Windows XP

I know a lot of people like Windows XP and I like it too! The nostalgia is strong with this one. That classic startup and shutdown sound, memories of getting Nick Arcade games on there, it was great. Computers were obviously not as evolved at the time but the peaceful feel of Windows XP makes nostalgia for it all too good. Unfortunately, support for the OS ended already, but it will be one of the most notable Windows OS's they ever made. Discuss the OS here and all nostalgia of it!

Mister Visitor

Moby Dollar
I agree with you! I personally love how Microsoft's goal when developing it was to make the Windows operating system as user-friendly as possible at the time. This thought process is most likely what we have to thank for the oh so classic blue title bars, that awesome Out of Box experience, and that nostalgic desktop background Bliss.

member 9373

gosh i love windows xp!! the interface and aesthetic it uses is honestly great. it captures that early web vibe so well. it definitely looks a bit clumsy compared to how sleek modern os design is, but that's exactly what gives it its charm. that jarring, vibrant blue and green clash horribly, but in a fun, early 2000s way. aesthetically, it's a disaster, but one with such unique charm. it reminds me of old geocitites websites. too bad it's obsolete nowadays, if i could i would absolutely use nothing but it. i think the old, outdated internet is beautiful itself. it invokes such deep feelings of mystery and nostalgia, even if you weren't around when it was in its prime. i even have a blog dedicated to showcasing the beauty of the old web... i really love it a lot, possibly way too much. i tend to find a lot of beauty in weird things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKricIeeru0
check out this song that was meant to play during windows xp installation!! it's midi tune with such an ethereal vibe that really captures the essence of the os. the grace of the song combined with the compressed sounds of a midi file really give the feeling of early 2000s technology. funny thing is, a lot of people didn't hear it because it was set to play before their audio drivers were set up

and who could forget clippy!!

Mister Visitor

Moby Dollar
Pearlshine said:
check out this song that was meant to play during windows xp installation!! it's midi tune with such an ethereal vibe that really captures the essence of the os. the grace of the song combined with the compressed sounds of a midi file really give the feeling of early 2000s technology. funny thing is, a lot of people didn't hear it because it was set to play before their audio drivers were set up

Fun Fact actually: that isn't a midi file but rather a neat little .wav file that's located within the system32 folder.
If I remember correctly, it should be located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\images\title.wav !

member 9373

Sonicdude2355 said:
Fun Fact actually: that isn't a midi file but rather a neat little .wav file that's located within the system32 folder.
If I remember correctly, it should be located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\images\title.wav !
oh shoot, you're absolutely correct!! my memory failed me, plus i freakin love midis so i just assumed lol

i'm a big fan of the other tunes that come with it too, like onestop.mid. now that's a jam!

Mister Visitor

Moby Dollar
Pearlshine said:
oh shoot, you're absolutely correct!! my memory failed me, plus i freakin love midis so i just assumed lol

i'm a big fan of the other tunes that come with it too, like onestop.mid. now that's a jam!
Last time I'll be a nostalgia critic corrector, but onestop actually wasn't on XP :sweat:
It was only on the earlier 9x Operating systems ^^

Still, onestop is some good stuff although I'm more of a canyon.mid man myself

Last time I'll correct you though!

member 9373

Sonicdude2355 said:
Last time I'll be a nostalgia critic corrector, but onestop actually wasn't on XP :sweat:
It was only on the earlier 9x Operating systems ^^

Still, onestop is some good stuff although I'm more of a canyon.mid man myself

Last time I'll correct you though!
GOSH DARNIT FREAKIN' HECK
i can't seem to get anything right today >=(

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
XP was definitely a game changer. Honestly could probably still use it as a daily OS without hating it too much. The taskbar wasn't quite a good with the stacking and there would be a few file explorer things that I'd like from windows 7 but XP definitely holds up pretty well. The bliss wallpapers is classic
Now that I think about it.. would be kinda interesting to try using windows XP for a week or something lol.. probably would have a bunch of programs that wouldn't work

Mister Visitor

Moby Dollar
abney317 said:
XP was definitely a game changer. Honestly could probably still use it as a daily OS without hating it too much. The taskbar wasn't quite a good with the stacking and there would be a few file explorer things that I'd like from windows 7 but XP definitely holds up pretty well. The bliss wallpapers is classic
Now that I think about it.. would be kinda interesting to try using windows XP for a week or something lol.. probably would have a bunch of programs that wouldn't work
I personally have a completely separate desktop computer from like 2006 that I got from a Garage sale for $2 because it was old enough to have Windows XP as it's preinstalled OS. I bought it for nostalgia reasons, so then I wouldn't have to stick to virtual machine software and could get an authentic experience.

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Windows XP is my first version when I started playing the computer when I was 7. There was no problem with the costly registration, unlike Windows 7, 8 and 10 (although, I'm now using Windows 10 & I also like it).

warblower99

Chop those gravy bars
Wow I remember Windows XP from when I was a toddler. I too played Nick Arcade games on it and first got introduced to YouTube and the Internet via it. Plus there was Purble Place.

Purble Place was the best.

Chris

Floridian
Windows XP was better than Windows Vista.

It was an amazing operating system for sure.

Windows XP was 2001.

Windows Vista was 2006.

Windows 7 was 2009.

Windows 8 was 2012.

Windows 10 was 2015.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
Chris said:
Windows XP was better than Windows Vista.

It was an amazing operating system for sure.

Windows XP was 2001.

Windows Vista was 2006.

Windows 7 was 2009.

Windows 8 was 2012.

Windows 10 was 2015.
I honestly never had an issue with Vista. A lot of those errors were user errors from everyone else.

Back