Unlikeability:
SpongeBob
Puffy Fluffy
Animal abuse
"Torture ::dolphin noise::"
The climax

Highlight: The foreshadowing

Opinion:
While this is definitely not a good episode, A Pal For Gary marked a decent role at executing the writing and animation, even if the characters and humor need improvement. First off, I'll talk about SpongeBob, whose motives have reason to keep Gary company at home, by giving him a pal to play with. Due to SpongeBob's naiveté when he first encountered Puffy Fluffy and ignoring the nudibranch seller's warning, he thought Puffy Fluffy was just an innocent and cute creature at first sight + throughout the episode and believed the two would make out, which hen led to the climax where SpongeBob STILL believed Gary was wrecking havoc with Puffy Fluffy became a monster, destroying his character in the process. However, I find people bashing the 2nd half only, but not the 1st half because the 2nd half is where the infamy began. What's in the first half? A smoothly told setup where it all puts foreshadowing and the infamy in place where SpongeBob is worried that Gary is alone in the house. Remember that Gary was distracted to answer SpongeBob's phone call while watching a western show , all of that foreshadowing him saving the day when he learned to rope his opponents, therefore driving Puffy Fluffy out of the house. You thought it was unresponsible that Gary shouldn't do, but it surprisingly save him and SpongeBob during Puffy Fluffy's reign. Once again, Mr. Krabs is quite likable in this episode when he was generous to his local customer and his pet by offering then 2 Krabby Patties. And let's not forget SpongeBob's problem being solved when Gary wen to work and Mr. Krabs still being happy because he thought it was free labor, though it contradicts a rule in the Krusty Krab. And Puffy Fluffy? He's like a comedy clichè except more interesting. Traits include going unstable in over other house pets and especially when he goes into monster form, he can open 4 mouths out of his mouth, including his growth to look like one of those wild animals from Feral Friends. The cliche isn't anything special, but using these facts to make up this antagonist is what executes this clichè into something new. Also, there is at least a joke in this episode like when he can was bouncing across the kitchen, then hitting SpongeBob on the process in the very beginning was chuckle-worthy. While SpongeBob's implication in the 2nd half is unexcusable and cruelty, A Pal for Gary explain everything uniquely.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Shouldn't this be in the episode discussion?

But yeah I agree with some of this, the first half honestly wasn't that bad, and I liked the visuals, the scenes with Gary and monster Puffy Fluffy fighting and stuff (espicially the part where Gary used the western stuff to win), and the plot was actually structured good. And many of the flaws you see in bad episodes weren't here. It could have honestly been a good episode if Spongebob was good here, but he was so bad here that it's a terrible episode. But it at least has enough good to be better than episodes like Squid Baby, One Coarse Meal, Pet or Pests, and Yours Mine and Mine.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
For my brief two cents, I think people pretty much judge this episode from the infamous second half. To be fair, the only thing that needed to be changed was SpongeBob actually realizing Puffy Fluffy was a monster and thanking Gary for saving him rather than scolding Gary for the umpteenth time. Or maybe Gary could chase Puffy out the house BEFORE SpongeBob wakes up. That would probably prevent the viewers' breaking point from happening ("Well Gary. What do you have to say for yourself?"). But I do agree that PF was a good antagonist and the action was good. People seem to forget he was supposed to be evil. The only problem is SpongeBob's obliviousness and light humor. But I don't consider this episode SB's worst role in an episode. Boating Buddies, Squid's Visit, and Choir Boys are his absolute worst in my opinion. So, all in all, this is still a very bad episode, but not as bad as others say it is.

Whoa, this isn't brief at all, isn't it? Whoops!

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: A Pal for Gary (S7-E131-B)

For the first time I watch A Pal for Gary when I was a kid during my autism, I feel neutral to this episode. This one is meh to me in my opinion. Since I saw a lot of SpongeBob fans, cast and crew hate this ::dolphin noise::ty episode, I understand their opinions as well. I really believe that some of the SpongeBob fans quit the show because of this episode, while some of them quit because of One Coarse Meal.

When I see the beginning of this episode, it was OK. When SpongeBob give Gary a pal called Puffy Fluffy, even SpongeBob stole it and ignored the gypsy's warning, Gary was scared because of the monstrous look of PF. When I see the horror where Gary saw the monster form of PF, I wasn't scared. After the fiery horror till morning, SpongeBob woke up and saw the damages in his pineapple. I saw SpongeBob blaming Gary instead of saving him, even Gary is in real danger. I feel bad but neutral before (now I'm mad at SB's stupidity in this episode). I was happy because Gary uses the lasso, Wonder Woman-style, to save SB from PF, but unfortunately, I was disappointed again because SB still blames Gary for PF. :facepalm: The ending was pretty bad for Gary, even for me. Yeah. I promised myself and God not to profane the writers of this episode again. Not even in my Top 30 Worst SB Episodes countdown.

In conclusion, this episode is pretty bad for me to watch. Most of the SB fans like me hate A Pal for Gary, especially some of the cast and crew (except Zeus Cervas since he loves this episode) of SB. But I do respect your opinion.

My reaction = :patboo:

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
SpongeBuddyPH said:
Episode: A Pal for Gary (S7-E131-B)

For the first time I watch A Pal for Gary when I was a kid during my autism, I feel neutral to this episode. This one is meh to me in my opinion. Since I saw a lot of SpongeBob fans, cast and crew hate this ::dolphin noise::ty episode, I understand their opinions as well. I really believe that some of the SpongeBob fans quit the show because of this episode, while some of them quit because of One Coarse Meal.

When I see the beginning of this episode, it was OK. When SpongeBob give Gary a pal called Puffy Fluffy, even SpongeBob stole it and ignored the gypsy's warning, Gary was scared because of the monstrous look of PF. When I see the horror where Gary saw the monster form of PF, I wasn't scared. After the fiery horror till morning, SpongeBob woke up and saw the damages in his pineapple. I saw SpongeBob blaming Gary instead of saving him, even Gary is in real danger. I feel bad but neutral before (now I'm mad at SB's stupidity in this episode). I was happy because Gary uses the lasso, Wonder Woman-style, to save SB from PF, but unfortunately, I was disappointed again because SB still blames Gary for PF. :facepalm: The ending was pretty bad for Gary, even for me. Yeah. I promised myself and God not to profane the writers of this episode again. Not even in my Top 30 Worst SB Episodes countdown.

In conclusion, this episode is pretty bad for me to watch. Most of the SB fans like me hate A Pal for Gary, especially some of the cast and crew (except Zeus Cervas since he loves this episode) of SB. But I do respect your opinion.

My reaction = :patboo:
How do you know that the crew hates it? I don't recall ever hearing a crew member say they hate an episode.

Back