What Happened to the Water Sound Effect?

LARRY22

Giant Clam
Good afternoon/evening/morning everyone :)

This is going to be very interesting. Not many people talk about this, but I'm really starting to notice this. Okay so when I was watching the Season 2 episodes Something Smells/Bossy Boots, I noticed alot of the time that there would be watery, underwater sound effects in the background when it's really quiet, without anyone talking, or heck, even no music in the background. I thought it was a cool thing that they did, and I watched some other episodes at random and noticed the same thing. Then I decided to watch some Season 10 and 11 episodes, and didn't hear this at all. Why is this? Did they remove it?

I really miss it because it gives the show its' atmosphere.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Although I do agree with you that the water sound effects evoked the undersea atmosphere the show conveys, I guess they stopped doing it because the show has been on so long that we should know it takes place underwater by now.

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
They still use it but it's harder to hear. I noticed it in a season 10 or 11 episode, though I can't remember which episode I heard it in.

LARRY22

Giant Clam
They still use it but it's harder to hear. I noticed it in a season 10 or 11 episode, though I can't remember which episode I heard it in.
OK I see. So they just turned it down basically. I think they did this because they wanted to balance the audio or something?

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
LARRY22 said:
OK I see. So they just turned it down basically. I think they did this because they wanted to balance the audio or something?
idk, they might not even use it in every episode. I'll try to find the episode I heard it in.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Even without water sound effects, I feel as though Seasons 10 & 11 havre filled up this lack of water sound effects, by incorporating lots of Live Action sequences. I feel as though Feral Friends and ScavengerPants have done this the best.

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
When Derek Iversen left the sound department to become a writer in Season 6, the sound stopped being used in any notable sense, but post-sequel it's been used a lot more.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
It's a shame that they don't use it anymore, or that they reduced it.

The effect was so small and subtle, yet it brought the atmosphere. It vanished to the background I guess.

Back