at first, but now it just feels like they're reusing the execution of the plots for 2 seasons now that it made me stop giving a crap about it and I wonder why it's still on.

good reviews so far, keep it up :D

Back