What games/sports do you/did you play in gym class?

PinkPearl

insert title here
Er...I think this is where this thread goes?

A few memorable ones on my end...
Matball: Baseball, but you kicked the ball instead of hitting it and several guys were allowed on base at a time. I liked this one until everyone (aka the guys who thought they were in the Olympics) got in fights over it and we had to stop playing it.

Volleyball. Yeah, this looks fun until you realize it's really hard to serve.

Skunk Tag: I still cringe. If you got tagged you had to go to the center of the room and shout "I'm a skunk!" This was not easy to do when your crush was also playing. Other versions of tag: stuck in the mud, amoeba tag, blob tag, etc.

Handball: soccer with a smaller ball and you had to hit the wall instead of kick it into a goal. Also fun, especially since we had tournaments and people got to sit down a lot.

Cup stacking. I was decent at this except for one phase at the end.

Dance choreography. Electric Slide or Stayin' Alive, anyone? We also did routines to Hey Ya and Help! Never looked at those songs the same way again.

Frisbee Golf: I was terrible at Frisbee throwing and needless to say this didn't go well. Another game where I was fortunate (not!) to have my crush on my team.

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
Oh man, some of these games were part of my childhood. Anyway...
-8 Base: It's a variation of kickball, but the maximum number of people that could be on one of the stops is 8. (hence the name) Similar to matball. Pretty fun if you ask me, but we had to stop playing it because someone kicked the ball too high and broke one of the pipes. (We had 2 gyms at the time, so it's not too bad, and the old gym got repaired.)

-Cup Stacking: I was mediocre at it, but it was still fun.

-Shark Island: 4 players stand at each corner of the gym as the "sharks" with hula hoops and "coconuts" (foam balls). The islanders try to steal the "coconut" from the sharks without getting tagged. If they are tagged, they go to the "hospital" (on one of the walls), and the islanders that receive a coconut can rescue one person out of the hospital.

-Capture the Flag: Now THIS is my type of game. I was always the one that made a run to grab the ball.

-Ultimate frisbee: Yeah, I suck at throwing frisbees so I didn't enjoy this one that much.

-Never Out Softball: We played this one a lot in grade school. It plays by regular softball rules but you never got out.

-Socketball: What would happen if soccer and basketball got together and had a baby? Well, this is that game. If the ball lands on the floor, we play soccer, and if someone touches the ball with their hands, it's basketball.

-Scooterball: You had to sit on these scooters and kick balls to the goal. Pretty fun for the most part.
(Here are the scooters if you wanna know)
SWW4496_C.jpg

-Midnight Confusion: I remember this one back in middle school. It's a lot like Capture the Flag, but each team starts out with 3 deflated balls. Not to mention, it takes place in the dark, which adds to the game's fun.

-And this one game where you throw rubber piggies at bowling pins, I think it was "Bowling Pin Football"

And of course regular sports like volleyball, soccer, flag football, basketball, baseball, softball, tennis, badminton, the list goes on.

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
I don't remember the exact names of all the games, but i'll go in detail

-I remember playing a game in elementary school, where we rode around in scooters and hide in boxes, and the gym teacher spun us around.

-There was some track where we went around in little scooters and we went in a path and did opsticles along the way.

-Stay in the Lines: It's basically a game where you have to on the gym lines. (Anyone could do that)

-Matball: I still play this game in the high school, it's like kickball, but indoors.

-There was a dancing unit in 5th Grade, where someone came in and taught us how to dance to songs.

-Halloween Finder: A game where we go out and find your halloween character (ghost, which, etc,) underneath cones and the first one to find them all, wins.

-Bowling: In high school, I get to go to the bowling alley, which isn't too far.

-Cup Stacking: I was actually pretty good at it back in 4th grade.

-Capture the Flag: Most all of you should know what this is by now. That game is fun.

That's pretty much all off the top of my head.

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
Holy heck, how did I forget the parachute? I knew it was going to be a good day when the teacher brought it out. And the Jump Rope for Heart game day was also pretty lit.

Moxley♥

We out here in heaven, smoking big doinks in heave
Free-For-All dodgeball was the absolute best game I played in any gym class. Our upstairs gymnasium was huge, and there were about 30 kids in the class. Lined up about 10 dodgeballs in the center, teacher blew the whistle and all hell broke loose. Fun.

Amiaprettygirl

I love the sponge! I need the sponge! ;)
-Dodge ball

-Various versions of tag: one was called colors, so the tager would say a color like red if you where wearing the color you can walk to the other side. the tager then says colors and the other kids would have to try to get to the other side.

-Volleyball

-Scooters: We used to take skipping ropes and drag each other across the room, sometimes you'll fall off and the kid kept going

-trick or treat: they turned off the lights in the gym gave us a flash light and we had to look under cones for "candy" (bean bags)

Then there was the boring things like soccer, touch football, hockey and basketball...these game were boring because my team never knew how to share from elementary to the end of high school :(

-We played this game called omnikin ("four" different color teams one BIG ball) so they yells out a color like purple so the purple team has to work together so that they could catch the ball and yell another teams color.
-One day we were playing and they said my teams color I ran for the ball but none of my other incompetent teammates came :( (I'm really small and that ball is really big)
I had to sit on the bench the rest of class.

Our P.E. coach doesn't care anymore, so we can set down, and do nothing. Which is what 90% of us do.

Katniss

totally coral
In high school we didn't play many games, there was basketball and volleyball but I wasn't that good at either :P When I was younger I remember playing dodgeball (both indoor and outdoor), riding on scooters, hula hooping and jumprope, and kickball.

The Tide and Seeker

Balloon Traveler
Looking back at my elementary and middle school years, I played dodge ball, capture the flag, softball, kick ball, that parachute game, and some variation of tag. What I'm doing now is some team sports like basketball, football, team handball and soccer. We do play dodgeball and capture the flag here and there,

Matball, I always found this one fun even though I was a bad kicker...

CakeCup said:
Oh man, some of these games were part of my childhood. Anyway...
-8 Base: It's a variation of kickball, but the maximum number of people that could be on one of the stops is 8. (hence the name) Similar to matball. Pretty fun if you ask me, but we had to stop playing it because someone kicked the ball too high and broke one of the pipes. (We had 2 gyms at the time, so it's not too bad, and the old gym got repaired.)

-Cup Stacking: I was mediocre at it, but it was still fun.

-Shark Island: 4 players stand at each corner of the gym as the "sharks" with hula hoops and "coconuts" (foam balls). The islanders try to steal the "coconut" from the sharks without getting tagged. If they are tagged, they go to the "hospital" (on one of the walls), and the islanders that receive a coconut can rescue one person out of the hospital.

-Capture the Flag: Now THIS is my type of game. I was always the one that made a run to grab the ball.

-Ultimate frisbee: Yeah, I suck at throwing frisbees so I didn't enjoy this one that much.

-Never Out Softball: We played this one a lot in grade school. It plays by regular softball rules but you never got out.

-Socketball: What would happen if soccer and basketball got together and had a baby? Well, this is that game. If the ball lands on the floor, we play soccer, and if someone touches the ball with their hands, it's basketball.

-Scooterball: You had to sit on these scooters and kick balls to the goal. Pretty fun for the most part.
(Here are the scooters if you wanna know)
SWW4496_C.jpg

-Midnight Confusion: I remember this one back in middle school. It's a lot like Capture the Flag, but each team starts out with 3 deflated balls. Not to mention, it takes place in the dark, which adds to the game's fun.

-And this one game where you throw rubber piggies at bowling pins, I think it was "Bowling Pin Football"

And of course regular sports like volleyball, soccer, flag football, basketball, baseball, softball, tennis, badminton, the list goes on.
OMG I remember those scooters from elementary school!

BobCarotte

meep
A lot:

Soccer
Basketball
Volleyball
Tennis
Bodybuilding
Running
Dodgeball
Kickball
Tag
Swimming (yes my school had a pool)
Etc.

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
Let's see...
  • Football (Soccer to you Americans...) - Not my favorite sport, but I normally played defense (code for 'I spent the whole match talking to the other gay kids who didn't give a Krusty Krab XD')
  • Rugby - I spent more time running away from the ball, and staying out of the way as much as possible.
  • Long Runs - As a slow runner, the 1600m run was a nightmare. Yet I did it in less than an hour on two separate occasions.
  • Basketball - Liked this one. I was one of the taller ones in my little squad.
  • Table Tennis* - THIS WAS THE BEST!!! Although I had/have a tendency to hit the ball too hard and completely hit it in the wrong direction.
  • Dance - We did like a James Bond-esque routine, being an all-boys class. I'd rather learn the Single Ladies choreo XD
  • Gymnastics - My flexibility was put to good use, although I did have to be barefoot, which I hate.
  • Swimming - I only ever did this for ONE YEAR before getting out of all subsequent lessons in the remainder of my secondary school lessons.
  • Volleyball - Yep, this was fun!
  • Dodgeball - I HATED BEING IN AN ALL-GUYS P.E. CLASS FOR THIS!! EVERYONE IS COMPETITIVE! (except the gay ones, who stood on the sidelines intentionally to get out of it.)
* = I still do this in Sixth Form
All these games/sports are from my years at secondary school.

Cha

I love SBM
My favorite was probably kickball, wish more adults did it.

Delta Stream

тhє fιєѕту qυιℓανα
I played badminton in high school back in junior year. Then I transitioned to volleyball and played it more often until the end of senior year.

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
I won't try and remember every single sport we played in middle school and high school phys. ed., but I recall liking badminton and dodgeball the most (and flag football, of course).

Back