McSponge's Top 10 Best/Worst Season 2 Episodes

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Oh crap, he's got another list! Run for it!

7c9faaf7f97b899be09d5f6c66b87e5231eeb334_hq.gif

Well folks, the inevitable train of lists continue to spew out of my capsule of atrocious Oscar-worthy Top 10 lists. And what better way to spark up a riot than to share my (likely) controversial Top 10 lists for Season 2! Of course, these reviews were written on February 6th and 7th of 2017, so prepare for some amateur writing than what you're used to from me. *Ahem* Not like my writing currently suffers from my lack of qualified skills.

https://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=L8hOdo8kvJznmytq0cvZUYFA2KSJ%2ByvilyiIOYDkkDQ%3D

So, buckle in, as you're in for...not really a treat, more like a punishment that went too far if you ask me.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alright, so! When it comes to SpongeBob seasons, season 2 is usually considered the best season, out of them all. While I disagree, as I personally find seasons 3. and 9 to be better, I believe Season 2 is still one of the better ones. But, for every great, and amazing episode, there's always, a bad, and horrible episode.

Today, on Da Blog! We're taking a look at my picks for the Top 10 Worst episodes from SpongeBob's Second Season. And if you like these episodes, that's great! I'm glad you can enjoy them more than I can. And considering how good the quality in this season is, it's likely there are only going to be a few episodes that I actually hate. So, let's get started with number 10!

10. Bossy Boots
Original Airdate: 10-26-2000
Main Characters: SpongeBob, Pearl, Mr. Krabs
Plot: Mr. Krabs hires Pearl to redo the Krusty Krab, to attract new customers. The results are disastrous.
Fun Fact: This remains one of the (If not the only) few episodes Squidward quits his job at the Krusty Krab, and doesn't return to it at all for the rest of the episode.

Alright, so this episode, like the previous episode, I consider to just be plain decent. It's not special in the slightest, but still not the scummiest thing this side of the Chum Bucket. To be honest, as much as people dislike this episode, I still enjoy this episode. I think the plot had potential, and was done very well. Seeing the Krusty Krab transform into a "teenage paradise", as Pearl calls it, is pretty interesting to witness. I enjoy to new design, and I think it's pretty interesting to look at. All of the decorations are pretty nice, and I enjoy seeing how different it looks compared to the original. Another highlight in the episode is when Pearl, and SpongeBob try to come up with a new theme for the Krusty Krab is really entertaining, especially when SpongeBob goes too dark, and morbid with his ideas (Which makes things even funnier, knowing his cheerful personality). That's about all I can say though, positive wise. The ending plot twist was pretty good, but other than that, that's about the nicest part about the ending, seeing things work out for everyone. But, this episode lacks a major thing: comedy. There are hardly any funny moments in this episode, especially once Squidward leaves (Who provided a lot of the comedy, with him being the strait-man all normal, reacting to his co-workers actions). Once he's gone, the episode is just SpongeBob becoming more, and more agitated with the new style of the Krusty Krab, which is more depressing than funny. Sure, it does have some slight chuckle worthy moments, like how SpongeBob pronounces "Salad", but it's just missing comedy! I feel as though this episode could've had a lot more comedic moments, maybe with how ridiculous the Krusty Krab was decorated, or even keeping Squidward a bit longer. But I guess the writers wanted to convey the story more, and while they did succeed in that, this episode is just lacking comedy! There's so little funny comedic moments, that it really makes this episode pretty dull. It had a good plot, but was really ruined by the lack of comedy.

9. Jellyfish Hunter
Original Airdate: 9-28-2001
Main Characters: SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs, No-Name (Aka: Friend)
Plot: After hearing a very successful comment about a Jellyfish Jelly Krabby Patty made by SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs demands SpongeBob catch as many Jellyfish as he can.
Fun Fact: "Give it all you Got", a song Mr. Krabs listens to when working out at his Jellyfish factory is actually a full-length royalty free song.

Meeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That's what I have to say.

8. Krusty Love
Original Airdate: 9-6-2002
Main Characters: Mr. Krabs, SpongeBob, Mrs. Puff
Plot: Mr. Krabs falls in love wi-Okay okay!

I'll explain why I feel the way I do about Jellyfish Hunter! It's just hard to explain. It has so many likable qualities to it, such as the dark, and disturbing climax (With No-Name stalking SpongeBob), as well as Mr. Krabs (The Main Villain of the episode) getting what he deserves in the end, not to mention the "Hey All You People" song by Fred, which is one of the most memorable, and awesome songs from SpongeBob, so why is this on the list? Well, Jellyfish Hunter never really appealed to me, I guess. It doesn't have that many comedic moments to it. Sure, "Hey All you People", and the MOAR image are funny, but that's about it, no other really funny moments. It's an alright episode I guess, but I never really had a positive look on this episode. Sometimes you just dislike an episode just because it doesn't fit your taste. Kind of like the next episode on the list...

8. Krusty Love
Main Characters: Mr. Krabs, SpongeBob, Mrs. Puff
Plot: Mr. Krabs falls in love with Mrs. Puff, but after spending so much money on her, he tries to find a way to stop himself from spending so much.
Fun Fact: Mrs. Puff is revealed to be single in this episode, hinted that her husband is deceased and in human hands.

Oh boy, I'm going to get a lot of hate for having this one on the list. Let me explain. I have no issue with the concept of Kruff (Aka: A shipping term for Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff. I don't care for shipping names, but it's a lot quicker to type). But, when an episode involving it is done in a very poor way, then I have a problem. This episode is just kind of...there. I mean, it doesn't really go anywhere until the last few minutes. I mean, the first 2 chunks of the episode, SpongeBob introducing Mr. Krabs to Mrs. Puff, and Mr. Krabs going on his date with Mrs. Puff is fine. In fact, I believe these parts have the most comedy in the episode. But things just kind of falls apart from there. I really don't know how to to put it. Mr. Krabs getting SpongeBob to spend his money is...eh.... It's hard to describe this. I, on one hand, kind of like the running gag/montage of Mr. Krabs asking SpongeBob to spend, and then yelling at him for spending, because it is so ridiculous, it's funny, but on the other hand, it's kind of frustrating, and watching this episode frequently makes the scene more, and more aggravating. I guess it's just so tedious, the whole "Split Krab" trait expressed is kind of just nerve racking. The episode is decent, as it has a good plot, plenty of good jokes, and the ending was sweet. Mr. Krabs got yelled at by SpongeBob (Rightfully so), and was kissed by Mrs. Puff (Also rightfully so.). Really, I do "like" the episode, but for some reason, I just dislike it, despite its good qualities. It's okay, but I don't really seem to have a positive impression on this episode, if I'm going to be honest with you. It's a weird thing.

7. The Smoking Peanut
Original Airdate: 3-8-2001
Main Characters: SpongeBob, Patrick, Clamu
Plot: SpongeBob throws a peanut at an oyster at "Oyster Stadium" which causes it to go mad. SpongeBob then cowards in fear, trying to figure out how to earn the guts to spill the beans that he threw the peanut, causing it to go crazy.
Fun Fact: Plankton is the only main character to not appear in this episode.

Alright, this is an episode I absolutely HATED not too long ago. Even then, my thoughts have hardly changed, as I still consider this one of the worst of the season, and I just all in all really dislike this episode. Not how I used to despise it, but it's pretty close. So why is this only at #7 if I hate it that much? Well, regardless of how much I hate this episode, the quality to it is still pretty top notch if you think about it. The whole "Mystery" aspect to the episode, about why the oyster freaked out is still a pretty impressive plot line, but the episode focuses more on SpongeBob whimpering about how he through the peanut, and tries to get help from his friends, and fails in the process. This episode just has too much filler to be honest. I mean, the episode has scenes that I feel drag on far too long, and it kind of ruins the episode. His conversations with Squidward, and Sandy are decent, but considering how they go nowhere, makes them all the more absolutely pointless! And the comedy, oh the comedy. There are hardly any funny jokes in this episode, and I can only think of one or 2 that are legitimately funny. The plot has plenty of potential, but I feel as if it was just ruined! Patrick is a decent enough character, as he's probably the least frustrating character out of the bunch, but even then, there weren't that many funny moments with him, but he was the most entertaining. Him going on a detective search was a pretty nice sideplot, and once he was framed, it was a good opportunity for SpongeBob to admit he really threw the peanut. Despite this, his efforts to talk to the Bikini Bottomites are worthless! He gets booed at, and they continue to throw peanuts at Patrick, and now SpongeBob! Even then, Patrick talks over his speech in an "attempt" for comedy(?). I'm seriously questioning if it's supposed to be for comedy, because it's not funny in the slightest, just an annoying distraction during SpongeBob's speech. The plot twist of this episode is probably the best part of this entire episode, especially with the foreshadowing at the beginning of the episode, indicating that plot twist, which I will give them points for that. But all in all, this is an episode that had so much potential, but just failed miserably.

6. Welcome to the Chum Bucket
Original Airdate: 1-21-2002
Main Characters: SpongeBob, Plankton, Mr. Krabs
Plot: Mr. Krabs, thinking Plankton's a really horrible player at cards, bets the turnout of a card game over SpongeBob. As it turns out, Plankton has hustled Krabs for all these years, and Mr. Krabs is forced to give Plankton, SpongeBob. If SpongeBob doesn't make a Krabby Patty for Plankton, Plankton will put SpongeBob's brain in a robot!
Fun Fact: Aside from Christmas Who?, this is the only episode in Season 2 to contain a song that SpongeBob sings in (And no, I don't count the Bikini Bottom Anthem from Imitation Krabs).

hpuWw7Kl.jpg

No, not that kind of robot!

Hey look, this is the 6th episode in a row with Mr. Krabs being an important character to the episode. Well don't worry, that's about to change, soon ;) . Now, don't get me wrong. There are definitely redeeming parts of this episode. Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob's relationship in this episode really develops, and seeing Plankton take SpongeBob away from Krabs is in a way, very emotiona, and somewhat heartbreaking. The two really seem like a "Father and Son" in this episode, and I wish we had more episodes with that type of relationship. Granted, it is Mr. Krabs' fault SpongeBob is given to Plankton in the first place, but how was Krabs to know that Plankton hustled him for all these years? And let's not forget the best part, the song "This Grill is Not a Home". This song is magnificent, and is truly a beautiful way to develop both SpongeBob, and Mr. Krabs characters, and really makes this episode. Unfortunately, the rest of this episode is where things fall on its face. There's hardly any comedy in this episode (After watching this episode at least 10 times in my life, in total, the grill joke is not longer funny), and seeing SpongeBob turn into an ungrateful brat is just annoying. His personality is obnoxious, and really ruins the main climax of the episode, even when put into the robot, he's downright annoying. This episode has hardly any funny jokes, and a terrible climax, and weak ending. It has a few beautiful moments, but the rest of the episode just downright stink.

5. Grandma's Kisses
Original Airdate: 3-6-2001
Main Characters: SpongeBob, SpongeBob's Grandma, Patrick
Plot: SpongeBob is made fun of, and taunted for being kissed by his grandma, so he and Patrick try to act like men in front of SpongeBob's Grandma. Patrick fails.
Fun Fact: When this episode came out, Marion Ross, the legendary actress who voices SpongeBob's Grandma was 72 years old. As of 2018, when posting this review (I make the fun facts when posting it on SBM, sue me :hehe: ) she is currently 89 years, awaiting her 90th birthday in October.

Oh brother, this episode. Let me just say right off the bat, the Bikini Bottomites, and Squidward are such pests in this episode, and really ruin it! Good grief, that ending hits a nerve seeing the bullies spying on SpongeBob laughing at him. Why do I think this episode is worse than the above? Well, the additional "joke" at the ending was total garbage, and ruined the ending, the scene where SpongeBob is bullied, while it is necessary to the plot, still drags on for way too long, in my book. While yes, there are some really good jokes in this episode (Anything to do with the sideburns, and free form jazz), the rest of the episode kind of falls flat on its face. I mean, even SpongeBob's a bit out of character when visiting his grandma. I mean, we know he seems to never let go of being like a child, but really? Some of the stuff is ridiculous, like him sitting on Grandma's lap, as she tells him a story about when he was a baby. Okay...? I've never heard of a Grandparent, not even a parent do that, really to anyone whose age is in double digits. Patrick acting like a baby is somewhat funny, but not entirely. It's goofy seeing his character act that way, but really just goes against what he was for earlier in the episode (Even though, that's the point, it's still pretty forced in my opinion). All in all, I really don't care for this episode. It's a really weak episode, and really lacks comedy, and some of the scenes just drag out a bit too much. The quality in this episode is pretty bad, although I did enjoy the sweet relationship between SpongeBob and his Grandma once the climax was over (But that joke still killed the ending in my book).

4. I'm With Stupid
Original Airdate: 11-30-2001
Main Characters: Patrick, SpongeBob, Janet, Marty
Plot: Patrick's Parents come to visit, but being afraid that they'll think he's a dummy, SpongeBob decides to help him out, pretending to be a dummy, to make Patrick look good.
Fun Fact: This remains the only episode of the series Patrick's appearance makes an appearance.

Ugh, this episode. This is one of my least favorite episodes of Season 2, I personally can't stand this episode! If I had to chose between watching this, or even one of the episodes ahead (Yes, HIGHER on the list), I would chose that episode! This episode is just overall mean spirited towards SpongeBob. Patrick's "parents" are nasty towards the little Sponge, and Patrick joins right on in, to the point of believing he really is the dummy. SpongeBob's silly antics were pretty clever, and somewhat chuckle worthy, but once Patrick starts antagonizing SpongeBob's real traits, that's when things get out of hand. You can feel for the Sponge's frustration when the parents think Patrick taught SpongeBob how to become smart. It is so aggravating, and really just unentertaining, and unfunny! I will give the writers credit for being pretty clever with how the episode was conveyed, but you can't ignore the fact that Janet, and Marty are obnoxious (Not as bad as a certain other relative of Patrick, but we'll get to that in the future)! SpongeBob literally runs out of Patrick's house, screaming of frustration. Yeah, that's the last we see him in this episode. Our main protagonist, who was just trying to help his buddy out, goes completely insane, and runs out of his friend's house out of frustration. Janet and Marty are so annoying, and very unlikable. Thankfully, the plot twist that they aren't Patrick's real parents are the absolute highlight of the episode. It is hilarious, and is a very clever plot twist, and Marty's "Oh that's right Janet, we don't have a song" quote is downright hilarious. But other than that, yeah, this episode stinks. It's a really awful episode, and I can't stand it.

3. Artist Unknown
Original Airdate: 9-21-2001
Main Characters: Squidward, SpongeBob, Monty P. Moneybags
Plot: Squidward becomes an art teacher, but his only student is SpongeBob. SpongeBob succeeds in creating some of the greatest pieces of artwork Squidward has ever seen, but he rejects it, causing SpongeBob to flee the class. But, what happens when famous art collector, Monty P. Moneybags stops by, and falls in love with SpongeBob's artwork?
Fun Fact: Squidward's artwork, Bold and Brash belongs in the trash.

Oh goodness, if there's ever an episode as pointless as this one, I'm not even sure what it is. This has got to be, one of the most wasted, pointless episodes in existence! Squidward teaching an art class has so much potential. Beyond what I could imagine! And this episode just takes that potential, and crumbles it up into a million pieces. I HATE this episode! This is one of my least favorite episodes in the entire series! It just goes nowhere! First off, only 1 student actually wanted to enroll into Squidward's art class (Although the gag with all of the students mistakening it for Cooking is HILARIOUS!), then, SpongeBob does even better than Squidward could do with artwork, and Squidward constantly shoots down all of the artwork. Then, SpongeBob runs off to the dump, depressed. Monty shows up, and takes in SpongeBob's sculpture for his collection, and the head of the sculpture breaks off. Finally, when things actually start to happen, SpongeBob fails miserably with the amazing tasks he did before, by doing the exact same thing Squidward does. Squdiward goes insane, SpongeBob runs off to the dump again, Squidward creates a marvelous sculpture without thinking, THE END. This episode is completely pointless! The first half is just boring moments with Squidward trying to teach SpongeBob (Although the ways SpongeBob learned were clever, it still feels like filler that drags on way too long). And once things actually seem to pick up, with the possibility of real action happening, BOOM! SpongeBob does the exact same thing Squidward does, and it drags out EVEN LONGER!!! That entire 2nd half of the episode is pointless, boring, and unfunny. There are no funny moments in this episode aside from the statues, "Cooking", and the Circle. That's it. That's it. This episode is so useless, and completely pointless, with the plot going no where, SpongeBob goes to the dump a 2nd time, basically leaving an open ending for the whereabouts of his character, and just all in all flops. This is a horrible episode!

2. Gary Takes a Bath
Original Airdate: 9-26-2003
Main Characters: SpongeBob, Gary
Plot: SpongeBob tries to give a relentless Gary, a bath.
Fun Fact: This episode ended up being delayed severely, and aired in 2003, airing over two years after it's partner episode, Shanghaied originally aired.

Remember how I mentioned at #4 that there was an episode higher on the list I would rather watch than that? This is the one. I don't really care for this episode all that much, but I do consider it to be pretty decent. But Studio Stage, if it's decent, why is it higher than Artist Unknown? Well, there is a pretty big issue with this episode. The best part about this episode is that it's like a Looney Tunes Cartoon. The worst part is, it hardly has any good qualities to it. It is a shorter episode than the average SpongeBob episode. Heck, there are only 3 characters in total appear in this episode. Sure, that may not mean much, considering Bubblestand had 3 characters, but unlike Bubblestand, where the 3 are all main characters, only 1 character in this entire episode talks! SpongeBob. And to make things worse, he's really out of character in this episode. I admire the direction this episode tried to go in. It has an extremely simple plot, and plays out like a Looney Tunes cartoon. But the main issue with this cartoon is the same issue with Reef Blower. It's too short to be established as a high quality episode. There aren't that many memorable funny jokes in this episode. Most of the jokes in this episode are pretty forgettable. In fact, now that I think about it, this episode is full of mature, dark humor. SpongeBob straps a bomb on his chest, he dangles his body from the 2nd floor window of his house, there's a dirty joke in this episode, he gives Gary a creepy, cross eyed girl subliminal message, so really, this episode has a lot of dark humor in it, and while I'm okay with that, a lot of the dark humor just isn't funny. The writers try, but it just doesn't work. There's nothing to really be said about the plot, because it relies on the comedy, and the comedy is hit or miss in this episode (For the majority, miss). The climax is somewhat suspenseful, but once you've seen this episode, the climax isn't anything special. The ending is mediocre, and there's only 1 character who actually speaks in this episode, who, even then, is out of character. All in all, I admire the uniqueness in this episode, especially considering how different is is from most other episodes, but it's still nonetheless, one of the worst quality episodes in the season.

Before we move on to our Number 1 spot, here's an entire episode's worth description, that was originally on the list, but I miscounted the amount of episodes, so now it's an honorable mention.

11. Squid on Strike
Original Airdate: 10-21-2001
Main Characters: Squidward, SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs
Plot: Tired of Mr. Krabs treating him and SpongeBob (But mostly him) terribly at work, Squidward decides to go on strike, and drags SpongeBob in the process.
Fun Fact: Interestingly enough, both this and Bossy Boots (The episode ahead of this one on my personal ranking) feature teenagers, and Squidward quitting.

Alright, so this is a pretty decent episode. Don't get me wrong, this episode has it's pros. For one, the plot is pretty clever, as I really haven't seen a plot about going on strike done in any other cartoon. Granted, it makes sense for this cartoon since it's focused primarily on the Krusty Krab itself, so it is pretty logical for this to work out as a good episode. The comedy in this episode is either hit or miss. Some of the comedy is hilarious, such as Squidward getting run over (Twice), and Squidward's hilarious nightmare. But, there are other moments which fall flat on its face, like the entire ending, and climax (Possibly the weakest ending in the entire season), and really, I feel as if all the hilarious comedic moments really end once the climax kicks in with SpongeBob. Don't get me wrong, I still believe this is a pretty decent episode, but it's no where near the best of the season, in fact, it's one of the weakest episodes of the season. While I don't hate this episode, I still find it to be worse than others.

And finally, the Number 1 Worst Episode from SpongeBob's Second Season is...

1. Dumped
Original Airdate: 3-5-2001
Main Characters: SpongeBob, Gary, Patrick
Plot: Gary leaves SpongeBob for Patrick, and SpongeBob tries to replace Gary
Fun Fact: Gary's dislike for Squidward is revealed in this episode, due to SpongeBob mentioning Gary's love of shredding/destroying SpongeBob's wooden carving of Squidward. (This could possibly refer to Squidward's terrible job at watching Gary in I Was a Teenage Gary

Good grief, this episode is awful! I hate it when people say this is the worst episode of Season 2, because I personally believe Artist Unknown is worse, but when you look at the quality of the episode, you know Artist Unknown has a much superior quality over Dumped! Dumped has got to be the worst quality episode in the entire Season! There are no jokes in this episode that are funny (Even if the pets are "Smirk" worthy, they are still deep down really awful characters in this episode). I hate this episode! It is a beyond weak episode, where the main thing you can remember is our protagonist being depressed the entire time, and Gary showing no emotion whatsoever (Even if you look at his actions, why he left SpongeBob for Patrick, just for a cookie. It basically further makes Gary into less of a character with personality in this episode!). Patrick is so full of himself in this episode, he is extremely arrogant! There's no funny jokes, the plot itself is very lame, and ridiculous, the plot twist is lame, the climax isn't even much of a climax, the ending is sour, and the characters are mostly jerks to SpongeBob! This is by far the worst episode in the entire Season, as it is such a low quality episode, it downright stinks! I don't hate it as much as Artist Unknown, but the quality in this episode screams it's much weaker than Artist Unknown, which could at least get a few chuckles out of me.

So there you have, it my picks for the Top 10 Worst Episodes from SpongeBob's 2nd Season.

https://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=dj5oG1ZSU6C19qmgQ%2FUtKD4%2ByhklQGNBnQoWhPx8dTs%3D

Now don't get me wrong, not all of these episodes are ones I hate. In fact, I would say a majority of these episodes, I wouldn't mind watching. In fact, there were less episodes I truly despised on this list than in my previous Top 10 Worst list, so that's a plus. Not to mention, we've only covered the worst of Season 2, and there are a lot of really awesome episodes in Season 2, that're just waiting to be reviewed by yours truly. Stay tuned for the Top 10 Best Season 2 SpongeBob Episodes, coming soon
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, yesterday I discussed my picks for the Top 10 Worst Episodes from SpongeBob's Second Season. Now it's time for me to do the opposite, showing off my picks for the Top 10 Best Episodes from SpongeBob's Second Season! Keep in mind, this is my opinion, and is not only based off my opinion, but also the quality of the episode. So if you disagree, that's okay! We all have different opinions. Oh yeah, and like the Top 10 Best Season One episodes list, there will still be episodes I saw early, when I started watching SpongeBob, so there will be nostalgic episodes on this list. Now, let's get started with the Top 10 Best SpongeBob Season 2 Episodes!

10. Squidville
Original Airdate: 3-6-2001
Main Characters: Squidward, SpongeBob, Patrick, Additional Squids
Plot: Squidward moves away to a town for just Squid. But what happens when he grows bored to the perfect routine there?
Fun Fact: At least 50 individual Squids appear in this episode (12 of which have speaking lines)

This was an episode I always liked. I never loved it, but I always like it. Then, the more time went by, the more I appreciated this episode, and by golly, it deserves to be appreciated. I love this episode now! It really has such an awesome plot concept, what with Squidward moving away to a town filled with people just like him, that it really makes this episode pretty creative. There are plenty of enjoyable sights to see in Squidville, and even then, the montage of Squidward getting sick of the place is done in an extremely creative way, rather than dragging it out forever. Patrick's character really does contribute to the comedy in this episode. i don't know what it is, but he really has a lot of funny quotes from "I hate this channel" to "Are you Squidward? That's okay, take your time". He acts as such a funny character in this episode. Squidward acting silly is very entertaining to watch, and the ending is pretty ironic. All in all, this is a really good episode.

9. Christmas Who?
Original Airdate: 12-6-2000
Main Characters: SpongeBob, Squidward, Santa Claus
Plot: SpongeBob learns about Christmas, and gets everyone in Bikini Bottom into the Christmas spirit. Everyone, except Squidward.
Fun Fact: This is the series' first ever special, also marking the debut of Patchy the Pirate and Potty.

It doesn't take a genie (Reference to the episode) to know that this is a great episode! Remember in my Top 10 Best SpongeBob Season 1 Episode list, where I said that Scaredy Pants is my 3rd favorite Holiday themed SpongeBob episode? This is my first! I love Christmas Who?, and it truly is a classic episode! Out of all the holiday themed episodes, this one is indeed the best Christmas themed, or holiday themed SpongeBob Episode! This episode is a classic, with its lovable cast of characters (There's not a single person I dislike in this episode, and when I do dislike someone, the characters either have a valuable reason to act the way they do, or the writers are intentionally writing the characters the way they are, on purpose for the story), as well as awesome, memorable songs. This episode is truly special! There's a good blend of heartwarming scenes, and funny scenes, with a good amount of comedy, such as how Patrick used a pencil, to blend with the heartwarming moments, like SpongeBob hugging Squidward dressed as Santa. The basic concept of this episode is a little generic, but the way it is done is perfectly original! I love the song that goes along with Patrick, and SpongeBob getting the town ready for the Christmas celebration, and I love the climax with Squidward giving away all of his stuff, for the sake of not letting SpongeBob down. All in all, this is a truly magical, and special, wonderful, Christmas episode.

8. The Fry Cook Games
Original Airdate: 9-28-2001
Main Characters: SpongeBob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, Plankton
Plot: SpongeBob and Patrick compete in an annual Olympic-like event known as the Fry Cook Games!
Fun Fact: This episode takes place during the 21st Fry Cook Games.

Oh man, what an awesome episode! This is one I did see early on, but, I was never nostalgic about it, compared to other episodes I saw early on. Still, this is a really great episode! I love this episode! It has such a unique, new, and fresh atmosphere to make things more exciting, and while the plot is more on the generic side, the original Fry Cook themed events really keeps the story fresh, and original! Seriously, all of the events/courses are extremely entertaining to witness, and are pretty creative. Plus, the jokes in this episode are GOLD! From Plankton telling the audience to turn their attention to the Southwest corridor, only to have them turn the wrong way, to the giant guy Plankton hired to carry Patrick, really this episode is hilarious! Patrick and SpongeBob's arguing that leads them to compete is pretty weak if you ask me, but Plankton, and Krab's interractions are gold! Heck, a lot of the comedy in this episode is from those two! This is a really funny episode, with a really creative element added to the plot, as well as very creative story elements. And oh, the ending! The ending is comical, but kind of sweet in a way, seeing Patrick and SpongeBob walk out of the arena as best friends. All in all, this is a really great episode, with tons of humor, and just all in all being extremely entertaining the entire episode!

7. Something Smells
Original Airdate: 10-26-2000
Main Characters: SpongeBob, Patrick
Plot: SpongeBob makes his own "Peanut-Onion Sundae", which gives him bad breath. Unaware that the bad breath is the thing turning people away from him, he and Patrick think that SpongeBob is ugly.
Fun Fact: Patrick utters a line claiming to have a sister only to correct himself saying he doesn't have a sister. How ironic...

Oh goodness...this episode. Whoever thought of making an episode about bad breath? There's a 99% chance that it would fail. But the other 1% chance goes into this episode. This episode has such a high quality to it! From its unique plot, that I don't think has ever been done as a main plot in any other cartoon to existence, to its large amount of funny moments, this really makes for a great episode! I mean, we all know that our breaths stink at one point or another, whether it's getting out of bed in the morning, or after just eating garlic, but the idea of having a cartoon episode focus on it, is really something, and pulling it off the way this episode did is even better! The thing is, the bad breath isn't the main draw to the episode's plot. It's for the episode's comedy. A lot of the jokes in the episode are focused on the bad breath, and really, a lot of the time, it works out really hilarious and unique ways! From "My Eyes!" to "Deeugh" to the mirror breaking itself, the whole bad breath element leads into some pretty hilarious jokes! But some of the funniest jokes aren't even from the bad breath itself! From Squidward's remark "Is that what he calls it?" to Patrick asking if anyone wants to hear a bathroom joke (That's pretty weird, Patrick), to SpongeBob at the organ, to the little subtle visual gag of Squidward looking at a Wig shop, this episode truly holds up in the comedy department! There so many hilarious gags, whether it has to do with the main plot, or not, it really makes for a hilarious episode! This episode has such a top notch quality to it, it's really hard to tell where this episode fails. It's that great of an episode!

6. The Graveyard Shift
Main Characters: SpongeBob, Squidward, kid looking to be hired
Plot: Mr. Krabs changes the working hours for the Krusty Krab to being open 24 hours a day, leaving SpongeBob, and Squidward stuck working the entire night shift. But what happens when a freaky scary story Squidward made up might be true?
Fun Fact: There exists a deleted scene that never made it beyond the storyboard, involving SpongeBob talking to Floorboard Harry (Who was eventually outphased, and replaced by Nosferatu.

Oh my, my, my, my, my. This episode is one of the most memorable, classic SpongeBob episodes of all time. The comedy in this episode is beyond compare. There are just sooooooooooooooo many jokes in this episode! From the very memorable "...And the walls ooze green slime!? Oh wait, they always do that." to the less memorable, but still hilarious "Dude, can I have some ketchup?" interruption during Squidward's telling of the story. Even then, the story of the Hash Slinging Slasher is still pretty original, but you can tell Squidward was running out of ways to end the story, what with the whole "He got hit by a bus" nonsense. This episode is such a top notch episode, and is truly one of the most famous episodes of all time. The creepy factor added to this episode is pretty good to be honest, and I can imagine it would send a little bit of chills down your spine when you first watched this episode. And even then, the plot twist is downright hilarious, and Squidward's story being reenacted was just a huge coincidence. All in all, this is a really great episode, and really seem to have such a perfect quality to it. Although it's not the best episode of the season, it is still one of better ones, and still holds up as one of the most famous episodes in the entire series.

5. Imitation Krabs
Original Airdate: 12-28-2000
Main Characters: Plankton, SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs
Plot: Plankton disguises himself in a robot that looks like Mr. Krabs, and tries to get the formula from SpongeBob.
Fun Fact: This episode's premise (Planktong disguising himself) has been redone several times later on in the series in episodes such as Married to Money, Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy, Grandma's Secret Recipe, Shellback Shenanigans, and to an extent, Fear of a Krabby Patty.

Oh boy, what a classic! By the way, starting from here, the rest of the list are episodes I'm nostalgic about, so keep that in mind. Anyway, regardless of my nostalgia, this is still an awesome episode! This is the first Plankton disguise episode (The first out of many, a lot of which stink), and it's done really well. The whole concept of Plankton disguising himself in a robot was a new, and fresh story element at the time, and the whole "Disguising himself" factor hasn't been run into the ground yet. This whole concept idea is pretty original, and allows for a great story to come out in the episode! This episode is done in a peculiar fashion, that's hard to describe, but the way the plot is done is done in a really awesome way! The concept is creative (At the time it was), and a lot of funny jokes come out of this episode, from Plankton giving Squidward the day off, to all of SpongeBob's reactions to the Mr. Krabs robot suit, this truly makes up for an outstanding episode! The climax is pretty suspenseful if you think about it, something that isn't done successfully take much in SpongeBob, and how SpongeBob handles Mr. Krabs is hilarious! I love this episode, and I truly believe this is one of the best episodes in the season! Granted, there is that nostalgic factor, but the quality of this episode never ceases to decrease! I really enjoy this episode, and I find it to be an awesome episode!

4. No Free Rides
Original Airdate: 3-7-2001
Main Characters: Mrs. Puff, SpongeBob, Mr. & Mrs. SquarePants
Plot: Mrs. Puff, tired of having SpongeBob fail her class decides to pass him, by having him do an extra credit assignment. But, what happens once he gets his license, SpongeBob's parents get him a boat of his own!? Mrs. Puff has to take action!
Fun Fact: It is hinted in this episode that Mrs. Puff has a dark and shady past, revealing she has fled her old town, started a new boating school with a new name.

What a hilarious episode! There are so many hilarious jokes in this episode, from Mrs. Puff going insane, pressuring SpongeBob, while he struggles on the assignment, to SpongeBob taking forever at the pencil sharpener, and most of all, Mrs. Puff's ramble about skipping town, getting a new boating school with a new last name, followed by "No. Not Again." in a really serious, menacing voice. Uhh...what's going on Mrs. Puff...? What a brilliant way to further establish her character! Before this episode, her character wasn't really developed that much, but this episode truly succeeds in developing her character. She is an awesome main character in this episode, and provides plenty of hilarious quotes, as well as doing quite surprising actions, like wearing a hockey mask, while stealing SpongeBob's car. This is such a fantastic episode! There are just so many comedic moments, that I can't even explain to you guys what they are, because they're just so many. Especially in the climax, oh my goodness the climax! The climax has to be one of the most suspenseful, yet hilarious climaxes in SpongeBob's history! There are just so many jokes in it, that it really helps this episode shine! Practically the entire climax is full of hilarious jokes! I really love this episode, and I really believe that this is an awesome, amazing episode!

3. The Secret Box
Original Airdate: 9-7-2001
Main Characters: SpongeBob, Patrick
Plot: Patrick shows off his secret box to SpongeBob, but refuses to let SpongeBob look inside of it, causing SpongeBob to try everything he can to get a look to see what's in the box.
Fun Fact: To this day, fans still debate on what Patrick's picture of SpongeBob at the Christmas party looks like.

What an AWESOME EPISODE! Yeah, I mean that. This used to be my favorite episode in the ENTIRE SERIES for a while, a while ago. I even wanted a Secret Box of my own! Now that's something, when an episode inspires you to want an object used in an episode! I love this episode, and I still believe to this day that this is one of the greatest episodes in SpongeBob's Second Season. Why? It has such a simple plot, but so many complex, deeper moments within it! SpongeBob, and Patrick's friendship is really at risk in this episode at multiple times, and it really shows off a large amount of more serious moments, heck they even give backstory to their friendship, showing how they've promised they'd be friends forever, and even making their own friendship ring when they were little! There are more emotional parts in this episode than you'd think. And the jokes, oh the jokes! There are so many hilarious jokes in this episode! From Squidward's house spying on the two, to Gary saying "Me-No, instead of Meow". But the real shiner is the climax. SpongeBob is so ridiculously loud in so many ways, but when he says "Patrick sure is a heavy sleeper", Patrick wakes up. It is hilarious! This goes along with No Free Rides when it comes to one of the most suspenseful, yet hilarious climaxes! And the plot twist...OH THE PLOT TWIST! The plot twist that the rope in the box lead to a secret compartment in the box showing off the embarrassing photo of SpongeBob at the Christmas party is one of the funniest plot twists of all time! I LOVE this plot twist! Not only was it foreshadowed earlier in the episode, and Patrick's maniacal laugh truly makes this one of the greatest endings to one of the greatest episodes in SpongeBob's entire series!

2. Dying For Pie
Original Airdate: 12-28-2000
Main Charcters: Squidward, SpongeBob
Plot: Squidward gets a pie from a group of pirates, for "Employee Brotherhood Day", and gives it to SpongeBob. But what happens when he discovers a bomb was in the pie!?
Fun Fact: This marks the first episode in which actual sea Pirates make an appearance.

Oh my gosh, what an awesome, yet dark episode. There's really no way to describe this episode. This is a masterpiece. A perfect masterpiece. SpongeBob has never really delved into more serious plots at the time, so this is really something special. This episode is just so incredible, beyond belief. First off, the plot is amazing, and is completely original, and 100% creative, the jokes are so funny, and really stick out, and makes this episode shine, and the suspense in this episode is really something, especially during the climax, when SpongeBob is thought to have DIED! Yeah, an EXPLOSION from the other side of Squidward's wall, at the same time SpongeBob was supposed to explode! When you first see this episode, you're probably shocked thinking "No, SpongeBob can't possibly be dead. Can he?", and once you're done questioning, it turns out SpongeBob never ate the pie, and just put it in his pockets, but the writers did an INCREDIBLE job working on this episode. Seriously, this episode is one of the greatest episodes in the entire series! I truly believe that this episode is one of the highest quality episodes in the entire series. I believe that this is one of the greatest episodes in SpongeBob's Second Season. It is such a perfect, glorious, magnificent episode, and is done in such an outstanding way!

So, what's my Number 1 spot? Well, before I reveal that, here's an honorable mention (I'm following the Top 10 Worst List's trend, by having a singular episode with a full description).

11. Squid's Day Off
Original Airdate: 11-2-2000
Main Characters: Squidward, SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs
Plot: Mr. Krabs gets an injury, and has to go to the hospital, leaving Squidward in charge. Squidward takes this opportunity to take the day off.
Fun Fact: SpongeBob says the word "errands" twenty times.

What a great episode! This episode has such an original plot to it! I'll be honest, I've never seen any other show do a storyline like this one. I really admire the creativity of the storyline, and the complex chain of events which lead Squidward into becoming in charge. Really, I believe it was done in a really well fashion. After that, Squidward slowly going insane is not only done very well, but is also done in such a hilarious fashion! The whole "Are you Finished with those errands?" gag is downright a classic one! Really this is a great episode. Its got an original plot, tons of hilarious comedy, and a very complex chain of events which are really entertaining!

And finally, the Number 1 Best episode from SpongeBob's Second Season is...

1. Band Geeks
Original Airdate: 9-7-2001
Main Characters: Squidward, Squillium, SpongeBob
Plot: Squidward lies to Squillium Fancyson that he does indeed have a marching band, and Squillium decides to cancel his marching band's performance at the Bubble Bowl, in order to witness Squidward's band. Squidward now has 4 days to put together a marching band.
Fun Fact: The main reason "Sweet Victory" was chosen to be in this episode was because the writers of the episode (Particularly Aaron, I believe) thought the song was so terrible, it'd be hilarious to feature it in this episode.

We all knew this episode was going to be Number 1. I knew it was going to be high, but I wasn't all that sure if this was going to make the Number 1 spot, but in the end, it did, and I do not regret it a single bit. This is one of the greatest episodes of SpongeBob's history, and is indeed the best episode of the entire season! There are 2 glorious halves of the episode. The first half is FULL of hilarious comedic moments, of the band trying to prepare. Although the fighting is annoying on Night 4, the rest of the fighting, as well as all of the other jokes are hilarious! One joke after another, there are just so many hilarious, memorable jokes in this amazing first half! Then, things get better. Squidward loses all hope, and walks off the marching band, due to their incapability. SpongeBob than ropes everyone together, and prepares the band himself. Then, comes the 2nd part. When the band actually shows up to the Bubble Bowl, Squidward is scared, and Squillium just can't wait to see the performance, and in the end, the band delivers an performance of Sweet Victory, which is so AWESOME! Sweet Victory is the right song for this episode, as it IS a sweet victory for Squidward! Squillium is taken away during the performance, because he can't handle it, and Squidward wins! All that hard work, and effort, trying to put the band together, just failed, and SpongeBob picked things back up, for Squidward, and the gang truly pulls off an outstanding, wonderful performance in the amazing 2nd half, really ending this awesome episode on such an awesome note. It is so incredible how this episode can pull off such an incredible amount of hilarious jokes, while having a real plot, with real emotion, truly ending the episode off with a sweet victory. This is truly, the best episode of Season 2, and is one of the most perfect episodes of the series.

https://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=fHmPnsQwWofQCbpWpfXmdaYUvH0aPkSOA2bmKysOPAM%3D

Thank you for reading this list! Did you enjoy it? If you didn't, that's okay. We all have different opinions. Which episodes do you think deserve to be on this list? Comment it. Up next in this series, will be the Top 10 Worst SpongeBob Season 3 Episodes.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, there you have it. Easily my worst lists I have composed. I apologize for thinking Band Geeks is the best, though at this point so many people have considered it overrated, it's kind of an unpopular opinion, now that I think about it. :sbdisappointed:

So, things possibly can't get any worse from here on out, things will only get better, I tell you. Have any opinions, comments, thoughts, feelings, joke of the week, whatever, just post it. Until next time. :sbhide:

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
You put one of my top 10 favorites of thr whole series in your bottom 10list :(

Anyway as for the list, I think I disagreed on more stuff than agreed for the bottom 10 list :P I agreed more with the top 10 list though

Also, your username on the old site you made these on that you were talking about before is Studio Stage, isn't it? :sbface:

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
You put one of my top 10 favorites of thr whole series in your bottom 10list :(
Anyway as for the list, I think I disagreed on more stuff than agreed for the bottom 10 list :P I agreed more with the top 10 list though
Also, your username on the old site you made these on that you were talking about before is Studio Stage, isn't it? :sbface:

Indeed. I originally tried to name this account Studio Sponge, but for some reason trying to make an account kept messing up when I tried back in June, and I ended up going with McSponge (A much better alternative I must say). Also, I definitely saw this coming with the 10 worst. It's easily a controversial list.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Oh, and something else I forgot to mention. I saw you say this on the Krusty Love post

"Oh boy, I'm going to get a lot of hate for having this one on the list."

But that doesn't make any sense. That's actually a pretty popular pick. From what I've seen, Krusty Love is actually usually considered one of the weaker episodes of the season. In fact, Jellyfish Hunter, Welcome to the Chum Bucket, and Gary Takes a Bath would probably be more controversial choices. You did the same thing on the season 1 post. You said the same thing with Jellyfishing, Sandy's Rocket, and Fools in April, but nowadays those actually seem to be more hated than liked from what I've seen, and you'd probably get more controversy for NOT having them in there. I would have been legitimately surprised if you didn't include them honestly.

I don't think any of your picks would cause any actual controversary in the first place though.

Oh boy, I'm going to get a lot of hate for having this one on the list. Let me explain

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Wintermelon43 said:
Oh, and something else I forgot to mention. I saw you say this on the Krusty Love post

"Oh boy, I'm going to get a lot of hate for having this one on the list."

But that doesn't make any sense. That's actually a pretty popular pick. From what I've seen, Krusty Love is actually usually considered one of the weaker episodes of the season. In fact, Jellyfish Hunter, Welcome to the Chum Bucket, and Gary Takes a Bath would probably be more controversial choices. You did the same thing on the season 1 post. You said the same thing with Jellyfishing, Sandy's Rocket, and Fools in April, but nowadays those actually seem to be more hated than liked from what I've seen, and you'd probably get more controversy for NOT having them in there. I would have been legitimately surprised if you didn't include them honestly.

I don't think any of your picks would cause any actual controversary in the first place though.
Oh boy, I'm going to get a lot of hate for having this one on the list. Let me explain
While they are considered weaker than most episodes in those seasons, they're still considered pretty good. I think him not liking him/finding them bad is the more controversial part.

Then again I mostly skimmed through both topics since I'm a bit busy. They seem good though.

Klu

Moby Dollar
Wow, I almost disagree with everything on those lists. But at the same time It's really enjoyable to read an opinion that much different from my own.

But to be honest, my personal picks would be kinda controversial too. (For starters, I would've not include Band Geeks in any any way and Something Smells would've be one of the worst episodes of season 2)

Something that I agree, It's hatred for Dumped. It's like poor man's version of "Have you seen the snail?" and Patrick is a jerk here for some reason.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Wow, I almost disagree with everything on those lists. But at the same time It's really enjoyable to read an opinion that much different from my own.
But to be honest, my personal picks would be kinda controversial too. (For starters, I would've not include Band Geeks in any any way and Something Smells would've be one of the worst episodes of season 2)
Something that I agree, It's hatred for Dumped. It's like poor man's version of "Have you seen the snail?" and Patrick is a jerk here for some reason.

Thanks! I'm glad you can enjoy my list, even if you disagree with most. That actually says a lot, and is definitely a great thing to hear, I'm glad people are interested in my lists even when they disagree. My lists tend to have a mix of popular a and unpopular opinions. Even when I try to avoid being as predictable as possible with my first pick, I couldn't avoid making Dumped the worst episode. It is simply the most flawed Season 2 episode (Not managing to convey the conflict through a comedic standpoint, rather than through just an all-out emotional rollercoaster for SpongeBob).

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
While they are considered weaker than most episodes in those seasons, they're still considered pretty good. I think him not liking him/finding them bad is the more controversial part.

Then again I mostly skimmed through both topics since I'm a bit busy. They seem good though.
I know. I was just saying that it doesn't make any sense to say people will probably be mad at him putting those episodes in his bottom 10 when it's a popular opinion to put them there anyway. The only truly hated pre-movie episodes from what I've seen are I Was a Teenage Gary and Dumped (And even then, it's still not too severly hated)

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
EmployeeAMillion said:
Band Geeks keeps going through phases where one generation will think it’s overrated while the next one will think it deserves all the unbridled love it gets.
That is pretty accurate. There are definitely flaws in the episode, especially the unnecessary amped up mean-spirited nature of the Bikini Bottomites in the middle of the episode. Personally if I changed the list now, Dying For Pie would definitely be ahead of it, with Band Geeks staying at the Number 2 spot, though it still remains one of the funniest, and most satisfying episode in the Season. I think the thing the episode did perfectly was represent SpongeBob (the character) at his prime. His inspirational speech, sticking up for Squidward is the right thing to do, something he would never hesitate to do.

Zombies4EvaDude

Imitation Krab
Finally, someone else who also hates Artist Unknown. An art related episode could’ve had potential, but they ruined it by being cruelly mean spirited to spongebob, being painfully unfunny, having a weak ending, and having an uninteresting story in general. At its root this episode is a Spongebob Torture Episode, and one of the least funny in that category. I really wish episodes like this and MM&BB4 would get more hate, cause they honestly need to because mean spirited humor in Spongebob doesn’t work.

Yoshi

Giant Clam
They put Sweet Victory in it because someone thought it was so terrible it would be hilarious to put it in the episode? Ironic considering it's one of the most loved songs in SB history.

Back