XETV-TDT

imrustyokay

Twitter: @imrustyokay
So, I may be the only one outside of San Diego who really cares about this, but I find this really interesting. At Midnight, on May 31, 2017, The CW Moved from Channel 6 to Channel 8.2 in San Diego, CA.

What's so interesting about that? It's just a simple change of numbers.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.jpg

Actually, this is the end of a big era. This is the end of all English language on Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico TV station, XETV. They have been running English-language programming since it's start in 1953. They have been running that for 64 years. So, why did a station broadcasting in English end up in the Spanish-speaking Mexico?

Well, Tijuana needed a couple stations, and the Channels in San Diego already had (Channels 8 and 10) didn't get good reception, plus there was a freeze in place for New U.S. Station licenses, that would continue through 1956, so XETV was born as a Bilingual Independent. Along with XEWT, which is Spanish speaking only. Anyway, XETV soon made a name for itself, gaining San Diego's ABC affiliate from 1956-1973, they also aired the first ever infomercials on seen on American TVs, due to a loophole of it being a Mexican station and thus, exempt from FCC Advertising rules at the time. In 1986, they gained the Fox Affiliation, and later started to Affiliate with The CW.

However, with the rise of digital television, cable, Netflix, and digital subchannels, not to mention the election, made XETV look more obsolete. As such, The CW and XETV couldn't agree on a deal, and CW moved from Channel 6 to KFMB-DT2 at Midnight May 31, 2017. With XETV Switching to the Mexican Network, Canal 5.

Here's the final sign-off an a bit of the last English language program aired on the station. Spoilers: It's a little disappointing, no mention of the fact that it's their final day of broadcasting in one language, but at least they went out in a dignified way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfWYwDlzfGw

Geez, I wrote a lot. Anyway, Hope you enjoyed my rambling, and hope the mods don't delete this topic.

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
I never pay attention to the local channels, but what makes me mad is that I can't catch my favorite shows such as Rocket Monkeys on KidsClickTV because we don't have it here >:((

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
I remember when it was a big deal in my area when my local NBC affiliate swapped affiliations with my local FOX affiliate in my area in 1995, and when my PAX TV affiliate became a WB affiliate in 1999.

imrustyokay said:
So, I may be the only one outside of San Diego who really cares about this, but I find this really interesting. At Midnight, on May 31, 2017, The CW Moved from Channel 6 to Channel 8.2 in San Diego, CA.

What's so interesting about that? It's just a simple change of numbers.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.jpg

Actually, this is the end of a big era. This is the end of all English language on Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico TV station, XETV. They have been running English-language programming since it's start in 1953. They have been running that for 64 years. So, why did a station broadcasting in English end up in the Spanish-speaking Mexico?

Well, Tijuana needed a couple stations, and the Channels in San Diego already had (Channels 8 and 10) didn't get good reception, plus there was a freeze in place for New U.S. Station licenses, that would continue through 1956, so XETV was born as a Bilingual Independent. Along with XEWT, which is Spanish speaking only. Anyway, XETV soon made a name for itself, gaining San Diego's ABC affiliate from 1956-1973, they also aired the first ever infomercials on seen on American TVs, due to a loophole of it being a Mexican station and thus, exempt from FCC Advertising rules at the time. In 1986, they gained the Fox Affiliation, and later started to Affiliate with The CW.

However, with the rise of digital television, cable, Netflix, and digital subchannels, not to mention the election, made XETV look more obsolete. As such, The CW and XETV couldn't agree on a deal, and CW moved from Channel 6 to KFMB-DT2 at Midnight May 31, 2017. With XETV Switching to the Mexican Network, Canal 5.

Here's the final sign-off an a bit of the last English language program aired on the station. Spoilers: It's a little disappointing, no mention of the fact that it's their final day of broadcasting in one language, but at least they went out in a dignified way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfWYwDlzfGw

Geez, I wrote a lot. Anyway, Hope you enjoyed my rambling, and hope the mods don't delete this topic.
Another interesting thing about XETV-TDT, now that it is affiliated with Canal 5, is that if you have a device that allows you to switch the SAP audio from Spanish to English, you can watch the the shows in English if you don't understand Spanish. You can watch SpongeBob with a TV antenna (plus a digital-analog converter if you have a CRT TV) on Canal 5 in San Diego and in many other U.S. cities along U.S.-Mexico border. It's a cord cutter's dream!

imrustyokay

Twitter: @imrustyokay
SpongeBobfan1987 said:
I remember when it was a big deal in my area when my local NBC affiliate swapped affiliations with my local FOX affiliate in my area in 1995, and when my PAX TV affiliate became a WB affiliate in 1999.

Another interesting thing about XETV-TDT, now that it is affiliated with Canal 5, is that if you have a device that allows you to switch the SAP audio from Spanish to English, you can watch the the shows in English if you don't understand Spanish. You can watch SpongeBob with a TV antenna (plus a digital-analog converter if you have a CRT TV) on Canal 5 in San Diego and in many other U.S. cities along U.S.-Mexico border. It's a cord cutter's dream!
Huh, I guess that the spirit of XETV Lives on.

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
Televisa has worked out deals with the Cartoon Network Mexico and Nickelodeon Mexico to offer their programs on Canal 5. Before the year 2000, the channel offered kids programming from Disney alongside a bunch of original Televisa programming.

Before XETV-TDT 6 was home to Canal 5, XHBJ-TV 45 (now a GalaTV affiliate) was home to Canal 5. Canal 5 moved channel XETV-TV 6.0 and 6.2 during the 2009 digital transition (6.2 was still San Diego 6 - The CW at this time). Eventually channel 6.0 was decommissioned, leaving 6.1 (CW) and 6.2 (Canal 5). In late spring, KFMB-TV 8.2 became CW's new home, causing XETV-TDT 6 to play "musical chairs" with the position of their networks, by decommissioning 6.2, and placing Canal 5 on 6.1 shortly after XETV-TDT made their final sign-off, complete with the Mexican National Anthem.

The only Mexican-owned TV stations serving the United States left are as followed:

In Tijuana, BN, MX/San Diego, CA, USA:
XHAS-TDT 33.1 (Azteca America)
XHAS-TDT 33.2 (LATV)
XHDTV-TDT 49.1 (MyNetworkTV)

In Matamoros, TA, MX/McAllen, TX, USA:
XHRIO-TDT 15.1 (The CW)

NerdyKairi

Kairi is Back
SpongeBobfan1987 said:
Televisa has worked out deals with the Cartoon Network Mexico and Nickelodeon Mexico to offer their programs on Canal 5. Before the year 2000, the channel offered kids programming from Disney alongside a bunch of original Televisa programming.
They Aired Disney shows? Eh, i wished they could get deals with Disney, since Azteca doesn't really air cartoons anymore, I know they airing anime, but it's not the same and they do play Disney movies, eh, i'm fine with there programing but gosh, they play the same episodes of SpongeBob and it gets annoying, glad they airing different episodes and they made some few changes. Prior to that it was the same thing over and over again.

Back