How Do You Feel About Ben Gruber's Episodes?

SuperFan2024

Part Computer or Something
He's known for writing many of TTG!'s season 2, 3, and 4's episodes, so I wanted to ask you all, how do you feel about his episodes in Spongebob so far?

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
SuperFan2024 said:
Like in the beginning of Out of the Picture, Squidward calls everyone dummies just because they haven't bought his paintings. I thought that that felt out of place and a little too rude, even for Squidward.
Lmao there's an entire season 2 episode where Squidward crushes SpongeBob's artistic dreams and you think this is OOC? That's probably one of the few in-character moments for Squidward in season 10.

mythix super saiyan 4

the only good parts of sbm are the skins and tradi
SuperFan2024 said:
Eh, i'm definitely not a fan of Ben Gruber's episodes. They are just way too cruel and rude for something like Spongebob. Now, i'm not saying that Spongebob has never gotten rude or has had dark moments before, but the ones in Gruber's episodes are just a little too much for me. Like in the beginning of Out of the Picture, Squidward calls everyone dummies just because they haven't bought his paintings. I thought that that felt out of place and a little too rude, even for Squidward. There are other moments/examples like this in more of Gruber's episodes.

To give some background, Ben Gruber used to be a writer for Teen Titans Go! (some of season 2, the majority of season 3, and some of season 4 before leaving onto Spongebob for whatever reason). His rude humor can obviously be seen through the work he has done for TTG!, and so I feared of his work on Spongebob when I first saw his name for season 10. I really hope he turns down the disgustingness, violence, and rude humor on Spongebob, because that's not what Spongebob was all about. Now, i'm not saying that I own Spongebob nor work on it so it shouldn't be my priority to criticize writers on the show, but all i'm asking is to tone down on the rude humor.

I'm probably going to be more reluctant in watching his later episodes, but i'll still give them a try I guess.
so trying to get patrick and sb killed reading sb's diary both work and personal diary are way worse rhan calling people dummies

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
SuperFan2024 said:
Like in the beginning of Out of the Picture, Squidward calls everyone dummies just because they haven't bought his paintings. I thought that that felt out of place and a little too rude, even for Squidward.
That seems like one of the least-ooc things I've seen Squidward do in this whole new era of SpongeBob. :sbface:

Ben Gruber is a bad writer though. He's the reason why I can't stand most of his work and Season 3 and 4 of TTG in general.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Aquamarine said:
bEN grUbEr iS A bAd wrIteR thOuGh
NVwsJJi.png

SuperFan2024

Part Computer or Something
Well, since none of you are even considering most about what I said in the OP, and/or not even understanding what I am trying to say or prove, then focus on the the title and question of the thread please.

How do you feel about Ben Gruber's episodes in Spongebob so far? He's notorious for many of Teen Titans Go!'s season 3 and 4 episodes, so here's why I am asking this question. Simple as that.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
I personally think it's the placebo effect that ruins Ben's episodes for me. Before I knew he was a writer for TTG, I didn't think much of his episodes, whereas now I can see flaws in them. It kind of taints the experience. It's like knowing the creator of Ned's Declassified was also the creator of Johnny Test.

ScumBob

sicko m0de
McSponge said:
I personally think it's the placebo effect that ruins Ben's episodes for me. Before I knew he was a writer for TTG, I didn't think much of his episodes, whereas now I can see flaws in them. It kind of taints the experience. It's like knowing the creator of Ned's Declassified was also the creator of Johnny Test.
ned's declassified is flawed just because they were created by the same person?

what?

mythix super saiyan 4

the only good parts of sbm are the skins and tradi
McSponge said:
so a show is taited cause they worked on a bad show i am speechless

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
so a show is taited cause they worked on a bad show i am speechless

That's more of an over exaggeration of what I said, but essentially the mind keeps in memory the writer's other work, and whether that work is mostly good (Like C.H or Kyle) or bad (Like Casey or Zeus), your expectations of an upcoming episode will rely on the writer's past work. If a writer can write awesome episodes and awful episodes (Like Aaron Springer), so you don't know what to generally expect from him. The reason I say this is because a lot of people bring up TTG into their opinion on Ben on this thread. This causes his mistakes to be pointed out more over the mistakes of writers with a better writing history like Kaz (Though his episodes have gotten worse over time).

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
So far they're okay. My favorite is probably Krusty Katering though, and that's a good episode. He seems to blend in with the other writers.

Back