Writers, Here's How To Make Spongebob Great Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
SpongeCob said:
SpongeBob getting longer pants is not creative and/or substantial.
That's 1 episode. That's like if I said season 3 sucked because it had Party Pooper Pants.

Plus SB LongPants was good imo.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
If the thread is such a disaster, why just comment about it, rather than actually making an effort to fix it, and get back on topic?

Sometimes a simple plot is all you need, when you have plenty of jokes for it to fall back on. Just look at Chocolate with Nuts. Probably one of the least original plots of the series, yet it's full of hilarious characters and jokes that manage to make the episode stand out for it's clever wit.

ScumBob

sicko m0de
Also, yeah Season 10 had episodes with really strange and peculiar plots (Snooze, Whirly Brains) but that doesn't mean they weren't creative. That doesn't automatically mean they're good either but that's beside the point.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
SpongeCob said:
never said that part was irrelevant
The 2nd part is relevant because it shows you don't need a great plot for SpongeBob. I'm disagreeing with the OP. I don't like season 10 that much but I find a lot of E-Man's points to be poor and surface level.

ScumBob

sicko m0de
Honest Slug said:
The 2nd part is relevant because it shows you don't need a great plot for SpongeBob. I'm disagreeing with the OP. I don't like season 10 that much but I find a lot of E-Man's points to be poor and surface level.
yeah, LongPants can set a good example for how simpler plots can be beneficial to episodes, so they can focus more on gags. I don't agree with OP either (I thought I made it clear in my other post), and I don't think the show needs great stories for episodes

Night-Waker

Moby Dollar
McSponge said:
If the thread is such a disaster, why just comment about it, rather than actually making an effort to fix it, and get back on topic?

Sometimes a simple plot is all you need, when you have plenty of jokes for it to fall back on. Just look at Chocolate with Nuts. Probably one of the least original plots of the series, yet it's full of hilarious characters and jokes that manage to make the episode stand out for it's clever wit.
Eh, true.

Anyway, admittedly I haven't watched too much season 9B and 10, but like others have said, the show can do simple premises. Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing the show do more with the secondary characters and do something other than another "Plankton attempts to steal the formula for the 127464th time" or "SpongeBob and Patrick ruin Squidward's day" plot (I think the show has been starting to move away from that lately but I could be wrong), but at the same time we don't need anything that's totally out there.

Michael Scott

Giant Clam
SpongeCob said:
SpongeBob getting longer pants is not creative and/or substantial.
You're missing my point about the plot being "substantial" There are several episodes in season 10 such as Whirly Brains, Code Yellow, Spongebob's Place, and Burst Your Bubble where the "stories" are just one conflict that comes up halfway though and solved instantly. Spongebob Longpants had a clear conflict of Spongebob missing his old life. While this was easily solved at the end of the episode, it wasn't instantly solved. The conflict was clear throughout the whole episode, and was focused. It may of been a simple story, but the conflict was actually a driving point in the episode, rather than something haphazardly put in. I will admit that episodes with little conflict can work due to good comedy (Patrick the Game), but even those are still focused on something. The humor in Patrick the Game, rather than just being mindless slapstick, was focused on the characters interacting while playing the game. That is what the episode was focused on. Compare that to something like Whirly Brains where most of the episode is nothing but Spongebob and Patrick playing with their brains. That was it. The "conflict" was forced in at the last minute, and the rest of the episode was just mindless slapstick. You understand what I am saying?
McSponge said:
Which I agree with. Stories in episodes such as Chocolate with Nuts work because the conflict and focus is clear throughout the episode. The humor partly came from the conflict and the story.
Night-Waker said:
Anyway, admittedly I haven't watched too much season 9B and 10, but like others have said, the show can do simple premises. Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing the show do more with the secondary characters and do something other than another "Plankton attempts to steal the formula for the 127464th time" or "SpongeBob and Patrick ruin Squidward's day" plot (I think the show has been starting to move away from that lately but I could be wrong), but at the same time we don't need anything that's totally out there.
I agree.
McSponge said:
Larry's Gym and Mall Girl Pearl perfectly demonstrates how to properly do a simple, yet charming plot.
Again, I agree. Those episodes had clear conflicts with a clear beginning, middle, and end, and were used to tell jokes that weren't just slapstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back