Who's pumped for the World Cup?!

Wumbo

Part Computer or Something
USA did pretty well last time so being from the USA, I have high hopes that they won't be eliminated too quickly. Even if they drop fast, It's still fun to watch the best of the best play. For anyone that doesn't know, It begins on June 12th and ends on July 13th.

Moxley♥

We out here in heaven, smoking big doinks in heave
England%20flag-XXL-anim.gif

all day

TropicalNards112233

Krabby Patty Burglar
I'm pretty pumped. I'm starting a betting pool with my friends this summer for it. Unfortunately, I have no idea who's really good or not.

RedSoxFan274

Baseball. Hockey. SBM vet. I drop in unexpectedly.
President Squidward said:
Then what was the point of posting here then?
Hey, I was gonna say the same thing. :P

Personally, what befuddles me about the World Cup is why the media makes such a huge deal out of it and out of the American team... THE AMERICAN TEAM IS TERRIBLE! I remember 2010, it was ridiculous! People went NUTS because we beat ALGERIA! Okay, let me tell you something... when we beat at a sport a country that sounds like we were probably at war with at some indeterminate time or will be at some indeterminate time in the future and THAT'S the highest level of competition we're capable of taking down... that's nothing to be excited about. I remember people made a big deal because the U.S. and England were in the same group four years ago. EVERYONE KNEW IT WAS GOING TO BE A BLOWOUT! Soccer is to England what football is to the U.S. and what hockey is to Canada--we're in over our heads if we think we can beat England at soccer! (Same thing goes for Canada with Olympic hockey.)

The U.S. never advances beyond the round of 16, if that, in the World Cup. And Brazil always wins. You know how there are certain teams in sports who are always good no matter what, and certain teams who are always bad no matter what? Think of it this way...

Brazil's the Yankees. Brazil's the Red Wings. We're barely the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes or the Val-d'Or Foreurs.

EDIT: Wait, what... Spain won four years ago?

See, I know nothing.

DOUBLE EDIT: Looks like this year the U.S. is in the same group as Portugal, Germany, and Ghana. We're not advancing from that group. We'll get creamed by Portugal and Germany and, believe it or not, Ghana has really good soccer teams. I don't even think we'll get past them.

WE HAVE BASEBALL AS OUR NATIONAL PASTIME FOR A REASON, PEOPLE! :p

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
We're gonna crash out in the group stage losing to Italy and Uruguay. Hodgson will be sacked, players will retire from the national team and we lose foreign star players in our league.

This is going to be bad.

RedSoxFan274 said:
I remember people made a big deal because the U.S. and England were in the same group four years ago. EVERYONE KNEW IT WAS GOING TO BE A BLOWOUT! Soccer is to England what football is to the U.S. and what hockey is to Canada--we're in over our heads if we think we can beat England at soccer! (Same thing goes for Canada with Olympic hockey.)
...and then we drew. Yep, we drew to the U.S...

America had a SOOOO much better tournament in South Africa than us.

EVSPONGEFAN

Balloon Traveler
I AM!!! The world cup is pretty exciting to watch. I love soccer, I also love to root for my teams, and yell at the TV. Yet, SPAIN GIVE IT A REST! JK, JK, Spain does do a great job, though. CAN'T WAIT!!!

TropicalNards112233

Krabby Patty Burglar
I'm going to my friend's house to watch the Brazil vs Croatia match. She has a huge tv so it better be awesome. A bunch of people in my friend group are making bets on the winner of the entire cup. My money's on Brazil!

TropicalNards112233

Krabby Patty Burglar
E.V.I.L said:
Lucky
everyone here just goes nuts over non-american things like soccer (and in a bad way)
Meanwhile all of my friends hate baseball because it's too boring.

RedSoxFan274

Baseball. Hockey. SBM vet. I drop in unexpectedly.
To be fair, I think pretty much any sport can be considered boring. I think soccer's somewhat boring, and I definitely think football's boring. On the other hand, there are plenty of people who find baseball boring, and certainly I'm an outlier as someone living in a warm climate who doesn't think hockey is boring.

The only sport I don't really hear called boring a lot is basketball, but I'm sure it has its detractors, as well.

Back