Why Did SpongeBob's Voice Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sane Psycho

Imitation Krab
No, I'm not going to do a rant about how SpongeBob's post-movie voice is terrible and blah blah blah because it's overdone as hell. No, I'm simply curious.

If you've noticed, ever since the movie, SpongeBob's voice is a lot higher pitched. Is there any specific reason for this? Did they think it would be better? Did they want to make SpongeBob "cuter?" Or maybe Tom Kenny can't do the old voice anymore.

I know it's a random question, but it's something I'm legitimately curious about.

Sweat

Banished
Maybe they wanted Tom Kenny to do a more childish approach to SB's voice

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
It isn't as annoying as everyone says it is. It's probably because he just couldn't do the voice anymore. I mean, Tom Kenny has voiced many other characters, and several of them had high-pitched voices. That might explain why he sounds like those other characters he's voiced rather than how SpongeBob used to sound.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Tom Kenny explains the evolution of SpongeBob's voice in Cartoonician's oral history of the show (link):

Many characters’ voices develop and mutate over time, like Homer Simpson, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck or Popeye or whomever. Very few characters wind up with the voice they start out with, unless it’s an actor doing his own voice. If it’s a voice actor doing a character’s voice, I would say that 99 percent of the time, if you’re lucky enough to have your character last for a couple years, the voice changes. I would venture to guess that a lot of it is unconscious. You kind of find the sweet spot of the personality. Part of it, I think, is that the nature of the scripts and the stories you’re doing have a tendency to change a little bit, too, just like the Simpsons is a different show than it was 20 years ago. I was just watching season 1, and even the feel of the show and the stories is markedly different. Daffy and Bugs were much less nuanced characters in the beginning than they ended up.

I hear the change. I hear it. It’s mostly a question of pitch. I’ve read that the reason is because a new guy is doing the voice, because Tom Kenny has throat cancer, you know how the Web is. SpongeBob went from sort of a low-key character, reacting to things around him to being this super-exuberant character with all of his emotions on 11, and everything’s wild and over the top, and his personality got a little more extreme, and I guess I unconsciously mirrored that. It’s ironic, because the voice I’m doing now is harder on me, so I actually made my job a little more difficult.

It’s unconscious on my part. I don’t wake up and think, “Hmm, I’m going to change SpongeBob’s voice today, just for the hell of it.” It’s like erosion: a very slow process. As time goes on, you need to bring him to different places and more places, the more stories and scripts you do. The character’s psyche gets more defined, too, and you wind up going to many more different places within the character’s realm of experience. It’s such a gradual change that, not only do I not register it consciously, but nobody else on the show registers it, either. Nobody at Nickelodeon is going, “Hey, his voice is getting higher.” Steve Hillenburg isn’t saying, “Hey, his voice is changing pitch a little.” When you contrast season 1 shows with season 7 shows, there’s a bit of a change, but I don’t think it’s that extreme at all.

kev

innit
homestuck said:
Reversed puberty.
Reverse reverse puberty.

Lil-Gideon-character-makes-fun-of-Southerners.jpg

kev

innit
SB_DW_Fan said:
I don't get it.
"Now" SpongeBob is taller and rectangular and has a high voice while "Past" SpongeBob is more small, square, and a hybrid of high and low pitch with a little more low voice then high. And so, The older SpongeBob gets, the more taller he is and more high pitched voice. Lawyered. *waits for someone to reply with "reverse reverse reverse puberty"*

kevin_ng2010 said:
"Now" SpongeBob is taller and rectangular and has a high voice while "Past" SpongeBob is more small, square, and a hybrid of high and low pitch with a little more low voice then high. And so, The older SpongeBob gets, the more taller he is and more high pitched voice. Lawyered. *waits for someone to reply with "reverse reverse reverse puberty"*
Okay but how this have to do with Gideon_ It's because he is a lot taller than Mabel and Dipper and his voice is high pitched?

kev

innit
SB_DW_Fan said:
Okay but how this have to do with Gideon_ It's because he is a lot taller than Mabel and Dipper and his voice is high pitched?
It's sort of like a "HA" face. :P It has nothing to do with Gideon.

Cha

I love SBM
DADMOM I LOVE YOU FOR FINALLY SOLVING THE MYSTERY. <3 I was going to say it was just an unconscious matter but how Tom says it totally makes sense.

Tom said what I personally thought was obvious
you can't possibly think he can pull off the same voice for 6 years lol

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Please do not bump topics that are so old. It is against the forum rules. If you like to contribute something to this subject, please make a new topic about it. :) Thanks.

Topic Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back