Completed Why does Club SpongeBob get so much hate by YouTube reviewers?

Fear Of A Nerdy Patty

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Something that surprised me going through reviews on YouTube is how many don't seem to like Club SpongeBob, some even detesting it. But why? This episode is fantastic.

Some cite the Squidward abuse, but that was always a part of the show to some extent. The thing is that here it's accompanied by a ton of clever humor, and SpongeBob and Patrick are just really into their game. They don't understand how frustrating this experience is for Squidward, as obvious as it is to the audience. Personally I consider this one of the best from season 3, and kinda wish reviewers would go beyond the argument that Squidward gets treated badly so they can see just how great the comedy is in it. Just because a character goes through hell doesn't make an episode automatically bad. It's all about the reasons behind it and the execution.

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
I don't pay attention to any YouTube reviewers, but I'd have to agree: Club SpongeBob is a great episode! I'd go as far as to say it's in my top 10 all-time faves. It's eminently quotable and one of the great early episodes which clearly focuses on contrasting how Spongebob/Patrick and Squidward approach life.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
People hate Club SpongeBob? Literally what? I love that episode for much of the same reasons those above me have said. It's funny and it's just classic SpongeBob. Also, the Magic Conch is iconic. The "falling right out of the sky joke" always makes me laugh (I mean so does pretty much every joke in this episode, but for some reason that one always gets me going).

MPack

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I honestly don't mind Club SpongeBob. It ain't a Squidward torture episode because the first true one is Good Neighbors. Club SpongeBob has a lot of funny moments, and I laughed at a few jokes, especially the bald and big nose jokes.

Fear Of A Nerdy Patty

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I know it has Squidward abuse, but this one of those times where it benefits the story. If the episode went easy on Squidward it wouldn't be as funny. You feel bad for his misfortune, but laugh at the increasing absurdity of the situation. Plus SpongeBob and Patrick act pretty innocuous, just like in Jellyfishing and Idiot Box they are simply very into their game.

Squidward1999

Balloon Traveler
122 Conch Street, Bikini Bottom (or the USA)
I see nothing wrong with the episode, my guess as to why it gets its criticism might be because of how it treats Squidward and how the episode ends, but even then I hadn't had a problem with it as Squidward was being a Smartalec and the ending does follow "The Strange Season 3 Endings" path like how most of the season does which fits in pretty well with the episode.

Whisper

let me show you how its done
Staff
I don't love this episode, but I agree that it's good and very quotable. However, this was one of the only episodes I remember not liking as a kid due to the way it treated Squidward, even though I hated Squidward back then...pretty weird. But I enjoy the episode more now that it no longer frustrates me.

Back