Why is Squidward written so badly now?

Stimul

Banished
as the world's greatest and biggest squidward fan, I've always wondered why no one questions this awful, disgusting writing of one of animation's greatest characters. I'm serious. WHY IS EVERYONE OKAY THAT THE BEST CHARACTER IS BEING WRITTEN INTO AN INSANE, JERKISH DUMB GOOFBALL?? IT'S STILL ABUSING THE CHARACTER! It's not crafting Squidward into the potential and development he has as a character, instead, it's destroying a once great character and turning him into a whole new character, and flanderizing him by turning certain aspects or tropes of him up to eleven for the sake of this new, horrible era of wacky ren and stimpy garbage. It disgusts me. Squidward deserves to be written with love and care, understanding of the character and refining him by revealing more of his artsy and cheerier side to him. Enough of this redundant annoyance. Enough of making him get abuse for no reason or abusing him by making him out of character so braindead fans say "OH HHhahahahaha HE DEESERVED IT SO ITS OKAY". its not funny to the squidward dieheards like ya boy. this character deserves way more, and no one cares but me.

the fact that we have wacky animation ripping off ren and stimpy or looney tunes is the reason why animation is dead now and we don't get artsier, more clever and intelligent animation anymore. now it's just goofy wacky bull and simplified boring "artsy" animation that's progressive or whatever but isn't since it's all the same.

discuss discuss discuss

Stimul

Banished
The show has taken a much more cartoony route since Season 10, and unfortunately Squidward's original personality would be too tame for the kind of show we have now.
more like season 9b. I knew something was off ever since Tutor Sauce and lost in bikini bottom aired. Heck, was on this same forum that year and was called crazy when I became the prophet all along. Jack Pendarvis and Kyle McCulloch really shouldn’t be near the best character, though it doesn’t matter since everyone is forced to write like crap under this cursed style. It’s been five years now, it HAS to be tiring or not age well eventually...

MASTER OF BIKINI BOTTOM XD

Part Computer or Something
Seasons 9b-11 had clever writing and Squidward felt genuine as a character

But the later Season 11 (Ink Lemonade, Squirrel Jelly, Goons on the Moon (That one was good though) and 12... IS THIS EVEN CONSIDERED SPONGEBOB ANYMORE?

What a classic SpongeBob fan wants. Clever story writing, tridimensional characters, classic humor, maybe a lesson and INTELLIGENCE

Is that so hard?... I like Season 12 but neither of those episodes is even close to Post Sequel SpongeBob... (PRE-MOVIE AND SEASON 4 ARE IRREPLACEABLE), but this fast-paced, Looney Tunes Esque episodes are not memorable by any means.

In Seasons 9b-11 we got

Squid Noir
Unreal Estate
Mustard O´Mine

And even now we got

Mind the Gap
Insecurity Guards
SpongeBob in Randomland

These episodes are greatly written and have all of these qualities, can we get these kind of quality instead?

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
I noticed it too. I also hate this crap Looney Tunes/Ren & Stimpy kind of stuff! They have DEFINITELY botched Squidward's personality, which I think started with Season 11's "Bunny Hunt" since that episode felt more like LT and R& S. This is part of why I no longer care about SpongeBob SquarePants!

Stimul

Banished

But the later Season 11 (Ink Lemonade, Squirrel Jelly, Goons on the Moon (That one was good though) and 12... IS THIS EVEN CONSIDERED SPONGEBOB ANYMORE?

What a classic SpongeBob fan wants. Clever story writing, tridimensional characters, classic humor, maybe a lesson and INTELLIGENCE

Is that so hard?... I like Season 12 but neither of those episodes is even close to Post Sequel SpongeBob... (PRE-MOVIE AND SEASON 4 ARE IRREPLACEABLE), but this fast-paced, Looney Tunes Esque episodes are not memorable by any means.

In Seasons 9b-11 we got

Squid Noir
Unreal Estate
Mustard O´Mine

And even now we got

Mind the Gap
Insecurity Guards
SpongeBob in Randomland

These episodes are greatly written and have all of these qualities, can we get these kind of quality instead?
absolutely HARD disagree, squidward has been written 99% like crap since 9B. Most episodes feature an unhindged, mentally deranged Squidward when we deserve a happier, artsier causal and cynical octopus. Which is what I do on my own. I saw Insecurity Guards and had to bump up IDM music since it depressed me awfully that night. Another nail in the coffin to a character that deserves love in his writing.

I noticed it too. I also hate this crap Looney Tunes/Ren & Stimpy kind of stuff! They have DEFINITELY botched Squidward's personality, which I think started with Season 11's "Bunny Hunt" since that episode felt more like LT and R& S. This is part of why I no longer care about SpongeBob SquarePants!
I agree with your point, but I legit have seen it since Tutor Sauce aired that something was off. also see what he does in episodes like the beginning of Pull Up a Barrel or that clone SpongeBob clone episode I forget the name of since it sucked, or the awful Company Picnic.

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0

In Seasons 9b-11 we got

Squid Noir
Unreal Estate
Mustard O´Mine

And even now we got

Mind the Gap
Insecurity Guards
SpongeBob in Randomland

Bro, I just wanna say, I agree with you 100% and I really respect your passion. I don’t understand all these people on the SpongeBob Fandom Wiki forums saying things like “This was such a great episode! 10/10” about all these crappy new episodes. People need to open their eyes to the mediocre quality that is some of these new episodes.

Also, I agree with you regarding Squidward’s character. He’s written without care nowadays, to the point where he even wished SpongeBob “got hit by a bus” or “caught a terminal disease” in Gary’s Got Legs, I believe. It makes me sick, knowing this is the same character who claims to have “always sort of liked” SpongeBob back in the episode Graveyard Shift, and cried over SpongeBob’s impending doom in the episode “Dying for Pie”. (Both episodes are my favorites, by the way.)

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
absolutely HARD disagree, squidward has been written 99% like crap since 9B. Most episodes feature an unhindged, mentally deranged Squidward when we deserve a happier, artsier causal and cynical octopus. Which is what I do on my own. I saw Insecurity Guards and had to bump up IDM music since it depressed me awfully that night. Another nail in the coffin to a character that deserves love in his writing.

I agree with your point, but I legit have seen it since Tutor Sauce aired that something was off. also see what he does in episodes like the beginning of Pull Up a Barrel or that clone SpongeBob clone episode I forget the name of since it sucked, or the awful Company Picnic.
I get you man. Sometimes after getting hyped for a new episode, only to be let down my poor writing and visuals, it literally makes me feel a sense of depression. I love this show so much, and while some episodes are decent (for example, I was able to enjoy Sharks vs Pods, CopyBob DittoPants, and Plankton Gets The Boot), many of them are just... meh. Like, if I’m yawning through a new episode, you know it’s bad. 😅

EditorWiki

Floating Shopping List
I don’t understand all these people on the SpongeBob Fandom Wiki forums saying things like “This was such a great episode! 10/10” about all these crappy new episodes. People need to open their eyes to the mediocre quality that is some of these new episodes.

Because people have different opinions from you, its okay.

I agree that Squidward constant "death" comments make me cringe but for me personally I still enjoy most of the episodes listed. I personally think Squidward's character has improved somewhat from Seasons 6-8, as he gets less tortured now constantly, or when he does, its creative and he wins in the end squidward torture has existed since the dawn of time in "Jellyfishing" .

Now Patrick on the other hand, has gotten dumb to the point its a problem (some eps it works like Gary and Spot) but most episodes, its a negative, but hey i'd take super dumb Pat than "season 6-8 jerk Patrick"

Stimul

Banished
I still see the Squidward torture to be relevant, there’s still plenty of slapstick happening against the character, but I still see it as extreme torture do to how he’s written mentally.

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
Squidward has always been the butt of the jokes in SpongeBob SquarePants. I dunno, I feel like the show is getting better in some areas and worsening significantly in others.

Sigh... Nothing is perfect.

MASTER OF BIKINI BOTTOM XD

Part Computer or Something
Bro, I just wanna say, I agree with you 100% and I really respect your passion. I don’t understand all these people on the SpongeBob Fandom Wiki forums saying things like “This was such a great episode! 10/10” about all these crappy new episodes. People need to open their eyes to the mediocre quality that is some of these new episodes.

Also, I agree with you regarding Squidward’s character. He’s written without care nowadays, to the point where he even wished SpongeBob “got hit by a bus” or “caught a terminal disease” in Gary’s Got Legs, I believe. It makes me sick, knowing this is the same character who claims to have “always sort of liked” SpongeBob back in the episode Graveyard Shift, and cried over SpongeBob’s impending doom in the episode “Dying for Pie”. (Both episodes are my favorites, by the way.)

Not to mention it Happens in Seasons 10 and 11 too

The fact that Squidward went to SpongeBob's Birthday in both SpongeBob Meets the Strangler and Big Birthday Blowout

The fact that Squid helps SpongeBob in Mind the Gap, Unreal Estate and Mimic Madness

The passion is still there, but it's barely noticable nowadays with some exceptions (Mind the Gap, Stormy Weather, Gary and Spot, Handemonium)

I still like Season 12, but it is not SpongeBob anymore

And I'll take any of that wackyness over.... Seasons 6-9a 🤢🤮

Cykamp

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
post sequel is a new era, change my mind

Back