Why Do People Hate The Post-Movie Seasons So Much?

Chaserx

Imitation Krab
The episodes are not outstandingly horrible (excluding A Pal For Gary) so why is there so much blind hatred? if you do hate those seasons, share why you think it went downhill, and when.

Yoh Manta

Moby Dollar
Though I don't believe there's ever been a truly, unsalvageably bad episode of the show, I do understand the dislike of post-movie episodes to a certain degree. The worst parts of the characters are exaggerated much more often in the later episodes to a point that is near impossible to believe and much more often does the comedy not flow well with more scenes of boring padding that just feel there to fill time.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
I feel post-movie is where SpongeBob got more babyish and began to lose its adult appeal

The last good quality and unique episode of this show was Season 9B's Pull up a Barrel because it felt so different for SpongeBob SquarePants

Then it all went downhill after that!

Last edited:

coft

happy hopping moron
The show went downhill mid-season 5 for me. Episodes like To Save A Squirrel, SpongeHenge, Stanley S. SquarePants, Pest Of The West & Le Big Switch are dull episodes with little enjoyment to them.

Season 6-8 just suck. 8 is better than 6 & 7 but generally they all suck with episodes like Not Normal, No Hat For Pat, Earworm & Chum Fricassee showing that the show could at least put out 1 great episodes for the other 15 or so I hate.

I love season 9. Not just 9b, 9a too. Episodes like Plankton’s Pet, Eek, An Urchin!, And Bulletin Board fit well within seasons 1-4

Season 10 & 11 are fine. Worse than 9. Better than 5. I used to dislike season 11 but after watching it again, it’s on the same ground with 10.

Season 12 is mediocre. It’s better than 6-8 but not by much. I’d say it’s because of Hillenburg’s death that season 12 kinda sucks but these episodes were produced before his death, so I say writers doing the same spiel for 3 seasons could wear them. Remember, by the end of Season 3, the team were producing some very middle of the road episodes. And that was with Hillenburg on.

So here’s how the seasons stack up for me

12. Season 7
11. Season 6
10. Season 8
9. Season 12
8. Season 5
7. Season 11
6. Season 10
5. Season 9
4. Season 1
3. Season 4
2. Season 2
1. Season 3

I feel like people generally "hate" the post-movie seasons because missing a lot of elements of what made the first 3 seasons so great. A lot of the post-movie episodes usually have little to no comedy in them, and the characters are flanderized. That's just my opinion though.

Sealand

Imitation Krab
90% Nostalgia

6% Oversensitivity

3% Stopped watching

1% Always hated the show

Actually, Season 4 and 5 is still classic on my list.

SploderEnigma

Floating Shopping List
I like Seasons 4 and 5, which is the general opinion in this community. Post-sequel is fine; it's usually never bad per se and I appreciate the references, though often times it lacks jokes and prefers exaggerated faces, as some have said.

EntertainmentFanatic

Part Computer or Something
I think it's because of what the characters became. They got progressively more annoying and unfunny. They lost their charm in my eyes. One example is I think Squidward went from a relatable grump at times but still good inside and someone that can have fun and be nice to just a complete grump 24/7 who quite frankly was an asshole even if justified. It made him hard to like. SpongeBob and Patrick got annoying, they did things that didn't seem natural to their characters, when you compare them to the first three seasons. Not to mention I think the comedy just went downhill, we lost some great people like CH Greenblatt who storyboarded/wrote some of the funniest episodes. Though rewatching the seasons I do believe they hold some value but just not as great as their predecessors. I think they just lost a lot of the people who knew the true identity of the show and really knew who the characters were.

Edit: Just to clarify, C.H Greenblatt left the show, he did not die. Sorry if I made it sound like that.

Last edited:

warblower99

Chop those gravy bars
I dislike them because that's when the characters were at the peak of being out of character. From what I heard, good ol' Nickelodeon was ordering so many episodes that episodes were rushed beyond belief, so they weren't well thought out and stuff, causing the episodes to also be sloppily written, which itself caused the scripts most likely to be not proof read that well, thus causing the episodes to mostly range from atrocious to mediocre, maybe okay at best.

SG-17

Imitation Krab
1. Flanderization

2. Loss of animation diversity and quirks with the switch to completely digital production.

3. Focus on gross-out humor.

4. Simplification of plots and dialog writing.

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
I think that season 4 is great. S5 is very good.
S6 is meh and S7 is pretty bad. I do not really hate them. There are just some bad episodes. S8 is good for me.

SpongeBox

Floating Shopping List
I used to question the same thing, especially back when Season 4 was just coming out. The backlash over Season 4 back then was insane, and I didn't understand it. That said, Season 4 became much more respected later on, with some people even ranking it with the first three seasons.

To me, Season 6-8 was the dark age. I think that's the general consensus today among the fanbase too, though some people may also count Season 5 as part of that, which I don't. Those seasons had too many infamously bad episodes and Patrick and Mr. Krabs were particularly unlikable during this time.

Last edited:
Back