Why are people constantly talking trash about Spongebob?

ScumBob

sicko m0de
GordokTheMad said:
Almost everywhere I go, when it comes to a topic involving New Spongebob, I always see comments that constantly bash Spongebob himself. I’m talking about comments that constantly say negative things about Spongebob. I’m not referring to when people have called him a crybaby, or an annoying pest, or even the Cubic Creeper. I’m referring to people who basically talk horribly about Spongebob, calling him Satan, or saying that he has no good nature and he’s a horrible person, or that he needs to die or be tortured or something like that. I respect opinions, but people talking horribly about Spongebob himself is just getting very irritating and even a little heart-breaking. I saw MrEnter’s rant on One Coarse Meal (which was somewhat decent, by the way) and I was starting to get a little upset when he started talking about Spongebob’s good nature. (Skip to 6:04 to see what I’m talking about.)

(WARNING: LANGUAGE BELOW AS WELL AS DISTURBING CONTENT)

Okay, let me start off by saying that Spongebob ripping off Squidward’s toenail was an ACCIDENT! And for Cephalopod Lodge, he was only curious to see what Squiddy was doing since he was so eerily happy. In Choir Boys, he REFUSED to join the choir unless Squidward had a part in it. He wanted Squidward to take part in it. And Squidward didn’t really have to do it, either. Also, on his list of other episodes where his “bad nature” is displayed, half of those episodes he picked are either episodes where Spongebob wasn’t at fault, episodes where he at least had some good intention and spirit behind them, or episodes where power and money had consumed him temporarily (referring to the Abrasive Side, Good Neighbors, Squid Wood, Summer Job, Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful, Porous Pockets, Karate Island, and Boating (he’s not the one who got Squidward beat up!)). But what REALLY upsets me is the fact that he actually says that Spongebob has NO good nature, and that he got what he deserved in Gone (which is one of his favorite episodes, by the way). He even went far to say that the only good thing in The Splinter is the fact that the horrible gruesome pain was happening to Spongebob himself.

What makes his rant so horribly mean-spirited (and false) is that he doesn’t even mention ANY episode where Spongebob actually displays good nature. What about FUN, Christmas Who, Band Geeks, I’m With Stupid, Single Cell Anniversary, Plankton’s Pet, Safe Deposit Krabs, Can You Spare a Dime, Born Again Krabs, Rock-A-Bye Bivalve, Have You Seen This Snail, Ripped Pants, Texas, Valentine’s Day, Bossy Boots, Big Pink Loser, Grandma’s Kisses, Squidville, Jellyfish Hunter, Krusty Love, My Pretty Seahorse, The Sponge Who Could Fly, Squilliam Returns, Clams, Shell of A Man, Good Neighbors (he at least TRIED to be a good neighbor), Skill Crane, Chimps Ahoy, Ghost Host, MM&BB 6 The Motion Picture, Whale of A Birthday, That’s No Lady, Wishing You Well, The Thing, Bucket Sweet Bucket, The Two Faces of Squidward, Stanley S. Squarepants, Spongicus, The Krabby Kronicle, Overbooked, Greasy Buffoons, Love That Squid, Enchanted Tiki Dreams, Spongebob’s Last Stand, KBBB, Gary In Love, The Curse of The Hex, Sponge-cano!, Karate Star, Shellback Shenanigans, It’s A Spongebob Christmas, Are You Happy Now, Squid Baby, and Squid Defense.

Here, I just listed just about EVERY episode I could find where Spongebob showed even the slightest hint of decency. The only episodes I can think of where Spongebob was OOC (where he showed no kindness or decency whatsoever) are A Pal For Gary, Party Pooper Pants and Boating Buddies (though, he wasn’t really mean, more like stalkerish). After listing ALL of these episodes, I dare you to tell me that Spongebob has no good nature. Spongebob is a sweet, kind-hearted Sponge who, even in the new Spongebob, has the good spirit of an angel! So, why are people constantly talking trash about him like this?
Please watch a Breath of Fresh Squidward.

SB_DW_Fan said:
Can you please stop bumping old topics? It's aganist the rules. Thank you.
Sorry. You know, you can just close it.

GordokTheMad

Stealing food is WRONG!
SpongeCob said:
Please watch a Breath of Fresh Squidward.
I have, actually. And to be fair, I can somewhat see what Mr Enter is saying when he points out how this episode implies that we're supposed to root for Spongebob, even in the Squidward Torture Episodes. But to be fair, most of the Squidward Torture Episodes occured after Season 5, the season "Breath of Fresh Squidward" aired. And some of the Squid Abuse episodes BEFORE this one weren't even Spongebob's fault (The Campfire Episode, Squid Wood, Club Spongebob). And besides, I actually found BoFS to be pretty good, mainly because I found the role switching amusing, and I found the ending to be pretty hilarious (when EVERYONE became Squidward!).

Mantis

killer queen best stand
GordokTheMad said:
Almost everywhere I go, when it comes to a topic involving New Spongebob, I always see comments that constantly bash Spongebob himself. I’m talking about comments that constantly say negative things about Spongebob. I’m not referring to when people have called him a crybaby, or an annoying pest, or even the Cubic Creeper. I’m referring to people who basically talk horribly about Spongebob, calling him Satan, or saying that he has no good nature and he’s a horrible person, or that he needs to die or be tortured or something like that. I respect opinions, but people talking horribly about Spongebob himself is just getting very irritating and even a little heart-breaking. I saw MrEnter’s rant on One Coarse Meal (which was somewhat decent, by the way) and I was starting to get a little upset when he started talking about Spongebob’s good nature. (Skip to 6:04 to see what I’m talking about.)

(WARNING: LANGUAGE BELOW AS WELL AS DISTURBING CONTENT)

Okay, let me start off by saying that Spongebob ripping off Squidward’s toenail was an ACCIDENT! And for Cephalopod Lodge, he was only curious to see what Squiddy was doing since he was so eerily happy. In Choir Boys, he REFUSED to join the choir unless Squidward had a part in it. He wanted Squidward to take part in it. And Squidward didn’t really have to do it, either. Also, on his list of other episodes where his “bad nature” is displayed, half of those episodes he picked are either episodes where Spongebob wasn’t at fault, episodes where he at least had some good intention and spirit behind them, or episodes where power and money had consumed him temporarily (referring to the Abrasive Side, Good Neighbors, Squid Wood, Summer Job, Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful, Porous Pockets, Karate Island, and Boating (he’s not the one who got Squidward beat up!)). But what REALLY upsets me is the fact that he actually says that Spongebob has NO good nature, and that he got what he deserved in Gone (which is one of his favorite episodes, by the way). He even went far to say that the only good thing in The Splinter is the fact that the horrible gruesome pain was happening to Spongebob himself.

What makes his rant so horribly mean-spirited (and false) is that he doesn’t even mention ANY episode where Spongebob actually displays good nature. What about FUN, Christmas Who, Band Geeks, I’m With Stupid, Single Cell Anniversary, Plankton’s Pet, Safe Deposit Krabs, Can You Spare a Dime, Born Again Krabs, Rock-A-Bye Bivalve, Have You Seen This Snail, Ripped Pants, Texas, Valentine’s Day, Bossy Boots, Big Pink Loser, Grandma’s Kisses, Squidville, Jellyfish Hunter, Krusty Love, My Pretty Seahorse, The Sponge Who Could Fly, Squilliam Returns, Clams, Shell of A Man, Good Neighbors (he at least TRIED to be a good neighbor), Skill Crane, Chimps Ahoy, Ghost Host, MM&BB 6 The Motion Picture, Whale of A Birthday, That’s No Lady, Wishing You Well, The Thing, Bucket Sweet Bucket, The Two Faces of Squidward, Stanley S. Squarepants, Spongicus, The Krabby Kronicle, Overbooked, Greasy Buffoons, Love That Squid, Enchanted Tiki Dreams, Spongebob’s Last Stand, KBBB, Gary In Love, The Curse of The Hex, Sponge-cano!, Karate Star, Shellback Shenanigans, It’s A Spongebob Christmas, Are You Happy Now, Squid Baby, and Squid Defense.

Here, I just listed just about EVERY episode I could find where Spongebob showed even the slightest hint of decency. The only episodes I can think of where Spongebob was OOC (where he showed no kindness or decency whatsoever) are A Pal For Gary, Party Pooper Pants and Boating Buddies (though, he wasn’t really mean, more like stalkerish). After listing ALL of these episodes, I dare you to tell me that Spongebob has no good nature. Spongebob is a sweet, kind-hearted Sponge who, even in the new Spongebob, has the good spirit of an angel! So, why are people constantly talking trash about him like this?
Gordok, Gone is not Mr. Enter's favorite episode. He said that in his commentary about his One Coarse Meal review. He just said that as a joke to get the point across. And he said that Spongebob has no good nature in the POST movie episodes, specifically in seasons 5-7.

EVSPONGEFAN

Balloon Traveler
Some people forget about good SpongeBob and they just base the sponge off of the ones like One Coarse Meal or A Pal For Gary. They dont mention good episodes, they just bas the show off of the really terrible ones. I hate when people just go on and on and on and on about SpongeBob and how bad it is, people make it like Spongebob never had good episodes....I know this might not be what you are asking about, but I just wanted to put it out there

Patrick-Man!

Floating Shopping List
because (and im sure people have said this) the haters keep commenting on the BAD episodes. forgetting the good ones. yeah spongebob has some bad episodes (to me there are no bad episodes) but in reality some are ehh. and these idiots just think about those instead of the good ones. theres more to the new episodes then the bad ones and to be honest there are more great/good episodes then bad. people just assume they are bad. im glad its slowly getting back to being as popular as it once was but im one of those people that ALWAYS loved spongebob no matter what. i just cant stand these haters just assuming the worse

More

VIP
The only episodes I really can trash talk Spongebob about are SITKWS, SITW, And APFG. I can watch all the other forty episodes I dislike in one batch and I'll be fine.

Homie

get outer my space!
People are constantly talking trash about Spongebob because it has gradually gotten worse over time.

the+more+you+know.png

ScumBob

sicko m0de
Patrick-Man! said:
because (and im sure people have said this) the haters keep commenting on the BAD episodes. forgetting the good ones. yeah spongebob has some bad episodes (to me there are no bad episodes) but in reality some are ehh. and these idiots just think about those instead of the good ones. theres more to the new episodes then the bad ones and to be honest there are more great/good episodes then bad. people just assume they are bad. im glad its slowly getting back to being as popular as it once was but im one of those people that ALWAYS loved spongebob no matter what. i just cant stand these haters just assuming the worse
I like to think of new SpongeBob and old SpongeBob as separate series. MrEnter was CLEARLY talking about the new era-series.

SpongeBox

Floating Shopping List
Yeah, I have noticed the bashing the newer episodes have gotten since Season 4. Personally, I like both the old and the new SpongeBob. I've actually seen almost every episode too.

delete my account

PRESIDENT
Two things:
1. MrEnter (the reviewer from the first post about the thread) is actually MUCH more open up about SB on DeviantART than on YouTube. Not only does he count pre-movie episodes as atrocitys (based on his atrocity scorecard), but he has watched all of S4-8 and found good episodes in all of them - even in S6-7. Not sure why he's more honest, there - probably exaggerates his anger in his videos for emphasis, if not, comedic effect.

Furthermore, he thinks that abuse to a character can work if the character did something in that EPISODE to deserve it. That's why he hates episodes like Little Yellow Book and Stuck in the Wringer - the abuse was unjustified.

Also, in his commentary of his review, he mentioned that Gone is NOT one of his favorite episodes and has it marked down as an atrocity (he even calls it cruel and mean-spirited).
2. It's not so much that people hate New Spongebob because it's new - it's simply because there has been a downhill in quality so immense, fans have given up on the show. When a show has episodes that make fun of suicide and usually rely on abusing one main character (in contrast to the simple plots filled with both genuine kid/adult humor in the early seasons), it's clear that something's not right. Some episodes are just so intense, they anger viewers to the point where they are genuinely convinced that the show is dead. It's no different here. After S6-7, which featured the worst episodes of the entire show, some fans left the community and no longer support the show. And people just don't have the time or patience to wait for an entire season to air, especially it when moves slower than Lightning Larry Luciano (S9) - so they most likely won't give the show a second chance.
It could also be because some fans have became older and have outgrown the show.

It's not unjustified, and it's not bias - it's just opinions. Opinions that people think come out of nowhere when, in reality, are balanced by certain factors - whether it be a decline in quality, nostalgia, or simply because the viewers aren't kids/teens anymore. Remember that these things are subjective, so they don't have to be based on actual facts.

So that's all I have to say. I practically wrote a novel, so I'm just going to keep my final line short and simple - there MAY actually be some logic behind the haters' reasoning.

EVSPONGEFAN

Balloon Traveler
People are just basing the show off of what others say, if someone says something like the show now sucks, everyone is probably going to repeat that and NOT think over it. They just can't look into any good into a SB episode? A Pal For Gary had a good beginning, SB thought Gary was lonely at home and wanted a play-mate. I believe that is a great beginning! Or in House Fancy, that toenail scene was really....detailed, but the rest of the episode was a good episode to me. People can't waist their time ranting and ranting on how some show apparently turned bad.

Don't get me wrong, I still find the classic episodes to be funnier than the newer episode. It just has a little more...pizazz.But, new SB is about just as good at old SB.

It's just that if you love SB than you should try to find the best out of episodes and ACTUALLY watch some of the better newer episodes and not make it like the show has gone to a terrible place and that it can never be the same. My point is that SB is still a great show and some people (not all) can't understand that SB will always be a #1 show.

That is my opinion, sorry if someone believes old SB is better than the newer one, I just needed to put that out there

Back