Re-Evaluating my opinions on SpongeBob Season 1-8

• Please log in to reply
1035 replies to this topic

#1026 EmployeeAMillion

CAN’T WAKE UP.jpg

• Members
  • 2720 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

Glove World R.I.P. (Season 8, Episode 20b)
Original Airdate: April 3 2012
Episode 330 in standard order, Episode 324 in airing order
Plot: SpongeBob and Patrick make the best of Glove World’s last day of operation
Written by Aaron Springer and Dani Michaeli

[titlecard]172B[/titlecard]
Title Card Music: Unknown Track 17

Have you ever had that place which meant a lot to you, but it ended up closing at the wrong time? This episode deals with that problem with the right location, Glove World. Ignoring just how good a theme park feels, it wasn’t a location visited often on the show, with only 4 appearances before its closing, only two of which explored a new ride and made good use of the location, Roller Cowards and Tunnel of Glove. I guess it was SpongeBob’s personality that made us exaggerate Glove World’s importance, as he seems like the kind of person who’d love the place to death. His love for it is pushed to the test here, which makes for a good story on a surface level, but how can it go wrong?

The story gets off to an odd start. A rollercoaster part flies into SpongeBob’s house as he’s reading in his library, and is informed that today’s the last day of Glove World’s operation. If this really is its last day, why hasn’t SpongeBob been informed yet? He and Patrick were ecstatic upon hearing about the Firey Fist-O-Pain, so why are they so late in finding out about the park closing? It all seems to happen on the same day, as Patrick doesn’t bother drying and clothing himself after being informed in the shower, and goes there naked. This leads into my big complaint with the story, that for the most part, SpongeBob and Patrick are idiots. I wouldn’t want to sympathise with them when they scream twice at the confirmation that it’s closing, and proceed to make dragged out glove puns when Patrick puts a glove on as shorts.

The next portion of the story is just a string of gags following a basic routine. SpongeBob and Patrick hop on a ride for the last time, and it malfunctions. They go on some pretty generic rides to boot, like teacups and a pirate ship, with the only laughs coming from the occasionally glove pun. It’s clear that the plot just slows down at this point to show off this routine, but minus the change in location, it’s repetitive and doesn’t offer much character-wise. The two just remain sad that Glove World’s closing and all the rides end in disaster, not learning to get out asap. It’s not horribly boring, but it doesn’t keep your interest for long, and definitely won’t keep a child’s.

A while later, their rose-tinted glasses come off and they realise that Glove World isn’t what it used to be, so they try and fix it. This leads into an admittedly worse set of events where they ruin the rides, and speed up the process of everyone wanting to go home. SpongeBob doesn’t seem to have bad ideas, briefly being a wacky mirror and speeding up the rides, but I don’t understand where Patrick went wrong. He tries to be the mascot at first, but after a while he’s chasing them with a mallet. Sure having him dress in a giant glove makes it a little goofier than a similar circumstance in Out of the Picture, but it still feels like a nonsensical joke that only makes him look stupider.

Because of their failure to keep visitors interested or safe, SpongeBob and Patrick become the last two people standing in the park. Instead of growing up though, they chain themselves to the entrance until it’s re-opened, at which point the owner reveals that the big reason Glove World’s closing is because the brand new Glove Universe. This feels like a twist that was pulled put of someone’s tunnel of glove, because there was no indication of it beforehand. Shouldn’t there have been at least one advertisement for GU in World? The big pan across showing all its bells and whistles also feels like a tease, since SpongeBob and Patrick are chained up and can’t move. Even if they weren’t that good as characters, it’s a shame to see them not get a happy ending for their dedication to the Glove brand.

There are a couple good jokes here, generally of Springer’s absurdist style, like the pirate ride having reserved seats for SpongeBob and Patrick. There are others like SpongeBob offering the people on the damaged rollercoaster some lemonade at the start, some of the glove puns made, and Patrick telling SpongeBob they must remain seated at all times when he tries to jump off the ferris wheel. They don’t make up for the bad jokes however, such as the glove puns going on way too long, dissolving into Patrick just screaming “Glove!”. In fact Patrick in particular has some pretty unfunny jokes. Key mention should go to him chasing some visitors with a mallet because he wanted to test their strength. Then there are jokes that don’t get much of a reaction, like the duo leaving the key to their chains at the bottom of glove lake. Surely someone will eventually see them tied up and rescue them, so why even bring up there being a key?

This is another episode where the animation’s good for the wrong reasons. All the destruction at Glove World as the rides cease operation or outright break has effort placed into it, but it’s uncomfortable having it be the main focus of the episode. It all makes the mood seem more cynical. Granted the story also plays a part in that, but try watching the episode without the visuals and tell me how quickly you feel bummed out. When it finally gives you something dazzling in the form of a wide pan across Glove Universe, it feels like a tease. You’re given this fun, colourful location that’s inaccessible. It doesn’t help matters that it never appears in the show again. Come on Vinny, I know you can get an episode to be set there.

When you’ve watched Post-Movie for long enough, there’s only so much left you can say about how incorrectly a character’s portrayed. SpongeBob and Patrick mean well, but they’re too immature to route for. Special mention for this problem should go to them screaming twice when Glove World’s closing’s confirmed. Sure it sucks that one of their favourite places is leaving, but it’s not right for them to scream about it. You’d think they get better when they try and fix the place, actually doing things and whatnot, but they’re only able to speed up the park’s dismantling and further prove why no one else wants to go there. There isn’t much character here otherwise. The park’s owner has a mild personality trait of being annoyed by the two, but he’s uninteresting because any rational person would be.

On a surface level, this episode has a lot of potential. SpongeBob having to say goodbye to a place he loved could’ve been something heartwarming and meaningful, up there with the ranks of Welcome to the Chum Bucket and Have You Seen This Snail?. It instead focuses too much on the downsides of saying goodbye, forgetting to make any good jokes out of it. Sure there are jokes that work, but they don’t service the story in any way, they’re just the sort that exist to lighten the mood, but don’t last long enough. On top of the downer story, the main characters are annoying as sin and the animation does everything to make the plot just that little bit more drab. Who knew a theme park could look so depressing? It’s not all bad though, as they’re starting to use Glove World again. It seems the burden this episode once carried of being the location’s grand finale has worn off, but it’s still pretty worthless.

Final Verdict: Bad 4/10 (not worth your time)
Yours, Mine and Mine < Glove World R.I.P. < Barnacle Face

Question of the Day: For crying out loud, when’s your Squiditis review coming out?

There’s only ten more episodes left to make you feel sick.
:sbthumbs:

#1027 SpongeBuddyPH

Flying Dutchman's Sock

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:23 PM

Face Freeze didn't scare me well. That episode is good to me.

Question of the Day: What’s your favourite reaction?

Eggplants.

Glove World R.I.P. is decent in my taste and view.

Question of the Day: For crying out loud, when’s your Squiditis review coming out?

I don't know. That episode is pretty decent to me.

#1028 hippythehippo

Imitation Krab

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:31 PM

Glove World RIP is another bad episode for the season. Just wait till IASBC, it'll be all worth it bro.

qotd Tomorrow 

#1029 EmployeeAMillion

CAN’T WAKE UP.jpg

• Members
  • 2720 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:10 PM

Squiditis (Season 8, Episode 21a)
Original Airdate: April 11 2012
Episode 331 in standard order, Episode 330 in airing order
Plot: Squidward fakes being sick to skip work, but that causes complications
Written by Aaron Springer and Derek Iversen

[titlecard]173A[/titlecard]
Title Card Music: Hawaiian Adventures

While it doesn’t sicken me, I hate people who pretend they have colds or diseases to get out of work. It’s just a blatant way to say “I’m lazy”, and it takes a little bit of attention away from sick people who genuinely need care. Because of that, I look back on Squiditis somewhat fondly. Seeing Squidward try to fake his way out of work is a good launchpad into STP territory, given my beliefs. However, the rest of it’s a blur of weak jokes and romantic comedies, so I feared it probably wasn’t that good all-around. Let’s just get to the diagnosis and see if this is still fun.

It starts on a beautiful day that Squidward has too spend cooped up in the Krusty Krab, on a slow day no less. SpongeBob tries to lighten the mood by telling him it’s better than being injured or sick, which gives him the idea to pretend he’s sick. He comes up with “the dreaded case of Squid’s Disease” and frightens SpongeBob with it, playing him like a fiddle for a while. I like this because, despite Squidward having to be the main character and definitely being in the wrong in my eyes, he’s treated like an antihero, doing the wrong things for the right reasons. It’s just silly seeing him think up the disease and its symptoms on the fly, but in a good, improvisational way.

Squidward reports his condition to Mr Krabs, who’s of course skeptical and performs a brief check-up. He and his old navy mentality quickly prove that Squidward’s lying and he’s sent back to work. This all seems to be pretty fine so far. The adult characters are genuinely smart and justice is being served. How can things go south? I guess with SpongeBob overreacting to the fake disease by wearing a gas mask. He’s a childish character of course, but shouldn’t wearing a gas mask at a restaurant be against the law or something? It says outright that the place is unsanitary at best. Squidward pranks him by breathing heavily and sneezing into it, scaring him out of it, which is about the time the story takes a brief nosedive in common sense.

As SpongeBob gets more worried about the Squid’s Disease, Mr Krabs changes his mind and sends Squidward home, despite clearly understanding previously that he was pulling his leg and that there’s no such thing as Squid’s Disease. SpongeBob’s at first relieved to see him going home, but soon discovers he’s contracting some of the symptoms, despite not being a squid (or octopus). He tries out different remedies, which are mostly just things to put his feet in and a way to get away with just showing him goofing around in the kitchen for a solid minute. He’s eventually sent home aswell, most likely just for misbehaving, leaving Mr Krabs to fend for himself against the customers.

The ending of these sorts of episodes is typically where Squidward finally learns his lesson, and this one doesn’t stray too far from that formula, while at least trying to make some jokes. SpongeBob goes over to Squidward’s house to be sick buddies with him and watch romantic comedies, so Squidward snaps out of his charade and rushes back to the Krusty Krab, with SpongeBob in tow. There, Mr Krabs has a hard time keeping up with the workload of two men and eventually falls down, also claiming to have Squid’s Disease. It’s a rather dumb chain of events that leaves the episode on a nonsensical note, that I don’t like to see on something that was character-driven at the start. It’s funny, but it doesn’t feel like the right conclusion.

The best thing about the episode though, is that it’s funny. There are several little things that I found to be funny, like Squidward occasionally coughing to drive home the fact he’s seriously ill, and many of the quips Mr Krabs makes, like after shutting down Squidward’s arguments a couple times with “Mr Krabs nothing!”, he says he’s going to keep doing it. It was a little annoying at first, but I like how Krabs implied this by giving up on it. There’s only one major joke I laughed at though, as in something they really wanted a big laugh from. When Romantic Comedy: The Movie’s finally finished, SpongeBob reveals there are 99 sequels and he has them all on standby. As stupid as the rest of the ending is, I like how this gag raises the energy and the need for Squidward to speed. The rest of the big jokes like Squidward breathing into SpongeBob’s gas mask and SpongeBob deep frying his legs and covering them with pickles juice aren’t that funny.

The animation isn’t very strong here. There aren’t any particularly well-designed characters or immersive fantasies, it just feels like a tame episode animation-wise. I’m pretty glad they didn’t go all-out in making it gross though, with the worst it gets being SpongeBob’s legs deep-fried. The idea of rumours of germs spreading is fine as is, and I’m happy they didn’t make the atmosphere too filthy here.

If there’s anything that can convey the mediocrity of this episode, it has to be the characters and how they’re presented. Squidward’s a jerk who gets what he deserves, but there’s not much to him outside of that. This might’ve been an okay arc for him to go through at the start of the series, but it’s bland and redundant here. SpongeBob acts too immature here for my liking, to the point that it almost feels like once of his “from another planet” interpretations. It’s telling when the most relatable thing about him here is that he cries over comedies. Mr Krabs was also in this episode, but he’s not given enough screentime. Sure his scenes are adequate, but he doesn’t feel much like an actual character.

If there’s any episode that proves being funny isn’t enough of a backbone for SpongeBob, this would be it. Sure there are good jokes and the characters are at least funny, but the story doesn’t feel properly bolted to its setting. Because of that, many of what would’ve been the episode’s biggest laughs come off as rather cheap, and actually looking into the characters and the choices they make is for naught. The biggest problem of all though is that it’s just another generic Krusty Krab episode, the kind that’s already been pumped out and doesn’t seem any newer. At least the episode made me smile, though I expect more from it now.

Final Verdict: Average 5/10 (a mixed bag)
Gary In Love < Squiditis < Sentimental Sponge

Question of the Day: If you could name a new disease, what would it be?

Here’s hoping the next nine episodes don’t crush whatever’s left of the season’s quality.

#1030 hippythehippo

Imitation Krab

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:49 PM

4 more eps till IASBC. 

qotd: ebolaidsitis

why? idk.

#1031 spongebranch

Baby Clam

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:15 PM

Sorry for the off-topic but did you know that the SpongeBob episodes "Scaredy Pants/I Was a Teenage Gary" still air regularly on Nick where you are?

#1032 EmployeeAMillion

CAN’T WAKE UP.jpg

• Members
  • 2720 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:25 PM

Demolition Doofus (Season 8, Episode 21b)
Original Airdate: July 21 2012
Episode 332 in standard order, Episode 334 in airing order
Plot: Mrs Puff enters SpongeBob into a demolition derby to get back at him for rupturing her inflation sac
Written by Luke Brookshier, Marc Ceccarelli and Derek Iversen

[titlecard]173B[/titlecard]
Title Card Music: Unknown Track 3

Well this is another particularly hated episode. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, when boating school episodes get bad, they can often become unsalvageable. A key problem in most of them is Mrs Puff’s apathy towards SpongeBob being reduced to hostility. It’s sometimes hard to accept that she’s his teacher in the worst instances, and this is one of those worst instances. Depending on how much you like Mrs Puff and want to see her as a good character, this may be worse than One Coarse Meal. I wouldn’t jump to such conclusions all willy nelly, but many fans do feel that strongly about Demolition Doofus. What exactly made it such a wreck in the first place though?

Another Friday, another boating test for SpongeBob, and it starts very similarly to the original Boating School, with him grabbing his unicycle and quickly bothering Squidward. He actually seems to be of help here, cycling through his garden and popping the sea carrots up for Squid to catch. It’s too similar to an old Winnie the Pooh cartoon to be a coincidence though, and since Tom Kenny was voicing Rabbit around this time, it could’ve even been a shout-out. It’s downhill from there though, as he heads down into town, and absolutely fails his exam, unable to get out of a parallel park by flooring it. During this, Mrs Puff starts inflating at an alarming rate, soon turning into a hot air balloon and crashing the boat into the school’s tower. Despite the Puff abuse, this opening, while not that funny, is pretty engaging with all the shenanigans ensuing.

Mrs Puff awakens in hospital, where the doctor says she’s fractured her inflation sac and will never be able to puff again. He doesn’t say something like “it’s hard to tell”, just a flat no, which isn’t the right thing to say in an non-episodic show, as the audience knows things will either go back to normal at the end, or during the next commercial break. Even to a newcomer who doesn’t understand how the show works, it may scare or frustrate them seeing what unfolds. After SpongeBob makes a smart-alleck comment on how her life should be from now on, Mrs Puff snaps, leaps out of bed and grabs SpongeBob’s nose. Everything I know about censorship on the show tells me she was originally supposed to be strangling him, but blocking his nose and keeping him from breathing is the next worst thing I guess. Whichever action could’ve made it however, it’s still a dark, heartless shift in tone that just sort of happened without warning.

The doctor doesn’t want to put up with either of them, so he injects them both with tranquilizers. Cut to a while later, and we see that SpongeBob still routinely visits Mrs Puff, who’s allergic to the flowers she’s sent and prefers to keep her room dark. They head out for a while and catch some action going on at the hospital. There are some tough guys, who although clearly sick and/or injured, are beating each other up to the amusement of the doctor, who mentions a demolition derby. Upon hearing this, Mrs Puff gets the idea to enter SpongeBob and have him killed, making sure to say she means it in the worst possible way. Given how SpongeBob’s insensitive comments must’ve occured a while ago, it’s hard to consider how much he’s atoned for them. He still seems carefree and a little ignorant, so the story’s clearly banking on Mrs Puff being the bad guy.

She manages to get ahold of one of her old students and sign SpongeBob up for the derby, full-well knowing about his incompetence on the road and wanting it to be the death of him. He’s immediately entered into a tough tournament filled with a bunch of other wierd tough guys in monster trucks who’ve had years of experience, with Puff cherring on the sidelines. The obvious punchline kicks in with SpongeBob’s bad driving saving him, angering Puff and forcing her to get a monster truck herself and plow SpongeBob down. This is apprently where she’s supposed to be going “too far”, but that happened when she tried blocking her student’s nose. She eventually chases him to the boating school, completely destroys it, and her inflation sac’s magically restored. It’s almost like the doctor’s comment was merely made for brief shock value. Ignoring the plotholes and the generic demolition derby, if you want a story to be truly uncomfortable, even for adult entertainment, you’re coming to the right place here.

This episode has a very dark sense of humour, too dark for the show. Save for the possible Winnie the Pooh reference at the beginning, I just felt like all the jokes either didn’t make sense or were completely wrong for the show. Perhaps the second closest it gets to feeling like a SpongeBob episode is with all the different demolition derby men, but I can’t remember the specifics of any except for the clown one, which even then is supposed to be a killer clown. As for those morbid jokes about Mrs Puff wanting SpongeBob dead, I want so badly to think of them as out-of-character, but I can’t. Given the years of incompetence she’s had to endure, I can understand why she eventually snaps here, even if I don’t want it to happen and find the humour in it to be horrible.

I wasn’t expecting to be unnerved by the animation aswell, given that this doesn’t quite deal with the same sort of issues as The Splinter or Face Freeze!, but it still happened. Mrs Puff when she’s deflated is very creepy, looking like a wrinkly, senile woman who needs mental help. It’s wierd enough seeing her with the same proportions as a normal fish, but her behaviour and sheer amount of wrinkles make it worse. If it’s a parody of something, please let me know. The stuff with the demolition derby doesn’t fare much better. Despite SpongeBob admittedly looking cute as Le Squish (and finally donning those missed traditional cheeks again), the other competitors look too generic and the action isn’t that exciting. I was fully expecting SpongeBob to survive, so I wasn’t thrilled with all the near-death situations he put up with.

It’s hard to find my favourite character from this episode, but I’ll have to go with SpongeBob. Despite his offensive comments, he’s easily the most normal character here, going with the flow. He’s still very bland and flat as a character, but at least it doesn’t hurt to watch most of his scenes. The doctor’s the second closest to being okay, but it’s not cool the way he tranquilizes anyone that annoys him and thinks it’s entertaining seeing his patients battle. I’ve already laid out the problems with Mrs Puff’s portrayal here, and it’s near-inexcusable seeing it coming from a teacher character. I honestly think the ruptured sac did something to her mind, as she’s not like this in any other episode. There are also the derby men, but they leave next-to-no impact. Given the content in the rest of the episode, it’s sad when the tough guys seem to be the most innocent.

In conclusion, Demolition Doofus is as bad as many fans say it is. There aren’t many episodes in Season 8 onwards that manage to sicken me, but this is one of them. I try to view every episode featuring Mrs Puff as standalone, just like I would with the other characters, but this is so bad that there’s going to be some of the sting left when I get to Bumper to Bumper. I’m not the kind of person who’ll criticise something just for being mean-spirited and having a grim tone, but the actions from everyone in this episode are downright cruel, possibly even illegal. I get that many of the things that make it horrible are for the sake of jokes, and that keeps it away from the worst of the worst, but so much about it feels wrong.

Final Verdict: Scummy 2/10 (not unwatchable, but still among the worst)
Trench Billies < Demolition Doofus < Big Sister Sam

Question of the Day: What would you call deflated Mrs Puff?

The next eight episodes will seem like treats in comaprison. Especially the very next one, since that’s its title.

#1033 hippythehippo

Imitation Krab

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:54 PM

Yeah, boating school eps from 5-8 sucked hard. Luckily post sequels boating school episodes are pretty good, with Teachers Pests being a shining example of doing everything right in a boating school episode.

QOTD: Mrs. Deflated (basically me after I watched this episode. Besides the fact that I'm a guy.)

#1034 SpongeBuddyPH

Flying Dutchman's Sock

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:46 PM

Usually, I enjoy SpongeBob's reckless driving moments in every boating school episodes, but I exclude this one. Demolition Doofus, along with Boating Buddies, is the WORST of the series, PERIOD!  :patboo: No offense everyone.

POPPED Mrs. Airbag, because Mrs. Puff is always an airbag in every boating school episode!

Edited by SpongeBuddyPH, Yesterday, 08:52 PM.

#1035 spongebranch

Baby Clam

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted Today, 03:59 AM

Mrs. D-flate

#1036 spongebranch

Baby Clam

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted Today, 04:14 PM

Is the review for Treats! finished?

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users