Who wants to be a Millionaire has been cancelled

Yoh Manta

Moby Dollar
I'm surprised too, these really are the kind of shows you expect to "go on forever". It was one of my favorite game shows to watch when I was young, but I've long outgrown that kind of TV.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
Honestly, it's about time. It's no Jeopardy or WOF so it should've ended after Meredith was a host. Maybe they can revive Classic Concentration next :P

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
I remember when Regis was hosting. My dad called in once and made it past their initial phone screening, which my brother and I thought was so cool (we were 11 years old at the time). I forget what happened after that, but he obviously never quit his day job. ;)

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
I loved it when it first aired in primetime in 1999 on the ABC television network with Regis Philbin hosting. They brought him back twice, to host Super Millionaire, and to host Who Wants to be a Millionaire's 10th Anniversary special.

This show went through a revolving door of different set designs, hot seats/podiums, game show hosts, and lifelines were often changed each season, most notable was the removal of the "phone-a-friend" lifeline. The addition of the "Thousandaire" bonus round where they invite an audience member up to play for $1,000 if they get one question right with no lifelines at the end of a show was a nice touch.

The game show had it's fair share of imitators over the past twenty years, such as Greed, Win Ben Stein's Money, Deal or No Deal, etc.

I also remember the McDonald's Who Wants to be a Millionaire Trivia Game from 1999, plus I've seen a few used copies of the Pressman Who Wants to be a Millionaire 1999 edition of the home game at my local Goodwill store where I currently work.

Now it's sad to see it go after twenty great years...

I hope it goes out with one more good "final answer." :)

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
It was just one of those shows that was not very popular and hung around a bit too long
It was popular:
Since its introduction to the United States, Game Show Network credited Who Wants to Be a Millionaire with not only single-handedly reviving the game show genre, but also breaking new ground for it. The series revolutionized the look and feel of game shows with its unique lighting system, dramatic music cues, and futuristic set. The show also became one of the highest-rated and most popular game shows in U.S. television history, and has been credited with paving the way for the rise of the primetime reality TV phenomenon to prominence throughout the 2000s.

The U.S. Millionaire also made catchphrases out of various lines used on the show. In particular, "Is that your final answer?", asked by Millionaire's hosts whenever a contestant's answer needs to be verified, was popularized by Philbin during his tenure as host, and was also included on TV Land's special "100 Greatest TV Quotes and Catch Phrases", which aired in 2006. Meanwhile, during his tenure as host, Cedric signed off shows with a catchphrase of his own, "Watch yo' wallet!"

The original primetime version of the U.S. Millionaire won two Daytime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Game/Audience Participation Show in 2000 and 2001. Philbin was honored with a Daytime Emmy in the category of Outstanding Game Show Host in 2001, while Vieira received one in 2005, and another in 2009. TV Guide ranked the U.S. Millionaire #7 on its 2001 list of the 50 Greatest Game Shows of All Time, and later ranked it #6 on its 2013 "60 Greatest Game Shows" list. Game Show Network ranked Millionaire #5 on its August 2006 list of the 50 Greatest Game Shows of All Time, and later honored the show in January 2007 on its only Gameshow Hall of Fame special.

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
I mean, it was popular, but later it got a bit staleish kinda sorta
True. It got stale after Meredith Vieira left.
With Millionaire gone, I'm excited for the revival of Press Your Luck.
I love seeing both people win because the landed on a big bucks or prize panel, or lose because they landed on a "Whammy" panel.
("Come on now...big bucks, no Whammies!")

Last edited:
Back