Why isn't there a Spongebob Christmas Carol?

Famixofpower

Baby Clam
I remember coming up with the idea close to ten years ago. I'm gonna write out the basic layout I have of it so far in my head

The show's got a perfect setup for it.

Scrooge - Mr. Krabs

“If they would rather dine elsewhere, they had better do it, and decrease the customer population.”

Bob Cratchet - Spongebob

Spongebob's family - The snails he adopted in the episode where Gary befriends Patrick. I'm thinking Gary has a cracked shell and takes the role of tiny tim. Maybe we could roll with just him in the family and have Squidward take a similar role to Bob Cratchett's wife, as they both hate the "Scrooge" character, and maybe Squidward in this particular story has taken on the role of helping take care of the snails, maybe having his snail from the snail race episode return as an excuse for him to be hanging around in Spongebob's house.

Jacob Marley - The Flying Dutchman cursing Mr. Krabs for his greediness. Mr. Krabs has been cursed multiple times for his greediness, perhaps this is the final straw now.

First Ghost - I dunno, maybe Sandy, since she uses logic the most and has a lot of nostalgia for Texas in the way Mr. Krabs does for the past we show in the episode. Spongebob may be a good role as the first ghost, too, since it could be a great idea to set up the ghosts as taking the forms of people Krabs has taken advantage of in the Krusty Krab.

Ghost of [Fish Holiday] Present (my personal favorite ghost) - Squidward-based ghost, since Squidward can be the most serious. Takes Mr. Krabs on a journey to see Pearl's speepover making fun of Krabs, Squidward in a depression due to his terrible job, and Spongebob unable to pay for Gary's shell transplant. This may create an issue, since there may be a scene with both Squidwards, but the outfits and clear communication should help kids tell the difference.

"Tell me, spirit, what's wrong with that tiny snail?

Much, I'm afraid. If these shadows remain unchanged, I see an empty bowl where Gary once ate."

Ghost of [Fish Holiday] Yet-To-Come - We have a large aura of suspense. A hooded faceless figure in a realm of smoke after the second ghost has left. Krabs is clearly terrified. The figure looms closer, as the camera cuts become more and more dramatic. The figure removes the hood to reveal . . . PATRICK? as he delivers some silly line like "HO-HO-HO!", forgetting what role he is in. In line with the show's humor, and much needed comic relief for the kids, since the final act is a little too dark for Spongebob. This is more in-line with classic Patrick: non-intelligent, yet wise (so much that in classic episodes Spongebob would come to him for advice that Patrick was pretty good at giving). He shows a future with Spongebob without Gary, Mr. Krabs belongings sold for cheap to recurring side-characters, and most shockingly, a more successful Krusty Krab ran by Plankton (or maybe Pearl, who takes the role of Fred, being a few years older in this story and having moved out and living somewhere else in this story), since he's able to care more for the employees than Mr. Krabs ever did. The place is also much cleaner. The final sequence would probably mimic the "I ain't old scene", but "I ain't evil anymore" or something as Patrick leads him to the graveyard

The final Christmas feast would involve Spongebob, Squidward, Patrick, and the snails. Squidward would obviously get the quote about giving Mr. Krabs a piece of his mind before Mr. Krabs raises their salaries.

Of course, none of this would be canon, unless people really want it to be.

I'm thinking it'd be cool, too, if The French Narrator returns to voice some lines from the book, of course adapted to the Spongebob universe.

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
This is totally something the show could and SHOULD do! Now I wish you worked on the show. Because apparently they can’t accept ideas from fans. 🥺 But dammit, your idea is too clever. I love it!! 👏

MPack

Bomb-Selling Pirate
They HAVE to make a SB Christmas Carol episode. Thats actually an excellent idea for a Christmas special!

Famixofpower

Baby Clam
This is totally something the show could and SHOULD do! Now I wish you worked on the show. Because apparently they can’t accept ideas from fans. 🥺 But dammit, your idea is too clever. I love it!! 👏
Wait, really? I remember some shows doing episodes requested by fans, like Edger and Ellen, but I didn't know Spongebob couldn't.
:sad:

I wonder if I could come up with any other ideas for a resume or something

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
I've had this thought for a while, but have Mr. Krabs' and Squidward's roles reversed (Krabs would be Bob Cratchett;Squidward would be Ebenezer Scrooge)

I can't believe Nick hasn't done this as a Christmas special!

How is it Mickey Mouse got an adaptation of A Christmas Carol before SpongeBob SquarePants?!?

CannedBread

Moby Dollar
Considering they ripped off charlie and the chocolate factory, and it was terrible, I don't think I would want them to make another parody.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
Yeah but I think they would actually do well with adapting "A Christmas Carol" because that's closer to the show's structure than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was with Atlantis SquarePantis

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
Yeah but I think they would actually do well with adapting "A Christmas Carol" because that's closer to the show's structure than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was with Atlantis SquarePantis
I have NEVER made the connection that Atlantis SquarePantis was a reference to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Woah! 😯 You learn something new every day.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
Neither did I until I actually watched the episode

SpongeBob SquarePants, Patrick Star, Mr. Krabs, Plankton, Squidward Tentacles, and Sandy Cheeks were basically like Charlie Buckets, Augustus Gloop, Mike Teevee, Veruca Salt, and Violet Beauregard

And the character voiced by David Bowie was basically Willy Wonka while the Atlantian Palace was basically the Wonka Chocolate Factory!

In both "Atlantis SquarePantis" and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the visitors and the contest winners each had their one-note personality traits on full display and got eliminated until only one was left (or two in the case of Atlantis SquarePantis)

Also, the henchmen were like Oompa-Loompas except they didn't sing

So yeah, Atlantis SquarePantis was nothing more than a knock-off/parody of the Willy Wonka story

Last edited:

MPack

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I've had this thought for a while, but have Mr. Krabs' and Squidward's roles reversed (Krabs would be Bob Cratchett;Squidward would be Ebenezer Scrooge)

How is it Mickey Mouse got an adaptation of A Christmas Carol before SpongeBob SquarePants?!?
I think SpongeBob would make a perfect Bob Crachit.

Famixofpower

Baby Clam

I don't think it would work, to be honest. Squidward might have a "whatever" personality, but it's mostly the Nick writers torturing him instead of him being cruel to others, and in episodes where he is mean, he usually makes ammends quickly, going as far as selling his house to give the town Christmas when he thinks Santa isn't real and wants Spongebob to be happy.

Mr. Krabs, however, shares several similarities with Scrooge. He cares only for money, kicked out an entire retirement home to buy the Krusty Krab for cheap (some stories have Marley talk about kicking out an orphanage behind on rent), barely pays his employees at all, to the point it's been shown they pay him to work there, disappointed Pearl with cheap dollar store boots after telling her he got her boots that he can probably afford in less than a day's wages, poisoned the town (and himself once) by refusing to throw away old Krabby Patties, once went rabbid over the thought of having to pay Sandy for a bounty on the head of The Worm, makes Patrick work for him for free sometimes despite not being under any contract, abducted the entirety of Jellyfish Fields, made his employees stay at work for 24 hours for days (also did this in Grave Yard Shift, where it's implied they'll not be going home for a long time), etc.

I seriously could keep going on. His greed causes him to do a lot of terrible stuff. If this becomes an episode, we might even be able to fit in a fourth ghost or a flashback scene of all of his worst deeds throughout the show, especially if it's used as a season finale.

In fact, I just realized, whenever Mr. Krabs is a bad guy in an episode, he often makes no amends and learns nothing at the end. Perfect setup for Scrooge, as Scrooge's mistakes in life burrowed him deeper and deeper into his hate and love for money

Famixofpower

Baby Clam
I think SpongeBob would make a perfect Bob Crachit.

If you think about it, he already is Bob Crachit. He works for a mean dude, but only sees the good in him, even if it doesn't exist, and tries to be a part of his boss' life, despite Krabs hating it. Spongebob does occasionally snap, but it's usually in extreme circumstances, and so did Kermit before his role as Bob.

Back