• Your voice matters! Your vote matters! Americans, remember to vote on (or before) this Tuesday, November 3. Visit Vote.org to learn how. Remind your friends!

Completed Why does Club SpongeBob get so much hate by YouTube reviewers?

Fear Of A Nerdy Patty

Imitation Krab
Something that surprised me going through reviews on YouTube is how many don't seem to like Club SpongeBob, some even detesting it. But why? This episode is fantastic.

Some cite the Squidward abuse, but that was always a part of the show to some extent. The thing is that here it's accompanied by a ton of clever humor, and SpongeBob and Patrick are just really into their game. They don't understand how frustrating this experience is for Squidward, as obvious as it is to the audience. Personally I consider this one of the best from season 3, and kinda wish reviewers would go beyond the argument that Squidward gets treated badly so they can see just how great the comedy is in it. Just because a character goes through hell doesn't make an episode automatically bad. It's all about the reasons behind it and the execution.

spongie33

SpongeBob Expert
Honestly Club SpongeBob is a good episode. There's some good funny stuff in it.

spongedude

The Librarian
Staff
I don't pay attention to any YouTube reviewers, but I'd have to agree: Club SpongeBob is a great episode! I'd go as far as to say it's in my top 10 all-time faves. It's eminently quotable and one of the great early episodes which clearly focuses on contrasting how Spongebob/Patrick and Squidward approach life.

MY CHOCOLATE LEG!

Gary the Snail Supremacist
People hate Club SpongeBob? Literally what? I love that episode for much of the same reasons those above me have said. It's funny and it's just classic SpongeBob. Also, the Magic Conch is iconic. The "falling right out of the sky joke" always makes me laugh (I mean so does pretty much every joke in this episode, but for some reason that one always gets me going).