South Park Season 21 Thread

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Since a new South Park season started I guess it makes sense to make a thread to discuss the season. So You can share your thoughts as the season progresses.

Truthfully I thought this episode was extremely underwhelming. When I heard they were going to back to basics approach I was hoping to a return to the season 5-10 style. I guess Matt and Trey had season 17 in mind instead. Not only was their attempt to tackle White Supremacy very lackluster but pretty much nothing was funny. Complete with "satire" of a movie that came out over 3 years ago. I was one of the few people who liked season 20 so I'm probably the last person you want to hear opinions from but this felt like World War Zimmerman. Inane and unfunny.

But it wasn't serialized so 10/10! I really hope the rest of this season is better than this...

I thought the episode was one of the funniest in a while. You can never go wrong with Randy making a show about renovating houses, rednecks becoming like Alexa and Cartman making Alexa say stupid crap. I laughed quite a bit in this episode. However the premise of "change" and "bigotry" has been dealt with in this show multiple times before, it didn't feel refreshing hee. The resolution to Daryl (that bigoted guy) was anti-climatic. Also why did we need conclusion to Cartman and Heidi's relationship this late? They should have broken up in the last episode of s20. Their subplot was nothing but a waste of screentime.

Not a negative to this episode but people complain about this episode still being a commentary on trump. What the creators meant was using trump jokes since many people did it before, they can still tackle his white supremacy world without him in it.

Anyway, I liked this episode, even though the plot was underwhelming.

spongebob pokemonpants said:
wouldn't it just make sense to make a whole thread for south park
to me, south park thread has been dead for centuries.

we mostly discuss new episodes but feel free to discuss older episodes or the overall show

The episode was good, I really liked it. I dislike Season 20 so maybe that's why I disagree but still, I got lots of enjoyment from it. Just so glad serialization is over. I liked Season 18 but this show works much better as an episodic show. It was an interesting experiment but overall a failed one and the resolution of Season 20 was very rushed and felt insufficient to how much it set up. Plus there were only a couple storylines across the season so if you weren't interested in them the whole season was kind of useless. I did get some enjoyment from every episode even if not much so each episode is better than the worst of seasons 11-17, but overall it's definitely the worst whole season of the series. Anyway, as for the episode:

-There were three plots in this episode which I feel is a bit too many but all three were good to some extent
-The Cartman/Heidi subplot was absolutely fantastuc, it really made up for how many jkes from Cartman we missed in the first half of season 20 (I can't stand nice Cartman, even if the twist in the second half of the season was pretty funny and one of the better parts of the season)
-The Randy plot was probably my favorite. My mom watches those home renovation shows all the time and the parody of them was perfect, so many good jokes came out of it. Also like how it tied in with the Alexa/protester story
-The other story with Daryl and the other protesters was probably the worst. It was still good but I was hoping for some better satire on the Charlottesville riots than just rehashing the DEY TUK ER JABS joke. great resolution tho

9/10 overall

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
Hmm...so, people weren't 100% on board with the premiere? I mean, I haven't watched it yet - recording it tomorrow - so I'm looking forward to that.

But I've read the Wikipedia entry for the episode cuz I love spoiling things like this for myself, and I dunno what to make of it. Is the Cartman/Heidi plot really that interesting? Doesn't seem to be all that worth it, and for the relationship to just end at the end at the episode? Come on...honestly, it would have been a better idea to perhaps wait a few episodes before breaking them up - let them each flourish as characters and create even more of a divide between them. I'm pretty sure nobody cared about the relationship when watching this episode anyway, but if more attention was brought to it in this season than what's actually happened then it'd likely get us to care; get us to root for a break-up or something of the sort.

Don't know what to make of the Randy plot TBH...given so many of the show's topics cover events happening in the US, I'm never one to actually get what is going on, but kudos to the show for getting me to research these things as well. But from what I've read, the Randy plot just seems to follow any other Randy plot, so...that's a good thing, I guess.

But I will make a point of this - I feel like I'm the only one who'll miss some sort of serialization. Sure, there's great consistency in episodes anyway, but still...South Park is capable of a serialized storyline - last season's was all out of whack once T***p became president because they were banking on Clinton to win. As long as they have a storyline of a broad concept worth covering to death (why I liked Season 19) and isn't so dependent on future events, it can work.

Loopers

Sportz?
Master WhoBruh said:
I thought the episode was one of the funniest in a while. You can never go wrong with Randy making a show about renovating houses, rednecks becoming like Alexa and Cartman making Alexa say stupid crap. I laughed quite a bit in this episode. However the premise of "change" and "bigotry" has been dealt with in this show multiple times before, it didn't feel refreshing hee. The resolution to Daryl (that bigoted guy) was anti-climatic. Also why did we need conclusion to Cartman and Heidi's relationship this late? They should have broken up in the last episode of s20. Their subplot was nothing but a waste of screentime.

Not a negative to this episode but people complain about this episode still being a commentary on trump. What the creators meant was using trump jokes since many people did it before, they can still tackle his white supremacy world without him in it.

Anyway, I liked this episode, even though the plot was underwhelming.
yeah I thought it was dumb to add in the cartman plot, but hey, at least they broke up, no more relationship ::dolphin noise::

now cartman can go back to his former self :P

LET IT SHRIVEL UP AND DIE said:
I thought it was lame as ::dolphin noise::.
felt the same

i rewatched it tho and i really liked it

TheGreatServer

NOT a Bunny now!
It's an okay start.

Everything past Season 12 or so has been awful in my opinion, I'm not a fan of this show anyway.

sbl

totally active
Kind of boring, but loved "White People Renovating Houses" because of how many damn flipping shows are on HGTV

TheJasbre202

Jasbre
White People Renovating Houses reminded me so much of the episode Cream Freache, Randy's great again. This show is funny again. Now all we need is Trump Garrison to step down, and some other minor stuff and this show's back to it's old funny satirical ways.

i'd like to note, when I got season 20 on blu-ray, I only ended up watching like, 1 episode, and that's it, and i usually marathon the new season, but this season was so bad imo.

CartoonJazzLover

Balloon Traveler
It's already an improvement over season 20, imo. That's all I gotta say. Although the cartman/heidi hurt the episode a bit

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Interesting responses. I'm glad others enjoyed this episode but the humor here just felt like terrible versions of older jokes to me. Oh well.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
The new episode was actually really good. Shocked it could come directly after last week's farce.

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
TheLocalAquatic said:
Hmm...so, people weren't 100% on board with the premiere? I mean, I haven't watched it yet - recording it tomorrow - so I'm looking forward to that.

But I've read the Wikipedia entry for the episode cuz I love spoiling things like this for myself, and I dunno what to make of it. Is the Cartman/Heidi plot really that interesting? Doesn't seem to be all that worth it, and for the relationship to just end at the end at the episode? Come on...honestly, it would have been a better idea to perhaps wait a few episodes before breaking them up - let them each flourish as characters and create even more of a divide between them. I'm pretty sure nobody cared about the relationship when watching this episode anyway, but if more attention was brought to it in this season than what's actually happened then it'd likely get us to care; get us to root for a break-up or something of the sort.

Don't know what to make of the Randy plot TBH...given so many of the show's topics cover events happening in the US, I'm never one to actually get what is going on, but kudos to the show for getting me to research these things as well. But from what I've read, the Randy plot just seems to follow any other Randy plot, so...that's a good thing, I guess.

But I will make a point of this - I feel like I'm the only one who'll miss some sort of serialization. Sure, there's great consistency in episodes anyway, but still...South Park is capable of a serialized storyline - last season's was all out of whack once T***p became president because they were banking on Clinton to win. As long as they have a storyline of a broad concept worth covering to death (why I liked Season 19) and isn't so dependent on future events, it can work.
I'm late the party in regards to the premiere, but screw it, it's better I did this sooner than later.

Yeah, everything I had said was essentially how I felt to the episode. I liked it, but I think only the Randy plot can be credited here; both Randy and the rednecks were hilarious in their own ways; my favorite scene would have to be the whole Jim Bob moment - loved that!!! If there was one thing I wasn't fond of, it was Sharon. She's just...there. I mean, she's doing things, sure, but it's not really upfront in comparison to Randy. I understand that her personality isn't as bubbly as her husband's, but still...we've seen her be more proactive in things. God, seeing Randy pose with a stiff Sharon with the "White People Renovating Houses" title was a little bit of a cringe for me.

The Cartman/Heidi/Alexa plot was kinda stupid. I mean, I understood there was strain in their relationship on Cartman's part from last season, but...seriously? One episode in this season and he's...bored of Heidi, and wants to break up with her already...? Cartman just feels different in this season already, and I have never openly loathed a Cartman-related plotline before.

And yeah, I expect T***p commentary being made in future episodes. Look, it's inevitable. Man's the freakin' President for crying out loud, and clearly things are happening because of that. South Park can't just ignore it. They just need to find a way to efficiently integrate it into the season.

Hoping the Creek episode (which I can watch tomorrow!) is better, because this was a little underwhelming.
(Have spoiled this too...looks better-ish. Again, the Cartman thing might ruin it for me.)

The last episode was one of the funniest they have done in a while. Tweak x Craig was my favorite episode of season 19 but I was skeptical that they were gonna do a sequel of this and the premise of Tweek and Craig dealing with issues worried me but they did a great job with this episode. Unlike last episode, the resolution to the plot worked and trump was used better here. Many people worry so much about the fact that Trump pisses off Kim Jong Un that Kim Jong is gonna launch missles and at first this episode was going with message that people should stop worrying so much but I'm glad the message was the fact that we should comfort those who are afraid and concerned. And that's exactly what Craig did at the end of this episode. The second main topic this episode tackled was using phone while driving a car and I'm glad this show decided to tackle with that issue. It concerns me that while I'm on the road, many people don't even think about looking at the road and they just focus on their own phone, so this episode spoke to me. My only complaint with this was that running gag of kids getting hit by cars. First time, it worked as a serious moment and then the episode went a bit too much with this and that was tasteless. Other than that, this episode had tons of funny parts. Cartman was like his old self again, seeing him trying to get attention by fake suicide rumors cracked me up, especially to PC Principal for not giving a crap about Cartman. I'm disappointed that him and Heidi are back together but It makes me happy that Heidi is being more aware of Cartman's horrid behaviour. The rap song by Cartman and the song at the end were all funny, I died when they showed the kids that died by car, Kenny was there. Kenny was also hit by a car and we didn't even see that happening, what a clever way to joke about Kenny dying again. Garrison's tweets about Tweet, Tweeks dad trying to calm down Tweek with fidget spinners and kids laughing at Cartman's suicidal voice message were other funny parts of this episode.

I was impressed by the humor and the commentary on this episode and I hope season 21 will go with the same route.

Grade: A

Back