Why is Patrick so mean to spongebob in the post movie seasons?

Noah Spongy

FIRETRUCK CLOWNS
He's not ALWAYS a jerk or stupid in post-movie. You remember when he...or when he said...how about that time he...what about Patrick SmartPants, does that count? No...gimme a minute...

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Because the new writers couldn't fully grasp the personalities of the characters they were writing.

Which is why Spongebob turned into a shrieking neurotic stalker, Patrick turned into a mentally defective jerk, and the writers forgot to give Squidward "jerk moments" to make his torment justified.

another example of the writers not understanding the tone of the show

jakey the (insert namehere

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Because the new writers couldn't fully grasp the personalities of the characters they were writing.

Which is why Spongebob turned into a shrieking neurotic stalker, Patrick turned into a mentally defective jerk, and the writers forgot to give Squidward "jerk moments" to make his torment justified.

that's actually a pretty accurate opinion. Thanks

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
Shows change overtime and either evolve or devolve or both or just stagnate altogether. Not saying that it excuses it but most shows that go on for a long period of time go through this. The Simpsons, this show, Family Guy, Looney Tunes, all sorts of things. They aren't static and as new people join and the veterans move on to other projects, that also changes the dynamic for better or worse or something about the show gets streamlined and watered down for some reason. Take your pick.

BaconUnicornsAndSpongeBob

This was one of the things that irked me. Patrick is being a bit of a jerk. I agree with Baby Smitty- The new writers do not fully understand the characters.

And this is not just Patrick that has changed- Squidward, Mr. Krabs, SpongeBob, and Sandy. The characters were just fine the way they were.

Squidward is more of a depressed freak who genuinely hates SpongeBob. Before the first movie, he did get annoyed by SB, but he didn't want him dead.

Mr. Krabs has changed too. Before, he used to care about his employees and customers. And when his money obsession got too far, be was punished for it. Now, all he cares is about money. In the episode "You're Fired" it doesn't make any sense because Mr. Krabs would never fire SB, or Squidward.

SpongeBob. Probably the one who changed the most. He used to be lovable and sweet and not as childish and annoying as he is now. SB was always childish, but before he was mature when he needed to be. I mean, the guy is almost [bold] 30! [/bold] Well, at least stated in his drivers license. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like SB is getting angrier easily, like Squidward.

Sandy. Didn't change too much, but enough for people to notice. For example, she used to play karate with SB, and didn't focus on science that much. She used to be the proud athletic type, but now she's all about science.

The point is, the characters have changed too much. I'm sure most of us want the old SB back. The post-movie episodes are ok, but we want Stephen back. And he's coming back, which is great news.

PinkPearl

insert title here
I was going to say that maybe it could be attributed to his being stupid, but as I read the above posts I guess it's probably because the new writers just didn't know how to convey their personalities. Everyone's sort of a simplified version of what they were, and not in a good way. That includes Patrick. Patrick's new jerky persona is precisely why I voted for Fred in the March Madness tourney. Fred may be dramatic, but at least he's not a jerk.

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
Well, this may be true, but we should all still be happy that Patrick for the most part stays in character. BTW, the show has been improving their characters as of late in seasons 8 and 9 :)

Supmandude

Squog
He's not. He's still nice as could be and SpongeBob's bestest friend in the whole wide world. He just happens to be a hilarious idiot. :)

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar

Spongebob is not the creepy stalker from season 6 anymore (actually he was a stalker in few episodes).

I agree that Patrick kinda took a level in jerkass.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
I'm just going to say now that what happened to Patrick's character in post-movie Spongebob is absolutely nothing to what happened to Mister Krabs in season 3. I refuse to not be frustrated by that.

Spider-man

Flying Dutchman's Sock
Patrick has always been a jerk to Spongebob, it just wasn't as common back then as it is now.

Because after 15 years, you would think a character would change.. They just didn't change for the better for the most part.

Back