Why Do You Like Squidward?

Growlie

Best Boy
The reason I like Squidward is mostly due to the fact that I felt sorry for him when watching MoBrosStudios countdown.

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
His personality, his sense of humor, his awesomeness...
squidward-is-so-awesome-o.gif

... Yeah... :P

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
He may be a lazy jerk a lot of the time but he has made a lot funny, sarcastic remarks and occasionally does seem to care about others besides himself. A lot of people can probably empathize with him at all the suffering he goes through, his failures, and his desire to be successful and well liked. He's far from being perfect but I think that's one aspect about him that a lot of people can identify with. Maybe not recently but it has been pretty evident in earlier episodes.

Squidward's also a great contrast against much sillier characters like SpongeBob and Patrick.

Cha

I love SBM
Just about every single person can relate with Squidward. He's egoistical, an under appreciated artist and is grumpy. Those traits are much easier to relate to than SpongeBob who's almost unrealistically happy at times. He's really the only one besides Mrs. Puff who deals with the annoying side of our main character daily. Squidward puts up with a lot at times, so we can feel his pain. Though sometimes he randomly blurts out in unjustified rage, we usually side with him. And sometimes Squidward has a really sweet side where he does care about others, including his annoying neighbor. Christmas Who is the best example.

HarryPotterLives

Jaehee is Baehee
I could write a freaking novel on why I love Squidward. Because I'm feeling lazy, I'll just copy and paste what I said about him on the Favorite Character topic:

He's hilarious (I love his sarcasm), he's a sassy ::dolphin noise:: who won't take crap from anyone, he's fabulous, he's passionate, he loves art and music like I do, and I like that (in pre-movie, at least) he does have a soft spot for SpongeBob. Something like that could easily come off as forced, but it never does with Squidward, it always feels natural. He has more depth than any character on the show besides perhaps SpongeBob himself, but I think I'd still argue that Squidward has more. I like that though he appears to be your typical curmudgeon, he has a heart, as well as a more vulnerable and self-aware side, which is usually brought out by Squilliam. That's another thing, the fact that Squidward has a rival adds even more layers to his character. I also think he's the most versatile character on the show, the writers can do a lot with him without forcing him to step out of character, as they sometimes have to with other characters on the show. Basically, I think Squidward is the funniest and most complex character, and he's the one I personally relate to the most. Post-movie, unfortunately, has removed much of the charm and depth he had in pre-movie, but I still love this cephalopod to death. I'm pretty sure he's what started my slight obsession for sarcastic curmudgeons with hearts of gold.

There you go. That's why I like Squidward. Though that only covers the bare minimum of my incredibly dorky admiration for Squidward.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Because it's funny and endearing watching him get dragged repeatedly into SpongeBob's antics. He acts so high and mighty and thinks he has better things to do with his time, like painting, playing the clarinet and listening to public radio, but deep down he harbours this secret curiosity and even affection towards SpongeBob, though his surliness and sarcasm hides it well, even from himself. My favourite Squidward plots are usually the ones where his curiosity gets the better of him and he unwittingly gets involved with some dumb game and ends up enjoying it, or when he feels bad for SpongeBob and becomes protective rather than antagonistic. It wouldn't be fun if he was like that all the time, and the fact that it only happens occasionally makes those times more special and memorable.

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
SB_DW_Fan said:
I love Squidward because of his personality and his sarcastic jokes. Even though he is a jerk sometimes, he has a heart and he always loved his neighbor SpongeBob, even though he is annoying. I wish Squidward still loved SpongeBob in post-movie era.
I can sort of see why Squidward's gotten more apathetic towards him with all the increased amount of suffering he goes through in the post movie era for whatever reason. Harder to like a guy when he goes around annoying you with slide whistles or drives you mad with incessant laughing.

Squidina

Tintenfisch
I love Squidward because, well, I could go through the whole list naming off all his typical traits, but that's not very insightful. But it may be what I'm going to do... lesse here...

I like him because, well, he does share my artistic interest, and seems to be quite a thoughtful person - er, I mean, complex. He's the one who'll see through most ploys - whether or not he cares to mention it, is another thing, and I like that about him too. I also like how, that for younger audiences, he comes off as the jerk who's just ruining the fun; then for adults, he makes a lot of sense: SpongeBob and Patrick are annoying. I also like how, despite him being constantly annoyed and loathing everything, he'll turn around and show that he DOES have a heart, and does, somehow, at least watch out for the others. Like he did for SpongeBob in the Pizza episode at the end; or Christmas Who; or even in the movie, when he did realise something was going on and confronted Plankton with it.

Also, he has this tendency to look so gosh-darned adorable when he's shocked - like sudden hugs, or whatever. I like how, when it behooves him to do so, he does come up with a witty comback... For example, during the episode with the Kelp Juice or whatever it was, when Krabs told all the customers that they were no longer allowed to bring drinks from outside in, everyone left and Squid said "That's telling them" after they left. Or how he just remains calm when something insane happens - like in the Viking episode, where they crashed into the KK and Squid's all like, without looking up "May I help you?" or whatever he said.

Also, in Squidville, where he eventually decided that his 'ideal' life was actually pretty darn boring - who wants a world full of just yourself? - And that SB and Patrick's childishness was actually kinda refreshing.
Or in "Love that Squid", where he was so smitten with Squilvia, that he couldn't even speak to her, and had to have SB do it (not really cause he asked, but cause SB insisted, if I remember rightly - I've only seen that episode once) - that was adorable.

Squidward is a complex character. He's inteligent, yet doesn't seem to be able to really make it. Oftentimes, it seems like though he yearns for a 'better life' or more success or whatever, seems like whenever he DOES get the chance, he holds himself back. Seems like he wants to make it in Bikini Bottom, instead of actually moving on. Er, just my own observations... or opinions.

It all just makes him a fascinating character.

While SpongeBob speaks to everyone who has a child at heart - and he's totally fun and, I think, equally complex, he's a... the inner child.

Patrick is hilarious - and something I'm still trying to untangle. He can be mean, he can then be a great friend, he can be dumb, he can be smart... He can do really great deadpans.

Only mentioning them, because I'm trying to make this a thought out reply, instead of just saying "Because I love Squid, and he's best-pony", or whatever! J/K

First, I'm not a kid, in fact I'm in my 30's. I was around when SpongeBob first aired on Nick - and I even gave it a chance... well, watched two episodes - not in order, and don't ask me which, because I don't remember - and I wrote it off and wanted nothing more to do with it. Fast forward to last year, and I started watching it here while babysitting - 'cause that's the show the kids wanted to watch - and after a couple episodes... or more than a couple, I finally gave in. All 'cause of Squidward. I didn't remember seeing him in the episodes I'd watched years ago, but, when he came on and dropped his deadpan, I laughed. And after watching more episodes, I had to give in that the show wasn't that bad, if only for Squidward. Then I really got into it, started watching it as regularly as I could, and started to like all the nuances of all the characters, and finding the plots actually quite fun.

Now, I'll admit, when I watch an episode here, it's dubbed - which means the episode titles are changed (no, not translated, but changed), so I have no clue which episodes are pre or post movie - unless I happen to recognise it from the English episodes, and I do get them random here. (Not sure which season they're playing right now - the last ones I caught over the last two weeks were one about SB wanting a trading card of Mermaid Man and Pat having all five; then the episode where Krabs scares the crap out of Plankton by dressing up as Pearl; and the very last one I caught was when Plankton and Sandy combined their inventions, turning SB the guinea pig, into a puff of smoke and scaring the daylights out of Squidward.)

Uh, yeah, I think I've said enough on the topic. PS I love Squidward :-D

And let this be the last time I have to answer this one, hehe.

Back