There may have been 3 contributing factors to most modern Nicktoons not being as popular.

SmythTheCrow

Space Pirate
The title says it all.

1. More people dropping cable.
2. Declining presence at major conventions. (Almost nothing but 90s Nick nostalgia)
3. Nickelodeon treating their shows like garbage. (Pushing them to Nicktoons Network)

What do you think?

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
I do think the internet has a big influence on it. Between the 1950s and the 1990s, television was the prima facie manner in which many industrialized-nation citizens engaged with the outside world. Since the late-90s, the internet has taken that crown, and brought with it a scattering of the homogenous influence that television networks like Nickelodeon once held. Now you can go to a myriad of places (YouTube, Netflix, etc.) to breeze away your free time. Not to mention the fact that Viacom withdrew their shows from Netflix years ago; deals like that just amount to less viewership, because rather than search out ways to find Nickelodeon shows, kids and adults both are more likely to simply find something else to watch.

spongedude said:
I do think the internet has a big influence on it. Between the 1950s and the 1990s, television was the prima facie manner in which many industrialized-nation citizens engaged with the outside world. Since the late-90s, the internet has taken that crown, and brought with it a scattering of the homogenous influence that television networks like Nickelodeon once held. Now you can go to a myriad of places (YouTube, Netflix, etc.) to breeze away your free time. Not to mention the fact that Viacom withdrew their shows from Netflix years ago; deals like that just amount to less viewership, because rather than search out ways to find Nickelodeon shows, kids and adults both are more likely to simply find something else to watch.
Those are some pretty fancy words

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Pretty much all the reasons are listed in this thread. TV is a dying media, no matter how much you want it to not be, it is. It's cheaper for the network to crank out tons of Live Action shows over animated content.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Makes sense to me. Nick never advertises. But it seems that barely any networks advertise well anymore. I don't think people dropping cable is as much of a problem, due to iTunes, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
I think they should make TV worth being paid for instead of it just dying. I don't like digital media. Streaming services don't have much on it IMO, and I'd rather stick with having TV thank you very much.

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
Honest Canadian Cartoon said:
No matter how much it goes downhill I'll forever go cable before I go to streaming services.
I think cable is here to stay for a long time. As long as people make TV shows for networks, and companies make advertisements to air their products on networks, cable will be fine.

Back