Why are people constantly talking trash about Spongebob?

GordokTheMad

Stealing food is WRONG!
Almost everywhere I go, when it comes to a topic involving New Spongebob, I always see comments that constantly bash Spongebob himself. I’m talking about comments that constantly say negative things about Spongebob. I’m not referring to when people have called him a crybaby, or an annoying pest, or even the Cubic Creeper. I’m referring to people who basically talk horribly about Spongebob, calling him Satan, or saying that he has no good nature and he’s a horrible person, or that he needs to die or be tortured or something like that. I respect opinions, but people talking horribly about Spongebob himself is just getting very irritating and even a little heart-breaking. I saw MrEnter’s rant on One Coarse Meal (which was somewhat decent, by the way) and I was starting to get a little upset when he started talking about Spongebob’s good nature. (Skip to 6:04 to see what I’m talking about.)

(WARNING: LANGUAGE BELOW AS WELL AS DISTURBING CONTENT)

Okay, let me start off by saying that Spongebob ripping off Squidward’s toenail was an ACCIDENT! And for Cephalopod Lodge, he was only curious to see what Squiddy was doing since he was so eerily happy. In Choir Boys, he REFUSED to join the choir unless Squidward had a part in it. He wanted Squidward to take part in it. And Squidward didn’t really have to do it, either. Also, on his list of other episodes where his “bad nature” is displayed, half of those episodes he picked are either episodes where Spongebob wasn’t at fault, episodes where he at least had some good intention and spirit behind them, or episodes where power and money had consumed him temporarily (referring to the Abrasive Side, Good Neighbors, Squid Wood, Summer Job, Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful, Porous Pockets, Karate Island, and Boating (he’s not the one who got Squidward beat up!)). But what REALLY upsets me is the fact that he actually says that Spongebob has NO good nature, and that he got what he deserved in Gone (which is one of his favorite episodes, by the way). He even went far to say that the only good thing in The Splinter is the fact that the horrible gruesome pain was happening to Spongebob himself.

What makes his rant so horribly mean-spirited (and false) is that he doesn’t even mention ANY episode where Spongebob actually displays good nature. What about FUN, Christmas Who, Band Geeks, I’m With Stupid, Single Cell Anniversary, Plankton’s Pet, Safe Deposit Krabs, Can You Spare a Dime, Born Again Krabs, Rock-A-Bye Bivalve, Have You Seen This Snail, Ripped Pants, Texas, Valentine’s Day, Bossy Boots, Big Pink Loser, Grandma’s Kisses, Squidville, Jellyfish Hunter, Krusty Love, My Pretty Seahorse, The Sponge Who Could Fly, Squilliam Returns, Clams, Shell of A Man, Good Neighbors (he at least TRIED to be a good neighbor), Skill Crane, Chimps Ahoy, Ghost Host, MM&BB 6 The Motion Picture, Whale of A Birthday, That’s No Lady, Wishing You Well, The Thing, Bucket Sweet Bucket, The Two Faces of Squidward, Stanley S. Squarepants, Spongicus, The Krabby Kronicle, Overbooked, Greasy Buffoons, Love That Squid, Enchanted Tiki Dreams, Spongebob’s Last Stand, KBBB, Gary In Love, The Curse of The Hex, Sponge-cano!, Karate Star, Shellback Shenanigans, It’s A Spongebob Christmas, Are You Happy Now, Squid Baby, and Squid Defense.

Here, I just listed just about EVERY episode I could find where Spongebob showed even the slightest hint of decency. The only episodes I can think of where Spongebob was OOC (where he showed no kindness or decency whatsoever) are A Pal For Gary, Party Pooper Pants and Boating Buddies (though, he wasn’t really mean, more like stalkerish). After listing ALL of these episodes, I dare you to tell me that Spongebob has no good nature. Spongebob is a sweet, kind-hearted Sponge who, even in the new Spongebob, has the good spirit of an angel! So, why are people constantly talking trash about him like this?

Old Man Jenkins☣

A Real Bon Vivant
q82TdzV.jpg

NastyPatty2002

Dead Inspector
Listening to classic rock music on an iPod Classic does not make you a hipster.

Or at least that's what I've been told from my school.

HarryPotterLives

Jaehee is Baehee
It depresses me to see/hear people trashing SpongeBob. There are episodes where he's annoying, yes, but he's horribly OOC in those episodes. Honestly, I think SpongeBob is one of the sweetest, most innocent characters to ever exist. He would never dream of purposely being mean to or harming anyone; he always puts others ahead of himself; he'd do anything for the people he considers his friends (which is basically everyone); he loves everyone unconditionally and always see the best in them regardless of whether they deserve it (Squidward, Mr. Krabs and Plankton come to mind). "SpongeBob has no good nature" my ::dolphin noise::. If anything his nature is too good for his own, well, good.

Gone is one of my least favorite episodes because of how mean-spirited it is toward SpongeBob. Just thinking about the episode makes me feel sick to my stomach, I'm not kidding. The idea of everyone in Bikini Bottom ditching SpongeBob for weeks, letting him think that something horrible had happened to them, while they celebrate a day without him is horrible. And the celebrations include burning a statue of him and dancing in the ashes. No. Just no. SpongeBob's reaction to finding out where everyone was broke my heart, I felt so terrible for my poor little yellow dude! And none of the other characters even cared about how SpongeBob felt! I couldn't believe how awful they were being to him! I realize SpongeBob can be over-zealous to the point of annoyance for some characters, but that is just cruel. There's no way SpongeBob deserves that after all of the wonderful, selfless things he's done for the people of Bikini Bottom. This episode is just noxious. It upsets me that people like the episode because they think SpongeBob deserved it. He doesn't. He really doesn't. I try to respect people's opinions and I can usually understand both sides of an argument, but Gone is one of those cases where I just can't understand the other side. I'm sorry, I just can't.

I feel like I've talked about Gone more than I've talked about any other episode on this site. Somehow that episode always comes back to haunt me and I just have to rant about it.

Point is, SpongeBob does not deserve the constant trashing he seems to get.

TropicalNards112233

Krabby Patty Burglar
It depresses me to see/hear people trashing SpongeBob. There are episodes where he's annoying, yes, but he's horribly OOC in those episodes. Honestly, I think SpongeBob is one of the sweetest, most innocent characters to ever exist. He would never dream of purposely being mean to or harming anyone; he always puts others ahead of himself; he'd do anything for the people he considers his friends (which is basically everyone); he loves everyone unconditionally and always see the best in them regardless of whether they deserve it (Squidward, Mr. Krabs and Plankton come to mind). "SpongeBob has no good nature" my ::dolphin noise::. If anything his nature is too good for his own, well, good.

Gone is one of my least favorite episodes because of how mean-spirited it is toward SpongeBob. Just thinking about the episode makes me feel sick to my stomach, I'm not kidding. The idea of everyone in Bikini Bottom ditching SpongeBob for weeks, letting him think that something horrible had happened to them, while they celebrate a day without him is horrible. And the celebrations include burning a statue of him and dancing in the ashes. No. Just no. SpongeBob's reaction to finding out where everyone was broke my heart, I felt so terrible for my poor little yellow dude! And none of the other characters even cared about how SpongeBob felt! I couldn't believe how awful they were being to him! I realize SpongeBob can be over-zealous to the point of annoyance for some characters, but that is just cruel. There's no way SpongeBob deserves that after all of the wonderful, selfless things he's done for the people of Bikini Bottom. This episode is just noxious. It upsets me that people like the episode because they think SpongeBob deserved it. He doesn't. He really doesn't. I try to respect people's opinions and I can usually understand both sides of an argument, but Gone is one of those cases where I just can't understand the other side. I'm sorry, I just can't.

I feel like I've talked about Gone more than I've talked about any other episode on this site. Somehow that episode always comes back to haunt me and I just have to rant about it.

I think Gone is a wonderful episode. Not just because of the cool horror-ish story it has, but because it almost seems like a parody of how much people in real life hate spongebob.

GordokTheMad

Stealing food is WRONG!
HarryPotterLives said:

I agree completely! You know, I'm starting to feel like I should've put Gone HIGHER than 6 on my worst list. On Deviantart, I'm actually planning to make a Second Edition of my least favorite episodes, and let me tell you, when I get to my bottom 5, things are gonna get really ugly!

And yes, Spongebob does have good-nature, and I actually can't believe some people who say he doesn't, considering all the wonderful things he's done in the show.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
That was extremely painful to look at. This guy, along with other SpongeBob haters out there, are way too infatuated when it comes to writing, typing, or stating opinions. Seriously, SpongeBob may have been an annoying sponge in certain episodes, he is kind-hearted, and good-natured like you said. When I look at these kinds of rant videos, it makes me sick. SpongeBob doesn't mean to annoy other characters, and still shows his sane side from time to time. And, I didn't like "Gone", either. Is he serious? SpongeBob deserved it? SpongeBob DID NOT deserve it! I want to punch a wall, now. To me, it is the cruelest, meanest action all of the other characters could have done. Speaking of which, I even saw "Demolition Doofus". That episode, as much as love season 8, was unacceptable. Mrs. Puff wanted to KILL SpongeBob! What ever happened to the time when SpongeBob overdid his speech in "Hall Monitor", but was depressed when he lost his privilege? Mrs. Puff was kind enough to let him wear it, even though she got arrested in the end. And, suddenly, she's driven to the point of KILLING SpongeBob? That's inexcusable!

And, I caught someone saying "Next time Mrs. Puff tries to kill SpongeBob, I want her to succeed. That's what he gets for annoying everyone."

You have no idea how broken-hearted I was when I read that cold-blooded comment. Why would he want SpongeBob to actually get killed?!

As despondent as other SpongeBob haters' opinions are, this one, and the comment I mentioned are downright unacceptable, and unbelievable. And, I must say, they should all be ashamed of themselves.

HarryPotterLives

Jaehee is Baehee
TropicalNards112233 said:
I think Gone is a wonderful episode. Not just because of the cool horror-ish story it has, but because it almost seems like a parody of how much people in real life hate spongebob.
If that was the intention, I'd actually find that pretty cool, but that's not how it comes off to me. It just seems needlessly cruel.

I'm all for horror-esque stories (that's what I like about Whelk Attack), but the ending of Gone kills it.

Amphitrite said:
That was extremely painful to look at. This guy, along with other SpongeBob haters out there, are way too infatuated when it comes to writing, typing, or stating opinions. Seriously, SpongeBob may have been an annoying sponge in certain episodes, he is kind-hearted, and good-natured like you said. When I look at these kinds of rant videos, it makes me sick. SpongeBob doesn't mean to annoy other characters, and still shows his sane side from time to time. And, I didn't like "Gone", either. Is he serious? SpongeBob deserved it? SpongeBob DID NOT deserve it! I want to punch a wall, now. To me, it is the cruelest, meanest action all of the other characters could have done. Speaking of which, I even saw "Demolition Doofus". That episode, as much as love season 8, was unacceptable. Mrs. Puff wanted to KILL SpongeBob! What ever happened to the time when SpongeBob overdid his speech in "Hall Monitor", but was depressed when he lost his privilege? Mrs. Puff was kind enough to let him wear it, even though she got arrested in the end. And, suddenly, she's driven to the point of KILLING SpongeBob? That's inexcusable!

And, I caught someone saying "Next time Mrs. Puff tries to kill SpongeBob, I want her to succeed. That's what he gets for annoying everyone."

You have no idea how broken-hearted I was when I read that cold-blooded comment. Why would he want SpongeBob to actually get killed?!

As despondent as other SpongeBob haters' opinions are, this one, and the comment I mentioned are downright unacceptable, and unbelievable. And, I must say, they should all be ashamed of themselves.
I agree completely. It's one thing to dislike SpongeBob as a character, as much as I love him I suppose I can see why he would grate on some people, but actually thinking he deserves to die or that he deserved the incredibly cruel treatment he got in Gone is unbelievable to me. I hate how people just conveniently forget all of the nice things SpongeBob has done and focus on the episodes where's he seriously OOC.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
HarryPotterLives said:
If that was the intention, I'd actually find that pretty cool, but that's not how it comes off to me. It just seems needlessly cruel.

I'm all for horror-esque stories (that's what I like about Whelk Attack), but the ending of Gone kills it.

I agree completely. It's one thing to dislike SpongeBob as a character, as much as I love him I suppose I can see why he would grate on some people, but actually thinking he deserves to die or that deserved the incredibly cruel treatment he got in Gone is unbelievable to me. I hate how people just conveniently forget all of the nice things SpongeBob has done and focus on the episodes where's he seriously OOC.
That's the problem. They're soooo busy thinking about "Oooh... SpongeBob did this to Squidward, SpongeBob slapped Sandy, he annoys everyone, etc., etc., who cares", that they forget the generous deeds he's done. -_-

HarryPotterLives

Jaehee is Baehee
Amphitrite said:
That's the problem. They're soooo busy thinking about "Oooh... SpongeBob did this to Squidward, SpongeBob slapped Sandy, he annoys everyone, etc., etc., who cares", that they forget the generous deeds he's done. -_-
Exactly. People are too cynical these days. They should follow in SpongeBob's footsteps and look for the positives more often. SpongeBob's good deeds outnumber his bad ones by far if you ask me. Even his "bad deeds" always had good intentions behind them, they just didn't pan out.

Sweat

Banished
Here's my two cents:

Whether you like SpongeBob or not, you need to be able to give well thought out and well-proven opinions. You can't just say that you hate the new SpongeBob because you saw like 5 episode that were mostly just not to good. I'm pretty sure the guy in the video Gordok posted has only seen at the very most 5% of all post-movie SpongeBob. This is why I actually appreciate Pieguyrulez doing a full analysis of each season. He basically ADMITTED that he hasn't watched THAT much post-movie SpongeBob and that he will watch every episode to strengthen in opinion. That's respect. What ISN'T respectful is when someone takes something like SpongeBob that they're prejudiced about and then only watch the episodes considered 'bad.'

Not only is this prejudicial, but genuinely ignorant. You can't just have your few post-movie episode that you've seen be stuff like One Coarse Meal and House Fancy to make an opinion, because it's not enough to only have a few episode to go off of, especially if most of the episodes he mentioned are negatively criticized. That's the problem with critics "haters" these days. They're gonna take the worst out of a topic and only rip on that because they want to seem cool for hating the show. Guess what, you're not cool. I've seen an episode of South Park where the people of the president fitness test nationally find that Eric Cartman made South Park Elementary one of the bottom schools because of an average, and the presidential fitness committee makes the conclusion that everybody in South Park Elementary are fat slobs. That's pretty much what the haters are doing to SpongeBob. They'll say it's bad by only using bad examples and not even looking at the bright side.

Sweat

Banished
Doowopasaurus said:
Some people go to very extreme methods to let people know their opinions :nono:
The thing is, extreme methods don't exist. Nobody's really taking an extreme method. It's the supporting of the opinion that can be extreme. The guy in the video has no real support for his opinion. He just pointed out any bad episode that he knows. Extreme methods really don't matter. If there are such thing as extreme methods, then Jibbix would be banned by now. :)

To the admins: Don't suspend me. I'm just explaining something to Mouseandowl.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Halibut said:
Here's my two cents:

Whether you like SpongeBob or not, you need to be able to give well thought out and well-proven opinions. You can't just say that you hate the new SpongeBob because you saw like 5 episode that were mostly just not to good. I'm pretty sure the guy in the video Gordok posted has only seen at the very most 5% of all post-movie SpongeBob.
This is another flaw I have with the "new" SpongeBob haters. They just assume that one untolerable episode means the other newer episodes are bad, now.

GordokTheMad

Stealing food is WRONG!
Halibut said:
Here's my two cents:

Whether you like SpongeBob or not, you need to be able to give well thought out and well-proven opinions. You can't just say that you hate the new SpongeBob because you saw like 5 episode that were mostly just not to good. I'm pretty sure the guy in the video Gordok posted has only seen at the very most 5% of all post-movie SpongeBob. This is why I actually appreciate Pieguyrulez doing a full analysis of each season. He basically ADMITTED that he hasn't watched THAT much post-movie SpongeBob and that he will watch every episode to strengthen in opinion. That's respect. What ISN'T respectful is when someone takes something like SpongeBob that they're prejudiced about and then only watch the episodes considered 'bad.'

Not only is this prejudicial, but genuinely ignorant. You can't just have your few post-movie episode that you've seen be stuff like One Coarse Meal and House Fancy to make an opinion, because it's not enough to only have a few episode to go off of, especially if most of the episodes he mentioned are negatively criticized. That's the problem with critics "haters" these days. They're gonna take the worst out of a topic and only rip on that because they want to seem cool for hating the show. Guess what, you're not cool. I've seen an episode of South Park where the people of the president fitness test nationally find that Eric Cartman made South Park Elementary one of the bottom schools because of an average, and the presidential fitness committee makes the conclusion that everybody in South Park Elementary are fat slobs. That's pretty much what the haters are doing to SpongeBob. They'll say it's bad by only using bad examples and not even looking at the bright side.
I agree with this. I really feel that people should at least TRY to keep a positive eye and even talk about the good stuff, rather than say everything that's negative about it. Heck, I used to hate episodes like Squid Wood, Cephalopod Lodge, and even The Splinter. But that's because I only remembered the bad parts of these episodes. I watched some of my least favorite episodes again with a POSITIVE eye, and while some of my opinions on certain episodes are either indifferent or worse than I thought (I'm With Stupid and Choir Boys come to mind), some other episodes have actually received positive feedback from me! (The Splinter, Squid Wood, Cephalopod Lodge, The Main Drain, heck, even Dear Vikings!) It's actually upsetting to see that people are so cynical and hateful nowadays. :(

TropicalNards112233

Krabby Patty Burglar
Amphitrite said:

Demolition Doofus is a bad episode. Not because of Mrs Puff, but because it's annoying and unfunny. The problem everyone has with it is that Mrs Puff wanted to kill SpongeBob. Well, frankly, she was justified. If we think of this episode as taking place after all the previous Boating Episodes, it makes perfect sense that she was pushed to the brink. I'd've wanted to kill spongebob too if he had been the cause of my many injuries and arrests. So is it a good episode? Absolutely not. But Mrs Puff did nothing wrong.

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
There are some post-movie haters that have tried to watch as many episodes as they could, and genuinely just don't like what they saw.
Those who only saw a handful and assume the rest must be bad really annoy me. It's like they only choose to watch the bad episodes just to see how "bad" they are.

Also, some people even insult the fans. Today, on another website, I got a comment saying, "SpongeBob?!? Seriously?!? What, are you 9?!?" -.-

HarryPotterLives

Jaehee is Baehee
SBRoxMan said:
There are some post-movie haters that have tried to watch as many episodes as they could, and genuinely just don't like what they saw.
Those who only saw a handful and assume the rest must be bad really annoy me. It's like they only choose to watch the bad episodes just to see how "bad" they are.

Also, some people even insult the fans. Today, on another website, I got a comment saying, "SpongeBob?!? Seriously?!? What, are you 9?!?" -.-
If people genuinely tried to give post-movie a fair chance and simply didn't like it, that's completely fine. I can actually understand where they're coming from since I used to be one of those people. What I don't like is when people blindly hate any episode that came out of post-movie just because it's post-movie, or people who only watch episodes that get negative feedback and then base their opinions solely on those episodes. It's really unfair and biased of them.

But we're starting to get off-topic now, and I don't want this to turn into a discussion about pre-movie vs post-movie because we've had way too many of those on this site. We're supposed to be talking about the negative feedback SpongeBob gets as a character.

GordokTheMad

Stealing food is WRONG!
Amphitrite said:
This is another flaw I have with the "new" SpongeBob haters. They just assume that one untolerable episode means the other newer episodes are bad, now.
Another thing I wanted to point out; while I was watching MrEnter's One Coarse Review (you see what I did there?) , he mentioned the fact that people seem to be defending Season 9, saying that it's at least better than the past couple of seasons. Here's what he said: "People say that the 9th season is getting better--SPOILERS-- it's not! (shows only the Squid Baby title card)".

Yeah, judging an entire season by just ONE bad episode, even though it's not finished, but has gone through 14 episodes by now (15 if you include the newest special "Spongebob You're Fired") is not good critisism. He also cited Little Yellow Book at one point, but that's just only 2 bad episodes out of 15 episodes that he cited. I mean, what about Safe Deposit Krabs, Plankton's Pet, Squid's Defense, Patrick-man, Jailbreak, and License to Milkshake, huh? I respect opinions, but if you're going to call a season with 15-40 episodes, then please at least cite MORE than 2 bad episodes. Because if you're gonna say that Season 9 is a horrible season all because of Squid Baby and Little Yellow Book, then I guess it's okay for me to call Season 2 a horrible season because of I'm With Stupid and Dumped!
sarcasm.gif

Back