What is your opinion on Taylor Swift?

Do you enjoy Taylor Swift's music?

• Total voters

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
A random question I've been thinking about recently... do you enjoy Taylor Swift's music, or do you despise it?

For me, I've never been a fan of Taylor Swift, and if I'm going to be honest here... she's been getting much worse in the past five years or so, I feel she's just become another pretentious jerk like Kanye West. Is there any reason why a lot of your songs has to be directed towards either your haters or guy you knew and broken up with. I'm sure there's song by her that aren't like that but the mainstream things I've heard doesn't even make me want to see what her lesser-known discography is like since a lot of her mainstream stuff I do her is just... why? Also, I love how she acts like she's this new person now when she doesn't look like she changed anything about herself to me.

Discuss.

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
the real todd phillips said:
yes. the reason she has been vengeful is because all of those guys she’s been with they all treated her like crap and i felt sorry for her.
Does she need to do it constantly though? It's like she still cares about some of those guys she broke up with if she's making a negative song about them.

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
Did someone say...TAYLOR SWIFT?????
GURL I LOVE TAY-TAY!!!!!

hands-in-air.gif

Yes, I've been a huge Swifte for...only a few years now. I first got into her music when she started releasing music videos for some of her 1989 songs in 2014/2015. Ever since I've considered myself a HUGE Taylor fan and ever since she's been releasing Reputation stuff I've been listening to it on repeat constantly and have also been listening to some of her older songs, which are also pretty fun and nice to listen to.

Taylor does get a lot of criticism for writing about a lot of guys, but look how far it's gotten her. Girl knows how to write a song about heartbreak and relationships, and I'll be here listening to 'em! I love Reputation (from what I've heard thus far - gotta buy the album) because Swift literally DGAF - it feels different to her other albums and I respect her change of style in every way. Some parts do sound a little like the "Old Taylor", but it's not like she's done a full 360 - there are some parts of her that just aren't going to change, like her appreciation of her fans.

Homie

get outer my space!
red and speak now are undeniably two of the best albums beginning to end, especially considering the latter was self-written by tay when she was only like 20. reputation also has a lot of great moments. i'm glad she's keeping a relatively low media profile now.

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
I've listened to some of her music. It's not really my cup of tea, but I don't think it's terrible. She does get some flak for writing so much about her exes; whether she truly needs to exercise those demons, or she merely knows what the people want to hear, is not for me to judge. I'm not a fan, and unlike Todd, I don't feel sorry for her in the least, but she's made herself out to be a sweet enough girl. I'd love to hear her mature in her lyrical and musical approach, like her one-time beau John Mayer (although he's got some work to do, too).

Unless I'm in a funk myself, I much prefer music that takes me out of myself and touches on the concerns of others. I feel there's too much narcissism in the music industry today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5SxWu5w9hI

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
I really don't see any hype outside of the good songs on 1989. She's definitely not talented enough to be considered the biggest music star in the world right now, or if she is then she hasn't expressed it the right way. Then again given her competition it's not like there's anyone who really does either....

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
I like most of her songs. She's not talentless, she's not the best artist, but she's great at getting top hits.

Cha

I love SBM
After Shake It Off I found it cringe enough to stop listening but I was never really an avid fan, my sister listened to her more than me. I still think she has some good songs but again I don’t listen anymore.

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
She's decent. She does have a good voice so I won't say she's untalented. Does have bad songs like Bad Blood. She does have great songs like Wildest Dreams. Shake it Off grows on me each listen. 1989 is her best album for me. Far from a perfect artist, but I would listen to her if I wanted to.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
In general I don't care for her music at all, although she does have some good ones now and then.

CartoonJazzLover

Balloon Traveler
I'm NEUTRAL on her, honestly. On the plus side, she always succeed at vocals (except LWYMMD, she sounded dead) and 1989 was kind of fun, but in the negative, she is obsessed with Kanye (Who is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better than her right now) and her haters lately that I question her professional. These fans of her are immature who having snake emojis as part of their name (in Twitter) is "genius" as well as not taking criticism when someone say something bad about her. Also, I hate country music, but she had a couple decent songs during her early days (ex: Our Song).

This is how I rate her albums, singles-wise:
Self-titled: Okay
Fearless: Okay
Speak Now: Decent
Red: Okay
1989: Great

Also, I'm glad Family Guy made fun of her. I'm going to watch that episode sometimes this month so I can get my mind off of her. No offense to those who still likes her.

Katniss

totally coral
I love Taylor Swift. Has she been petty in the past, especially with the Kanye situation? Yes. But regardless of that I still enjoy her music. I think she writes some pretty good lyrics. And I don't care that she writes a lot of songs about relationships and breakups. Many pop singers do that, but people only seem to have an issue with it when Taylor does it :rolleyes: 1989 and Red are my favorite albums of hers, though her earlier works (haven't heard Reputation yet since it's not on Spotify) have some songs I like too.

Homie

get outer my space!
Katniss said:
especially with the Kanye situation
i'm still on taylor's side on this whole incident. the video kim provided of taylor approving the lyric:
  • never features taylor approving the "i made that b*tch famous" line
  • has several points where the audio cuts/drops out
  • though not shown on video, affirms that taylor did not approve the original line "i feel like taylor still owes me sex."

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
I honestly don't really care about her. She was okay when I listened to her first song, but I didn't feel like listening to her anymore. In fact, I'm not a fan of music at all. I completely lost interest in music. It's very unappealing to me and doesn't being much importance to me, especially the later songs. I'm talking about music in general, not just Taylor Swift.

Back