Barbies VS Action Figures - Discuss!

MrColeslaw

Balloon Traveler
Definitely a weird question, but with something I just recently purchased, and an oddly gender-biased opinion from a friend, it seemed like a good time for me to type this all out. Don't be surprised if you laugh or feel silly reading this, I know that I did.

Now, I don't intend on starting any sort of gender based war, but growing up as a kid, many of the people in my town, and even classes, considered action figures to be for guys, and Barbies for girls. Never really got involved with either in school, but at home, it was a bit different.

See, I have an older sister, and usually, she'd get first pick of toys, as she was the more behaved and elder sibling. Made sense, never had an issue with it. So, 90% of the time, this meant Barbies, and lots of em. Now, I did have some action figures, but oddly, I never had much fun with em. I always either lost or broke them, and the lack of possibility to change em just really disinterested me. More often than not, once you bought em, there was no going back - it was that same figure (unless you decided to paint it, or something).

My sister used to basically force me to play Barbies with her, but honestly, it was fun. With the figures, it was usually an accessory, that's it. The Barbies came with (based on memory) accessories, sometimes set pieces, and even changeable clothes.

CHANGEABLE.

That has always stuck out to me, as not only did it allow for something s bit new, but it opened my childhood imagination, so to speak. It's hard to explain, but there just felt like there was more to do. Of course, this may be a "right time, right place" thing, as I always played Barbies with my sis, an action figures on my own, during a time when we weren't getting along.

Now, would I go buying em now? God no. I have one, and it's because it's High School Musical (and on top of that, my favorite character, Gabriella) and that's fine. I was just curious as to whether others had similar situations as a kid.

Aren't Barbies just larger scale action figures, anyway? ;)

Peace out, homeslices.

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
I've never liked action figures. TBH I don't get the appeal. Dolls on the other hand, I was a fan of. I think I loved the hair the most because I could brush it and pretend to give it crazy hairstyles. I was more interested in breaking action figures. I think I had one of a spy or something and I found that I could break the arms off. Never played with it anyway, so I broke it.

I've played with Barbies before, but I wasn't a fan of the Barbie brand; I preferred having Disney Princess dolls. My sisters have had many Disney dolls in the past and I've always ended up playing with them (out of irony the youngest likes action figures and sports, so I always had the opportunity to take her dolls and play with them myself).

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
Never really had any action figures as a kid (of the GI Joe type); my baby sister, of course, had a few Barbie dolls. I did collect miniature sports figurines (Headliners, if anyone remembers those; kind of a 90s thing), and more than a couple Beanie Babies back when that was a huge fad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMxTFqPET5I

:P

EDIT: To my memory, LEGO (especially Star Wars' Legos) was the favorite interactive, figurine-type toy that my brother and I liked to play with as kids. We had a lot of fun trying to make stop-motion films with those, and having miniature battles with vehicles getting blown up (crashed into the wall).

MrColeslaw

Balloon Traveler
I've played with Barbies before, but I wasn't a fan of the Barbie brand; I preferred having Disney Princess dolls. My sisters have had many Disney dolls in the past and I've always ended up playing with them (out of irony the youngest likes action figures and sports, so I always had the opportunity to take her dolls and play with them myself).

We're the two lines different? My sister really only got the Disney ones (princesses and High School Musical immediately come to mind), didn't realize they were too different. Guess it's my faded childhood memory. :P

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
Hudgegratskid said:
We're the two lines different? My sister really only got the Disney ones (princesses and High School Musical immediately come to mind), didn't realize they were too different. Guess it's my faded childhood memory. :P
I mean I always approached it as a thing where you've got your Barbie dolls with the Barbie logo on the front and then you've got the Disney dolls that they sell in the parks and Disney Stores. Probably aren't visually different, but I viewed it by the name on the box.

Back