DVDs - Do You Think They'll Die Out In The Future?

Do You Think DVDs Will Die Out In The Future?

• Total voters

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
I've been wanting to make a topic involving DVDs for a while, but I've been contemplating which angle to approach it from. But, I've given it some thought and came to the conclusion that my original plan was the best one to follow.

So, yes, DVDs. We buy 'em to watch movies and shows when we want them instantly, relieving us from having to wait for it to be watchable on TV.

But...have you ever thought about how long DVDs will last? Probably not, but you know...let's think about it anyway! :P

Given that DVDs essentially surpassed the VHS, is it possible that DVDs may give way to a more superior form? I must admit, I was going to say that the "superior form" was Blu-Ray, but the two seem to co-exist right now. However, Blu-Ray is most certainly not a standard in a majority of households that do not own a Blu-Ray player...or one of the two important 8th Gen gaming consoles (or the PS3). So...one way to approach the question is: do you think Blu-Rays will eventually overtake DVDs as the standard?

And considering how popular streaming is, DVDs appear to be as irrelevant as ever, its manual restrictions setting us back when we could be otherwise using streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, NowTV, etc. and have access to a greater range of films and television programs.

But you get the point, so let's end the essay-esque introduction already - I personally don't think DVDs will die out, but I'm not crossing out the idea that it's a possibility. I think they will one day just cease to exist, akin to the VHS.

So what about you guys?

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
DVDs aren't going to die anytime soon. While they will be on a slow decline (As they have been since the beginning of this decade), I don't expect to see them gone until the 30s at least. DVDs were a large improvement over VHS tapes (No matter how nostalgic you are for VHS tapes, you can't deny DVDs are a superior product, with room for more bonus features, a feature allowing you to completely skip scenes, rather than having to fast forward over them, they're better preserved than tapes, better quality in terms of it's imagery, the scene selection option, it's more portable, etc.). Blu-rays may be better than DVDs, but they're not as large of an improvement over DVDs, as DVDs were to VHS tapes. Blu-Ray can just store more content within itself than DVDs, nothing else is really special about them. Netflix relies on DVDs for it's movie delivery service, which surprisingly enough, is still a system that does well to this day.

Growlie

Best Boy
The other thing I think died out is audio commentary. Some Dvd's I've gotten don't have audio commentary, and listening to audio commentary is a favorite past time of mine.

mythix super saiyan 4

the only good parts of sbm are the skins and tradi
it would be dumb to get rid of them because remember not everyone has internet and with streaming services they can take them off plus they have stuff you don't want and you know in dvds you can have bonus games

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Could somebody tell me what people mean by streaming services? I keep hearing people say that, but the only "streaming" I can think of is stuff like Twitch streams and I highly doubt that the future of watching Movies and TV Shows is going to be people streaming them for the whole world to watch for whatever reason.

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
Wintermelon43 said:
Could somebody tell me what people mean by streaming services? I keep hearing people say that, but the only "streaming" I can think of is stuff like Twitch streams and I highly doubt that the future of watching Movies and TV Shows is going to be people streaming them for the whole world to watch for whatever reason.
Streaming services come in all shapes and sizes. You've got your music-streaming services (iTunes, Spotify) and movie/TV-streaming services (Netflix, Hulu - both of which I've already explicitly pointed out as being streaming services in the OP.).

Twitch is the gaming equivalent, I believe (not familiar with it TBH, but I can imagine that it's got its differences.)

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Streaming services come in all shapes and sizes. You've got your music-streaming services (iTunes, Spotify) and movie/TV-streaming services (Netflix, Hulu - both of which I've already explicitly pointed out as being streaming services in the OP.).

Twitch is the gaming equivalent, I believe (not familiar with it TBH, but I can imagine that it's got its differences.)
Yeah, but I don't how this type of streaming works. Why would you stream it? Wouldn't you just want to watch it for yourself and anyone around you that also wants to watch? Why would you stream it for everyone else to watch?

Wintermelon43 said:
Yeah, but I don't how this type of streaming works. Why would you stream it? Wouldn't you just want to watch it for yourself and anyone around you that also wants to watch? Why would you stream it for everyone else to watch?
You don't. You just stream it to your TV.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
Although I love DVDs, the near future for them looks pretty grim. I'd love to still see them around 10 years from now, but when something is outpaced, its shelf life is gonna be cut short at some point.

Toomas

Part Computer or Something
While I don't want them to go, they'll be gone in the future. It mainly depends if the company making them makes a profit.

Katniss

totally coral
I must admit that I don't buy DVDs anymore because I can just stream stuff on my laptop. :P Though streaming is getting increasingly more popular, I know people who still purchase DVDs and I don't think that format will die out anytime soon. Maybe years or decades down the road, but not now or in the near future.

Wintermelon43 said:
I think you're getting the kind of streaming that Netflix/Hulu/Spotify/etc does confused with livestreaming. Streaming doesn't necessarily mean you're broadcasting it to others, while livestreaming on Twitch means you're playing a game for an audience. And the definition of streaming is "transmitting a continuous flow of audio and/or video data while earlier parts are being used." Whatever service you use to stream TV, movies, or music will stream the content across the internet to your computer or phone.

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
The one thing I'm afraid of is the potential decline in extra features that are made specifically for DVD/Blu-Ray. When DVD first caught on, one of its big pulls was the bonus content and behind-the-scenes stuff that viewers got to see. The greater size of DVDs as compared to VHS, and their interactive nature made these bonus features an obvious by-product of the technology itself. Now with streaming, bandwidth is once again a concern, and therefore you're not getting anything but the main attraction, like most VHS. This is fine if you can still go out and buy the full-featured disc, but perhaps in a few decades the market may have evolved to the point where physical discs are no longer being produced, and thus the extra features just won't be made. That would be a pity.

Back