Character Shipping?

Supmandude

Squog
I don't like nonsense shipping in fiction, like SpongeBob and Sandy or Patrick and Gary or anything like that, but I like ships like Mr. and Mrs. SpongeBob's Parents Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff, Patrick and Mindy, and Plankton and Karen, because all of those make sense and are close to canon. (Although, Mindy didn't show that she liked Patrick, I think it's a good idea, because if he married her, he might become king again like in Rule of Dumb, which would be funnny.)

Also, another opinion I have is that people shouldn't complain that shippings that were never hinted at aren't in the show, such as Plankton and Mr. Krabs, SpongeBob and Sandy, and Squidward and Rocky. Some people get mad at writers for not having SpongeBob get married for some reason and makes no sense to me.

What are your thoughts on shipping and things like that?

CherrySponge

There can only be one 'Jellyfishing King!'
Fighting against 'The Pods' with my good friends '
I like SpongeBob and Sandy's friendship-type relationship best. I also like Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff, and Patrick and Mindy, and I think the couple that would be the most likely to get married would be Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff. I wouldn't want any drastic changes made to the show so that people wouldn't want to watch it. I want it to be like one of those family cartoons that everyone can appreciate. Sounds good to me.

nortonstime

Floating Shopping List
Unfortunately Spongebob/Squidward ("Squidbob") is already close to being canon....

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
Shipping is harmless, in my opinion. Shipping characters doesn't mean the show's gonna make them real, so I encourage people to ship whatever the shell they want. It's a shame when people look down on others just because of the pairings they ship. It's a petty judgment that doesn't, and shouldn't, ruin your overall outlook on the show.

From personal experience, I used to be a Spandy shipper. I stopped because I did lose interest in the two as a romantic couple and haters of the ship were getting on my nerves (mostly just this one guy who would go around DA commenting mean-spirited things on other people's Spandy artwork and that absolutely ruined it for me).

Also I'm a big yoai shipper, so...there's that too. But aside from the idea of Krabs x Plankton and SpongeBob x Squidward none of the yoai pairings for characters in this show really interest me at all.

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
i am pretty neutral on shipping like, for the most part it's whatever

but i do hold the opinion that karen needs to break up with plankton and start dating sandy bc let's face it that would be a far more healthy relationship then whatever karen is going through right now

mythix super saiyan 4

the only good parts of sbm are the skins and tradi
Greek Chorus said:

but i do hold the opinion that karen needs to break up with plankton and start dating sandy bc let's face it that would be a far more healthy relationship then whatever karen is going through right now
really that would be odd for a pairing

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector

The general public's reactions if both of Nicklodeon's main cartoon shows had a gay couple in them would be scary.

mythix super saiyan 4

the only good parts of sbm are the skins and tradi
SpongeFan257 said:
And yet the show expects us to believe a protozoan has a thing for a computer.
I think we're good either way :xP:
come on it's plankton were talking about he spends all his time trying to steal a sandwitch

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
Trophy said:
Go onto tumblr, find a ship that's moreso one-sided obsession between two straight people (or the obsesser is bi or doesn't really care) and say they aren't gay. I dare you.
I feel terrible for asking, but could you possibly reiterate? I'm not sure I quite fully comprehend.

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
SpongeFan257 said:
I feel terrible for asking, but could you possibly reiterate? I'm not sure I quite fully comprehend.
Shipping wars my friend, I'll use letters since referring to the characters pretty much spoil the entire series and since it's a mystery one some people would be disappointed in that :p

Character A is generally obsessed with both talent and a trait that Character B possesses to the point of worshipping it in a twisted manner, and even though it's a common trait Character B is agreed upon by everyone as the "Ultimate" of that and has the potential to use that trait and talent to save the world. However he's pretty much insane and was prety influential in twisting things to potentially make this trait stronger, and Character B is against that. Think of A as an obsesssive antihero who's deluded into thinking their actions are the best ones when they're clearly not.

Yet SOMEHOW people ship those two together and I'm pretty convinced it's just because they're the two main male characters and some fans are vicious, so no shipping is not harmless. I was only responding to that :p

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
Trophy said:
Shipping wars my friend, I'll use letters since referring to the characters pretty much spoil the entire series and since it's a mystery one some people would be disappointed in that :P

Character A is generally obsessed with both talent and a trait that Character B possesses to the point of worshipping it in a twisted manner, and even though it's a common trait Character B is agreed upon by everyone as the "Ultimate" of that and has the potential to use that trait and talent to save the world. However he's pretty much insane and was prety influential in twisting things to potentially make this trait stronger, and Character B is against that. Think of A as an obsesssive antihero who's deluded into thinking their actions are the best ones when they're clearly not.

Yet SOMEHOW people ship those two together and I'm pretty convinced it's just because they're the two main male characters and some fans are vicious, so no shipping is not harmless. I was only responding to that :P
Yeah, that's a little clearer now. :thumbsup:

I feel like shipping is a rather complex thing in some aspects; there are different reasons why people may ship two characters: the chemistry they have makes them think of them as a couple; the dynamic between them is interesting enough to these people to try applying in context of a relationships, or maybe even personal identification/relateability for either of the two previous examples. I mean, some people just ship pairings just because they like them, and that's cool as well; pairings don't really require too much of an explanation - people ship it just because, and unless they're asked, others aren't interested in why they're so invested in two particular characters being in a relationship.

Interesting thing I want to say - I did end up looking up part of the first comment of yours in Google ("ship that's moreso one-sided obsession between two straight people") and one of the results took me into some familiar territory - a DeviantArt user's essay on why they shipped Kyman - a popular South Park ship involving two of the show's characters that are often portrayed in the show as having a mutual dislike/rivalry. The essay is long (very long...I admittedly didn't bother reading most of it), and covers what she says are the psychological aspects of the pairing and how Kyle and Cartman make her OTP. Honestly, I felt like perhaps there was way too much detail - it is just a ship after all - but it makes you see a whole new angle of this situation; what someone who ships the pairing has to say in their defense. I admire the effort, even if it wasn't necessary.

Shipping wars though...ugh, I don't think I considered this when saying shipping was harmless. But in a way, one's personal experience with a ship prone to a shipping war may not be all that toxic. My major concern with shipping wars is that each side has to make a point about why their ship is the superior one, and that takes away from the whole point of shipping, from my viewpoint - it's supposed to be fun. Amusing. Something people can do with any characters in a show/movie/game and people just either respect it or leave it alone and not cause a ruckus. These shipping wars also require some base of logic to show that the "superior" pairing actually "works" and "is" canon, and I hate that.

I mean, I find SpongeBob and Squidward to be rather cute together (don't SquidBob, but hey, it's related to the topic and it's a genuine observation of mine besides :xP:) mostly due to SpongeBob's fondness of Squidward and their contrasting personalities. In my mind, this makes for a very interesting dynamic that someone could use if they were to ship them as a couple; what I don't like is when people try and justify the pairing and saying things like "oh SpongeBob is so gay for Squidward" and then list these reasons. It doesn't justify anything; the show's presenting us with a rather ambiguous friendship dynamic between these two, and it is those who like them as a couple who take this in a more romantic context for their own fulfillment. There's nothing wrong with that provided it's just not used to say "it's totally there". Because it's not.

But people are funny. Pairings can't exist without some sort of commotion in the community. Literally any community. So, I suppose in that regard the ship itself is harmless, but it's the people who approach it who make it so (or, they're the ones who are harmful). Ships are just for fun and people just need to stop taking them seriously. They mean almost nothing when it comes to the actual show/movie/game and it's really just a product of the fanbase. Its worth, as such, is determined by us as individuals and has no base value within the actual source material. Several different ships out there, good, bad, and crazy, are all just the product of the interpretations people have towards any pair of characters.

So, umm...yeah. That's everything I have to say about the whole pairings ordeal right now.
(Didn't expect it to be lengthy, or to be overtly serious, but here we are.)

Night-Waker

Moby Dollar
I don't mind shipping since it's just people having fun. I say if it makes you happy, then go for it.

It's when they try shoving their ships/opinions down other people's throats or attack others for liking/not liking a ship that it starts being a problem.

Back