SpongeBob Comics Discussion

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Man, I love SpongeBob comics! I've been collecting them since around July 2014 (Even though I first got one in mid 2013). I think the main draw (No pun intended :frenny: ) of the comics have to be the different art styles. I really love seeing the weird, bizarre, and unique drawing designs, along with standard, on-model designs. It feels like watching a variety show that way. Personally, I think the comics were at their peak around issues 38-46. Before then, the comics were pretty solid, and didn't really seem to go up or down in quality (Usually around the same quality as the Comic Crazy collection books). But around 38, the comics really started to get a lot better (Except for 39, I hate issue 39). The comics did become "meh" around 47, but did have some good surprises like issues 48, 50, and 51. But for the most part, the comics did seem to decline in quality in the 50s. I don't know if it has to do with the show getting better (Because I think it was more of an optimistic hope that the show will be as good as the comics were in issues 38-46 that helped my love for those comics grow), or what, but the comics did seem to get quite worse in those issues. I think it's primarily the fact that they focused way too much on the main comic (Which took up most of the issue). If that the main comic is great, than great :thumbsup: the issue will be mostly great. But if the comic is bad, or awful :no: then there's hardly any other stories that can back up the main comic. That's one thing I love about SpongeBob Comics. When you're done the main comic, there's always more comics to follow, so if you didn't like the first one, who knows, maybe some other, better story will pop up (That has happened to me). I think this issue was at its largest during the Barnacle Bill story line. I love the concept of bringing back Barnacle Bill :clapping: , but the comic turned out to be a lousy Popeye parody (Which I don't mind, but it was filled to the brim with references to Popeye, rather than having actual original forms of comedy). Usually these comics were about 20 or so pages, leaving only a handful of pages left to take up the rest of the issue. Things did get much better around issues 61 & 62 in my opinion, and since then, most of the issues have been hit or miss. Some are really good, some are just boring and forgettable. Still, I do love SpongeBob comics. In the words of Forrest Gump, you never know what you're gonna get.

I do have every single issue except issues
Freestyle Funnies 2013 (I Chose not to get this, since it has stories already used in a previous comic).

I'm quite close to having a complete collection. Does anyone else have a complete (Or near complete) collection?

TheJasbre202

Jasbre
McSponge said:
Man, I love SpongeBob comics! I've been collecting them since around July 2014 (Even though I first got one in mid 2013). I think the main draw (No pun intended :frenny: ) of the comics have to be the different art styles. I really love seeing the weird, bizarre, and unique drawing designs, along with standard, on-model designs. It feels like watching a variety show that way. Personally, I think the comics were at their peak around issues 38-46. Before then, the comics were pretty solid, and didn't really seem to go up or down in quality (Usually around the same quality as the Comic Crazy collection books). But around 38, the comics really started to get a lot better (Except for 39, I hate issue 39). The comics did become "meh" around 47, but did have some good surprises like issues 48, 50, and 51. But for the most part, the comics did seem to decline in quality in the 50s. I don't know if it has to do with the show getting better (Because I think it was more of an optimistic hope that the show will be as good as the comics were in issues 38-46 that helped my love for those comics grow), or what, but the comics did seem to get quite worse in those issues. I think it's primarily the fact that they focused way too much on the main comic (Which took up most of the issue). If that the main comic is great, than great :thumbsup: the issue will be mostly great. But if the comic is bad, or awful :no: then there's hardly any other stories that can back up the main comic. That's one thing I love about SpongeBob Comics. When you're done the main comic, there's always more comics to follow, so if you didn't like the first one, who knows, maybe some other, better story will pop up (That has happened to me). I think this issue was at its largest during the Barnacle Bill story line. I love the concept of bringing back Barnacle Bill :clapping: , but the comic turned out to be a lousy Popeye parody (Which I don't mind, but it was filled to the brim with references to Popeye, rather than having actual original forms of comedy). Usually these comics were about 20 or so pages, leaving only a handful of pages left to take up the rest of the issue. Things did get much better around issues 61 & 62 in my opinion, and since then, most of the issues have been hit or miss. Some are really good, some are just boring and forgettable. Still, I do love SpongeBob comics. In the words of Forrest Gump, you never know what you're gonna get.

I do have every single issue except issues
Freestyle Funnies 2013 (I Chose not to get this, since it has stories already used in a previous comic).

I'm quite close to having a complete collection. Does anyone else have a complete (Or near complete) collection?
Actually, Freestyle Funnies 2012 is the only one reusing comics from other issues, Freestyle Funnies 2013 has stories about free comic book day and other stuff not in the first 20 issues, so u should get it.

TheJasbre202

Jasbre
BTW, John Trabbic's next comic "Bestest Yellow Buddy Day" comes in #69, he told me in a pm, so i'm excited for the next issue!!

TheJasbre202

Jasbre
Screenshot_443.png

JUL171474
(W) Graham Annable (A) James Kochalka (A/CA) Gregg Schigiel
On a bubble-blowing break at work, SpongeBob accidentally invents the Bubble Burger - and it becomes a craze that sweeps the ocean floor! As demand rises, Mr. Krabs pushes SpongeBob to blow more and more Bubble Burgers-regardless of the pulmonary price! There is no way this could backfire, right? Also in this issue, SpongeBob on a slow bus! Plankton versus Patrick's ant farm! Plus: Ocean facts from Maris Wicks and "SpongeFunnies" by James Kochalka.
In Shops: Sep 13, 2017
SRP: $3.99

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
Wow, that looks weird. Anyway, I just got collection 1. It isn't half bad.

TheJasbre202

Jasbre
Screenshot_530.png

AUG171297
(W) Derek Drymon (A) Jacob Chabot (CA) Eric Powell
Mavens of the maritime macabre, take note! In this issue, a terrible pirate curse brings SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs face to carapace with an unsavory undead pirate crew! But help is on its way in the form of the ocean's toughest occult detective - Mama Krabs! Watch her work her magic in "The Curse of the S.S. Unpleasant." Also in this issue: Patrick versus Plankton (with art by Hilary Barta), legends of seaside ghosts (with art by Vanessa Davis), and spooky "SpongeFunnies" (with art by James Kochalka!).
In Shops: Oct 11, 2017

I just realized this comes out a day after season 9's DVD and a week after the SpongeBob Comics: Treasure Chest. October is the month.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Man, I haven't read these comics in forever. It would be weird to get a subscription, and I haven't been to the comic store in months.

AquaticKonquest

Fudanshi
Is it me or are these comics quite small in size? Weren't they bigger before?

Only asking cuz the first nine issues are bigger than all the other SpongeBob comics I own - as in, they're A4 whereas all of these new issues are smaller than that. Might be because I bought those nine issues here where they had been printed in my country and not via a subscription when they're imported in from America, but I'm wondering if there may have been a point where they got smaller?

Also asking as someone who's jumped from #9 to #68 onwards, as well as picking up special issues in their local comic book store.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
I looked at Issue #2, it has 32 pages, the same amount as Issue #67. The issues may seem as if they've gotten smaller, since the comics are much longer in recent issues, thus allowing there to be a smaller amount of individual comics than the older issues had.

TheJasbre202

Jasbre
The Appetizer said:
What's everyone's thoughts on the "Lost Booty" multi-part serial that's been in the latest issues?
I think it was a great "Fake BTS" kind of thing season 1-3 SpongeBob kinda had with Patchy (Derek Drymon basically did both) and on the other hand, so far this year they've only released 1 normal issue (#65 from February) and the rest of the year was the 5-parter and rest of the 2-parter. I hope they cut down on those otherwise over half of the SB Comics series would be multi-parter comics.

My overall rating for the 5-parter, 8/10, the ending was epic, loved the art style and how they referenced older issues i have XD

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
The Lost Booty multi-part serial was alright. I wasn't really that into it, and SpongeBob Comics aren't as important to me as they were. The first 3 parts were pretty bland, and forgettable. Part 4 did spice things up a little bit, with the return of the card playing pirates, and the final part was definitely the best part. I mean, yeah, Doodles did appear in Part 3, which was a nice cameo appearance, but he didn't really add too much to the story. Ultimately, it was mediocre. Not as good as Showdown at Shady Shoals, and Mermaid Girl, but still not as bad as the Barnacle Bill storyline. I kind of wish that the comics stay away from multi-part serials for a while, since they aren't as good as the regular comics. I mean, if a big story takes up most of an issue, if it's bad, there's hardly any comics to fall back on, resulting in a bad issue. This is why I feel the comics particularly in the 50s suffered, primarily due to the big stories taking up most of the issue. The main reason I fell in love with SpongeBob Comics is because of the variety of different comics with different art styles. If a comic was awful, no big deal. There's probably an awesome one in the same issue. Whereas with the longer stories, there's not enough room for comics outside of the main story, Flotsam Jetsam, the middle poster, and SpongeFunnies. The 60s issues seemed to improve on this, but haven't quite reached the quality of the 40s comics. Hopefully the 70s comics improve.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
SPONGEBOB-COMICS-74.jpg

SPONGEBOB COMICS #74

(W) Corey Barba, Graham Annable, Corey Barba (A) Scott Roberts, Bill Alger, Maris Wicks (CA) Jacob Chabot

It’s our Finny Friendship Issue, celebrating aquatic affinity among the denizens of Bikini Bottom! See SpongeBob dare the dangers of dry land to save his (debatable) friendship with Squidward! Witness SpongeBob and Patrick fall out over a dumb TV cartoon program! Observe SpongeBob’s invisible imaginary friend-or at least read a good description of him! Plus: Squidward befriends a flower in “SpongeFunnies”; and science cartoonist Maris Wicks tells us about real world fish “friends” – sharks and remoras!

In Shops: Nov 08, 2017

TheJasbre202

Jasbre
DadMom AngryPants said:
SPONGEBOB-COMICS-74.jpg

SPONGEBOB COMICS #74

(W) Corey Barba, Graham Annable, Corey Barba (A) Scott Roberts, Bill Alger, Maris Wicks (CA) Jacob Chabot

It’s our Finny Friendship Issue, celebrating aquatic affinity among the denizens of Bikini Bottom! See SpongeBob dare the dangers of dry land to save his (debatable) friendship with Squidward! Witness SpongeBob and Patrick fall out over a dumb TV cartoon program! Observe SpongeBob’s invisible imaginary friend-or at least read a good description of him! Plus: Squidward befriends a flower in “SpongeFunnies”; and science cartoonist Maris Wicks tells us about real world fish “friends” – sharks and remoras!

In Shops: Nov 08, 2017
to me, looks like a generic issue, nothing special, at least it isn't a beginning to another 5-parter. :)

Supmandude

Squog
Just finally caught up buying these. I got all of them except for issue #1, since it a reprint is coming with SpongeBob Comics: Treasure Chest in October. I already have #2-30, the rest I just ordered. They're really great and I recommend everyone on Earth read them now! :D

Edit: Actually, I haven't ordered the Freestyle Funnies and Giant Swimtaculars yet. When I got the first 30, one of the sellers was kind enough to throw in some free comics, one of which was Freestyle Funnies 2015, so I don't need that one, but I need the rest. I'll get them after these arrive to see if any of the sellers are nice enough to throw in another free comic and if one of them happens to be one of them.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
I finally got to read all of the 5th Swimtacular, and it was pretty decent. While not as amazing as the first three Swimtaculars, this one was at least a little better than the 4th one. I really liked Krill: The Re-Conquerer, and Dangers and Dead Ends. These two were pretty good. Author Signing Today was pretty decent, and Sandy in the Wonderful Underful Land of Odd at least had some interesting visuals. The MermaidMan story wasn't the best, but Mermaid was a pretty funny ego-blind character.

Issue 71 is the best one I've seen in a while (The issue before this one that I consider to be a "great" issue is Issue 62). The main story, Shhhh!, was an awesome story, I really loved the creativity within it, and I liked the fast-paced nature of the strip.

The Flotsam and Jetsam Ocean Facts comic was pretty decent, alright visuals.

Pineapple Repairman wasn't too funny, nor did it make much sense, but the art style was pretty enjoyable.

Beach Diet wasn't too good in my opinion.

Also, the SpongeFunnies were actually surprisingly funny in this issue, I don't think I've seen actually funny SpongeFunnies since the 40s.

Squidward's Sunday Afternoon was pretty enjoyable.

If we get more experimental/one-shot issues in the 70s, I think the 70s might be the best era of issues in a while. The 50s was pretty bad, and the 60s were mediocre. Here's to hoping we can get away from the story-arcs, and return to the traditional style of SpongeBob Comics. :snap:

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
SPONGEBOB-COMICS-75.png

SPONGEBOB COMICS #75

(W) James Kochalka, Jay Lender (A) Jay Lender (A/CA) James Kochalka

Special SpongeFunnies Issue! James Kochalka’s off-model, chibi-like short SpongeBob strips have entertained readers since SpongeBob Comics #1-now “SpongeFunnies” are busting out into a full-length ultra-cute epic story – “Skate the Cake!” If you like SpongeBob, Squidward, skateboards, cakes, volcanoes, underwater deserts, and famous movie star Duke McGill, then you are cool. And you will love this issue! Also inside: Sandy’s chore day goes awry; a pirate club recruits SpongeBob; and Patrick bounces stuff off his belly! All this plus “Ocean Facts” from Maris Wicks!

In Shops: Dec 13, 2017

Back