SpongeBob Comics Discussion

• Please log in to reply
760 replies to this topic

#726 Gloom

Baby Clam

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:39 AM

I had to donate some of my comics for money during a garage sale but I still have most of them from 2009-2014 :(

#727 McSponge

Flying Dutchman's Sock

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

I had to donate some of my comics for money during a garage sale but I still have most of them from 2009-2014 :(

Ooh, you have some SpongeBob Comics from the last days of Nick Magazine? (I assume this since you included 2009 and 2010 into the mix of years, though you could be just referring to the Comic Crazy books).

#728 McSponge

Flying Dutchman's Sock

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:05 PM

Recently got Issue 74 (Accidentally skipped over 73. Oh well, knowing Barnes & Noble, that's probably all they'll have if I go looking for Issue 75). It was honestly pretty good. Much better than Issue 72, goodness, that issue was boring! It was super generic.

I feared this one would be like 72, seeing how generic looking the cover was, though I was pleasantly surprised by the issue.

Leaf Me Alone had a pretty nice twist, I also really liked the artwork in this script (It was on-model, yet super expressive). The surface scenes were definitely the highlight of the strip, and I also liked the Salty Spitoon reference.

The Flotsam and Jetsam strip was actually really good in this issue, I think it's one of the best ones I've seen in a while.

We Used to be Some Buddies was a very lame strip in my opinion, definitely a very annoying, and fairly weak strip. It was super predictable, it had a lame, unoriginal conflict, and a lot of the jokes felt like they could only appeal to those 5 and under.

The Friendship is Friendship poster was decent, I really liked the patterns used for it.

Automation Frustration was a fairly weak strip if you asked me. From my pet peeve with Krabs not having a helmet in Sandy's to the overall predictable actions of the characters, this was definitely one of the weaker comics in the issue. I guess the only real likable aspect of this strip was seeing Krabs and Sandy have some interaction (Even though it felt like the beginning of The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom if it was stretched out).

The SpongeFunnies fell flat, the jokes were too cheesy, the second strip didn't even have that much of a proper direction.

Unseen Friends was a pretty annoying comic, seeing that it brought out the uglier side of SpongeBob and Patrick, though the ending did catch me off guard..

Also, that last comic on the back of the Issue was hilarious. Such a simple comic, yet it's one of the funniest one's I've seen in a long time.

Overall, Issue 74 wasn't as great as Issue 71, and felt inferior to Issue 70, though it remains much better than Issue 72. It was a sub-par issue, though it did have it's moments.

So far, the 70s seem to be a hit or miss period of time for SpongeBob comics. Who knows, I really need to read Issue 73 before I can start fairly judging these issues (Since I absolutely despised Issue 60 [One of my least favorite issues], while I absolutely adored Issues 61 & 62, while I felt Issue 63 was decent, with the rest of the 60s being pretty lackluster, with a few gems here and there). I'm definitely looking forward to Issue 75, I can't wait to see an entire issue of SpongeFunnies. Honestly, SpongeFunnies hasn't been that good since around the late 40s. They've gotten really bland, and generic, and I feel as though James is running out of ideas for new strips, and he really needs to expand his material to explore into more grand storylines, because really, his jokes are lamer than new prints of Garfield.

#729 TheLocalAquatic

Giant Clam

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

Issue #75...

• Don't know what to call the SpongeFunnies comic, but the story's pretty good. Very interesting in terms of structure - while it's all one story, each scene is split similarly to strip comics.
  • No lie I don't read the Flotsam And Jetsam comics.
  • Pirate Club was a fun read!
  • Wishes is pretty cute. And I love how some of the panels are used for effect in the story!
  • Sandy's List was fun - really brought her out as a character, especially since she's the only one in it!
  • Bouncing Belly is also cute - I love Scalzo's style!

#730 McSponge

Flying Dutchman's Sock

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

So, I finally got Issue 73 at Books-A-Million! today (It was tucked away behind a bunch of random comics. It was the only copy of 73 there, whereas there were plenty of 72's, 74's, and 68's). Anyway, I read Issue 73, and it was amazing! Way better than 72 and 74, I think this is probably my favorite comic since 62!

I'm usually against huge stories that take up more than half of an issue, but this is probably the first time in a long time that I didn't really mind. The Curse of the S.S Unpleasant was an amazing comic! I loved the detail artstyle (Hifi did an amazing job with shading in this comic), Mama Krabs' role in the story was fun, there were even a few interesting plot twists I didn't see coming. Lots of funny jokes, and it actually was kind of suspenseful. Definitely the best comic I've seen this year, Derek Drymon still has it!

The SpongeFunnies were surprisingly decent. Haunted Ha-Ha was lame, I personally didn't find it that funny  :unsure:, nor did I care for Supernatural Facts to be that good. Though the twists at the end of the comics were interesting, I will give James that, he managed to surprise me in this issue.

Moon Goon was fun, lots of great gags in this one, with a hilarious ending, definitely a great comic.

The Flotsam Fables was fairly interesting (Though it was just a compilation of ghost sightings from over the years). Not as good as last year's, but still more interesting than your average Flotsam Jetsam comic.

The Ghost of the Rare Penny wasn't too good, but I really loved the artstyle in this one.

Overall, Issue 73 is so far my favorite issue of the 70's  :thumbsup:

I was genuinely surprised at how good this issue was, considering how it's surrounded by two lackluster issues. Looking forward to reading 75 (Though I'm pretty sure I won't be reading it until next month or so).

#731 Klu

Bomb-Selling Pirate

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:25 AM

Recently I started reading those, and I was surprised how good comics are! Not every story or art-style is a winner, but most of them are really good! Some of them really deserve some kind of tv-adaptation, if WhoBob WhatPants was based on some SpongeBob book, why not comics?

P.S. 100th Post, yay.  :sbx:

Edited by Klu, 29 December 2017 - 01:27 AM.

#732 McSponge

Flying Dutchman's Sock

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

So last weekend, I went out and finally got Issue 75 (Finally, it only took nearly a month since it's initial release!)

I feel as if James Kochalka is worn out, and definitely needs a break. SpongeFunnies were actually funny for the first 30 or so issues, then things started to slow down a bit, and he picked things up (By making the comics connected to each other, telling a bigger story than the "one-shot" comics) until around the 50s or so, then it's just been downhill from there (With an occasional laugh every now and again). Honestly, I thought James was just striving to tell a bigger story, seeing how he doesn't even do individual comics anymore. Unfortunately, this story's main comic, Skate the Cake did not reach my expectations at all. It was a nice idea to give SpongeFunnies a larger story (Especially with all the commitment James has given to this comic, being around since Issue 1, goodness, he also did SpongeFunnies in Nick Magazine, too!), but the story was just a mess. It was clear there was no real direction, as Squidward's plan was all over the place. The story isn't the biggest problem in this comic, though, it's the jokes. A lot of this comic's jokes are terribly generic and predictable (A recent problem that's been developing in James' work on the SpongeFunnies). The only legitimately funny jokes were some of Krabs lines when SpongeBob meets up with him, during SpongeBob's day off. Other than that, the story was a big hit or miss with humor, either given me a slight smirk or making me regret my decision of reading this. I think James should take a break from doing SpongeFunnies, at least for a while, he's scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of humor.

This issue's Flotsam & Jetsam wasn't really as informative as it was comedy. It focused on the in's-and-out's of looking cute. Personally I found this comic to be really funny, probably one of the funniest Flotsam & Jetsam comics out there. I especially liked the Shark in this comic, I felt he was a pretty funny addition to the comic. Especially the irony at the end of the strip when Stubby Squid and the Shark were discussing some nasty facts about their species, covered up with these cutesy illustrations. Definitely one of the more clever Flotsam comics I've seen.

Pirate Club was a pretty decent comic (It's also exciting to see a new name in the credits. Kit Lively is the name, and I hope to see more of her work, since this comic was mildly entertaining). The premise of the comic is simply, yet pretty silly. I liked the set-up to the conflict, I felt as though the mess from Scrapbooking, making SpongeBob look like a pirate was pretty clever if you ask me. There were some funny lines here or there (Though I didn't really care for the buried stick gag, that one felt a little too forced and convenient to occur if you ask me). The highlight of the comic was definitely the ending, the fact that the comic looped around back into the theme of Scrapbooking was hilarious, especially with the set-up of the joke with the pirate's warning about Scrapbooking. Overall, it wasn't the best, but it was pretty good. Also, it's so weird seeing Jacob Chabot's artstyle by this point. He was so on-model with how the series looked back when the comic debuted in 2011, but by now his artwork feels a little too stiff compared to the current style in the series. His artwork is stuck in the Post-Movie days, and it's really interesting to look at. It's so surreal seeing new SpongeBob artwork drawn in the same basic style as the Post-Movie era (Though not as atrociously stiff as Seasons 6-8, it feels more like Seasons 4 & 5).

Our next comic, Wishes is also written by a new person, I see (Charise Mericle Harper). Unfortunately, I can't stand this comic. It's so boring, and so dragged out, it feels like forever to get this comic done. I wouldn't mind that had it been a good comic, but it's not! I'm all for new artstyles, heck, that's why I got into SpongeBob comics, I enjoyed seeing the characters in different artstyles. But this comic's artstyle is so dull, and not even the writing could save this, there's barely any funny jokes in this comic at all. The plot is boring, the whole "Wishes" element isn't even incorporated until towards the very ending, and doesn't really have much to do with the main conflict (Patrick being unable to blow a bubble, which isn't even resolved, he never does end up blowing one!). It's a boring comic overall, and I really hope Charise will improve her writing as time goes on, because this comic was super lackluster without any interesting artwork or funny jokes the make up for the bland storyline.

Sandy's List, oh boy, was written by Jay Lender! So glad to see some new work from Jay, haven't seen much from him in a while. This comic is super fast-paced, and it's great. Michael La Pinksi's artstyle is fantastic, most of the comic is nothing more than just action-packed visuals, and Michael's art really brings the comic to life. It's a fantastic comic, and I especially like the hilarious ending.

Then we have Realistic SpongeFunnies! Finally, some kind of breath of fresh air to SpongeFunnies! And guess what? They're actually funny! Yeah, each SpongeFunnie (Written by Kochalka) are actually funny! And seeing Jerry Ordway's artwork again is great, too. I personally wouldn't mind seeing more of these, these are great! They're such a unique spin on SpongeFunnies (Especially since SpongeFunnies have a super simplistic artstyle to begin with!). Though I'm pretty sure this is the only time we're going to see them, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping we'll see Realistic SpongeFunnies return in the future, because they're awesome!

Finally, we end the issue with Bouncing Belly (Written by Kevin Scalzo, a name I don't entirely recognize, so I'm going to assume he's new). This comic was mediocre, there wasn't anything special about it, just a delightful artstyle.

Overall, Issue #75 is an issue I have mixed feelings for (Similar to the 70s in general). It definitely has some bad comics, like Wishes, Bouncing Belly, and the main comic of the issue, Skate to Cake. However, there are definitely gems in this issue. Pirate's Club, and especially Sandy's List & Realistic SpongeFunnies. I'm really happy to see more variety in this issue (Something that's been severely lacking from most issues since the 40's, in my opinion), and even better, it's interesting to see new names on the staff. I have confidence in Kit, and I really hope Charise and Kevin's writing will develop overtime to become much better than their current work. Also, it's nice seeing some old names again, I was especially shocked to see a new comic from Jay Lender.

Issue #75 is a hit-or-miss issue. It's not a great issue, but it's not a bad issue. It seems to have more good than bad, which is definitely good (Better than being nothing more than "Okay" like a lot of mid-late 60's issues).

So far, I'm not sure what to make about the 70's. There are definitely some bad issues that have come out (Like Issues 74 and 72), though there are definitely gems in the 70's, particularly 71 and 73. So far, I still don't seem to have an overall opinion on the 70's. Really, it could go either way, there have been some fantastic stories to come out of the 70's, while there have been some terrible ones. This issue really gave me no insight on what direction the 70's will go into. It's pretty much the 70's summed up into one issue, there are great parts, and then there are really weak parts.

At least the 70's is a big improvement over the 60's as a whole so far. Most of the 60's issues were really bland, and there's really only 2 issues that stick out to me as amazing issues (Issues 61 & 62, though they do follow probably the worst issue the comic has seen, Issue 60). Is it better than the 50's? Ehhh...maybe...

I just feel like if the 70's continues pouring out issues that don't contain a story-arc, it may be superior to the 50's and 60's in my book (Since the weak parts of those collection of issues were the constant story-arcs which became severely boring as time moved on, especially that last one with Pencils the Pirate, oof, that was rough). Only time will tell.

#733 ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini

• Admins
  • 22,839 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:43 PM

ErprTCb.jpg

SPONGEBOB COMICS #77

(W) Lender, Jay, (A/CA) Schigiel, Gregg

'Untidaled,' Part 2 of 2! SpongeBob and friends discover where all the ocean water has gone, and it's a really big pickle jar with a very tight lid, openable only by a gigantic fish-eating kraken (formerly a DJ). Can the Bikini Bottom rescue squad free the sea? Also in this issue: SpongeBob can't go to work due to a severe case of crying face! Mr. Krabs' hand-crafted new piggy bank gets totaled in the fryer. Plus, 'SpongeFunnies' by James Kochalka and ocean facts from Maris Wicks.

In Shops: Feb 14, 2018

SRP: $3.99

#734 ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini

• Admins
  • 22,839 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

jfPmmqm.jpg

SPONGEBOB COMICS #78

(W) John Trabbic, Brian Smith (A) Brian Smith (A/CA) John Trabbic

Freak circumstances conspire to make SpongeBob's buck teeth grow out-of-control-threatening to demolish, or at least radically redesign, the Krusty Krab as we know it! Can Sponge-Bob's friends avoid dental disaster and knock his choppers down to size? Find out in "Healthy Teeth" by hot SpongeBob storyboard artist John Trabbic! Plus, delightful detail-meister Brian Smith (Tree Friends) brings you "Mini-Golf Madness" - five spreads of spectacular bird's eye panel panoramas detailing Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob's journey through the ocean's finest mini-golf course! Plus: "SpongeFunnies" by James Kochalka, ocean facts from Maris Wicks, and more!

In Shops: Mar 14, 2018

#735 McSponge

Flying Dutchman's Sock

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

Well, a few days ago I received Issue 76 surprisingly, and interestingly enough, it turned out to be a great issue. Untidaled was an amazing comic (Really happy to see Jay Lender back in action, haven't seen him in a while). It's probably the first actual story-arc that's legitimately great. The Showdown at Shady Shoals story arc was mediocre, Barnacle Bill didn't reach expectations, due it's lack of originality (Emphasizing more on being an homage to Popeye), Mermaid Girl was interesting, but fairly forgettable, and Lost Booty was super long and really repetitive. This was definitely a fun strip to read, it had a suspenseful, and really original storyline, lots of funny jokes, and I really enjoy the art of this comic. The moment I saw this issue's cover, I knew I was in for a treat, this is by far the best Story Arc we've gotten in the series so far.

The Fotsam & Jetsam Ocean Facts were decent this time around, not that great, though it did have some amusing visuals.

Barbells on the Beach was just a cute little story, nothing much wrong with it aside from an ending that didn't make much sense to me.

The SpongeFunnies in this issue were really bad, I think James needs to take a break, at least for a while after the 100th issue, he needs a little break from writing these, it's obvious he's out of ideas at this point.

Build a Boat! was a pretty good comic, I definitely enjoyed this one. 

Finally, Rocks Look Like was a pretty good comic as well, ending the issue on a satisfying note.

Overall, I'm really happy about this issue. It's definitely the best Issue since Issue 62 (Though it's not even close to how great Issue 62 was). So far, the 70's have been doing pretty well. It's a big improvement over the 60's, and if the rest of the 70's will be as good (If not better than this issue), it might be as good as the 50's were. This issue was great, I absolutely loved Untidaled, and I'm looking forward to reading it's conclusion in Issue 77.

The 70's have been a real mixed bag, though it definitely leans more towards the positive side. Issues 71 & 73 were pretty good, this issue was great, Issues 72 & 74 were really bad, and issues 70 & 75 were real mixed bags. I'm looking forward to seeing what's going to come out of this series of comics in the future.

#736 TheLocalAquatic

Giant Clam

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:33 PM

Does anyone else think the speech bubbles on the cover of #77 are unnecessary?

I mean, I don't know, it's just that the graphology does more than a capable job of showing us the situation and being comedic, so the speech just feels redundant; it's not like the last issue where the image needed the speech to provide a little more context. This issue's cover just looks perfect on its own merit, is all.

Just a thought I had while glancing at the image.

#737 President Squidward

Nosferatu

• Banished
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:43 PM

From the Free Comic Book Day website:

eANeUwT.jpg

JAN180045
(W) Derek Drymon, James Kochalka (A) Robb Bihun, Vanessa Davis

Inspired by SpongeBob's comic book obsession, Plankton teams up with underwater super-villains to steal the Krabby Patty formula! But he may have gotten in over his tiny green head when word of his plan gets out in the aquatic bad-guy community! Soon, the Chum Bucket is filled with every Mermaid Man adversary we could fit into one story! How will Mr. Krabs fend off this evil, if somewhat over-large, invasion? Plus: In "Patrick Versus Somebody," enjoy the spazzy antics of Patrick and SpongeBob as they attempt to transform Patrick into a living comic book! All this, plus ocean facts from Maris Wicks and an amazing wraparound cover from Jacob Chabot!

In comic stores on FREE COMIC BOOK DAY, May 5th, 2018.

#738 ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini

• Admins
  • 22,839 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:44 PM

FEB181184.jpg

SPONGEBOB COMICS #79

(W) Charles Brubaker, (A/CA) Jacob Chabot

It's all-out aquatic op-ed war as Plankton and Mr. Krabs engage in the extreme sport of editorial cartooning in the newspapers of Bikini Bottom! Their slanderous scribblings even draw SpongeBob and Squidward into the destructive conflict-threatening everything they hold dear! Find out who gets the last laugh in The Cross-Hatch of Despair! Also: the threat of whirlpools forces Mr. Krabs to activate The Buddy System, which means Squidward and SponegBob must stay close together all day! And in Facial Hair Scare, a fake beard mishap throws Patrick into an identity crisis! All this plus Ocean Facts by Maris Wicks and SpongeFunnies by James Kochalka!

In Shops: April 11, 2018

#739 President Squidward

Nosferatu

• Banished
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:32 PM

https://www.firstcom...-solicitations/

6nVqxT1.jpg

SPONGEBOB COMICS #80

MAR181229

(W) David Lewman, Max Davison (A) Hilary Barta (A/CA) Raul The Third

The secret formula is just part of what makes a Krabby Patty delicious. There is also The Method, SpongeBob’s crucial food prep procedure, and Squidward must learn it! But can he bear to study at the (cute) feet of a spongy sensei who drives him bonkers? Find out in “Method Madness”! Then in “Can’t Get Much Commoner,” King Neptune decides, perhaps unwisely, to learn about the simple pleasures of mortals by spending a day with two mortal simpletons-SpongeBob and Patrick. Also: Patrick decides to live the rest of his life in a kelp maze, and Mr. Krabs wants to win a place in the Underwater Book of Records. All this plus ocean facts by Maris Wicks and “SpongeFunnies” by James Kochalka!

In Shops: May 09, 2018

#740 ~Marine Mermaid~

Baby Clam

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:28 PM

FEB181184.jpg

SPONGEBOB COMICS #79

(W) Charles Brubaker, (A/CA) Jacob Chabot

It's all-out aquatic op-ed war as Plankton and Mr. Krabs engage in the extreme sport of editorial cartooning in the newspapers of Bikini Bottom! Their slanderous scribblings even draw SpongeBob and Squidward into the destructive conflict-threatening everything they hold dear! Find out who gets the last laugh in The Cross-Hatch of Despair! Also: the threat of whirlpools forces Mr. Krabs to activate The Buddy System, which means Squidward and SponegBob must stay close together all day! And in Facial Hair Scare, a fake beard mishap throws Patrick into an identity crisis! All this plus Ocean Facts by Maris Wicks and SpongeFunnies by James Kochalka!

In Shops: April 11, 2018

The cover reminds me of "Duck Amuck" esspecially with Spongebob's pants!

#741 President Squidward

Nosferatu

• Banished
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:55 PM

ln1EhYt.jpg

SPONGEBOB COMICS #81

(W) David Lewman, Brian Smith (A) David Lewman (A/CA) Brian Smith

Squidward is all set to find inner peace with a famous spiritual yoga master-until he’s joined by guru-curious SpongeBob and Patrick! An inner journey turns into an ordeal of psychic stupidity. See an infinity of SpongeBobs! Witness the nothingness within Patrick! Can Squidward possibly find oneness while surrounded by dumbness? You’ll see in “You’re Not My Swami!” Then in “Pennies for Patties,” Mr. Krabs’ quest for a super-rare penny turns the Krusty Krab into a giant bin of copper coinage! But what if one of his employees finds the rare penny first? All this plus “SpongeFunnies” by James Kochalka and ocean facts from Maris Wicks!

In Shops: Jun 13, 2018

AinPiCS.jpg

SPONGEBOB COMICS ANNUAL GIANT SWIMTACULAR #6

(W) Derek Drymon, R. Sikoryak (A) Jerry Ordway, Jacob Chabot, R. Sikoryak (CA) Gary Gianni

Why are SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs starring in a Bikini Bottom mashup of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Treasure Island, Moby-Dick, and more maritime masterpieces? It’s simple: The dread Censor Ship has ordered SpongeBob Comics’ creative crew, the United Plankton pirates, to clean up their act – or walk the plank! Henceforth, all SpongeBob Comics must be educational and literary, to boot! But as SpongeBob and friends go on their highfalutin’ quest through a bunch of literary rip-offs-er, homages, the true spirit of SpongeBob sneaks its way into the narrative – in the form of Patrick and SpongeBob’s new silly Squishy Dance!

In Shops: Jun 20, 2018
SRP: $4.99

#742 McSponge

Flying Dutchman's Sock

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:41 PM

Well, I haven't posted in this thread for a while now. Mainly because I haven't gotten any new issues since January, in part of being insanely busy back in March, and the fact that Barnes & Noble is terrible at stocking issues anymore. So the other day I've finally gotten Issues 77 and 78, and I was delightfully surprised.

First off, Issue 77 was amazing, it managed to surpass my expectations, which is saying something given how great Issue 76 was. First off, the conclusion to Untidaled is fantastic. The emotions, the character development, the artwork (Ooh, I love the artwork in this storyline!), the climatic conclusion and creative resolution, Jay Lender did an amazing job writing this compelling story, it's truly my new favorite multi-issue story line. 

Cry Face was a pretty decent strip, I did enjoy the nasty facial expressions David DeGrand drew, it seemed like a nice little change from his usual, dialogue-based storylines. It wasn't that grand of a comic, but I still found myself really enjoying it.

The SpongeFunnies were fairly decent, The Mayor is Here sucked, but Overworked was a pretty decent comic. The final line of the strip was a pretty decent punchline after SpongeBob's suspenseful setup. A nice play on dialogue humor, something rare in SpongeFunnies anymore. Guess that's the best you can get out of SpongeFunnies these days, they're just terrible anymore.

Banks a Lot was a nice little story, I especially love Gregory Benton's artstyle, it's really reminiscent of a children's book, and I think it perfectly fits the more simplistic nature of this strip. Overall, it's a really nice strip.

The Flotsam & Jetsam comic isn't that great, it is fairly mediocre, but it does give us some interesting statistics about holding your breath underwater.

Overall, I really did enjoy Issue 77. Mostly impart of it's strong main story, Untidaled. Still, it gave us a few other good comics, and I especially enjoyed this issue's side comics. Overall, I really liked the direction Issue 77 went in.

Now Issue 78, on the other hand is a fairly good issue. It's not a great issue, oh no, definitely not, but it's still a pretty enjoyable issue. Artistically, this issue is incredible, it's full of colorful, lively pieces of artwork, with a lot of variety in term of artstyles explored. The main storyline especially, Stretching the Tooth has lots of amazing artwork, John Trabbic really brings what would've been an otherwise boring story to life! His bouncy, energetic artwork truly reminds me of Ren & Stimpy, I absolutely love his work. Stretching the Tooth is a great comic, it's artwork is incredible, giving us a lot of great visuals to compensate for a lack of dialogue humor. I especially find the ending really funny, that was a great way to end an already twisted strip.

Now the 5th Annual Bikini Bottom Bicycle Sprint was a pretty mediocre strip. On one hand, I do enjoy the artwork, I like how the overall simplistic design of the characters worked well with the action sequence when SpongeBob and Patrick get stuck in the mud, but the storylines a dud. Reminds me of the classic "The Big Race" from the Nick Magazine days, only unfunnier. A good amount of the jokes are simplistic and bland (Particularly the mustache gag), though it does kind of match the overall artstyle well. The ending wasn't really all that great, I do like how Israel steered clear of making SpongeBob/Patrick the winner, and gave a little twist on the ending. Still, not a funny story by any means.

Putt 'Er There! is a pretty good comic. For a good majority of it, I found myself enjoying it. The reliance on creative holes definitely gave us some great artwork to behold, but for the most part, the humor is hit or miss. I do rather enjoy the foreshadowing at the beginning to how the story will end, but I just don't find the ending to be that satisfying of a conclusion. It's just not funny, but there are quite a few good gags scattered throughout the rest of the comic, especially the way the holes are rigged in your favor.

The Flotsam and Jetsam comic this time around was centered around a pretty interesting topic. Not really that dull of a comic, but certainly not funny. It's a nice little educational comic, that's really all it is.

Shadow Play...*Sigh* Shadow Play...

You so much potential, but effectively bombed it. First off, I really enjoy Charles Brubaker's artstyle, I hope to see more of his work in future issues. However, the storyline isn't really that bold or creative until Squidward's shadow becomes sentient. That was interesting and creative! That could've essentially saved the story from being dull, it could've gave us a lot of neat little scenarios and funny gags. But I guess Krabs and SpongeBob golfing is a better way to fill in pages, as this storyline is cut short as soon as it's able to blossom. The ending just feels cheap and rushed, it could've been a much better story, akin to Peter Pan's shadow being sentient.

Finally, the SpongeFunnies are...well, your typical SpongeFunnies. They're not terrible this time around, but they're not funny at all. It's typical elementary level humor, with a predictable setup and punchline. Heck, you can replace the characters with just generic humans, and it'd have the exact same effect!

Overall, Issue 78 certainly isn't anywhere near as great as Issue 77, but it's still a pretty good issue, regardless of some dull points, it still features some really good comics.

In conclusion, I was really satisfied with these two issues. Issue 77 might just be the best issue in 70s. I mean it, this issue rocked! I had a lot of fun reading both of these issues, and I hope that fun remains for future issues. It's a given, the 70s are a step in the right direction. Yes, there have been some flops like Issues 72 & 74, but for the most part, a lot of these issues have been at worst, above average. I wouldn't call it as good as the 50s just yet, but it is a huge improvement over the 60s, holy crap, these issues are so much better. A lot of older writers/artists are less active on the issues now, and I see that as a positive impact, we're getting a lot more interesting artstyles and stories under newer recruits. That doesn't mean all the veterans are bad, goodness, Jay Lender just delivered one of my all time favorite storylines in SpongeBob Comic History! Looking at Issue 79, I don't really anticipate much from that issue, it looks fairly mediocre, but who knows? The 80s issues definitely look promising, though covers certainly can be deceiving, practically every single issue since 40 have had amazing covers.

So overall, I'd say the 70s have been a pretty decent collection of issues. Yes there were bombs, but there were also some pretty good issues. 

#743 MY CHOCOLATE LEG!

Bomb-Selling Pirate

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:29 PM

I read spongebob comics from time to time, usually whenever I'm actually able to buy them since they never scan them anymore

The most recent issue I read was #78, and that one was pretty good. Also the #76-#77 two part story was really good in my opinion. 

#744 President Squidward

Nosferatu

• Banished
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:17 PM

AlCOtbv.jpg

SPONGEBOB COMICS #82

(W) David Lewman, Derek Drymon (A) Vincent DePorter (A/CA) Jacob Chabot

SpongeBob is having fun with his new hobby-tinkering with robots that do simple tasks like… flipping patties! Mr. Krabs seizes on the opportunity to robotize the entire Krusty Krab! But when the mechanical replacements turn on Krabs, SpongeBob must don the tight-fitting tunic of Spongebob: Robotfighterpants! Then in “Secret Identities,” SpongeBob finds out that Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy don’t have secret identities! SpongeBob and Patrick help the aged heroes rectify this blatant disregard for superhero tropes by becoming, themselves, the secret identities of their favorite heroes! Plus: “SpongeFunnies” by James Kochalka and ocean facts from Maris Wicks!

In Shops: Jul 11, 2018

Edited by President Squidward, 14 July 2018 - 03:57 PM.

#745 EmployeeAMillion

Soon

• Members
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 03:56 PM

From the Free Comic Book Day website:eANeUwT.jpg

I’m impressed with just how many villains they were able to stuff onto this cover. I never knew the Tattletale Strangler, Hash-Slinging Slasher, alien jellyfish creature and Jack M Crazyfish hated Mermaid Man.

#746 President Squidward

Nosferatu

• Banished
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:21 PM

BVenbQC.jpg

SPONGEBOB COMICS #83

(W) Chuck Dixon, Corey Barba (A) Vincent DePorter, Corey Barba (CA) Gregg Schigiel

Plankton has taken over another issue! In “The Goo, The Bad, and the Ugly,” the little green megalomaniac tastes success at last as Bikini Bottom tastes the Chum Bucket’s new amazing spicy sauce! Then, in “Plankton’s Country Cousin,” microscopic hillbilly relative Rupert makes time with Plankton’s very own computer wife, Karen! Can SpongeBob help Plankton find a different love match for Rupert? Plus: 6 pages of Sponge-insanity from Bill Wray, “SpongeFunnies” by James Kochalka, and ocean facts by Maris Wicks!

In Shops: Aug 08, 2018

#747 President Squidward

Nosferatu

• Banished
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 02:18 AM

xXAf9e0.jpg

SPONGEBOB COMICS #84

(W) Joey Weiser, Scott Roberts, David Lewman (A) Scott Roberts, Gregg Schigiel, Vincent DePorter (CA) Paul Kirchner

This one has it all! Public transportation transforms SpongeBob’s neighborhood in “Stop That Bus Stop!” Patrick, Sandy, and SpongeBob gear up for extreme underwater water tubing in “Tube Newb”! And Mr. Krabs takes a treasure-hunting voyage with an old pal in “I’m Goin’ on an Adventure, Boys!” Plus: “SpongeFunnies”, ocean facts, and a psychedelic cover by comics legend Paul Kirchner (The Bus, Epic, Heavy Metal, Awaiting the Collapse)!

In Shops: Sep 19, 2018

#748 McSponge

Flying Dutchman's Sock

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

I haven't gotten #79 yet. Haven't been to a Barnes & Noble in months, though I did manage to get a hold of the 6th Annual Swimtacular the other day, so I guess that's better than nothing. The 6th Annual Swimtacular is certainly told in an interesting perspective. The issue focuses more on a narrative following the United Plankton Pirates more than the actual individual comics. themselves. Speaking of which, unlike all the previous Swimtaculars, which featured comics on a more grand scale, all themed around a particular subject (Superheroes, the most common of the themes, the future, and last year, grand, generally mythological adventures), this issue contains only one comic, a giant story that is stretched out, and done in multiple different styles, parodying different pieces of classic literature. This way, the main comic is comprised of an assortment of different mini stories.

How exactly do I like this change? Well, there's some good and some bad that comes out of this style. Honestly, I think the main storyline centering around the pirates was where the issue was at its strongest. The storyline feels fresh, it pokes a lot of fun at censorship, and there's this grand sense of suspense built around the conflict, giving Pencil's struggle to refrain from being silly. I also love the villain of this storyline, Captain Blah and his stiffness made for a really enjoyable and amusing antagonist. I gotta say, usually SpongeBob Comics doesn't really have that good of original antagonists, but this character was a lot of fun to watch in action.

It's kind of surprising how just several months ago, I was lamenting over the tired and worn out Lost Booty storyline that spanned through issues 65-70. And now here's the Swimtacular, featuring an almost identical layout to Lost Booty, yet I have a totally different impression of the story. I feel like this comic had a very interesting and well developed conflict, with actual stakes, along with a crew of likable characters to carry out the story. The SpongeBob comic itself isn't too bad, heck I enjoy seeing how the designs of the characters and the atmosphere change to fit the parodied story, but I don't really find myself so interested in the comics, otherwise. The comic's story is rather bland, I'm not so invested in the concept of a Uni-Jelly-Corn-Fish, and the Squishy Dance itself is far from funny. Still, it's a good element used to keep Pencils struggling in an internal conflict that risks his own life. 

I think it says a lot when the non-SpongeBob parts of the issue are better than the actual SpongeBob comic, and that's because Derek brought in a well captivating storyline to enjoy with this rather interesting cast of characters. 

As a whole, how does this compare to the previous Swimtaculars. Well, it wasn't what I expected, I rather enjoy the layout of your typical Swimtacular, it gives us some variety with the storylines (Not to mention, the extended amount of pages provided allows the stories to be more complex), and I am kind of bummed there's only one actual comic in the issue. The cover parodies at the end are really funny, however, I really enjoyed those.

It doesn't live up to my standard Swimtacular expectations. Of course it's nowhere near the quality of the second and third Swimtaculars, my personal favorite entries into the series, but it does better than the fifth entry. Yeah, I wasn't that blown away by last year's Swimtacular, looking back, it's pretty weak, the only really good comic in that issue was the Monster Boat of Frightfulness interactive comic. This year's Swimtacular isn't that spectacular, but it certainly holds a solid main storyline, and I guess I can say I enjoyed it more than last year's. Is it better than the fourth one? Eh, not really. I generally look back at #4 with distaste, mainly because it doesn't live up to the status of the first three, but I find some appeal to it. I'd consider the 6th Swimtacular almost on par with the fourth one.

Glad to see this noble experiment work so well for Dryman, and I really hope we'll see a more interestingly themed issue next year.

#749 TheLocalAquatic

Giant Clam

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:26 PM

SPONGEBOB COMICS #81

(W) David Lewman, Brian Smith (A) David Lewman (A/CA) Brian Smith

Squidward is all set to find inner peace with a famous spiritual yoga master-until he’s joined by guru-curious SpongeBob and Patrick! An inner journey turns into an ordeal of psychic stupidity. See an infinity of SpongeBobs! Witness the nothingness within Patrick! Can Squidward possibly find oneness while surrounded by dumbness? You’ll see in “You’re Not My Swami!” Then in “Pennies for Patties,” Mr. Krabs’ quest for a super-rare penny turns the Krusty Krab into a giant bin of copper coinage! But what if one of his employees finds the rare penny first? All this plus “SpongeFunnies” by James Kochalka and ocean facts from Maris Wicks!

In Shops: Jun 13, 2018

[b]SPONGEBOB COMICS #82[b]

(W) David Lewman, Derek Drymon (A) Vincent DePorter (A/CA) Jacob Chabot

SpongeBob is having fun with his new hobby-tinkering with robots that do simple tasks like… flipping patties! Mr. Krabs seizes on the opportunity to robotize the entire Krusty Krab! But when the mechanical replacements turn on Krabs, SpongeBob must don the tight-fitting tunic of Spongebob: Robotfighterpants! Then in “Secret Identities,” SpongeBob finds out that Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy don’t have secret identities! SpongeBob and Patrick help the aged heroes rectify this blatant disregard for superhero tropes by becoming, themselves, the secret identities of their favorite heroes! Plus: “SpongeFunnies” by James Kochalka and ocean facts from Maris Wicks!

In Shops: Jul 11, 2018

I thought something was amiss when I got #81, and I confirmed this once issue #82 came in the mail this morning.

Secret Identities is actually in Issue 81, no 82, and as such Pennies for Patties is in 82, not 81.

(Identitles was way better than Pennies anyway no wonder it came first  :P)

#750 abney317

Abney=last name

• Admins
  • 10,928 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 04:42 PM

SPONGEBOB COMICS #85

(W) Graham Anable, Derek Drymon, Bob Flynn (A) Graham Anable, Bob Flynn (A/CA) Jacob Chabot

United Plankton Pictures is taking an extended break, so issue #85 will be our last for a while. For now we present our 7th annual October assemblage of spooky submerged stories! In "Creature from Goo Lagoon," Graham Annable (Grickle, Boxtrolls, Puzzle Agent) writes and draws the tale of a lonely monster…who makes the mistake of kidnapping Patrick to keep him company! Then, in "Dutchman Went Down to Bikini Bottom," Derek Drymon and Jacob Chabot team to show how even selling his soul can't help Squidward's clarinet playing. And Bob Flynn brings vampires to Bikini Bottom. All this plus facts about the deepest depths of the sea-by Maris Wicks and SpongeFunnies by James Kochalka.
In Shops: Oct 17, 2018

Extended break D:

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users