Writers, Here's How To Make Spongebob Great Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Joined
Nov 21, 2015
Messages
4,255
Likes
5,023
Location
Washington
SpongeCob said:
SpongeBob getting longer pants is not creative and/or substantial.
That's 1 episode. That's like if I said season 3 sucked because it had Party Pooper Pants.

Plus SB LongPants was good imo.
 

McSponge

New Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2017
Messages
862
Likes
1,209
Location
America
If the thread is such a disaster, why just comment about it, rather than actually making an effort to fix it, and get back on topic?

Sometimes a simple plot is all you need, when you have plenty of jokes for it to fall back on. Just look at Chocolate with Nuts. Probably one of the least original plots of the series, yet it's full of hilarious characters and jokes that manage to make the episode stand out for it's clever wit.
 

SpongeCob

sicko m0de
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
2,805
Likes
3,077
Location
in your house
Also, yeah Season 10 had episodes with really strange and peculiar plots (Snooze, Whirly Brains) but that doesn't mean they weren't creative. That doesn't automatically mean they're good either but that's beside the point.
 

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Joined
Nov 21, 2015
Messages
4,255
Likes
5,023
Location
Washington
SpongeCob said:
never said that part was irrelevant
The 2nd part is relevant because it shows you don't need a great plot for SpongeBob. I'm disagreeing with the OP. I don't like season 10 that much but I find a lot of E-Man's points to be poor and surface level.
 

SpongeCob

sicko m0de
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
2,805
Likes
3,077
Location
in your house
Honest Slug said:
The 2nd part is relevant because it shows you don't need a great plot for SpongeBob. I'm disagreeing with the OP. I don't like season 10 that much but I find a lot of E-Man's points to be poor and surface level.
yeah, LongPants can set a good example for how simpler plots can be beneficial to episodes, so they can focus more on gags. I don't agree with OP either (I thought I made it clear in my other post), and I don't think the show needs great stories for episodes
 

Night-Waker

Active Member
Joined
May 14, 2015
Messages
301
Likes
239
Location
SpongeBob's trash can
McSponge said:
If the thread is such a disaster, why just comment about it, rather than actually making an effort to fix it, and get back on topic?

Sometimes a simple plot is all you need, when you have plenty of jokes for it to fall back on. Just look at Chocolate with Nuts. Probably one of the least original plots of the series, yet it's full of hilarious characters and jokes that manage to make the episode stand out for it's clever wit.
Eh, true.

Anyway, admittedly I haven't watched too much season 9B and 10, but like others have said, the show can do simple premises. Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing the show do more with the secondary characters and do something other than another "Plankton attempts to steal the formula for the 127464th time" or "SpongeBob and Patrick ruin Squidward's day" plot (I think the show has been starting to move away from that lately but I could be wrong), but at the same time we don't need anything that's totally out there.
 

Michael Scott

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2017
Messages
591
Likes
303
Location
Gravity Falls, Oregon
SpongeCob said:
SpongeBob getting longer pants is not creative and/or substantial.
You're missing my point about the plot being "substantial" There are several episodes in season 10 such as Whirly Brains, Code Yellow, Spongebob's Place, and Burst Your Bubble where the "stories" are just one conflict that comes up halfway though and solved instantly. Spongebob Longpants had a clear conflict of Spongebob missing his old life. While this was easily solved at the end of the episode, it wasn't instantly solved. The conflict was clear throughout the whole episode, and was focused. It may of been a simple story, but the conflict was actually a driving point in the episode, rather than something haphazardly put in. I will admit that episodes with little conflict can work due to good comedy (Patrick the Game), but even those are still focused on something. The humor in Patrick the Game, rather than just being mindless slapstick, was focused on the characters interacting while playing the game. That is what the episode was focused on. Compare that to something like Whirly Brains where most of the episode is nothing but Spongebob and Patrick playing with their brains. That was it. The "conflict" was forced in at the last minute, and the rest of the episode was just mindless slapstick. You understand what I am saying?
McSponge said:
Sometimes a simple plot is all you need, when you have plenty of jokes for it to fall back on. Just look at Chocolate with Nuts. Probably one of the least original plots of the series, yet it's full of hilarious characters and jokes that manage to make the episode stand out for it's clever wit.
Which I agree with. Stories in episodes such as Chocolate with Nuts work because the conflict and focus is clear throughout the episode. The humor partly came from the conflict and the story.
Night-Waker said:
Anyway, admittedly I haven't watched too much season 9B and 10, but like others have said, the show can do simple premises. Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing the show do more with the secondary characters and do something other than another "Plankton attempts to steal the formula for the 127464th time" or "SpongeBob and Patrick ruin Squidward's day" plot (I think the show has been starting to move away from that lately but I could be wrong), but at the same time we don't need anything that's totally out there.
I agree.
McSponge said:
Larry's Gym and Mall Girl Pearl perfectly demonstrates how to properly do a simple, yet charming plot.
Again, I agree. Those episodes had clear conflicts with a clear beginning, middle, and end, and were used to tell jokes that weren't just slapstick.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top